1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Buller in August

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by CookieMonster, Jul 31, 2019.

1. CookieMonster

CookieMonster First Runs

What's the prediction for lifts open in mid-August?

Whats usually open?

2. LiveToSki

LiveToSki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Everything (or nothing, depending on the snow)

3. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

The pub?

CookieMonster likes this.
  4. Dos

Dos One of Us

Buller's weather has been pretty mean to me this year. I only have one day off each week on Monday. Often, the weather was good throughout the week then fogged up heavily or rained on bloody Mondays!

5. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

In honesty, I hope that Buller is good at the end of August - I am going to be there from the 27th to the 30th, but it will be my first time there, so I can't give any insight on conditions

6. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Given they have that ice muncher thing, surely they will keep one run open until the end, no matter what?

Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  7. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

It can be ok or even great occasionally.

If you haven't booked your digs, be prepared to go to Hotham or Falls if the report looks ordinary. But try to add a Friday or Monday too get value for the weekend.

On the other hand FCk & Hotham involve a lot of driving, so in good snow & esp if restricted to 1-2 days, go Buller. Buller has a great selection of run when 90-100% of mt. is open.

8. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    CookieMonster, dibl0c, DbSki and 2 others like this.
  9. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I feel partially responsible because I suspect the reason it hasn't snowed a lot yet is its waiting for the new cams to be installed.
    I mean no point in lots of snows if we can't see it in 1080p High Definition
    But OTH I have been waiting for snow so I can go up for a day or two and have a decent ski as well.
    But...now we are into August I think I'm going to have to take one for the team and just go up anyway and fit them, have a skid on the summit and a spag bol and then come home and watch all the new snow fall in HD.

GS, MickM, LiveToSki and 6 others like this.
  10. luvthabumps

I'll be up there from 16th for about a week - 10 days for IS if you want to do it then. I've got renters in next weekend (Thursday - Monday) but mid weeks are slow this year

DbSki likes this.
  11. CookieMonster

CookieMonster First Runs

Lucky enough to go Buller for a day and then Hotham right after ;)

cookieman likes this.
  12. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Just got Email day or so ago saying Orchard and Keogh's is open too but Orchard looks shut on their web site.

13. CookieMonster

CookieMonster First Runs

After next week all of Hotham will be open every run, maybe a couple closed due to snow conditions. Hopefully Buller is the same :)

DbSki likes this.
  14. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

This is a skiing / boarding forum. I realise we get newbies on here but WTF.

I just deleted the line I’d written because I thought I would give this a crack and provide an answer for you.

If it snows a lot between now and then, all lifts will be open. If it doesn’t snow between now and the all lifts might be open but some mightn’t be. If it’s cold enough they might make snow which means all lifts might might be open but some might not be but if it warms up some lifts might close but some will probably still be open.

If it only snows a bit, all lifts might be open but some might be closed. If it rains between now and then all lifts might be closed but some might be open. If it rains between now and then but also snows then all lifts might be open but some might be closed, depending on whether the rain comes before the snow or if the rain comes after the snow.

Some lifts might close if the wind blows too hard but some or all might stay open depending on how hard the wind blows and from what direction.

It’s possible that they could have some mechanical problems around the time you’re there which could affect one or more lifts, resulting in it or them not being open but if no mechanical issues affect any lifts then they might all be open barring lack of snow, rain or wind.

I was going to sign off now but thought i’d best cover off one other scenario. If you’re checking lifts out between 4:45-5:00pm and 9:00am the lifts probably won’t be running........................but they might be depending on if they are running or not.

I hope this helps.

GS and CookieMonster like this.
  15. Dos

Dos One of Us

I feel dizzy after reading your post and still don't know if the lifts will be running or not.

DPS Driver likes this.
  16. luvthabumps

I believe this prediction will be shown to be correct, right on cue for my arrival Friday for 9 days :D

DbSki likes this.