1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Buller Skis

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by 2ndeffort, Aug 1, 2018.

1. 2ndeffort

2ndeffort Hard Yards

Demo'd a couple of sets of skis a fortnight ago and realised my 12 year old Nordicas are indeed getting long in the tooth. Looking for a new set of skis to spend 10 months of the year hanging on the wall in our Lodge.

I've been researching and talking to folks in shops. Seems most places sell wide all-mountain skis mainly. I've skied in Vail and Niseko in a couple of feet of Pow and as much as I'd love to do that regularly at Buller I cant see it happening.....ever. In all likelihood I will be skiing on man made snow or ice or slush and probably dodging exposed dirt and trees and rocks. I've looked at frontside skis or technical carving skis, interested in opinions on what type of ski best suits Buller. I am a middle aged guy now and likely mostly to ski the runs. I will probably ski more of Wombat than I will of Wood Run simply because 2 spirited laps of wood run and I will be limping for a week from the swelling in my knees.

I am thinking the right kind of ski holds an edge well, has a waist of around 80-90 to stay stable on chop and is both fast and forgiving. Interested in opinions

Chaeron likes this.
  2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

This is right in my wheelhouse.

I've skied a few thousand days at Buller. Since 2008 I've had numerous pairs of approx 90mm waisted all-mountain skis. Every time I stray from this I regret it.

Current pair are Black Crows Orbs - love them.

I'm a bit different in that I'm more Wood Run than Wombat, so with that in mind I'd look at the Atomic Vantage 90 Ti, Salomon QST 92 & K2 Pinnacle 88Ti,

If you want to go a little narrower definitely check out the Black Crows Vertis or Nordica Navigator 85.

crackson likes this.
  3. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Hi CarveMan, a bit of a bump here.

Just wondering - are any of these models mentioned suitable - including light enough - for side country /short BC touring on skins? I note Black Crows do some Freebird versions that I believe are for such purposes. So many models/choices! Very hard to get a ski that's good on soft pow/slush & also firm piste , that's also light enough to skin on (say 3-3.5 kg pair for a 185cm?) with solid Tele binding.

Thanks in advance CM - quite a bump! (;-)

4. CarveMan

Yes that's correct about the Black Crows Freebird range, they are lighter than their regular alpine counterparts although this weight comes at a performance compromise. https://aussieskier.com/products/black-crows-orb-freebird-skis or the all new Camox Freebird (would be my choice) https://aussieskier.com/products/black-crows-camox-freebird-skis?variant=41992125384

The new K2 Wayback 88 is something to really consider as well. Super super light but they've also managed to include titanal without weighing it down: https://aussieskier.com/products/k2-wayback-88-alpine-touring-skis-2019?variant=8650165026927

If you think you might be better off with an Alpine ski that's at the lighter end of the weight range have a look at the Fischer Ranger 90 Ti - 1.7kg per ski which is not bad for a ski that performs: https://aussieskier.com/products/fischer-ranger-90-ti-skis

5. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Thanks CM,
    Some good-great suggestions by the looks. The Camox looks bang on for dimensions and weight and if they ski well on & a little bit off piste would do the job.

Waybacks seem to have a good reputation in the Bc - not so sure for on piste/firm - my wife's short (170) Talkback 88 are very to Tele/alpine turn on in fresh (dump#3 at Blue Ribbon start of Sept, 2017). So I know the series like soft/deep. I'd be a 96 waist I reckon - my current Tele on piste is already 83mm (Rossi Powderbird - looking narrow these days!!) orb looks ok - maybe a tad narrow?

Fischer 90 looks like a nice ski - perhaps a tad heavier than I'd look but it's all shades of grey.

Pressure is off as I haven't ordered my Tele binding yet (I like the Bomber BMR from Colorado).

Thanks very much for the info/links CM. (;-)

CarveMan likes this.
  6. CarveMan

Just FYI the Waybacks are brand new this year with a radically different construction

7. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Can I please ask what the difference is? My only Real reference point is the oldish shortish Talkback I mentioned - they easily tackled skinning to/on the twins, & turns up top (same) in addition to fresh deep snow on piste. Being 190 cm on (borrowed) 170 cm they loved tight trees in the fresh. Perhaps less sure on the firm - where my Rossi would still be the go to plank. Cheers. SG

8. CarveMan

Much lighter and included Titanal in the construction leading to a stiffer flex are the main differences. We’ve got the 88 and 96.

9. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Cheers - should check them out sometime.

Assume Its a actual store too?

10. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future! Ski Pass: Gold

Weight also has a bearing on the skis that will suit. I've skied Head Monster 88's at Perisher in conditions ranging from inclined skating rink to spring slush and found them excellent. But then I was carrying 120kg at the time. They would probably be too much ski for me if I were around 80kg. They are definitely fast, but for an average weight skier they would require a confident pilot. They don't like hesitancy or wavering commitment.

This year I've found Blizzard Latigos fitted the bill for me. Forgiving, yes. Fast, they can handle more speed than I can. But they’re out of production and probably not available any more. And at 78mm underfoot, a bit narrower than you're looking for. Nonetheless they were able to drift over wet slushy piles or blast through them depending on my mood.

I'm keen to try the Nordica Navigator 85 as well. They've got a big rap from overseas reviewers for punching well above their price bracket. So far I've only found one review where the reviewer has found their speed limit.

11. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

How are the new Waybacks on the piste Carve.

From the Talkbacks, I have no doubt as to their ability off piste, and in fresh 30-50 cm dry/pow.

Whether WBs esp 96, are ok to use as one’s prime plank say on a flight to NZ? Or just taking one on a light gear / rushed trip to hills?

12. alsactive

alsactive Hard Yards

Thanks for the advice, popped into your shop and bought the Black Crows on Friday! Not up the hill until next weekend!

CarveMan likes this.
  13. CarveMan

:woohoo: