Buller's Old Triple Chair - Not for Baw Baw...

Forty

Hard Yards
Dec 17, 2000
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Following the debarcle of Baw Baw losing its access chair, the old Triple Chair from Buller would have made an ideal proposal to re-introduce a chair at Mt Baw Baw.

The chair could be used for both snow and mountain bikes in the summer/out of season.

Does anyone know what the cost of installing the Triple chair would be?

Its a bit disappointing to see Selwyn operate as a well oiled machine and then see Baw Baw lose opportunities like a triple chair.

Cheers, 40

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Buller sold the Heli Flat / Abom chair to Selwyn and it is now installed up there ready to go as soon as they open for the season. However there is an old chairlift removed every few years somewhere in Australia, so Baw Baw could buy another one without too much trouble.

However "The powers that be" appear to have deliberately sabotaged any chance of another chairlift at Baw Baw by building that flash newish cafe on the site of the terminal.
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Yardsale

Part of the Furniture
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
I don't know that the jeep track is ever going to be a viable run again at Baw Baw. Somewhere like the Summit would
probably be the best choice (it would mean all the learners would not have to play dogem cars with the T bar)

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2000
vic
The original "Chairlift Run" only went a third of the way down beside the full length Jeep Track Run and loaded at a mid station.
It often had enuf snow, if a bit soft.
When BB becomes a club resort again they might clear a new blackish run from the top of Tank Hill and put in a rope tow a la NZ . mmmm Bring your own climbing harness so the nutcracker belt doesn't cut u in half...

Petesguitar1

Hard Yards
Aug 10, 2008
Visit site
Occasionally we would do mifnight missions and get friends to pick us up in a car at the bottom of that run. Was beautiful skiing under moonlight when it was clear. It's a shame that a little more thought wasn't put into the chairlift. Bawbawbel, when you say the top of tank gill, would that go right down to where the old chair used to finish? That would be a fantastic idea!

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2000
vic
Need to be a vee ess gee to explore the possibilities.
First we would maybe bulldoze a home trail from the top of said Hill running below the "newish cafe" (did u know that it was originally planned as an admin center where the proceeds of trail fees would be stored and counted?) to the back of the day carpark.

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne
Hey, I like the idea of a home trail that goes from the top of Tank Hill all the way to the Day car Park!! Bring it on! The current home trail is useful but its a bit of a slog up past the cafe and along to the carpark.

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne
The bottom of the old chair lift line probably had enough snow for a run 20 odd years ago, but now? I'm not sure...

If anywhere needs a chair lift, it's Summit. It's long enough, and plenty of people use it...

toddles

Hard Yards
Apr 3, 2003
FTG
A chairlift would be great back in the area it was originally, The problem with skiing to the bottom, is that the run has been left to grow for a long time now. Enough snow is not the problem. The problem is there are 30ft sapplings and 20ft bushes in the way! The run would need to be cleared again in order to install another chairlift. Imagine if the old chairlift run was slashed in summer so it was a beautiful short grassy surface the whole way down
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
. It would then be skiable for 20-30 days per season I reckon.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
On a related topic - I wonder when BBaw will order new snowguns and cover some runs top to bottom - in addition to tank hill. Current snowaking is a good start but one can't help feel with guns only at the bottom of runs the job is only 1/3-1/2 finished.

Any thoughts or ideas?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Kahanamoku said:
top of the runs are too flat, and wouldn't benefit from the sticky snow that snow guns produce.

I'm not a snowgun tech but even guns halfway-2/3 up say Champagne run would help - that's got a nice slope to it.

Sorry, Sounds more like will (or won't)power & budget!

SuskiQ

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 16, 1999
Mostly Australia
snowgum said:
Kahanamoku said:
top of the runs are too flat, and wouldn't benefit from the sticky snow that snow guns produce.

I'm not a snowgun tech but even guns halfway-2/3 up say Champagne run would help - that's got a nice slope to it.

Sorry, Sounds more like will (or won't)power & <span style='font-size: 23pt'>budget! </span>
kaaa ching!

and there are snow guns down the lower section of champagne

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass