1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Buy gear in Oz or Canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Spielmeister, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Spielmeister

Spielmeister Hard Yards

Apologies if this has been covered in some way many moons ago but was wondering if it will be better price-wise to buy ski gear here in Australia (Brisbane) or once I get to Canada. I'm planning on travelling with the family for most of the month of January 2017 (yes, I know I'm early) around much of Eastern BC (Big White, Sun Peaks, Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Panorama, Fernie etc) so thought it would be easier to at least buy the kids their own clothing (just jacket and pants, they have the rest) for the whole trip rather than renting every time we move. I'm also chasing a new pair of boots. First stop will likely be Kelowna. Please let me know your thoughts and if there are any stores in Kelowna or Vernon that are good if you think purchasing in Canada is the go.
    Thanks

2. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

If your first stop is kelowna... go here:

http://www.playitagainsportskelowna.com/

We go there each year and you can outfit the kids, they will fit them properly and tune all equipment. At the end of the trip if you wish to sell it back top them they will take it. Much cheaper than renting all the gear on the hills if you are going for an extended time.

I can not praise this shop enough :D

skifree likes this.
  3. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The sheer range in Canada will trump whatever you can get here, and the clothing they stock is suited to the conditions you are likely to experience.

If you see a bargain here, go for it otherwise I'd buy overseas. As for pricing, we were in Whistler in Feb this year and the prices were pretty much on par with home, it's just that the sheer range of stuff they had trumped anything I'd seen here..

4. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

That was our feeling too. The prices may not be better but the choice is huge.

5. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Canada range is far superior, but I would imagine if you are buying at the beginning of their season, then pricing wont be significantly better.

If you are considering skis and clothing, then perhaps look online at the end of their 2016 season to see how you go (and allow for kids' growth). For boots, definitely buy when you get there

6. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

If you're not locked into ski/snowboard specific clothing, then the range of choice is massive. Big box places like Canadian Tire and Walmart have winter outdoor wear galore. Pretty much all 35 million Canadian men, women and children need outer wear suitable for winter. That leads to selection and price you could only dream about. Sportchek and Sportmart have loads of choices too, more ski-specific but not exclusively so. Lots of independent ski shops have kids exchange programs of their own.

7. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Oh wouldn't that be nice if it was legal LOL

8. John Miller232

John Miller232 First Runs

You can buy a lot more stuff and gear on Canada especially considering a lot of people travel to Canada for skiing, snowboarding, hiking, etc... You will find a far more diverse selection of equipment. Price wise it may be cheaper to buy in Australia as the demand may not be as high. But the quality and selections may be better to buy in Canada. One other option is ski rental companies you can rent winter gear from at a very affordable price range.

9. gareth_oau

How big was your shovel to dig this thread up? LOL

Jonathan_P and Piste Again like this.
  10. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly What a plonker. Ski Pass: Gold

He should change his handle to "Graverobber".

Or maybe he's grooming us to buy cheap flights via Fiji...

Legs Akimbo likes this.
  11. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

More like 'ski rental'...

12. gareth_oau

I enjoy a good grooming

Marty_McSly likes this.