1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Buying 5 lift passes without knowing names and DOB of all the guests?

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by James April, Mar 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. James April

James April First Runs

Hi,

So I have booked an apartment for 5 people but currently we only have 3 confirmed going including myself. For various reasons who aren't sure who the other 2 will be for perhaps another month.

I am worried about not being able to get 5 lift passes if I wait too long. I tried buying 5 Epic Passes but they require name and birthday for each pass.

How can i ensure I get lift passes for the 5 days we are there even though I won't know all the guests until perhaps another month from now?

2. ShavedBadger

ShavedBadger Latte Sipper Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

They haven't finalised the 2021 pricing and availability just yet, so I wouldn't be too concerned. The Epic passes wouldn't really stack up value-wise anyway I wouldn't have thought?

3. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

In previous years the break even point of Epic v Day passes was 7 days or so

4. James April

James April First Runs

My booking is in Mid August, so realistically how long can I wait to order the day passes?

Isn't there a chance they will sell out if I don't buy them quickly enough?

Also, do they day passes require the names of the guests upon booking? Because if they don't then I will happily buy them as soon as they are available, but if they do then I will have to wait to figure out who is coming.

5. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

All passes at perisher operate the rfid system meaning name and photo are linked to the pass

James April and Donzah like this.
  6. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Invent (borrow) names & ages and make sure your guests correct the information upon arrival & collection of said passes.

7. Jasper Schwarz

Jasper Schwarz One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I would take a guess at who you expect to come, put it in their names, and then if it changes talk to guest services

would be my advice. They are usually pretty good at sorting things out

James April likes this.
  8. skifree

Protip, don’t order a lift pass for Ski MacSkiface.

Tom from Melbourne likes this.
  9. Donzah

Donzah Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse. Ski Pass: Gold

Day passes will have covid restrictions applied this season.
    So limited numbers again.

James April likes this.
  10. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

At a more brutal level, why is it your problem?

James April likes this.
  11. Tom from Melbourne

Tom from Melbourne One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Last year I was the key organiser for the extended family ski trip.

Booking accomodation, securing lift passes.

Did it, got the only lift operating week at Falls.

This year downgraded to only my own immediate family...

@James April I think my advice would be to be prepared to stress a lot... especially if ticket demand is high and capacity is low. I had what felt like a team of people waiting for tickets to be available and to make sure we got them.

James April likes this.
  12. James April

James April First Runs

I would happily do this for the epic passes for example, but they seem to be pretty adamant on the website that you can't change who the pass is for. I have emailed them anyways, waiting to hear back.

13. skifree

Yeah, I might have been tongue in cheek. Sorry should have included a winky.

Maybe you could just claim shit spelling and some condition that maybe makes you read & write backwards sortoff.;)

James April likes this.
  14. James April

James April First Runs

I want to go on a ski holiday with a group of people. I am the organiser of the holiday and the one paying. Currently 2 of my original party of 5 have pulled out but I have reason to believe things may change and perhaps they will in fact come. However they may not and I may have to find 2 more people, but I am relatively new to Melb so don't have a stack of friends to ask to come. Therefore I am biding my time, seeing who would be best to ask, hoping that the original 2 figure out a way to come as they are choice #1.

So I would love if I could just book say the epic passes or anything that guarantees 5 lift tickets for 5 days and then assign names closer to the month of the trip. I am worried that I will wait a few weeks and the day tickets will all be sold out, but I honestly don't know how it works and the covid situation last year has gotten me very confused trying to figure out exactly how it does work. So for peace of mind I keep coming back to the epic passes even though they cost more.

15. James April

James April First Runs

This would be fine, if I can secure the passes but assign names and photos closer to August.

16. skifree

Fuvkem all, look after yourself, go skiing.

17. Legs Akimbo

I have organised several trips and events. The task became a lot simpler when I decided that my participants were adults. I told them what they had to do, but whether and how they did it was their problem. The next breakthrough was telling them that nothing was guaranteed until it was paid for in full, and that refunds for change of mind were discretionary. A refund depended on them (not you) finding a replacement. You are not the banker and financier for anyone but the most immediate of your family.

18. James April

James April First Runs

That's why I am keen to buy the epic Australia passes, for piece of mind. Currently waiting on support to see if I can buy without assigning a name to 2 of the passes.

Tom from Melbourne likes this.
  19. James April

James April First Runs

90% of the reason I'm booking this trip is for the joy of doing this with a group of people, 10% for the powder that I hope will be waiting for me!

20. chicski

chicski Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Chance are 99.9% against you. It’s all to do with the non-transferrable thing.

21. chicski

And good luck with the powder too ;)

skifree and Donzah like this.
  22. Donzah

You can't.
    Your epic pass will basically have every bit of info besides your blood type

23. Legs Akimbo

There is no joy in booking a trip for a group of people.

24. chicski

And FWIW I don’t think there were any restrictions by august last year and day tickets were easily available, especially mid week.

James April likes this.
  25. Donzah

Good for you.
    I don't think there is any more advice people can give you re.

26. James April

James April First Runs

Are you refering to the epic passes or the day tickets?

I'm still tryna wrap my head around how the day tickets work, will they announce a time in advance where I will be able to purchase 5 day tickets for me and my guests? And if I fail to buy them is it still possible to buy the tickets on the actual day in mid august or must the tickets be prepurchased?

27. Jasper Schwarz

Jasper Schwarz One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

So re-reading your comments above. It sounds like this is a more social event than to go skiing and that’s fair enough. When I go skiing with my mates they know I’m there to ski etc.

To answer your two questions; yes they will release the days and you’ll have to go online and book them. No you normally couldn’t buy tickets on the day, but I’m far from a relevant authority as I only use my epic pass.
    My advice is this (and you have two paths to take)
    1. You leave it to until the beginning of May when they start talking about day tickets, and make a final decision then. It sounds like you have a large disposable income as per messages above, so the value coming off the epic pass is minimal. You can (and IMO should) wait
    2. Alternatively if you are absolutely stressing out about it, then go and buy epic passes for everyone. It almost certainly guarantees your tickets in august (but again, the odds that you don’t get day tickets is low), but you might overspend. I don’t know how many BTC you sold.......

Finally, some semi related advice. Skiing is a very expensive hobby and I hope your mates know how lucky they are. Personally, if someone offered to take me away for a week skiing and luxury accommodation I would be doing evryhthing in my power to make it easy as possible for them. That being said, I agree with the sentiment to tell them what they need to do and get them to do it. If you are hellbent on paying you can bank transfer to sort it out, but personally, it’s always easier to put it in their court. Saves you a lot of headaches and stress

Also bare in mind covid isn’t going anywhere this year and can come back at anytime so it’s important you have that in your head

Ted Harper, LMB and James April like this.
  28. James April

James April First Runs

Very helpful thank you so much!

Care to answer one final question, do you have a guess what date they will stop selling Epic Passes and will they announce in advance that sales of the passes is coming to a close?

29. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Maybe you should stick around here for a bit, check the Perisher threads every few days - guaranteed if there is even a sniff of info on lift passes it’ll be being discussed here. We are kind of addicted to Snowsports in here (unlike your 2 mates it seems!!)

Covid makes predictions tricky. It never was this hard previously.

I totally understand opening your accomodation to friends, but I would be handballing the organising of the lift pass to them. A bit of skin in the game will help them stay committed to actually turning up. It’d be different if it was a transferable pass but it’s not.

Roymond and James April like this.
  30. James April

James April First Runs

Thank you so much for the info. This really isn't my friends doing, I shouldn't have used "pulled out" in my previous reply as that's not what happened.

31. ShavedBadger

ShavedBadger Latte Sipper Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

[​IMG]

32. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

Selling EPIC Australia passes may stop in June, or it may not. There will definitely be prior warning if they decide to stop selling. There may/will be progressive price rises between now and then. Again, Perisher will give prior warning of when EPIC pass price rise will happen. So if you don't know final details for another month I think you will be OK.
    Last year the difference between EPIC pass and a 5 day lift pass was about $200. Since you are prepared to pay $2k per night for accommodation, this difference is insignificant. Having an EPIC pass each will hopefully mean that there are no restrictions re access to the Resort come August. If you don't have EPIC passes, hopefully by August there will be enough snow that 5 day lift passes will be readily available and you will all get to ski.
    If your accommodation is in Jindabyne you will also have the option of skiing at Charlotte Pass or Thredbo. And if your accommodation is at Perisher you will still have the Charlotte Pass option.
    If you are buying all 5 EPIC passes I don't think you need to provide proof of identification for all the other people. They will mail the EPIC pass to you after you have uploaded the photos, and I don't think there is a time limit of when you have to upload photos - you will just not receive that pass until the photo is uploaded. There may be a cut-off point whereby if you haven't uploaded the photos they will not mail the pass to you and you will have to pick it up in person - but all you will need is to present the credit card you used to make the purchase as proof of ID.
    So if you just use "dummy" names and DOBs on the 2 unsure passes (do your best to match sex and age) and then upload the photos once you are sure, at worst they will have an EPIC pass for Peppermint Patty with their own photo on it.
    I give no guarantee of the accuracy of this information - it is just based on my recollection of buying EPIC passes during COVID conditions last year.

James April likes this.
  33. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I'm in (what I think is) a same-same-but-different position.

I booked two separate weeks of accommodation, one in a 2-person room and one in a 5-person room. I am hoping that I can get at least 2 other people to join me an my son in the 5 person room, in which case it's shared costs and a better deal for all - but if I can't manage that, then I have the 2-person as a fall back. Fortunately both are fully refundable (and I intend to cancel one as early as possible, to allow for rebooking).

I wouldn't go to the extent of booking lift passes for the remaining spaces. I had a similar situation in 2019, where I booked a room at Buller through Scoopon. In the end I had one friend join me who had a Mountain Collective pass, and so didn't need lift passes, and the other friend had never skied before, did a single intro lesson for a laugh, but moslty just enjoyed having a few days at the snow and relaxing.

Look at the worst-case scenario - if you are committed to the room, then the max you will currently pay is the room + your lift pass. If you reserve lift passes for people who never actually join you, then you're further out of pocket.

James April and LMB like this.
  34. James April

James April First Runs

Peppermint Patty LOLLOL I emailed the team about this situation and they recommended I not buy anything and as you said, just wait and buy them just before they stop selling when I actually know the guest list. If worst comes to worst and I don't know the guest list then yes Peppermint Patty and Minty Martha born on 01/01/01 will be coming skiiing!!

skifree likes this.
  35. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

Just quietly, I would go for a more normal looking date so as to not raise a flag with Perisher.

James April and LMB like this.