Buying a base - Bright, Dinner Plain, Falls Creek

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
It's my impression at least - Bright doesn't really seem to get much of a look-in as a base for accessing Hotham or Falls. Of course it depends on the occupancy rates, but if you only get a few bookings in winter, a summer as a holiday let isn't going to bring in massive numbers.
when was the last time you were in Bright in summer?
even winter is busy now

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Bright is packed in Winter with people who don't want to pay $$$$$ to stay on the hill.
I think your impression of how busy Bright is not reflective of the reality.
bright is always busy. DP is a ghost town a day after the season closes and not all that much busier at peak times.
when was the last time you were in Bright in summer?
even winter is busy now

Very happy to be wrong on this - I've only really passed through Bright, but when I have gone looking for accommodation outside of cycling season it hasn't seem like demand was very high.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
I think your impression of how busy Bright is, is not reflective of the reality.

bright is always busy. DP is a ghost town a day after the season closes and not all that much busier at peak times.

Correct

Summer
Bikes
Autumn festival
Spring festival
Winter

Bright is almost too busy... IMO

Reactions: Sadie and Chaeron

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Correct

Summer
Bikes
Autumn festival
Spring festival
Winter

Bright is almost too busy... IMO
I've shared my opinion of bright as a tourist ghetto on here plenty of times before. I can't imagine why anyone would actually want to live there. but some love it.

I don't go there much these days but worked there a long time ago. winter was the off season then. busy during the day but not at night. since then the spring/summer/autumn seasons have gone gang-busters. winter nights may have got busier but even if they haven't the huge non-winter market would make up for it.

Cam Slee

One of Us
Mar 17, 2020
Tawonga South
I work in Bright for an earth-moving mob. It's only a 30 minute drive over the Tawonga Gap from Tawonga South.
In Summer, Bright is a madhouse. Tourists everywhere but it missed out on a lot of that during the recent bushfires which turned it into a ghost town.
I prefer Harrietville in Winter mainly for the Snowline Hotel. That's a laugh a minute.
Bright is reasonably close to Mt Hotham. If you don't mind putting up with the Great Alpine Road in Winter. If it snows they fit chains to everything these days, 4WD, all-wheel drive, and 2WD. It can be a prick of a road if it's snowing.
But Tawonga South and Mt Beauty have the scenery. Close to Falls Creek, only a 30 minute drive up there. Never need chains in a 4WD unlike Mt Hotham.

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
We love DP and would recommend it highly. I love putting my skis on at the front door and heading off into the forest w my dog, pretty much my favorite thing, and love that last few years have been able to do it 6 months/year. But for the other 6 there’s some terrific MTB trails now, and good fishing just down the road.
I think the seller for DP is that it’s very affordable free hold. No resorts management telling you where to park, how much to pay, what you can and can’t do. And nice little (isolated) community.

As someone who has property there then, have you got used to the drive over the years - we all do it on this forum, but how do you mitigate the drive - do you just have lots of Friday's off? For me, all our resorts are too far away to do more than say once, maybe twice a month...

it's a open question to all in fact? maybe worth a post.....

Reactions: Chaeron and piolet

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
As someone who has property there then, have you got used to the drive over the years - we all do it on this forum, but how do you mitigate the drive - do you just have lots of Friday's off? For me, all our resorts are too far away to do more than say once, maybe twice a month...

it's a open question to all in fact? maybe worth a post.....
where are you located?

For about 15 years I did Melbourne to Mt Beauty just about every weekend when there was at least 40cm of snow at Falls (except when I was there for multiple weeks). No kids to wrangle probably helped. For last few of those years it was about 3 out of 4 weekends for the rest of the year too, but we had a house here then.

I could often knock off at 3pm on Friday and get ahead of the traffic. Not having to drive the last bit up the hill and then get to a lodge really helped too. On Sundays it was either stop skiing about 2pm and head home or wait till the traffic would be lighter (especially when you hit Buller traffic on the Maroondah). Or stay the night and head off by 5. Better still, work from home on Monday and head back that night or early Tuesday.

Sometimes we ate in the car - eg kranskies in a thermos, rolls already prepared with mustard and cheese. mostly we grabbed a takeaway somewhere. shared the driving a bit.

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
where are you located?

For about 15 years I did Melbourne to Mt Beauty just about every weekend when there was at least 40cm of snow at Falls (except when I was there for multiple weeks). No kids to wrangle probably helped. For last few of those years it was about 3 out of 4 weekends for the rest of the year too, but we had a house here then.

I could often knock off at 3pm on Friday and get ahead of the traffic. Not having to drive the last bit up the hill and then get to a lodge really helped too. On Sundays it was either stop skiing about 2pm and head home or wait till the traffic would be lighter (especially when you hit Buller traffic on the Maroondah). Or stay the night and head off by 5. Better still, work from home on Monday and head back that night or early Tuesday.

Sometimes we ate in the car - eg kranskies in a thermos, rolls already prepared with mustard and cheese. mostly we grabbed a takeaway somewhere. shared the driving a bit.

work is super easy- I am near airport.
Live SE burbs

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
where are you located?

ahh part of the difficulty is kids - not so much taking them, but organising around, and looking at schedules etc if taking them out of activities.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
ahh part of the difficulty is kids - not so much taking them, but organising around, and looking at schedules etc if taking them out of activities.
what activity is more important than skiing? regular skiing requires commitment, but so do many sports. my brother basically had no weekend life for years because his step-kids had solid sporting commitments that he had no influence on

can your partner work flexibly? grab kids drive to airport. pile into one car and go. pick up other car on the way back

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
This second lockdown has driven home to me that being cut off from locations where I can do what I live to do and love to do in the outdoors is far from satisfactory. Moreover Melb. has rapidly become quite congested and built up rather quickly.

I have a lot of time for Myrtleford. I have an old friend who lives there. I stay there sometimes.

It is not that far from : Lake Cobbler/ Mt. Cobbler ; Wangaratta; Albury/ Wodonga; Mt Buffalo; Lake Buffalo , Bright; Mt. Beauty; Mt.Hotham; JB plain; Dinner Plain; Mt. Bogong; Mt. Feathertop; Falls Creek( 1.45 hours one way ) and Mt. Stirling ( 2.45 hours one way).Even Thredbo is approximately 4 hours away.

Bairnsdale is 3 hours away from Mt. Baw Baw, Dargo High Plains; Dinner Plain; Licola and the gate way to the Snowy Range. It also has rail trail cycling, Bass Strait surfing at Red Bluff, The Gippsland Lakes and it is just an adventure drive up the Barry Way to Jindabyne.
Wilson's Prom. , Buchan Caves and other treasures of Gippsland are not that far away either.
Bairnsdale has a direct v/line rail link to Plague town. The Croajingalong N.P. and the Mitchell River N.P. are not that far from Bairnsdale.
Surfing spots at Tathra and Ben Boyd N.P. in NSW are not that far away.
Bairnsdale and Myrtleford are not right on location for skiing the way Dinner Plain is but they have more services and options for people looking at a tree change, with children, who need access to schools, medical care , swimming lessons, groceries etc. etc.. In 10 years or so there are good chances I will possibly see out my autumnal years in such a place.

Last edited:

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
what activity is more important than skiing? regular skiing requires commitment, but so do many sports. my brother basically had no weekend life for years because his step-kids had solid sporting commitments that he had no influence on

can your partner work flexibly? grab kids drive to airport. pile into one car and go. pick up other car on the way back

true. My wife is not a massive skier. Also regular sports are 10mins away, not 3hr +

I'd be happy with Myrtleford, Yack etc etc

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
We’ve been looking in and around Myrtleford for quite a few years, I’d probably prefer Kiewa but other half prefers Ovens. Cycle trails are a big tick I must admit. Agree it would be very nice right about now when in our current location we are just on the wrong side of the Covid fence.
of course I think kiewa is better LOL, but better myrtleford than bright unless you like crowds. the town seems to have come a long way in the last decade or so, but tourism isn't overwhelming like it is in bright. that little bit closer to albury wodonga & wang. but further from snow, and another stretch of ice prone road too. best coffee in the region is in myrtleford

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
of course I think kiewa is better LOL, but better myrtleford than bright unless you like crowds. the town seems to have come a long way in the last decade or so, but tourism isn't overwhelming like it is in bright. that little bit closer to albury wodonga & wang. but further from snow, and another stretch of ice prone road too. best coffee in the region is in myrtleford
I have become quite used to getting up very early and driving from Myrtleford to Falls Creek for XC skiing day trips. Ditto regarding Mt. Buffalo and JB hut , conditions permitting.
The snow is not there all year round( this ski season it is hardly even there in the ski season :-0) so having some ocean access for other things such as surfing are what makes Bairnsdale seem appealing.

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
i really like wandi, my aunt and uncle have a place there just near where the paragliders land (or end up in their trees as has happened). if i was living the life there i reckon i could ride in to town on the path for most shopping needs

Reactions: Kletterer

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic

We stayed in Bright over Grand Final weekend last year and I made an effort to wander around many of the streets some distance from town and found they were surprisingly quiet. So one could avoid the crowds to some extent by staying away from Bright central on long weekends etc.
Found some nice larger properties, with prices to match but

Last edited:

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
i really like wandi, my aunt and uncle have a place there just near where the paragliders land (or end up in their trees as has happened). if i was living the life there i reckon i could ride in to town on the path for most shopping needs
Wandi Pub Sunday arvos was our go to for busy times in Bright. Rob Wesley would ocassionaly ride his horse ( Named Sunday) in to the bar for a drink.

Reactions: cold wombat and mr

SEJ

Hard Yards
Apr 13, 2011
I’m a long time Bright resident, who loves it. Yes, the town is much busier than it used to be and there are very few weekends without some event or another. But, that’s one thing I love. Most of the events bring great people to the town and many of them involve things like running, biking, etc- all of my interests. There are a couple of weekends I’m not so fond of, so I make sure that’s when I get out of town and do a Melb trip. And with the influx of tourism, has come great cafes and restaurants- well above standard of most country towns. But there are plenty of places in town where you can ‘hide’ and stuff away from the crowds. And as a local, you can shop mid week when it’s not as busy. The road to Hotham can be a pain, so I do like staying up on the hill when possible for multiple days skiing.

Young Angus

One of Us
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
I'm a huge Bright fan, been staying there since I was a kid with family (am now 39) and I even have fond memories of staying in the Mount Buffalo Chalet when it was operating. Stayed there a bit recently but it's a bit of a trek to Hotham but still do'able. Harietville and the Snowline is always our preference for off mountain, such a great place, they have plenty of blankets in there these days from my experience and just such a beautiful quiet town it's just lovely to be in and not as busy as Bright. I enjoy the hairy drive up the GAR from Harietville to Hotham but it does take about an hour each way, it's fine for some trips but definitely on mountain at a lodge is preferable.

I'm also curious about DP and would love to buy something up there one day (hopefully by next winter haha) just wondering if there's any benefits parking wise at Hotham that you get from having a place there...is there a bus or anything that goes from DP to Hotham or any kind of cheaper parking or are you still up for the standard $50 per day per vehicle and it's just the convenience of being closer that counts?

Reactions: skiflat

Young Angus

One of Us
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
Also here's one...what about building at Dinner Plain on vacant land? Anyone have any idea what it might cost to build a nice small chalet (2 bedrooms) on a small block there? I'm thinking there will be pretty strict and cumbersome BAL ratings that need to be followed which might drive up the price of any new build up there?

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Also here's one...what about building at Dinner Plain on vacant land? Anyone have any idea what it might cost to build a nice small chalet (2 bedrooms) on a small block there? I'm thinking there will be pretty strict and cumbersome BAL ratings that need to be followed which might drive up the price of any new build up there?
Plenty of land for sale
https://www.domain.com.au/sale/dinner-plain-vic-3898/vacant-land/0-bedroom/
Might be cheaper and easier to buy an established property as I think you Will find most people build larger houses there.
There are 3 apartments with 2 bedroom listed on Real estate.com the second and third are under offer, but you will get an idea. The second one is $325,000 and the third one is $400,000

https://www.realestate.com.au/buy/p...h-2-bedrooms-in-dinner+plain,+vic+3898/list-1

Reactions: piolet

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
I'd be checking what building costs would be like before heading down that route. Material transport, labour accommodation, degree of difficulty surcharge, I can't imagine it being cheap.

Sean Sunley

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2017
Canberra
I'm also curious about DP and would love to buy something up there one day (hopefully by next winter haha) just wondering if there's any benefits parking wise at Hotham that you get from having a place there...is there a bus or anything that goes from DP to Hotham or any kind of cheaper parking or are you still up for the standard $50 per day per vehicle and it's just the convenience of being closer that counts?
No benefit, still have to pay resort entry. Much easier and shorter drive particularly on bad weather days. There is a bus which is an option but if there are a few a car is cheaper.

Sean Sunley

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2017
Canberra
I was advised to allow double normal building costs, approx $4k/m2. So a little chalet approx $400k + $100k land = $500k.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
No benefit, still have to pay resort entry. Much easier and shorter drive particularly on bad weather days. There is a bus which is an option but if there are a few a car is cheaper.
If you love Hotham then consider finding a place in Omeo.
The road up there to Dinner Plain and Mt. Hotham is much more forgiving in winter and is seldom closed after a snow storm.
From Omeo you have easier access to Mt. Wills, Trapyard Gap on the BHP, Mt. Bogong via Long Spur and/or Mulhauser spur and Bairnsdale for access to major services plus the Gippsland lakes and surf at Red Bluff, Cape Conran etc.
The only negative I can think of are endless road works along the Tambo river valley and landslides or fallen trees in that vicinity. The road through that section of the Great Alpine Rd. is often tediously slow and winding whereas the approach to Bright and Harrietville is much faster.

Reactions: Bogong

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If you love Hotham then consider finding a place in Omeo.
The road up there to Dinner Plain and Mt. Hotham is much more forgiving in winter and is seldom closed after a snow storm.
From Omeo you have easier access to Mt. Wills, Trapyard Gap on the BHP, Mt. Bogong via Long Spur and/or Mulhauser spur and Bairnsdale for access to major services plus the Gippsland lakes and surf at Red Bluff, Cape Conran etc.
The only negative I can think of are endless road works along the Tambo river valley and landslides or fallen trees in that vicinity. The road through that section of the Great Alpine Rd. is often tediously slow and winding whereas the approach to Bright and Harrietville is much faster.
If he's feeling flush he could buy the pub at Angler's Rest.
https://www.realestate.com.au/property-unitblock-vic-anglers+rest-133843658

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Gorgeous place
I am a very good high volume Indian Veg. cuisine cook with a Govt. of Vic. food handling certificate . If anyone buys The Blue Duck Inn then contact me if you want someone to move up there and cook healthy food that is not Meat and 3 veg. type fare.
Melb. is killing me ! .
In my spare time up there I could explore the Bundara Wilderness.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
I am a very good high volume Indian Veg. cuisine cook with a Govt. of Vic. food handling certificate . If anyone buys The Blue Duck Inn then contact me if you want someone to move up there and cook healthy food that is not Meat and 3 veg. type fare.
Melb. is killing me ! .
In my spare time up there I could explore the Bundara Wilderness.
Well they did build an Indian restaurant at Halls Gap in the Grampians, but that township really only caters for city tourists. There may be a market for Indian cuisine in the more touristy towns in the high country too.

However I'm not sure that the isolated Glen Wills locals, most of whom have been there for many generations, would be up for Indian food, they are more the traditional hard core steak and three veg types, with a little pasta (which they still call by its old fashioned name 'macaroni') being the most exotic their diets ever get.

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Couple of recent owner builder places have gone up. Best to buy something cheap with good bones and do a renovation, I recommend a garage, it’s amazing the crap you accumulate w kids.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Well they did build an Indian restaurant at Halls Gap in the Grampians, but that township really only caters for city tourists. There may be a market for Indian cuisine in the more touristy towns in the high country too.

However I'm not sure that the isolated Glen Wills locals, most of whom have been there for many generations, would be up for Indian food, they are more the hard core steak and three veg types, with a little pasta (which they still call by its old fashioned name 'macaroni') being the most exotic their diets ever get.

I suspect you are right. The mind of the drowning man grasps at straws to find a way to escape from the Melb. covid jail.
Once you leave the major cities and towns in `Striya it is like Asiatic / Southern European immigration never happened.
Fish and chips, steak and salad, maybe some pasta with tomato topping......Remotely possibly some mutation of chop suey and rice which would remain unrecognizable to the East Asian Chinese.

Bleak stuff for us people of South Asian descent.

That restaurant in Halls Gap is a Punjabi restaurant. So most people think of Punjabi food as being 'Indian' whereas Tamil, Bengali , Gujarati, Assamese food etc. would be quite foreign to many people.

Reactions: piolet and Bogong

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
I do empathise with you, both because I'm also under employed as my USP skill (which was in high demand) has been made obsolete by technology, but also because even I find the "Old Australia" a little frustrating at times.

I love this country's traditional culture and I enjoy chating to people where it still hangs on, their insight and approach to life reminds me of how my distant ancestors probably lived and viewed the world. But then I reflect on how frustratingly traditional and insular people in those places can be.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
lots of rural areas are getting more diverse. some I know

Swan Hill, ok a regional centre, has long had a good Balinese/general SE Asian restaurant and for a long time had a decent Japanese restaurant (sadly gone and now there is a lesser place that does some japanese). but there's a great little pho/vietnamese place. I don't know if there is a sudanese restaurant yet but pretty sure you can buy indian and sudanese groceries. There's been a strong italian presence there for many decades.

In little mt beauty, there has been a strong italian influence for ages. you could get good coffee and deli items here when I started coming 40 years ago. now we have a few choices for Indian, one of which I've been told is very good but covid has got in the way of me trying it. Myrtleford was another with strong italian influence but has now added a great indian influenced cafe, vietnamese street food and a middle eastern cafe.

the towns that don't have diversity are probably the ones that are dying.

WaistDeep

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2007
Newcastle
I think the fact that there is a lot of vacant land for sale in DP speaks for itself. I contacted a couple of builders and was advised that the average cost to build a compact 2 bedroom chalet would be somewhere around $550K.

PG2736

Addicted
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
We love both Harrietville & Dinner Plain and would love to buy a place at either. The one thing that is stopping us is the lack of easy to use day facilities at Hotham. If there was a special day lodge that you could join where you had seasonal storage for all your gear, some showers and a nice area to have a coffee, get changed, have a break etc it would make the day trip so much more painless and stress free. We have seen these clubs in various forms work really well overseas. I believe Anton Grimus runs a seasonal storage setup at Buller but haven’t had any feed back on that

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
We love both Harrietville & Dinner Plain and would love to buy a place at either. The one thing that is stopping us is the lack of easy to use day facilities at Hotham. If there was a special day lodge that you could join where you had seasonal storage for all your gear, some showers and a nice area to have a coffee, get changed, have a break etc it would make the day trip so much more painless and stress free. We have seen these clubs in various forms work really well overseas. I believe Anton Grimus runs a seasonal storage setup at Buller but haven’t had any feed back on that
@CarveMan would probably know

Reactions: Annabuzzy
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass