1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a base - Bright, Dinner Plain, Falls Creek

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by ski2go, May 19, 2020.

1. Boodwah

Boodwah A Local Ski Pass: Gold

That doesn’t quite make sense to me. If you buy a place at DP, then that’s your seasonal storage, showers etc.

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Evidently the Blue Duck Inn owners are selling up because nobody can get out of lockdown to go and stay there and eat and be merry.

3. cookieman

cookieman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If you have a place at dinner plain then that will be your base, otherwise you can become a member at Mt Hotham race club. We have storage facilities, dry room , gym,a good kitchen and quality ski coaching for the kids.

FatBoyDave and Rat trap bindings like this.
  4. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

We had friends using that facility this year and they seemed to think it was great. For me it was a bit pointless though as if you are parking in the day car park and getting the bus up to the village you then have to walk up the hill to get your skis from Pension Grimus anyway. I just thought it was easier to have the kit in the car and take it on the bus for free. I guess from a Hotham perspective it therefore depends on where the seasonal storage is located relative to where you are going to be able to park. One of the things I loved about Hotham (compared to Buller in this instance) was the ability to drive up, park your car and literally walk over the road and ski off. Having the skis in the car rather than stored somewhere and having to go get them would therefore be beneficial in that instance. I think that car park may have been given over to Audi drivers or something weird like that now from memory though.

Slalom and nezumi like this.
  5. Slalom

Slalom A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, Loch car park FTW at Hotham.

Echo Base likes this.
  6. PG2736

PG2736 Addicted

Yes, it is just a pain in the arse driving from dinner plain to Hotham, parking, putting on ski boots, getting ready with all the kids and wife etc. The concept of valet car parking, and having all your gear stored in one place right beside the runs would work really well I reckon.

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Or you can just park at JB Hut or at Mother Johnson's picnic area and XC ski to Mt. Hotham. In a plague free world I would have done it this week.

8. djam

djam One of Us

just get a place on mountain, sleep in, walk out the door when you are ready. Come back for
    lunch, or because the weather is bad, watch a movie while you gear dries, go back out for an
    hour.

Interest rates are low.

Yep, that's what you do, when the snow bug bites you hard.

9. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

This is my solution:

If I were a Hotham skier I would absolutely have a place in DP however.

That said I haven’t done the DP-Hotham shuffle with kids, when I used to go to Hotham our friend who we stayed with worked at for the ski co and they would drive us in, park in pole position and we would put our boots on in their office. But I haven’t been back since they left.

So I’m really not much use at all!

nezumi, Apresski and Annabuzzy like this.
  10. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

yeah......all our kids grew up on mountain, being teens now they could easily handle the car shuffle from DP or h'ville etc, but getting them off their screens / arses would be harder....even last year at least half of them and their mates would just hang at the lodge in the arvo, which was hard at first, but now i'm an accepting teen parent is better than them not being there at all. On mountain means for me just going out for an hour xc around xmas hills after a day on the lifts, or hike a run off the back of the higgi on a late spring arvo.

FatBoyDave and Skiain like this.
  11. Young Angus

Young Angus One of Us

DP vs. apartment or ski lodge membership on Hotham proper...that's the question...a nice apartment right on Hotham would be SCCHHHWWEEEEEETTTT

Annabuzzy likes this.
  12. hongomania

hongomania One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Skiing out your door into the resort is nice. Do people even ski lifts these days, sheesh :p

However DP provides much better value for money for mountain life feels, freestanding chalets with decks, fireplaces, driveways, drying rooms and all the trimmings, for the price of a white box apartment at Hotham. Even though Hotham views make me moist, DP is better overall imo. Much nicer base in green season

I actually enjoy the drive aspect too. As well as getting off the mountain, where often it will be fogged in, whereas dp is clear. Less cabin fever. And with me skiing more backcountry anyway, being at Hotham doesn't pose any real advantage

13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

:)

14. mr

My mums sister lives in bright (wandi actually) and wanted to tell me this joke :

'God dropped into bright today.......he said he wanted to try this working from home thing'

15. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

If the border ever opens, we’re very interested in buying in DP for summer and winter BC tootling with some inbounds.

climberman, hongomania, mr and 4 others like this.
  16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Wait until the whole state of Vic. goes totally tits up and then down the S bend by December. There will be some ( dare I use the term) , fire sale prices for many things including some properties.

17. djam

djam One of Us

I think you will find the opposite, Alpine demand is up this year, I expect plenty of people who skied OS in our summer are now buying here. Plus lodge members that are locked out of lodges, due to number restrictions.

TinkyH23, GS and currawong like this.
  18. Sean Sunley

Sean Sunley One of Us

I'm waiting for a bargain but haven't seen one yet. Property seems to be still selling quickly.

19. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Many People are seeking a way to get out of Melb. for the long term , be it to relocate to Rural Vic. in the NE area or just move to SE NSW. Like rats leaving the sinking ship. I 'd go with them If I had the money but I don't.

20. GS

GS Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Move to the Wimmera, some seriously low cost properties out there!

Rimey likes this.
  21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The skiing , bushwalking and surfing out there needs some modifications really.

cold wombat likes this.
  22. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Not that far from the surf really, 2.5 hrs to Portland from Natimuk, and in sight of the Gampians.

piolet likes this.
  23. Rat trap bindings

Rat trap bindings One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

@Boodwah re DP is there a shuttle bus to and fro Hotham and if so how often?

24. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Rat trap bindings likes this.
  25. Rat trap bindings

Rat trap bindings One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

26. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Apologies if this is seen as a threadjack. I'm just interested to get people's views on Arlberg at Hotham (as an apartment purchase). I did a search on here for previous threads and there were some pretty scathing comments along the 'don't do it' line but without any indication of why not. Looking beyond the annual body corporate costs what is wrong with Arlberg as an entry-level way to get an alpine base? Any info greatly appreciated.

27. hongomania

Its a large building with a lot of people in it. Good and bad sides to that

Not great in a pandemic
    Noise
    Crappy slow elevators
    Old building
    Limited apartments with a balcony

I could be wrong but i would expect a small apartment there would sell quickly compared to other places

The outgoings are probably cheap comparatively

skiflat and blueandwhite like this.
  28. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Thanks, useful info. I believe the lifts have recently been replaced but the noise is an issue I would kind of worry about a bit - especially given the number of apartments. You can get noisy neighbours anywhere but a high traffic rental building doesn't help your chances that is for sure! And obviously the age of the building is a fair point too.

29. Cam Slee

Cam Slee One of Us

Well past it's prime, no way I would stay in Alberg.
    I would rather drive up from Dinner Plain.
    Or live in Tawonga South, Mt Beauty, and get the best of both mountains.

skiflat likes this.
  30. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Quite a few people do the season in an Alberg Apartment, (instructors, medical centre, mountain ops and a few others who are a bit older and can afford their own place). Someone sold her 1 bed apartment in our block at Hotham to move into the Alberg, so it can't be all bad...
    Not sure how keen I would be to make use of the pool in there but as long as it gets a deep clean....
    You are paying for a pool, spa and lifts in your body corp so it is a bit higher than elsewhere but.. the location is pretty sweet and the views are some of the best available. The only negative thing I've heard is if you rent it out your crockery and cutlery tend to end up in other people's apartments, (they get a lot of school and large group bookings, so I guess the stuff ends up wherever the party is at).

piolet, skiflat and blueandwhite like this.
  31. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If the bus still ran like it used to (free and every 30 minutes) from Hotham to DP I would seriously consider DP over Hotham.
    It's a much nicer vibe down there.

However, with the reduced day parking at Coral Car park and having to get everyone out the door in the morning at the same time...Dp would be a PITA for me.

Last season.... I could get out and hit first tracks on my own (without waiting for anyone else), than be back at our apartment by 9 to head out with the others/get the kids dressed and out the door.

The only negative thing about having a place at Hotham is it is a long way from anywhere out of season.... We go up over Summer and Easter and inevitably spending time driving to DP or Brightto do activities.
    Other than walks and bike riding there isn't much to do in the Summer months up there and is pretty much unrentable outside ski season.

piolet, skiflat, gaz35 and 2 others like this.
  32. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

This. This is what I want! Dinner Plain has a great vibe but at this point in our family life we just want to be out there skiing at the drop of a hat whenever the conditions are good and then kick back looking at the view later in the day. We've been renting in Merrijig and driving up to Buller every day of the season for the last 3 seasons so we're looking to move on to the next level and get on mountain if we can. Hotham seems to offer better value than Buller from my limited real estate investigation so far but I'm finding that it's very hard to compare apples with apples with Alpine real estate.

Thanks a lot to everyone for all the advice.

nezumi likes this.
  33. hongomania

I would recommend you dont even bother comparing mountain real estate at one hill with another

Do you want to go skiing as effortlessly as possible or do you want the mountain life as a whole?

Which mountain do you want to ski at in an ideal world?

Will you hold onto it for the short or long term?

Can you afford unrealised losses

Lifestyle - sure kicking back with Hotham views is nice, but i hope your budget is good, or you are happy with shitty cheap bland interior finishes and many buildings which need reasonable exterior maintenance

DP means more driving, but decks and fireplace and drying rooms and more space and less socked in weather

34. hongomania

What a fail by RMB, so stupid derrrrrrr lets make our guest experience worse

currawong and Slalom like this.
  35. Chux-sw

Chux-sw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

36. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Fear not, I am going into this openly assuming that it is just a large pit to throw money into! I have no expectation of anything other than large outlay each year, but skiing with our kids is what we love and well, you have to pay for that pleasure!

nezumi likes this.
  37. hongomania

Chux-sw likes this.
  38. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I think you'll find that realised losses are the issue.

piolet and Chookfooter like this.
  39. PG2736

PG2736 Addicted

We have been through exactly the same conundrum @blueandwhite. Where we have landed is in purchasing a small apartment at Mt Hotham...that is very practical. I don't expect to make any money on it but if I ever need to rent it the rental returns are insanely good. My kids are 12 & 11, they have lots of friends up there and they are now at the age where they can come and go. My wife loves to mxi her time between snow shoeing and skiing and I just love to ski. The practicality of having something right on the hill for us is sensational. I love the dinner plain lifestyle and houses etc...but with my crew it isn't overly practical.

piolet, Seth and blueandwhite like this.
  40. Seth

When is it not up for sale?

piolet, Apresski and hongomania like this.
  41. hongomania

Thanks for the finance lesson lol, apparently i didn't get taught that during my accounting degree and working for the worlds #1 professional services firm.Unrealised losses could be bad for @blueandwhite if he has a portfolio and needs to maintain a certain asset to liability ratio

currawong likes this.
  42. Seth

It’s a lifestyle asset. Unrealised losses are almost a given. Can’t imagine banks are really giving that much weight to an alpine apartment for any ratios either.

piolet and hongomania like this.
  43. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

You and Mr T are obviously trying to take the piss out of the locals there because you clearly have no idea about the place. Most locals don't eat at the Duck since it changed hands around 10 years ago. They are not welcome and also have much better taste. You would be right about the food there though. I can't recall a menu change since chips and salad was introduced with every meal instead of veges. The only beer on tap is Carlton Draught and that is not really beer. Most locals are blow-ins with only two generational i.e. had a relative live there before them. Anyway, who am I to stop stereotyping. Have some fun.

44. Ultra2.0

Ultra2.0 Addicted

Why are there so many vacant blocks in Dinner Plain? and all the existing buildings all of very similar style and design?

45. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

My guess would be a covenant.

mr likes this.
  46. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Rimey and currawong like this.
  47. hongomania

300 million in assets, yes vacant blocks but its also to do with how the village grew. Victorias newest town and coined the term Australian bush architecture

currawong likes this.
  48. mr

I think to 'blame' peter mcintyre for what would have been a planning covenant that assisted the approvals going through is disingenuous

climberman and Annabuzzy like this.
  49. Apresski

It's a term of phrase, don't be so literal

mr and currawong like this.
  50. Apresski

That should be 'turn of phrase'.......can't type

currawong likes this.