1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a base - Bright, Dinner Plain, Falls Creek

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by ski2go, May 19, 2020.

1. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Only a bit further but its a lot further.
    Dicier season than thredbo which has more amenity in and out of season. And the seasons are going to get dicier.

Not to suggest its not a great place. I've gamed it myself a lot.

Undies and climberman like this.
  2. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The way I look at it, why spend $200K on a tiny block of land at DP when you could buy something with some size to it not that far away and not have the same level of building restrictions. 10 min east of DP and you have so much more to offer. A bit more than $200K but land is available at the confluence of the Victoria and Cobungra rivers (241 acres) with 2 titles (which means you can sell one or lease it) and build what you want. I just don't like hearing the neighbours arguing so the thought of living so close is not appealing. What's another 10 minutes further from Hotham in the scheme of things.

Young Angus and Rabid K9 like this.
  3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

both have advantages.

DP has the option of bus to Hotham, places to eat out, and possibly more attractive for rentals because of perceived extra amenities and vibe and close to Hotham

4. PG2736

PG2736 Addicted

+ it has the Blizzard Brewery if you are thirsty

Young Angus likes this.
  5. Xplora

I know, just adding my perspective. This thread is more about a lifestyle choice. I don't see it as a good investment. I like DP (to visit) and I have also worked there for a season. Saw lots of houses close up and personal. Many are nice on the inside but all a bit too close for me. Just putting it out there that for the same money you could have a place the same size (or bigger) and no neighbours close. Certainly the rental possibility is less but also some other potential to offset. Not everyone's taste though.

The property I saw listed had two titles which means two dwellings are possible and maybe more. That means rental possibilities also and it could be permanent rental. Property prices in regionals are rising and Omeo area was one where considerable increases were noted. Not much for sale around there now. Still plenty at DP though.

currawong likes this.
  6. Xplora

If you can afford to drink there. His prices have gone up considerably since he first started. The beer is not that good there.

hongomania likes this.
  7. PG2736

PG2736 Addicted

We haven't been there for a long time. Can't be as expensive as the Italian restaurant/pizza shop.

8. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Seems to be a lot for sale in DP or is that normal?

9. piolet

If not there all the time, land is a maintenance issue. It sucks to go on holiday to mow the grass, fix fences, spray weeds.........

10. piolet

Seems to be.

11. piolet

It’s for sale, just buy it LOL
    Totally would but I don’t wish to be there full time

it was priced pretty well when I looked. Lots of stainless, depends on the lease I guess?

12. Gregah

Gregah One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If you are an "alpine buyer" not wedded to which mountain / adjacent village you buy into one of the unique things about the DP property market is that you usually have an option to buy an existing building or buy a vacant lot of land and build your own place. This creates a secondary influence on prices on top of the usual alpine property market factors. I don't live there but I've followed the DP market for 15+ years and my generalised observation (this not financial advice !) would be that the more the Vic economy is booming the more the "buy an existing property" option looks better (local builders and vacant land owners seem to inflate their respective prices more than sellers of existing properties). Conversely, when the economy is sagging the "buy some land and build your own" option looks better (local builders become very keen for work and drop their prices whereas sellers of existing properties seem to "hold on" as long as they can with unrealistically high price expectations.

Undies and piolet like this.
  13. Xplora

You should visit the 'buying a farm' thread. For people of this mindset it does not suck but I appreciate it does for others. We are all wired different. Some of those who have made the choice were able to flee the COVID lockdown. Many now trying to get onto that train in anticipation it will happen again. Jindy land prices are through the roof for acreage. Whatever floats your boat.

piolet likes this.
  14. piolet

Yeah hence the 'if'
    I love that thread and grew up kinda country, i could be convinced but....

15. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

wasn't disagreeng wth you.
    as I said, both have advantages.

a lot of people thinking about getting a ski base are considering renting it out some of the time. When we got our mt beauty place we made some decisions based on the assumption that we might need to. have never tried to rent it LOL