1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Buying first skis and boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Medicine_Shoes, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Medicine_Shoes

Medicine_Shoes Hard Yards

Ill be coming into a little bit of unexpected money at the end of the week so why not spend it on skis and boots :D. I'm a low level intermediate but I'm progressing quickly. Probably done about 15 full days all up on skis. Did 9 days this year, including some in Japan. I do probably 90% on piste and maybe 10% off (just started doing this at Falls this year). I'm getting a bit tired of the whole rental routine. So I want to get something for myself. I want skis that I can use both in Australia and Japan if this is possible (I don't know a whole lot about this). Also something that I won't grow out of ability wise, but also something that's not too advanced for me either.

I'm male, 165cm tall, 69 kgs. My budget is around $1500 for skis, bindings, boots and poles and maybe a bag if any left over. I know there are stores doing their summer clearance sales at the moment so some are doing 30% off.

Give me your recommendations people, please :)

2. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Go to a reputable bootfitters. Buy what he or she tells you to buy. The rest is all subjective.

3. Medicine_Shoes

Know of any reputable ones in Melbourne?

4. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Nope, I’m north of the border. But someone will.

5. Dave.Ski

Dave.Ski Hard Yards

Ajays in Heathmont or EMC in Deepdene are both fantastic.

Medicine_Shoes likes this.
  6. teleroo

teleroo One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Big fat skis good for Japow (say 110+ mm underfoot to give you lots of float) not really much use in Aus, where we are mostly skiing hardpacked groomers. In Aus, groomer skis typically 80 mm underfoot these days approx.

My daily drivers in Aus last two yrs have been 96mm underfoot (Armada Invictus and ARVs). This is probably the happy compromise land but I'm also wondering whether a narrower ski be better for most regular Aus days. Happy compromise might also equal not much good at anything though.

As suggested above, get yourself some decent boots that work for you from a shop you're happy to continue dealing with , a set of adjustable poles and probably a set of skis for Aus. BYO boots and hire skis in Japan for now.

7. teleroo

teleroo One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Will be a bit if a stretch to get all for $1500 at regular prices but good chance at the moment if you get decent discounts. But size availability will be your challenge right now.

8. Medicine_Shoes

From what I've read, The Boot Lab in Malvern and Aussieskier in Prahran are the pick of the bunch. Anyone had any recent experiences with them? and which is the pick of the two? I can see Aussieskier stock and prices online but the Boot Lab doesn't show any, are they similar prices there?

elSpike likes this.
  9. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Take your $1500 and get fitted for boots and custom footbeds, then take the change, chuck in a few extra and buy some ex demo skis on the cheap.

And regardless of whether you get skis to perform best in Aus or anywhere else, I’d say properly fitted boots and sweet custom footbeds are priority number one

10. Laska Goralska

11. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

www.aussieskier.com will do you well. @CarveMan is a long term member here

12. Medicine_Shoes

Thanks for all the help. Ill book an appointment for Aussieskier when I get the chance.

13. chairmanmeow

chairmanmeow Early Days

Sorry to go off on a tangent but genuinely curious, are footbeds always needed? I was told my feet were a problematic shape so I got footbeds but my wife's feet were supposedly much more "normal". Even so, the shop still recommended footbeds for her but said she could also try without. She's had a little bit of shin pain and we're not sure if footbeds would help that, haven't had a chance to go back to the shop yet.

14. elSpike

elSpike I am a Meat Popsicle Ski Pass: Gold

I had a great experience with Andy at the Boot Lab. He’s a character and knows his stuff. Can’t recommend him enough.

I’ve heard great things about @CarveMan at Aussie Skier too. Both will be solid options.

15. Laska Goralska

I have fairly normal, albeit somewhat wide feet. Skiing for years with well fitted boots and no footbeds I thought was fine and I just accepted the fact that my feet would ache like they were on fire for the first 30-40 mins of skiing (not to mention the pain you only notice when it comes time to take them off at the end of the day)

Got custom footbeds a few years ago, never had morning pains again, and am now in no particular hurry to get my boots off in the afternoon.

Proper, heat fitted custom footbeds changed my life. I’d rather ski in my boots now and on clapped out old skis than go back to pre-footbed days and razor sharp freshly waxed skis

chairmanmeow likes this.
  16. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Even for people with "normal feet" custom footbeds are going always help.
    Not just for pains and proper alignment but also for skiing performance, to have full distributed contact underneath the foot the whole time skiing is absolutely magic, and once you have experience this you'll never ski without a custom again.

Back to the recommendations, Bootlab is great, AussieSkier is great and the guys at Bumps know their stuff also, and they have probably the largest range of boots in Melbourne.

MickM, elSpike and chairmanmeow like this.