Advice needed Buying Hakuba property

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Mark*V, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Mark*V

Mark*V Early Days

I have researched buying a business in Japan and it seems straightforward. Does anyone know much about purchasing a lodge in Hakuba? Where is the best place to look? Anything I should know when looking? Are there any government or other auctions?

gareth_oau likes this.
  2. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

3. TACKIE

TACKIE One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

The purchase part is easy, much like here. The contracts will be in Japanese, so it would be prudent to get someone to translate and check for any surprises. Some areas the land is leasehold. Registering a business is a bit more involved, though the agent will know a scrivener who will process this.

Mark*V likes this.
  4. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb
    Ski Pass - Gold

Are you planning on living there?

5. Mark*V

Mark*V Early Days

Yes sage either seasonal or full time

6. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

If full time, what sort of visa are you expecting to get?

Sage Oya and Mike Pow like this.
  7. Mark*V

Mark*V Early Days

I wouldn't be staying full time initially, Sandy. I believe I can get a business manager visa?

8. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb
    Ski Pass - Gold

As i understand it, getting a business visa requires jumping through a lot of hoops, definitely have a a good look at the requirements :). You dont have a Japanese spouse by any chance do you?

9. Mark*V

Mark*V Early Days

No not yet haha

10. M_G

M_G A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Just don't come in wearing these...

[​IMG]

People think you put up a shingle and a website, give the guests a bit of brekky, ski all day, a few bevvies at night. Easy! :eek:o_O

11. Sandy

Investor / Business Manager visa:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who is it for?
    • Investors
    • People planning on taking an executive role in a company. There are two cases that apply here, either a company is hiring you and will sponsor the visa for you, or the company has been created (or is going to be created) by you. In the second case, you are looking to get a “self-sponsored visa.”
    What are the requirements?
    1) If you are creating your business in Japan, you have to:

• Have a company registered in Japan (or a branch): If you haven’t done it yet and need time on the ground to get everything started, you can do that on a Startup visa. If you already live in Japan, you can register your company under any visa.
    • Have a physical office: Shared offices, virtual offices with physical address, or home addresses don’t work. The immigration office even asks for pictures of your office to make sure you are not lying. Home addresses can work only with a special authorization that is usually complicated to get, and it also doesn’t look serious on your application.
    • Have 5 million yen (around 45,000 USD) as your company’s capital OR two full-time employees: The capital’s money can come either from your own savings, loans, or investors. The two employees need to be either Japanese nationals or foreign permanent residents.
    Note that you can also in some cases have 2.5M yen as your company’s capital and 1 full-time employee.

2) If you are coming to manage an existing business in Japan you have to:

• Have at least 3 years’ experience in business management or operations. Hopefully, time spent studying business operation or management at the postgraduate level can be included in the three years.
    • Have at least the same salary (or more) than a Japanese national for a comparable job.

Sage Oya likes this.
  12. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Ski Pass - Gold

I have a mate who wears this exact pair.
    Gloriously retro!

13. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Don't expect to make a lot of money .
    Have you worked in hospitality before ?
    Don't forget the old adage of how to make a million in a hospitality business
    Start with 2 million LOLLOLLOLLOL

M_G likes this.
  14. Mark*V

Mark*V Early Days

Its not really about the money. You need to make a profit in a business but there are other things to consider. I have 25 years hospitality experience and currently run 4 businesses in Australia.

15. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb
    Ski Pass - Gold

Get started on the visa first IMO, Japanese bureaucracy is notoriously slow :p

Mark*V likes this.
  16. telenomore

telenomore One of Us

Not that hard to do. You need a "Gyosheshoshi" or administrative scrivener, that is immigration lawyer, preferably one who speaks English (not all of them do). PM me if you want a good contact although our guy is in based in Sapporo. As for the requirements, you'll need $70,000 in AUD parked in a Japanese bank, and an office. Jump those two hurdles and with the help of a good scrivener your on your way. Also try JETRO, they have the structures for setting this stuff up, but going direct to a Japanese scrivener will give you the same outcome as going to JETRO. Good luck.

skifree likes this.
  17. Mark*V

Mark*V Early Days

Thanks, good advice

18. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete Hard Yards

With respect to a visa, its very straight forward. Just engage an immigration lawyer. There is one in Tokyo that has done a large number of Hakuba Visas including my initial ones and I would strongly suggest you engage her prior to buying. (Yoko Majima - yokom@june-group.jp) Others have not and had significant issues. Take advice from her. But essentially what you are proposing to do is possible with many others having done the same previously. Personally I think you would be better off buying a bar ;) :)

If its just a single property I would forgo setting up a company such as a KK as compliance costs are relatively high but get your tax advice from an accountant. Get your head around capital gains tax here too just in case you sell it within 5 years of owning it.

Finding a suitable property may be more problematic. My advice here is to have your cash all sorted out and be decisive. As mentioned previously there is a little bit of land that is leasehold but most is freehold and its often harder getting a car and phone sorted than buying a place. Make sure it is vacant! If not that the owners agree to leave at the time of settlement. Understand that the real estate agent may also be the vendor which is perfectly legal here and can be advantageous from a negotiating point of view. If you plan to be up and running this year you would be incredibly optimistic.

If you like PM me what you are after and rough budget. Im not into buying/sell stuff but do hear of a few things that are coming up off market. Good luck!

19. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

20. TJ

TJ One of Us

That's the perfect attitude. I didn't move here for the money. I was in my late 30's and needed to do something different in life. There have been plenty of challenges along the way but the benefits far outweigh them.I would find it difficult to move back to Oz now.
    Shoot me a pm if you need any advice on a particular property.

Mark*V likes this.
  21. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

You are different to most TJ , you have made a LIFE for yourself in Hakuba. What I was alluding to is , people coming in seeing cheap properties ( maybe not as cheap now ? ) , lots of westerners , and thinking I can do that . They buy cheap properties , then find out it costs a bomb to renovate , then they only have a 12 week trading period if they are lucky , not to mention if they are in the same market as the majority of lodges around $150 a night (guessing) if their occupancy isn't up , it is a hard slog to make a decent return or cover costs . If the OP is going to follow your model well he will reap the benefits , if he wants a lodge for winter it's a hard slog if you have no experience in the industry .

M_G, Mark*V and Sandy like this.
  22. TJ

TJ One of Us

Yep understand that and see it often. People coming in with a dream of making a packet and skiing everyday. That's not going to happen. I am lucky to have a trade which has saved me a lot of money as I am happy to do most work around the place myself. I'm also happy to sacrifice sleep for time on the mountain. Around 90 - 100 days last year but that may be for just an hour sometimes. ( it will be the best hour though :) ) It's been a great experience overall and I love the crew I meet each season and it is a fantastic place to bring up the kids.

zarik, DidSurfNowSki, Hyst and 5 others like this.
  23. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete Hard Yards

If its not about making money nor do you plan to stay all year I would give it a miss and just buy a little house and come for the season and holiday. KISS.

Mark*V likes this.
  24. Sandy

This then removes any visa issues.

25. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

And you could pick up a real cheap place in areas other than the current well worn path.

hatto, M_G, Mark*V and 1 other person like this.
  26. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb
    Ski Pass - Gold

For the cost of a house you could also pay for a lot of holiday accommodation.:D

I'd love to buy in Hakuba too but it seems more viable to work in Australia and then holiday over there, well for us anyway. Having said that access to daily nikuman in winter is temptingLOL

Hyst likes this.
  27. Mark*V

Mark*V Early Days

Thanks TJ much appreciated. Thats where I'm exactly at I need to do something different. I will definitely take up your offer,