1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Buying Ski/Snowboard gear in Tokyo 2011/2012

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sandy, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

It time once again for the annual thread Buying Ski/Snowboard gear in Tokyo for Season 2011/2012.

I took a wander around the Tokyo ski shop area today, and some of the shops have already hauled out their winter snow gear. It was a nice, cool 18 degrees today, so it felt good!!!

The AUD is currently around 75-80 yen/AUD, so the gear in Japan is still a reasonable deal after conversion.

Kanda Cheap (London Sports outlet) is the cheapest place in the whole area. They usually have budget, but quality brand skis, snowboards, boots, downstairs, and clothes, goggles, hat, gloves upstairs.

I'll be posting some ski/snowboard/clothes etc, prices that I've seen.

Here's the map to the ski shop area of Tokyo:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will update the map as a few shops have changed/closed/opened/moved. I will also mark my favourite shops for particular cheap items. In particular, the Fuso ski boot shop is the best boot fitting shop in the area.

Kanda Cheap (London Sports outlet) has had some new gear come in recently, but the prices won't drop until their first "winter sale"
    Prices to follow.

They have mainly Salomon skis, and a lot of Salomon boots in a variety of sizes up to 30.5
    They also have Solomon goretex jackets from around 20,000yen with the store discount card. There are kids and small womens gortex shell pants from only 3000 yen.

In other stores, with the hiking season coming to a close, there's some good deals in L-Breath, with quality brand goretex shell pants in a variety of sizes, from about 8000 yen.

The cluster of Sakaiya stores northwest of Jimbocho Station:
    [​IMG]

#1 Sandy, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. damian

damian A Local

#2 damian, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  3. Sandy

Yep daimian, I'll be doing a complete update on the maps in the next couple of weeks!! [​IMG]

(I want to get over there again to see what the new shops offer)

#3 Sandy, Oct 3, 2011
  4. damian

damian A Local

They are like ICI, so not much good for resort skiing, but good for outdoors. They even have a pink fronted Yama Girl shop that sells... outdoor bras.

5. Loon907

Loon907 First Runs

Looking for a good bootfitter in tokyo any suggestions?

Is the Fuso Boot place Sandy mentioned the small cluttered shop on the second floor with the old man. I think he mainly or only sells Rexxams?

6. tulipgirl

tulipgirl First Runs

Are there any outlets in Tokyo that sell last seasons gear?

7. Sandy

No. They have a large selection.

#7 Sandy, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  8. TOFF

TOFF Im kind of a big deal Ski Pass: Gold

Kanda cheap store does.
    I suggest you keep a close eye on this thread.

#8 TOFF, Oct 4, 2011
  9. Sandy

Kanda Cheap (London Sports outlet) ONLY sell runout & previous season's gear. I will post some prices in the next couple of months, but ski+bindings & snowboards+bindings start at around $200.

#9 Sandy, Oct 4, 2011
  10. Ppk

Ppk Hard Yards

I'm probably going to be there in February, is there any chance il pick up any last season stuff cheap? Do they really do that in Japan?

11. Sandy

Japan is the land of the close out bargain. Japanese people like the latest thing.... whether it's skis, snowboards, clothes, electronics, cameras, etc, so if it's an old model it can be very cheap.

My last set of skis and bindings cost me about $270.

#11 Sandy, Oct 5, 2011
  12. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for this Sandy. Muy apreciado.

13. TokyoRob

TokyoRob First Runs

Fuso is a great recommendation for ski boots in the Kanda area. If you have big western feet (I'm size 11US/ 29.0 Japan) it is very difficult to find the proper size in Tokyo. I went to about 6 boot stores, including Victoria, before I found Fuso. They are the only true boot fitting shop that I came across and they were both knowledgeable and helpful. Most of the other shops have boots, but they sell them like they are selling you a pair of sneakers - off the shelf with little guidance. I haven't tried Cheap Kanda yet, but might stop by today!

14. claydough

claydough Early Days

hi all. Hiring skis and poles for 12 days is going to cost me $350 odd from Rhythm. D you think I could pick up a pair of all-mountain with bindings
    for less than that ? Brought some gear at L-Breath last year and was pretty happy. Iseem to remember GN or someone saying gear in Kutchan
    was pretty cheap. Thanks in advance.,,,

15. Sandy

Yes.

Kanda Cheap London Sports have some Salomon X-Wing Fury + 914 B90 bindings for about $320.

Or Salomon X-Wing Fire + Z10 B85 bindings for about $220

......etc

I will post more info in the next month or so.

They also had some Adidas Goretex shells, very nice solid shell in an XL, for around $230. This will get cheaper around November if they still have stock.

L-Breath had stocks of goretex hiking shells (read Aussie snow sports shells for rainy days) from around $130 for pants and about the same for jackets.

#15 Sandy, Oct 12, 2011
  16. Tall Paul

Tall Paul First Runs

Was in a hurry but had a quick glance into some of the main stores yesterday, and it seems they have their full ski stock out now (with plenty of skis listed as 20% off, which often seems to be the starting price)

I didn't have time to check any prices at Kanda Cheap (plus I'm always nervous that one of those massive piles of tracksuit tops will crush me) and I think the b.c map store has moved from last year.

17. Sandy

I've updated the maps (first post) to include Sakaiya Sports, which is northwest of Jimbocho station.

Some of the rain gear is good value, as the Japanese consider Goretex to be more hiking gear than winter snow sports gear. Mostly good quality goretex shells. Pants from about 8000yen, and some jackets (e.g. North Face from about 35,000yen, Mont Bell from about 15,000yen)

18. Tstorm

Tstorm First Runs

Hey Sandy,
    I'm new to the forum but I will say all the information you provide is great and I look forward to hearing more about the latest Ski prices as I will be in Tokyo for a few days from the 12th of Jan before heading to Niseko and looking at buying some gear for myself and a friend. Just wondering if you think I will be able to get two pairs of mid fat twintips for all mountain and some park use easily enough around that time. They don't need to be bargain price although that would be good obviously. The other thing I was wondering is whether I will be able to pick up a Giro MX10 helmet and some good mittens easily enough or if I should try to get them before I go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

19. Sandy

Welcome Tstorm!!!!

It's hard to say what will be available, as the Japanese shoppers come out in force from about mid December to buy snow gear. There will still be plenty of skis available, but quite a few of the cheaper ones will be gone in Kanda Cheap. (although if you ski on longer skis >180cm, they sell slowly).

There are lots of Giro helmets around, but I don't really think they're cheaper than in Australia, unless they are run outs on last season's..... and plus they don't stock so many larger helmets. I almost never see larger sized mittens, so you might be better of buying those in Australia.

20. Tstorm

Tstorm First Runs

Hey Again Sandy,
    Thanks for the advice. I was just curious if there is a shop in the Kanda area that sells Scott skis? as I am really keen on the Scott Punisher as an option.

Cheers

21. mauricem

mauricem Addicted

Hi Sandy,

current schedule has us in Tokyo on Jan 2 which I believe is a public holiday, would Kanda Cheap be open?

Also if we buy skis there is there an option to get them shipped to hotel in Hakuba, we'd already be traveling with 2 sets of skis in a double bag so we'd need to buy and put these in another single ski bag which I assume KC would sell

We arrive Narita at 18:55 on the 1/1/12 and had planned on staying in Tokyo that night, gear shopping next day then using a 4 day JR pass to get to Nagano>Hakuba later that day.

Any recommendations for close/cheap hotel considering planned movements
    cheers

22. Sandy

I think I've only seen one set of Scott skis in the area, but I wasn't looking specifically for them.

#22 Sandy, Nov 10, 2011
  23. Sandy

Usually everything closes on Jan 1st. IIRC, Kanda Cheap was open last year on the 2nd.

The Green Hotel Ochanomizu is very close to the ski shop area.
    Sakura Hotel Kanda-Jimbocho is also close by:
    http://www.agoda.com.au/asia/japan/tokyo/sakura_hotel_jimbocho.html

I think Kanda Cheap may ship them, but if you ship your skis on 2nd Jan, they won't be there at Hakuba until late on the 3rd or even the 4th.

#23 Sandy, Nov 10, 2011
  24. Donza

Donza Pool Room

just out of interests sake..Is it cool to take some pictures of lib tech, rome (and any others)snowboards if you see some?

25. mauricem

mauricem Addicted

TA told us 2/1/12 was a public holiday in Japan [​IMG] , checked elsewhere to confirm its only 1/1/12.

Assuming KC are open on the 2nd is there a reasonable chance they'd have something around 95mm wide, 180cm with early rise. ie last seasons models. Some of the other links Ive seen the gear has been 3 or so years old.

Ive already got Head Monster 78s so I'm looking for something to complement that as a 2 ski quiver

We'll have our own skis with us to get started at Hakuba so if they took a couple of days to ship then thats no problem.

Both hotels you mentioned are booked out around that time. How big a deal Is New years in Japan? I understand the main event is the Chinese NY.

thanks

#25 mauricem, Nov 10, 2011
  26. Sandy

2nd Jan is a holiday in Japan, but usually, a public holiday is a PRIME shopping day!!!! (except for Jan 1st)
    The 3rd will most probably also be a holiday, because the 1st falls on a Sunday.

There are unlikely to be early rise skis at Kanda Cheap, IMO.

The main event in Japan is NOT Chinese NY, it's just that MANY Chinese visit Japan to ski then. Japanese NY is when people do things with relatives and visit temples/shrines on NY eve. It's the only time when trains run all night. Don't expect fireworks display ot NY.

#26 Sandy, Nov 10, 2011
  27. Sandy

Should be ok.

#27 Sandy, Nov 10, 2011
  28. SigMunky

SigMunky First Runs

Hi everyone!

First post from a new member! I'm heading to Furano in January and plan to shop for a new snowboard in Tokyo on the way. There's a particular one I have my eye on, the Burton Super Hero 154.

Any idea on the best shops for Burton boards? There is an official Burton outlet in Shibuya - but that's a fair hike from the Kanda/Jinbocho strip, and I suspect one would pay top dollar there!

29. Sandy

There's plenty of places in Kanda with Burton boards....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome, by the way!! [​IMG]

#29 Sandy, Nov 25, 2011
  30. Syahrizal

Syahrizal First Runs

Hey Sandy,

Is the Kanda Cheap is beside the Y's Road. In didnt found any 'London Sport' writing in that area.
    Anyway,do you know where to buy Burton wear with sale price,Sandy?

31. Sandy

Yes, it's a couple of doors from Y's Road. It says London Sports in Japanese!!!

For Burton wear, try up the other side of the road, past Victoria, about 150m away. There's a couple of discount places within 50m of the main intersection at the other end of the area.

#31 Sandy, Dec 21, 2011
  32. hazrus

hazrus First Runs

Sandy,

You are truly a goldmine of info. Thanks for your threads.

Where would you recommend as the best place to buy goggles?

33. thekaraboudjan

thekaraboudjan First Runs

Hi Sandy, thanks very much for this forum it is tremendously helpful for gaijin noobs like me who struggle to buy food in Japan, let alone snowboard equipment.

I am looking to get some flux tt30, rome 390 or union contact bindings for my board in late Feb. Do you know if these brands are easy to find in Tokyo, and how good/bad is the mark-up on price? Is it much more than online prices generally?

Arigatou!

34. ladinsey

ladinsey First Runs

Hi all,

I have been reading previous years threads but I am totally new to the ski scene so I have a few questions. I will be in Tokyo for a day or two on 1 Feb. Would one day be enough time to find clothing, board/ski and board/ski bindings for two people? Do many shops sell covers/carry bags? We are only after beginner equipment but reading previous posts would it be a better option to buy and be able to use again rather than hire? The other question is size. I am a size 12-13 mens US and my girlfriend is a size 9 womens. Would beginner equipment be more difficult to find in these sizes? I have skiied before but want to have a go at boarding. We live in the tropics so the gear would only be used about once a year so the best and newest is not a priority. Any recommendations or advise would be greatly appreciated!

35. DeskRider

DeskRider One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Hey ladinsey,
    a day will easy be enough. Just hit up Kanda like Sandy says - more gear than you can poke a stick at. The London sports store (written in Japanese - ロンドンスポ-ツ) is good for real cheap stuff, but look around you might find some good bargains other places (they are all next to each other).

I reckon you will struggle with boots that size.. might get lucky with sb boots though. mate here who is size 13 got new ski boots on a trip back to oz, bc he couldn't find any that big in Tokes. Everything else should be right though (clothes, skis/boards, accessories). Just be on the lookout when you buy goggles, if they don't fit properly might be because they are asian/japan fit - not great for western mugs.
    Your Mrs might be right at the top of ladies boot sizes too, my mrs has to buy mens snowboard boots bc her feet are too big for the girls (women u.s. 10).

36. ZiggyHT

ZiggyHT First Runs

Hey Sandy,

I went in to Kanda sports and a whole bunch of the other places you listed today.
    Just wanted to ask you a few questions:
    Since I don't speak/read japanese, I was wondering what the "sets 2" and "sets 3" tags are? Does that mean the price includes board AND bindings?
    Also, how are the stores about fitting boots, attaching bindings etc?

Lastly, to Loon907: Fuso boots has two levels, boots downstairs and clothing upstairs. Large selection, but it appeared to only be Ski boots. No snowboard boots.

Thanks

37. ladinsey

ladinsey First Runs

DeskRider thanks for your reply. I am trying to source some boots from the states and get them bought over by a friend before I go. Do you think I will have trouble buying skis, and clothing (I need it all!) in a larger size? I will try to find gloves before hand as I'm a large or extra large. I also have the same question as ZiggyHT regarding the fitting of bindings to skis. As I don't speak much Japanese I would like to try and sort these small questions out before I go! Going to be quite a shock going from 30degrees and 90% humidity to Japan but I can't wait!

38. Jamesc

Jamesc Addicted

I went for a look last saturday, and saw very little clothing over size L, if you need XL or XXL and big size boots etc, your better off buying locally.
    Esp boots, buy locally and get them fitted, they arnt like shoes and can make a day on the snow very painful if you get it wrong

Also if your after a cheap board london sports had some bigger salamon rental boards for sale including bindings for 11900, the bindings were average but the board would be a good beginners board (when i say rental thats what they were labelled as on the shipping stickers and would be baords ained at the rental market)

39. Sandy

I'll have to take a look at that when I'm in there on the weekend....

#39 Sandy, Jan 17, 2012
  40. Sandy

You need to try the clothes on. There are both standard international sizes and Japanese sizes. I've more recently bought Marmot gear, and the L sizes fit me. If I get Japanese sizes, I need XXL or even 3L!!!!

In Kanda cheap, there were also boot sizes up to 30.5 about 3 weeks ago, along with XL(international) sized clothes. I noticed a large turnover of gear in there in the two weeks before Christmas, so they may run out of gear or get new stocks in.

If you wear a regular XL or XXL, then you will most likely be out of luck though.

#40 Sandy, Jan 17, 2012
  41. ZiggyHT

ZiggyHT First Runs

Hey Sandy,

Nevermind, I worked it out. Set 2 means Board + bindings, Set 3 means Board + Bindings + boots.
    Also, there is another place that had a really good selection of stuff. In Shibuya, on the 6th floor of Parco 1 (a massive department store).
    I was able to get a Set 2 for ¥ 16800. The board was a Trans FR 163.
    My mate also got a Set 2, but from Kanda Cheap. A Salomon Pulse + Salomon speedfit bindings. Only set him back ¥ 11920.

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction.

#41 ZiggyHT, Jan 19, 2012
  42. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yep some good deals to be had there on old season stuff. Current season stuff was exy.

43. Sandy

That's true, I've been meaning to get in there and have a look. The Parco sale has been on for a couple of weeks.

#43 Sandy, Jan 19, 2012
  44. ladinsey

ladinsey First Runs

Hi Sandy,

Next time you are there if you notice any size 30.5 ski or board boots would you please let me know with rough prices? I will be in town on the 31st Jan.

Thanks!

45. Sandy

I saw some Salomon ski boots in a 30.5 in the cheap shop a few weeks back. I'll have a look this weekend. The price was around 8000 yen (about $100)

#45 Sandy, Jan 20, 2012
  46. Sandy

They had 29.5, 30.5, 31.5 and 33.0 sizes in a Salomon. Prices were around 9000-12000 yen with the discount card.

#46 Sandy, Jan 22, 2012
  47. stumpy308

stumpy308 Hard Yards

Am I going mad or has London Sports gone this week??
    I couldnt find it today! I walked all the way from Jimbocho to Ogawamachi along Yasukino Dori. Went past ICI, what seemed like 100 Victoria stores, L-Breath, then crossed the road at the Honho Dori. Walking back along Yasukino Dori all I saw where London Sports should be was a boarded up store?
    I got what I wanted anyway, but I just want to know if Im right??

48. Sandy

I was there on Friday and it was still there....

Right across the alley is a new construction which is all covered up.

#48 Sandy, Jan 22, 2012
  49. stumpy308

stumpy308 Hard Yards

Oh well, Im going mad then!! Gee they dont make it easy to find!

Lets hope I can do a little better at Akihabara today!!

50. Sandy

Well, there is some chance it closed on the weekend, but everything was in full swing on Friday, and they had plenty of stuff there. Ordinarily, they get quiet in the off season, and it's around that time that I would expect it to fold if there was any problem!

Anyway, I'll be checking there in the next few days, and we'll know for sure.

What are you after in Akihabara?

#50 Sandy, Jan 23, 2012