Resource Buying ski/snowboard gear in Tokyo season 2016/2017

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sandy, Oct 9, 2016.

1. skier richie

skier richie Just Registered

Hi guys,
    first time poster on this page but I am apart of a few other forums and have been following this thread closely . Heading up to Japan for trip to Hakuba on Friday. Looking to buy high end jacket and pants to replace my worn out gear I currently own in tokyo. Just wondering if you can find brands like Patagonia, North Face, Helly Hansen e.t.c for a good price in stores like London Sports as I am yet to do any shopping in that area.
    Cheers!

2. oppositelock

oppositelock Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

@Sandy
    Not strictly ski gear but have you come across any cheapish Ricoh Theta S cameras?
    [​IMG]

I had a play with one in Bic camera and I'm looking at picking up one for vfx work.

3. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Look it up on kakaku.com

I'll take a look later when I'm off the mountain

4. mannyk

mannyk Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

What is it?

5. oppositelock

oppositelock Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

360 degree still and video camera.

6. trufflecheese

trufflecheese Just Registered

Hey guys I've shared a map here I've been making based on this thread and my own research.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pzoXAYELD7a-fYjCBCcquM9LiBo&usp=sharing

I've tried to mark as much possible according to google maps. When I wasn't sure because the location didn't come up (probably not translated to English on maps) I just marked the location with a blue pin and put it in "" 's so you know its from this thread (the graphical map posted by the OP).

Please note this map is created with me never having been there, so it may have errors. I have shared it in edit mode so you can add and edit.

I'm still trying to confirm this area:
    I think it's marked on my map around Burton Flagship Store - I'd love to know more what's there as I'm keen to look around that also.

There are 2 patagonia stores locatable on google maps. Not sure if the stores are snow gear focused.

7. trufflecheese

trufflecheese Just Registered

Too late for me to edit the first quote in the above post but it should be by the OP, Sandy:

8. Andrew Worner

Andrew Worner Just Registered

Hi Sandy, first time poster - i stumbled across this thread (it's great)...i'm heading skiing in Myoko Kogen next month for something different to Niseko and Hakuba - last year we tried Asahidake and it was AMAZING!!! Anyhow, i'll be sure to head to the shops you've suggested as i'm after new pants and gloves. I live in Singapore and there is extremely limited offerings here. Also, i may be interested in purchasing some twin tip powder skis (would need skis and bindings). I have some Fisher AMCs but in Japan these don't really suit so i end up hiring demo skis each year which seems to be adding up...what could i expect to pay in the way of reasonable powder skis? Are there many options still at this time of year and where is best to start? (prob 165s). Cheers

9. Sandy

Are you after "twin tips" or "double rocker" skis.... there's a big difference these days!!!! ;)

I will take a look at what they have left when I'm there next, but Sports Crew have the best prices.

10. Andrew Worner

Thanks sandy, double rocker I guess (more powder friendly skis in general)

11. Sandy

And how wide? If you're not too sure, then don't get anything too much wider than 100mm under foot

12. Andrew Worner

Yep nothing more than 100mm underfoot, 160 high. Don't mind if there a few seasons old - don't think things have changed that much. Reasonable backcountry/powder skis really.

13. debbers

debbers Just Registered

Ooooo lucky you!
    Hakuba has a Patagonia shop, saw it on the bus run to the supermarket. BUT it's new season stuff and pretty pricey. Sorry don't know the location though.

I would have a look at all the suggestions from Sandy on the first page. The directions given are excellent and easy to find.

Be prepared for the crowds if a weekend at London Sports. We had to push through saying "sumimasen" all the time. Oh and you will need to take your shoes off before stepping into the change room. So wear easy on/off shoes.

All the snow related stuff seems to be on the street. Can't remember if I saw a Patagonia though. Victoria Sports seemed too have a very large range of gear but very pricey. Spazio wasn't too bad either.

I ended buying a Bonfire shell jacket (men's style actually, cos I really liked it) from Fuso snowboard shop. They had a clearance rack with some really good bargains.

Don't know if they are still having the New Years sale on, but when we went back mid Jan, it was still on. Maybe there might be a sale for the Lunar New Year? Which is coming up??

Something to note is the sizing! Much smaller esp in the shoulders and arms. I can fit into a size small for Japan men's jackets (loose fit but the arms and shoulders were prefect). I wear a ladies size 6 (and I'm 5ft 3). I found the shoulders and arm length too short in some of the women's jackets (even with sizing up), so I imagine this might be the case for men's clothing.

Have fun!!! Happo one looks amazing. Btw, check out the gyoza place to eat (random roundish building near the bridge). It's on the same street down from Happo gondola. Opp a small general shop (sells beer, snack, souvenirs). The party gyozas plate is the best.

14. debbers

debbers Just Registered

I remember seeing quite a large range in Victoria Sports and Spazio. Not a 100% but I thought I saw Smiths at Victoria.

I would head down to the ski shops area. It's worth the look around. There's so much to look around and choice. We spent the whole day there. Esp if you have a wider budget, there's heaps! Styles are very trendy and so much more interesting then compared to what you find in Australia.

Only downside is the waterproofing and breathability ratings for the gear was not as high as I would have liked for Aussie conditions.

Have fun!

15. Dru

Dru Just Registered

Hi. So very very helpful. How about a Splitboard setup? Did 'you' happen to notice much options in Tokyo with a medium budget - arigati

16. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

@Sandy - What is the situation now with "Tax Free" shopping for visitors with stamped passport. I read somewhere some months ago that goods purchased at one shop must be over 5000Y to receive the 8% back? Does the shop have to be a participant (ie have TAX FREE sticker on window etc), or are all shops now providing this service to visitors?
    Will be having a good squiz around the ski shops in Tokyo again in Feb. Never know what we might find.

#166 Zimboo, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  17. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

18. Sandy

It used to be that only big stores had "Tax Free", and the limit was 10,000yen in only one place. But I've seen more and more smaller places with "Tax Free", and with consolidation, it looks increasingly do-able.

19. ejump0

ejump0 Just Registered

Been to Kanda area, guess all good cheap jacket n pants under 10kyen are limited now at London n Fuso. Do check out Spazio as well.I sawgood pricing stuffs there.

Got myself an under 10k yen 686 jacket at Fuso

20. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

They are there, they are not cheap. i wouldnt buy one in japan.

21. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

Bought a heap of stuff tax free this trip.
    Most shops in the Jimbocho area had tax free. in the Kappabashi kitchen district they had a central shop that managed tax free for the street.

Also, ignore the taxfree information which says they want to see your purchases at the airport. they are interested in anything. just tear all your receipts out of your passport and put them in the basket..

22. WillyW

WillyW Just Registered

Sandy, We have 2 days in Tokyo sightseeing/shopping. I'm working on the idea that some of the stores close at 8:00pm...meaning we could have the opportunity of sightseeing and before going back to our hotel......shop for those last minute ski items before we head off to Niseko. We haven't yet booked our Tokyo accommodation...so does the idea of staying close to the snow shop district have any merit? I'm liking the idea of at least visiting London sports...but couldn't find there web-site. I know my 15yo son (we are all beginner level) is keen on buying a board/binding/boot combination. Your thoughts please? (I like your photos of inside the store)

23. Sandy

You could stay around Akihabara, and walk or go one stop on JR.
    8pm should still work, but you won't have much time there

24. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Ok @Sandy for years you've been the resident expert in regards to ski shops in Tokyo but what about Sapporo ?

Do you or anyone else here have info about ski shops in Sapporo ?

25. Sandy

No, sorry!!
    Don't live there so I don't know the shops....

26. Hauffy

Hauffy Active Member

This might be a bit random, but, I'm kinda keen on the one piece snowboarding outfits that some locals guys wear:thumbs: anyone ever spotted them in the Tokyo stores?
    Will probably do the rounds of the ski shops on Monday.
    Powder skirts detached from the legs of my Flylow pants this week(3 yrs old 20/20 ) and my jacket is about 8 yrs old. Good enough excuse to buy a onesie??:D

27. Charles G

Charles G Just Registered

Sandy, thanks for the incredible information. I am going to Tokyo next week and would like to pick up a set of ski. Would I be able to find Blizzard brand in these stores? Thanks in advance.

28. Sandy

Take a look in Sports Crew. They have Blizzard in there, and some discounted prices.

29. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

They are at most japanese snow stores. If you are a big dude (like remotely near 6 foot) they probably wont have a size... you might get lucky, I tried on the biggest they had a few years back and they werent comfortable.. If you can find airblaster they are an american brand that make them and the sizes will be better..

30. Agent 86

Agent 86 Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

Hello Sandy
    3rd visit comming up and finaly talked my wife into purchasing some ski boots as she stuggles to get good fitting hire boots. No ski shops anywhere close to where we live and so i will get something when we are in tokyo for the morning next Monday.
    As i snowboard i have no idea on what is a good ski boot can you suggest a good make or any i should stay away from ?. Which shop would be the best for fitting in the ski shop area and will i get a good boot for around 250 -300 aud ?
    Thanks in advance any info would be appreciated

31. Sandy

You can get a good boot in London Sports for $250-$300, but not the best fitting. Best fitting would be Fuso or ICI Race (but ICI are way expensive just for fitting)
    Most well known brands will be good. (Salomon, Lange, Atomic, Rossignol......)

32. Agent 86

Agent 86 Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

Awsome thanks for getting back to me

33. Charles G

Charles G Just Registered

Thanks Sandy for the advice. Indeed Sports Crew has 35% off on Blizzard skis, but less on binders. Overall it is not the big sales season now.

34. Shuai Quan

Shuai Quan Just Registered

Hey Sandy, awesome thread. Your advises have been really helpful.

Anyways, I'll be heading over for some boarding in Japan and i'm really keen on getting a set of board with bindings and boots! Any idea how much would it cost me? I'm not particular with the brand as i'm still a beginner. Thanks alot!

35. Blackstone

Blackstone Just Registered

Sandy,
    Thanks for all the info.
    I need a wheeled ski bag, best place to go?

Al

36. wutchusay

wutchusay Active Member

Hey Sandy

Have the end of season sales started yet? Looking for some Descente Japan Ski pants and possibly a Phenix jacket.

Thanks

37. Mattmm

Mattmm Just Registered

First time in the Tokyo ski shops. How is the boot fitting at Vail. Struggling to find 27.5 backcountry ready boots. Am I better off ordering online from us

38. Sandy

Should be able to find the whole set for less than 30,000 at London Sports. I am away skiing right now, but I can check on the weekend....

39. Sandy

Lots of shops have wheeled ski bags, but not so cheap. Check London Sports first, but I can't recall seeing any there recently. I'd check Kandahar next.

40. Sandy

Should be able to find Descent ski pants in London Sports. Other shops should have Phenix

41. Sandy

Best boot fitting is at Fuso. ICI Race is still good, but is now ridiculously over priced.

42. ponyrider

ponyrider Active Member

I had a good run through of all the stores close to Ogawamachi station earlier this week. Amazing number of stores along that stretch. With regard goggles, I noted 'Asian sizing' written on most of the boxes. If you take something like the Smith I/O in Asian sizing, does that just mean it's basically an I/OS (Smith's smaller version of the same model?)

43. Sandy

Not usually.... if you have a good look, you will notice that the sponge around the nose is larger, filling up space around smaller, wider asian noses, on goggles designed for larger western noses. This sponge is often quite soft and can be trimmed if you find some cheap name brand goggles.

44. Cantthinkofone

Cantthinkofone Just Registered

Gday Sandy. I get to Narita with work regularly for short stays. Wondering if it's worth the journey into Tokyo to pick up some gear (clothing mainly) for 4 and 6 year olds for the Aus/ NZ season. Do they have reasonable end of season sales and is there much stock left coming to the end of the Japanese season. Thanks for all your info.

45. Shirlene.O

Shirlene.O Just Registered

Hi Sandy, Im heading to Tokyo in Aug18, and hoping to look for a pair of ski. I have my own ski boots and want to get off from rental. Im a intermediate skier. Just wondering if i can get any good price ski in Aug? and what brand should I be looking into. I ski on both piste and off-piste. my budget will be around 40k yen, ski & binding, not sure if the price is possible. Thanks for ur help!

#195 Shirlene.O, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  46. Sandy

The end of season sales are on now....
    London Sports has quite a lot of kids gear right now. It's worth taking a look

47. Sandy

Some shops will be closed for the summer, or have their summer gear out.
    But there will be reasonable amounts of gear on sale, and you'll be able to find something for 40k(skis and bindings)
    Major brands all make good skis.
    Make sure you have your boot sole length (in mm, near the bottom of the boots on the side. E.g. 296mm, 306mm, etc)

48. Shirlene.O

Shirlene.O Just Registered

thank you so much! Any particular brand I should consider, as I have no idea which brand i should look at. Any particular shop u will recommend me to visit? Should I bring my boot for them to mount the binding?

49. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

I saw Head Rev Pro 85mm in Sports Crew for 20 thousand yen in Feb!!!!!!!!!

50. Sandy

Start at London Sports, they have a lot of Salomon skis there. No need to bring the boot, just the boot sole length will do, to mount the bindings. Also have a look in Sports Crew.(my favourite shop!!!)

Pelm1 likes this.