Resource Buying Ski/Snowboard gear in Tokyo Season 2018/2019

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sandy, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Hot, hot summer, record high months for Tokyo in March, April, July and October, huge typhoons.
    I went to the Tokyo ski shop area last weekend at the pre-season opening fair, on what I have considered to be a week earlier than usual, but they also did that last year.
    Kiosks line the street. They hand out resort info, along with some discount coupons.

This means it's time for the annual thread Buying Ski/Snowboard gear in Tokyo for Season 2018/2019.

All of the stores in the Tokyo ski shop area have moved their gear down to the ground floor.

Alpen is gone.

The AUD has been sitting pretty stable all year at around 80 yen/AUD, so the gear in Japan is a touch more expensive compared to last year.

London Sports outlet is the cheapest place in the whole area. They usually have budget, but quality brand skis, snowboards, boots downstairs, and clothes, goggles, hats, gloves upstairs. They also have brand name sports shoes and clothes.
    Last year the old store lease was up, and they moved two doors down in to the tiny location, but they opened a new store around Christmas last year, just down the lane (see map)

Here are the maps to the ski shop area of Tokyo:

The two best boot fitting shops are the Fuso ski boot shop ( One of 3 Fuso shops almost all in a row, starting about 20m west of London Sports), and the ICI Race shop.
    There's also a new one one the corner to the SE of ICI main store

The cluster of Sakaiya stores northwest of Jimbocho Station:

A good place to try for some bargains on goggles & gloves is Kandahar. Not marked on my map, but they have 3-4 shops along the street between ICI main store and ICI hiking & climbing store. The stores are located in a row, along the street where the "&" is on my map (starting from about the "g" in "hiking")

K Village is still running(it's actually another Kandahar store..... it's located about 30-40m west of ICI hiking & climbing store. You can often find good deals on gloves & helmets.

If you're after goggles, it's worthwhile looking in ICI race, as they have old season goggles there.

Also, if you take a walk down Meiji Dori (street) SE from Harajuku Station about 250m, then take a right down Meiji Dori (main crossing, & main road south between there and Shibuya station), you will see a number of ski/snowboard clothes shops. Go about 500m until the road bends left (as you see the JR railway line), then turn left, then left and double back on the parallel street (Cat Street). There are more shops along there, including a Burton shop.

Have a look in London Sports first. It can be very cheap. However, last weekend, there were not many skis or snowboards yet
    You can get an additional discount with their card, or buy subscribing to their Line link.

Usually, you buy something, and they give you a card, but if you're quick, grab a card from the stack at the cashier, then plan your strategy. It gives you 10% off the already discounted prices. For around every 3000yen you spend, you get a stamp When you have 6 stamps, you can get a one off 20%. So best thing to do is to spend enough to fill 6 stamps in one or more purchases, then make one big purchase with your 20% off.

Ramenman, Any, Froff Life and 2 others like this.
  2. Any

Any One of Us

Yesterday I spent 3-4 hours wandering around looking at all the ski ships in Kanda Tokyo.
    Its Disney land for ski bums, and I included some pics below.
    You can see how densely the stores are stocked.

My plan was to sample a heap of prices and make some price comparisons for you guys, but it quickly become impractical.
    Every brand and every model of ski, board and gear is here, some Japanese only brands, plus some brands that I've never even heard of. Too much to make any sense of it all. The chances that I might find and compare the prices of something that you're interested in are so low that its just not worth doing.
    I made some price comparisons for gear that I was interested in, and found the prices here to be either the same as Rakuten or slightly better. Ebay prices were always worse. and Amazon prices were ridiculously bad. I didn't compare with purchasing internationally and shipping, this can often be cheaper, but its for people with much more time spare.
    I went away with a new pair of last years model skis, gloves and socks.

I took some pics of gear I was interested in, or if i could fit a heap of prices into one photo. So you can check them out here if you like, but keep in mind that by next week all the prices will probably change again anyway.

I also tried taking note of which stores had english speaking staff. But this was another mistake, they almost all do! I should have taken notes of which stores dont have english speaking staff.

If you're looking to buy ski gear for your trip, my advise would be to come here with a checklist of gear you want, with already an expected value/budget in mind, and pick up anything that takes your fancy.
    It's at most 3000 yen to mail something, otherwise many shops have ski/board bags for sale. they will mount bindings for free too.

cool but doesnt fit
    [​IMG]

Roko skis! (made in Niseko)
    [​IMG]

Wapan?!
    [​IMG]

nope... to cold.
    [​IMG]

A way over engineered Goldwin jacket. Something like 18 zips!
    [​IMG]

3. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass: Gold

Your pictures are a great indication of pricing.

The flux bindings for instance are half of what they are in Australia.
    You can also see the economics of pairing bindings and snowboards in a purchase.

Any likes this.
  4. Any

Any One of Us

yeah i think its much easier to get a feel for the pricing once youve seen a pic or two.
    we take it for granted that everything here is so much cheaper than Aus prices, but you dont really believe it until you see it.

5. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

The prices on this picture are 定価 = retail price desired by makers, and "スタッフにおたずね下さい" is written. It means "Ask staff (the real price)". In most cases, the price gets a lot cheaper.
    [​IMG]

6. Sandy

People sometimes ask me if I can keep an eye out for something, or see if I can find a particular item, but you can see it's just impossible. There are so many shops, so much gear, so many prices, that you just cannot cover every shop and everything

7. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Speaking of Goldwin, they are opening a flagship shop near Tokyo Station this week.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They say one of their latest jackets is Austrian biggest ski school's official uniform now:p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shop is opening here on 8th
    [​IMG]

8. Any

Any One of Us

i hate when they make you ask.
    i just dont bother. and they miss out on a potential sale.
    i wonder if its a different culture thing.

Ramenman likes this.
  9. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture

Those surfboards are waaaaaaayyyy overpriced

Any likes this.
  10. Donzah

I used to work with a Japanese guy at Sds.
    He'd buy six boards at a time here in Australia . Fly to Tokyo return. Sell the boards at 3 X what he paid.

Any and Annabuzzy like this.
  11. Any

Any One of Us

woah.
    buy skis in japan, surfboards in oz, check ;)

12. Mark*V

Mark*V Hard Yards
    Ski Pass: Silver

What would the price difference be between buying a mid range pair of ski boots in Tokyo v Hakuba? Just a rough estimate obviously, I need a pair of boots and it will be tight getting the time to stop in Tokyo on the way in, but if there is a massive price difference I may have to make the time.

13. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

#13 Ramenman, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  14. Sandy

When are you in Japan?
    Hakuba would tend to be on the high side, particularly early/mid season.
    There are almost always bargains to be had in the Tokyo ski shop area, depending on when you are there.

15. Donzah

Stuff is expensive in Hakuba .. dearer than Australia IMO
    *though I did see some AT boots that were silly cheap (end of season)
    ** Boots can take hours to fit.

Mark*V likes this.
  16. Mark*V

Mark*V Hard Yards

Arrive January 12 plan to go straight to Hakuba. There are some good rental deals, 9 days for around $100, so I may have to hire

17. Donzah

Beware Rental boots in Japan. Both size and the last of the boot might not be compatible with your feet. You're spending good money to go on holiday. Don't waste it on hiring boots.
    If you are keen on buying a set of boots. Do it in Australia IMO

18. Mark*V

Mark*V Hard Yards

I am in WA, there isn't a ski shop here. That's the problem. I can buy secondhand here, buy online, buy in Japan, or hire

19. Sandy

Where is that rental? If it's at your accommodation(and it's $100 for 9 days), think twice, because usually that gear is REALLY old and crappy.... narrow skis, 10yo.

mannyk likes this.
  20. Mark*V

Mark*V Hard Yards

I only need boots Sandy. I'm making enquiries now as to what type of boot I will be hiring. Its at the new rental shop part of Skijapan.com at the Hakuba gateway hotel.

21. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture

I’d trust my feet to the boot guy at the bottom of Goryu (Hakuba) but the cost will be much the same as in Oz.

Mark*V likes this.
  22. RJR

RJR First Runs

Hi Sandy (& ors),

Long time viewer, first time poster, fourth time visiting Japan.

Thanks for the great thread. Extremely helpful.

I'm in the market for the Nordica Soul Rider 87 with Griffon bindings. Have these come to your notice when scouring the stores in Tokyo, and if so, how much they are going for? Or would it be just as expensive to purchase online at US prices and post to AUS (going for about $537 USD incl. postage)

Thanks a bunch,

Ryan

23. Any

Any One of Us

howdy Ryan, welcome to the forums.
    i don't mean to be overly negative here, but thought it best to prevent this from happening for any future replies to this thread.
    > its effectively pointless to ask for price comparisons here.

i think the best use for the Tokyo ski shops area is to come through with a rough idea what you want, and pick up a good deal when you find one. looking for an exact year and model of a ski will probably only end in disappointment.

there's literally thousands of brands/models of skis and bindings available in Kanda. and there's like 50 shops (no joke) full of gear, sometimes with such narrow densely packed isles that its dark and you can barely fit down them. additionally, the prices are likely to change weekly. in fact you'll notice that many stores dont advertise prices because they change too often.
    even if I was walking through there today, for me to find you a price on your skis and bindings would take me several hours to check all the stores for the best price. plus if you weren't coming out until Jan, the prices will certainly be better by Jan, and stock on an old model of skis is certainly not guaranteed.

if you're willing to pay Sandy travel time, an hourly rate, and lunch, to search the stores for the products you're looking
    for im then maybe he might oblige.
    (that line is intended mostly as a joke btw)
    my point, is that its effectively pointless to ask for price comparisons here :) I should have made these facts it more clear in my post.

what you can do however, is check my post for the link to the imgur gallery. I am certain I took a photo or two of prices of griffons. so you can already try to find some prices yourself accurate for Nov 2nd.
    also hinted in my thread is that the prices were very competitive with Rakuten prices. so you could use https://www.rakuten.co.jp/ to compare also. make sure you're using the japanese site not the global english version, and just search in english.

imo, $600 for an unused pair of mounted skis is a pretty good deal.

#23 Any, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  24. Donzah

For people that don't appreciate how the stores are. Imagine a Army Disposal store. Then another. . And another.
    It's like going to a garage sale of ski gear.
    Japan is odd like that.
    A 25 grand watch in a store with a crappy price ticket, next to a novelty face mask.

Any likes this.
  25. Bozo

Bozo First Runs

Thanks for the great pics, really appreciate those who post hi-res photos of the products and price. Thank you.

Got a pair of Salomon snowboard boots at London sport 10 years ago for $50 au, absolute bargain, even had my size 12au. although i think i got lucky with the size. I stick my nose in there every couple of years and pick up some real gems. Great for those on a budget or a great bargain.

If anyone is in London sport over the next 2 months see if you can get a few more pics of the merchandise and post here. I'll be in there on the 25th or 26th of January 2019. i wont have time to hit anywhere else but will post any good deals i see while i'm there.

26. Sandy

I was in there last weekend, and while they put in their winter gear only 3 weeks ago, they had slightly more selection last week... Should improve in the next month.

Fuso Sports clothes shop have a few pairs of Burton AK Cyclic goretex pants for around 20,000yen.

Bozo likes this.
  27. mannyk

mannyk One of Us

Be careful and respectful when taking pics in peoples store, please ask first. Just saying. I always ask.

28. dcx3

dcx3 Hard Yards

Does anyone have any experience with ski boot fitters in the Osaka kobe area? The wife is going back to skiing and needs something that fits nicely or she ends up with bruised toes

29. Viral

Viral First Runs

Hi guys, buying my first pair of skis and have looked at the stock both today and a couple of weeks ago. Have spoken to the staff members a lot too but they seem so eager to sell so they all say different things. I am hoping to spend up to 50000 yen on skis and bindings. Old models are fine.

I generally just ski down normal slopes, like to carve and reach high speeds. Occasionally ski backwards, but no big jumps or anything. I may go into some powder at some point so I don't want too narrow a centre.

I was looking at two sets of skis in particular. Both are around 60000 yen with bindings.

The first is "Majesty Adventure Adventure GT" (this year) 130/91/110, 17 radius. Second is a 2 year old Armada invictus 99 TI 132/97/122 19.5 radius.

Is there one you would recommend getting? I am an upper intermediate skier but basically stay on piste all the time. As I said above depending on who I am skiing with I may trail off from time to time but I'd say 1% of the time max. I want these to last a while too since I'm mainly only buying to hopefully get a return on not renting all the time.

Also I won't be heading out until mid January - do you think it's worth waiting until then to buy or should I get something now?

Male, 26 years old, 70kg, 178cm height,if that changes anything.

Thanks for the help!

30. gibbsy

gibbsy Hard Yards

Hi folks, been a while since I went through the area but will be there next week.... Anyone seen any bib pants for sale with any indicators of price?

31. Sandy

Size?

32. Sandy

When you say you've "looked at the stock" and "won't be heading out until mid January", That means you are not looking in Japan?

33. Panpanace

Panpanace First Runs

Hi guys, we're back in Japan this January and I am in the market for skis + boots for my 13 yo daughter. Having bought some boots for myself from London Sport a couple of years ago, I could be wrong but it didn't strike me as the place to go to for good advice. Great bargain, yeah. We only have a few hour to spare I was hoping someone could recommend a shop (or a couple) where we can get some good advice and on a set for her, including boot fitting. Many thanks.