1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Resource Buying Ski/Snowboard gear in Tokyo Season 2019/2020

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sandy, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Hot May, cool and wet July, hot August, hot September, a direct hit from a strong typhoon on Tokyo, a warm start to October, but cooling a bit next week..... and This means it's time for the annual thread Buying Ski/Snowboard gear in Tokyo for Season 2019/2020. I guess I've been doing this for about 10 years now....

I went to the Tokyo ski shop area last weekend, about 4 weeks earlier than I did last year.
    Some shops have changed over their gear, and moved their snow gear down to the ground floor.

The AUD has been sitting stable for a few months, but worse than last year at about 73 yen/AUD, so the gear in Japan is again more expensive than compared to last year.
    Added to this, the 8% GST has jumped to 10% on October 1st.... I guess it doesn't make all that much difference, when compared to the worse exchange rate

London Sports outlet is still the cheapest place in the whole area.
    Two years ago, the old store lease was up, and they moved two doors down in to the tiny location, but they opened a new store just down the lane, in the basement (see map). I bought a couple of pairs of skis for friends there last January. The tiny main street store has brand name sports shoes and clothes, and some snow wear upstairs, along with helmets.
    The lane way basement store usually have budget, but quality brand skis, snowboards, boots, clothes, goggles, hats, gloves. They also have name brand winter and hiking boots, with lots of Adidas Terrex shoes/boots, including large sizes. (I saw some Japanese size 33, which is about a size 14 US)
    They had some ABSOLUTE bargains on ski boots there last years and I'll do an update on the gear when they get it in.

Here are the maps to the ski shop area of Tokyo:

The two best boot fitting shops are the Fuso ski boot shop ( One of 3 Fuso shops almost all in a row, starting about 20m west of London Sports), and the ICI Race shop. There's also a new one one the corner to the SE of ICI main store
    The Fuso clothes and accessories store usually has a selection of top brand runout jackets and pants just near the front door.

The cluster of Sakaiya stores northwest of Jimbocho Station, although I haven;t been there for a while:

A good place to try for some bargains on goggles & gloves is Kandahar. I saw some North Face leather mitts there for about $110 AUD.
    Not marked on my map, but they have 3-4 shops along the street between ICI main store and ICI hiking & climbing store. The stores are located in a row, along the street where the "&" is on my map (starting from about the "g" in "hiking")

K Village is still running(it's actually another Kandahar store..... it's located about 30-40m west of ICI hiking & climbing store. You can often find good deals on gloves & helmets.

If you're after goggles, it's worthwhile looking in ICI race, as they have old season goggles there, but not as many as last year (yet).
    ICI Main store had Oakley Airbrake XL there, for 24,000yen.

Where to look first:
    Have a look in London Sports first. It can be very cheap.
    You can get an additional discount with their card (10-20%), or buy by subscribing to their Line link. (15%)

Usually, you buy something, and they give you a card, but if you're quick, grab a card from the stack at the cashier, then plan your strategy. It gives you 10% off the already discounted prices. For around every 3000yen you spend, you get a stamp When you have 6 stamps, you can get a one off 20%. So best thing to do is to spend enough to fill 6 stamps in one or more purchases, then make one big purchase with your 20% off.

In the area near Shibuya/Harajuku:
    Also, if you take a walk down Meiji Dori (street) SE from Harajuku Station about 250m, then take a right down Meiji Dori (main crossing, & main road south between there and Shibuya station), you will see a number of ski/snowboard clothes shops. Go about 500m until the road bends left (as you see the JR railway line), then turn left, then left and double back on the parallel street (Cat Street). There are more shops along there, including a Burton shop.

#1 Sandy, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    southpaw, Kimski, Froff Life and 4 others like this.
  2. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

Hey if anyone is in the area, could you have a look to see if Sports Crew still have Line Sick Day 104s and 114s...Last time I was there they had the retro topsheet versions at bargain prices.

Might grab me a pair if they're still around...they're the two skis on the right of pic (preferably in the 179/180 lengths)

Thanks!

3. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

Hey Sandy,

I saw your post from last year and was hoping you would be helping out with some info again this year.

I'm heading to Hakuba for a couple of weeks at the start of Feb and am contemplating a stop off in Tokyo on the way as our plane lands at 7am. I need to pick up a pair of skis, poles and a helmet, maybe some bib pants also before I get to Hakuba and I'm wondering how they go for size over there as I am around 200cm tall.

I've got my heart set on a pair of Enforcer 100's at 193cm. These seem to be disappearing quickly from shops and I am wondering what my chances of being able to pick up a pair of these is.

I am hoping to pick up a Smith MIPS Helmet. Haven't seen these discussed at all and I'm also wondering if they ever show up in Tokyo.

Cheers

4. Sandy

Unlike 4-5 years ago, there's a huge selection of helmets available. Sometimes, it comes down to sizes.
    Skis in a 193cm will be a little rare, but if around, will not go out the door in a hurry.

I'll be going to the ski shop area more often in the next couple of months so I can keep my eye out.

NoSkillWill likes this.
  5. Sandy

Nordica Enforcer 100 available at Sports Crew, but only in a 185cm. 53,000yen

6. Sandy

No Line Sick Day at Sport Crew.

7. Sandy

Most of the shops in the Tokyo Ski Shop area now have their winter gear downstairs.

London Sports have a lot of snow gear in their alley store, and will move the rest of the summer gear out soon.
    There are two pairs of Marmot Alpinist Bib pants, which are GORE-TEX Pro Shell 3 layer. Just over 20,000yen. XL size only.

Ski Boots:

Mitchthewitch and NoSkillWill like this.
  8. Sandy

And Salomon & Giro helmets 7560 & 8260 yen.

NoSkillWill likes this.
  9. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

Thanks for all the info Sandy, absolute legend!

10. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Hey Sandy. If possible can you please take some pics of girls snowboard sets. (board bindings etc) Just seeing if the prices are the same as last time I went.

11. Sandy

Ok.
    What length are you after? How old's Poppy, because I got my daughter a snowboard, bindings, boots and bag quite a while back, for about 22,000. She was 16yo at the time and small, but I did see some cheap deals in small snowboards yesterday.

12. Donzah

She'll be 13...But similar size to your daughter....

Thanks mate.
    *i'm taking her skis too, someone has decided that snowboarding is alot of fun...

13. Sandy

Same!!!! She decided she'll only snowboard in Japan, because "the snow in Australia is too hard"

Donzah likes this.
  14. Donzah

Thats my wife to a tee.
    *and lack of crowds.
    Its funny how many girls go from skiing to snowboarding as they enter their teens..

15. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Teen rebellion - (or a nice looking snowboard instructor - fathers can't compete :evil:)