Resource Buying Ski/Snowboard gear in Tokyo Season 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Back on the forum again as it is getting closer to our arrival in Japan. Will be going to the snowsport shopping area around 1 or 2 March. Just wanted to see if anyone knows what the stock level / discounts are like at the moment? As I previously said, my partner and I are both around beginner / novice level.

For more information, I am around 163.5cm, 54kg US7 feet, and he is around 190cm, 105kg US12 feet.

I am looking around at second hand gear in Sydney at the moment and there's quite a few options, so wondering if it is better to get some gear now, or wait till we are in Japan.

In addition, if I do get a board in Sydney, are there many places to get a tune up in Tokyo / Nozawa? Or should I get it serviced in Sydney?

Thanks!

See above

miken

First Runs
Dec 29, 2019
@Sandy Wow thanks for the headsup!

Do you know if there are many large boots? My partner's snowboot size last time we hired was around 28.5 - 29.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
@Sandy Wow thanks for the headsup!

Do you know if there are many large boots? My partner's snowboot size last time we hired was around 28.5 - 29.
I didn't check, but try London Sports first (the basement shop in the alley), as it's an outlet shop, and regularly have oversized boots (particularly early season)

Stanislas

First Runs
Feb 3, 2021
If you are new in skiing I suggest you rent different once and see whether you like them or not. Also, I suggest you take shorter once for manoeuvrability. I went here https://bluehouseskis.com/ and found out that there are essentially all-purpose mountain skis. Unfortunately, there’s a catch – there are different types of all-mountain skis. But there simply aren’t specific measurements and sizes that determine which ones are and which ones aren’t all-mountain skis, as manufacturers have their own way of designing them. Also, you should check the terrain in advance and also check your ski flexibility. My dad bought some under flexible skis and they broke when he went down the slide. Otherwise, they were awesome accept they broke. That's why I suggest renting first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass