Buying ski/snowboard gear in Tokyo Season 2020/2021

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Extra warm January, worst snow in 60 years (although 60 year high snowfall in some places in central Japan in February, like Myoko), hottest August on record(34.4 degrees mean high in Tokyo, and equal hottest day 41.1 degrees in Japan), coldest day in early October for 41 years (15.4 degrees).
And then there was COVID......

What does it all mean?
Well, the bad January was bad for ski/snowboard gear sales in Tokyo. They weren't moving equipment, because people were cancelling trips, and mountains shut early, or didn't open at all. Then COVID made the season die an early death.... While I skied past mid March at Shiga Kogen where the elevation is high, the crowds disappeared from about the 20th February. By early March, even the weekends were probably 25% of normal. And this put paid to more ski/snowboard gear sales.

Sooooo........ This means it's time for the annual thread Buying Ski/Snowboard gear in Tokyo for Season 2020/2021.

I went to the Tokyo ski shop last weekend and today, and most shops have swapped their off season hiking gear for snow gear, and moved their snow gear down to the ground floor.

The AUD has been swinging wildly due to COVID, but has stabilised at around 75 yen/AUD. so the gear in Japan is again more expensive than compared to last year.

The bad news: After the bad season and COVID, I'd say 20-25% of the shops have shut.
The GOOD news: Most shops seem to be stuck with a lot of gear from last season, and a lot of gear is 40% off, or more (I saw up to 70% off). Not everything is on sale, but I suspect that if they don't move stuff, it will be discounted.

London Sports outlet is still the cheapest place in the whole area.
Three years ago, the old store lease was up, and they moved two doors down in to the tiny location, but they opened a new store just down the lane, in the basement (see map). The tiny main street store has brand name sports shoes and clothes, and some snow wear upstairs, along with helmets.
The lane way basement store usually have budget, but quality brand skis, snowboards, boots, clothes, goggles, hats, gloves. They also have name brand winter and hiking boots, with lots of Adidas Terrex shoes/boots, including large sizes. (I saw some Japanese size 33, which is about a size 14 US)
They had some ABSOLUTE bargains on ski boots there last years and I'll do an update on the gear when they get it in.

Here are the maps to the ski shop area of Tokyo:
Skishopareamap2.jpg

Tokyo Ski shops 2018-19.jpg

The two best boot fitting shops are the Fuso ski boot shop ( One of 3 Fuso shops almost all in a row, starting about 20m west of London Sports), the ICI Race shop, and also try Sports Crew. There's also a new one one the corner to the SE of ICI main store Closed
The Fuso clothes and accessories store usually has a selection of top brand runout jackets and pants just near the front door.

A good place to try for some bargains on goggles & gloves is Kandahar.

Not marked on my map, but they have 3-4 shops along the street between ICI main store and ICI hiking & climbing store. The stores are located in a row, along the street where the "&" is on my map (starting from about the "g" in "hiking")

If you're after goggles, it's worthwhile looking in ICI race, as they have old season goggles there, but not as many as last year (yet).
(The ICI Race Shop and hiking & climbing store have changed name, although they still seem to be ICI stores)

Where to look first:
Have a look in London Sports first. It can be very cheap.
You can get an additional discount with their card (10-20%), or buy by subscribing to their Line link. (15%)

Usually, you buy something, and they give you a card, but if you're quick, grab a card from the stack at the cashier, then plan your strategy. It gives you 10% off the already discounted prices. For around every 3000yen you spend, you get a stamp When you have 6 stamps, you can get a one off 20%. So best thing to do is to spend enough to fill 6 stamps in one or more purchases, then make one big purchase with your 20% off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll be away for a while in Nov/Dec so it may not be updated much in that time.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
The Snow Sports shop area is doing it tough. Business is down because of COVID.
Lots of stock on the shelves, and it's all discounted.
Some more shops have closed in the last month.

I bought these today. I've had my old boots for about 6 years, and showing a bit of wear and tear.
I wasn't planning to buy boots, but the price was too ridiculous to refuse!!!

salomon-x-max-120-ski-boots-2017--detail+1.jpg

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

I bought these today. I've had my old boots for about 6 years, and showing a bit of wear and tear.

Which is interesting.
Surf ....as a comparison has had some ridiculous sell through in Australia.
Virtually any leisure activity in Australia has had heightened sales. Bikes,SUPs , Surfboards, Golf etc etc.
Most retailers i talk to expect similar for ski gear this winter

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

Which is interesting.
Surf ....as a comparison has had some ridiculous sell through in Australia.
Virtually any leisure activity in Australia has had heightened sales. Bikes,SUPs , Surfboards, Golf etc etc.
Most retailers i talk to expect similar for ski gear this winter
When I was getting the custom shell heated and fitted, I asked him about the business. He said it was really bad.
And you can tell without asking.... there's LOADS of gear still on the shelves.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass