Buying ski/snowboard gear in Tokyo season 2021/22

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
After a non event for Aussies in Japan last season, I'll post this with the hope that Aussies will be able to get across here to Japan in early 2022.

After the worst January snow in 60 years in 2020 followed by COVID, the 2021 season was quiet in Japan. Often just 10s of people around at Hakuba & Shiga Kogen mid week, all of this meant that is was bad for ski/snowboard gear sales in Tokyo. They weren't moving equipment, because people were cancelling trips, and mountains shut early, or didn't open at all.

Well anyway, that means it's STILL time for the annual thread Buying Ski/Snowboard gear in Tokyo for Season 2021/2022.

I went to the Tokyo ski shop area this weekend. It's still September, so most shops haven't swapped their off season hiking gear for snow gear yet, nor have they moved their snow gear down to the ground floor. I can see closed shops with notices saying that they'll open again around 30th September, so jsut a couple of weeks away

The AUD is sitting just below 80 yen/AUD, so it's not too bad for Aussie vistors.

Hard to tell right now, but after the bad 2020 season and then COVID, maybe 20-25% of the shops have shut.
Once again the GOOD news: Most shops seem to be stuck with a lot of gear from last season, and a lot of gear is 40% off, or more (I saw up to 70% off). Not everything is on sale, but I suspect that if they don't move stuff, it will be discounted.

London Sports outlet is still the cheapest place in the whole area.
Four years ago, the old store lease was up, and they moved two doors down in to the tiny location, but they opened a new store just down the lane, in the basement (see map). The tiny main street store has brand name sports shoes and clothes, and some snow wear upstairs, along with helmets.
The lane way basement store usually have budget, but quality brand skis, snowboards, boots, clothes, goggles, hats, gloves. They also have name brand winter and hiking boots, with lots of Adidas Terrex shoes/boots, including large sizes. (I saw some Japanese size 33, which is about a size 14 US)
They had some ABSOLUTE bargains on ski boots there last years and I'll do an update on the gear when they get it in.

Here are the maps to the ski shop area of Tokyo. I need to update them, as some shops have closed, while others have moved or been renamed.
Skishopareamap2.jpg

Tokyo Ski shops 2018-19.jpg

The two best boot fitting shops are the Fuso ski boot shop ( One of 3 Fuso shops almost all in a row, starting about 20m west of London Sports), the ICI Race shop, and also try F-Janck Snow (Sports Crew closed, renamed moved up near the 7-11. )

The Fuso clothes and accessories store usually has a selection of top brand runout jackets and pants just near the front door. Not as much of that gear yet, but there's some there, and probably more later.

Not marked on my map, but they have 3-4 shops along the street between ICI main store and ICI hiking & climbing store. The stores are located in a row, along the street where the "&" is on my map (starting from about the "g" in "hiking")

Where to look first:
Have a look in London Sports first. It can be very cheap.
You can get an additional discount with their card (10-20%), or buy by subscribing to their Line link. (15%)

Usually, you buy something, and they give you a card, but if you're quick, grab a card from the stack at the cashier, then plan your strategy. It gives you 10% off the already discounted prices. For around every 3000yen you spend, you get a stamp When you have 6 stamps, you can get a one off 20%. So best thing to do is to spend enough to fill 6 stamps in one or more purchases, then make one big purchase with your 20% off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll be away for a while again in Nov/Dec so it may not be updated much in that time.

############# BARGAIN ALERT #############

I'll try to post any great bargains in a section with the above heading.

- Most skis & snowboards in the whole street are 40% off..... mostly last season's stock which just didn't sell.

- I was down there today looking for the discontinued Oakley Airbrake XL goggles. They have the Prizm lenses which are great for contrast. Unlike the newer models, the Airbrake XL have as standard, two interchangeable lenses. They are hard to find. I found 2 pairs in ICI main store, for 34,000 each($430 AUD), which was not so attractive. I went into Fuso Snowboard accessories shop. They had Oakley Flightdeck XL for 14,500-19,000yen, depending on the lens. I had almost given up when I went to the Fuso Ski shop upstairs in accessories. I didn't see any, and was about to head out, when I saw some run-out specials.
### Bargain Alert ### There were two pairs of Oakley Airbrake XL goggles. They were cheap. Total cost, 19,600 ($248 AUD). It was hard to decide which pair........ When I say "total cost", that was total cost for BOTH pairs, so I bought both!!! 9800yen each!

DSC_0026.JPG

Nemps20

Early Days
Jul 27, 2021
Sydney
After a non event for Aussies in Japan last season, I'll post this with the hope that Aussies will be able to get across here to Japan in early 2022.

After the worst January snow in 60 years in 2020 followed by COVID, the 2021 season was quiet in Japan. Often just 10s of people around at Hakuba & Shiga Kogen mid week, all of this meant that is was bad for ski/snowboard gear sales in Tokyo. They weren't moving equipment, because people were cancelling trips, and mountains shut early, or didn't open at all.

Well anyway, that means it's STILL time for the annual thread Buying Ski/Snowboard gear in Tokyo for Season 2021/2022.

I went to the Tokyo ski shop area this weekend. It's still September, so most shops haven't swapped their off season hiking gear for snow gear yet, nor have they moved their snow gear down to the ground floor. I can see closed shops with notices saying that they'll open again around 30th September, so jsut a couple of weeks away

The AUD is sitting just below 80 yen/AUD, so it's not too bad for Aussie vistors.

Hard to tell right now, but after the bad 2020 season and then COVID, maybe 20-25% of the shops have shut.
Once again the GOOD news: Most shops seem to be stuck with a lot of gear from last season, and a lot of gear is 40% off, or more (I saw up to 70% off). Not everything is on sale, but I suspect that if they don't move stuff, it will be discounted.

London Sports outlet is still the cheapest place in the whole area.
Four years ago, the old store lease was up, and they moved two doors down in to the tiny location, but they opened a new store just down the lane, in the basement (see map). The tiny main street store has brand name sports shoes and clothes, and some snow wear upstairs, along with helmets.
The lane way basement store usually have budget, but quality brand skis, snowboards, boots, clothes, goggles, hats, gloves. They also have name brand winter and hiking boots, with lots of Adidas Terrex shoes/boots, including large sizes. (I saw some Japanese size 33, which is about a size 14 US)
They had some ABSOLUTE bargains on ski boots there last years and I'll do an update on the gear when they get it in.

Here are the maps to the ski shop area of Tokyo. I need to update them, as some shops have closed, while others have moved or been renamed.
Skishopareamap2.jpg

Tokyo Ski shops 2018-19.jpg

The two best boot fitting shops are the Fuso ski boot shop ( One of 3 Fuso shops almost all in a row, starting about 20m west of London Sports), the ICI Race shop, and also try F-Janck Snow (Sports Crew closed, renamed moved up near the 7-11. )

The Fuso clothes and accessories store usually has a selection of top brand runout jackets and pants just near the front door. Not as much of that gear yet, but there's some there, and probably more later.

Not marked on my map, but they have 3-4 shops along the street between ICI main store and ICI hiking & climbing store. The stores are located in a row, along the street where the "&" is on my map (starting from about the "g" in "hiking")

Where to look first:
Have a look in London Sports first. It can be very cheap.
You can get an additional discount with their card (10-20%), or buy by subscribing to their Line link. (15%)

Usually, you buy something, and they give you a card, but if you're quick, grab a card from the stack at the cashier, then plan your strategy. It gives you 10% off the already discounted prices. For around every 3000yen you spend, you get a stamp When you have 6 stamps, you can get a one off 20%. So best thing to do is to spend enough to fill 6 stamps in one or more purchases, then make one big purchase with your 20% off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll be away for a while again in Nov/Dec so it may not be updated much in that time.

############# BARGAIN ALERT #############

I'll try to post any great bargains in a section with the above heading.

- Most skis & snowboards in the whole street are 40% off..... mostly last season's stock which just didn't sell.

- I was down there today looking for the discontinued Oakley Airbrake XL goggles. They have the Prizm lenses which are great for contrast. Unlike the newer models, the Airbrake XL have as standard, two interchangeable lenses. They are hard to find. I found 2 pairs in ICI main store, for 34,000 each($430 AUD), which was not so attractive. I went into Fuso Snowboard accessories shop. They had Oakley Flightdeck XL for 14,500-19,000yen, depending on the lens. I had almost given up when I went to the Fuso Ski shop upstairs in accessories. I didn't see any, and was about to head out, when I saw some run-out specials.
### Bargain Alert ### There were two pairs of Oakley Airbrake XL goggles. They were cheap. Total cost, 19,600 ($248 AUD). It was hard to decide which pair........ When I say "total cost", that was total cost for BOTH pairs, so I bought both!!! 9800yen each!

DSC_0026.JPG
Good score on the googles, but mainly thanks for the maps. Haven't been to this area/didn't know about it. Hopefully see you in Feb

Reactions: Sandy

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
IMO the shopping is better in Nagano city than Tokyo (if you're going to the larger style shops for main stream brands).

You just need a car.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass