1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Buying vs Hotel vs Ski Club Member

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by Mr. Miyagi, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Mr. Miyagi

Mr. Miyagi Hard Yards

After some assistance from the knowledgable folks here.

How does each option stack up? Assume 12 weekends per year (Friday and Saturday nights, 24 nights per season, for two adults and two kids).

Buying
    Interest on loan ($250k purchase with 1 x car space) = $12,500
    4wd pass = $650
    Insurance = $1,000
    Body corp fees = $10,000?
    Total = $24,150

Hotel
    Tariffs (based on Arlberg) = $7,460
    Annual car pass = $320
    Overnight parking = $600
    Transfers = $1,730
    Total = $10,110

Ski Club Member
    Interest on membership purchase (10k) = $500
    Tariffs (based on Schuss) = $5,400
    Village Access Pass = $650
    Overnight parking = $600
    Total = $7,150

Is there anything I've missed?

#1 Mr. Miyagi, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Rates / Body corporate etc on a basic 2br apartment at Buller are about $10k p.a. More if you have elevators / heated driveways etc.

Ski club member can generally get a 4WD Village Access pass.

#2 CarveMan, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  3. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

4. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Being able to get all the weekends you want in a club?
    Danielsan

benchives likes this.
  5. Mr. Miyagi

Mr. Miyagi Hard Yards

Good point, I'm not sure how'd they'd work. If we go down that path I'd be booking every weekend at the earliest opportunity.

6. Kieran

Kieran A Local

What if you're renting the apartment out during the week?

Rental income minus management fees minus cleaning.

Tax implications of that?

7. Mr. Miyagi

Mr. Miyagi Hard Yards

Yeah, could be some good news there. Unsure of returns, hence I've left it out.

8. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

You can also negative gear and claim travel expenses for inspection and maintenance.

You can use it when it suits you rather than having to compete with the market.

You can swap with other people in other resorts.

9. CarveMan

From talking to others who do the same you'll take the sting off the rates but that's about it.

Only buy a place up there if the cash is burning a hole in your pocket, or if you're comfortable with it being an investment in your lifestyle. Cos it sure as shit won't be a good investment overall!

10. Angus_McCrory

lel...... low hanging fruit for the ATO

Vermillion and piolet like this.
  11. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Is it funny, or sad, that the transfers cost basically double what parking does?

12. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

yep, everyone who tries to rip off the system should be low hanging

13. Angus_McCrory

Just stick to what you do best.... drive and Audi .... or whatever it is :thumbs:

14. CarveMan

I wonder how the ATO views ski properties owned by companies in the ski industry.....

piolet likes this.
  15. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Surely product testing, R&D, demo days, staff training will come into it??

LMB and CarveMan like this.
  16. CarveMan

@Mr. Miyagi there's one more option - season-long apartment rental. Though if you're strictly doing weekends and no midweeks then I don't think it would stack up.

17. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I would be surprised if you could book 12 weekends per year for 4 people into a club lodge, (unless you had one of those founding member sweetheart deals).

I know of one family that bought an apartment and kept their existing club membership. This allowed them try and book into the club during peak periods and rent their place out to maximize their return during this time, and book into their apartment when they couldn't get into the lodge.

As for buying/owning, you've forgotten power, which is if not much cost but gas (at least at Hotham) is >4 times as much as it is in Melbourne. If you have gas heating in your apartment a season bill of >$1,500 is not uncommon. As previously mentioned if you buy into a place with a pool or lifts, expect your body corp to be higher.

If you decide to rent your apartment out, you have to factor in the moron's that will rent and damage your property and if you are the type of person that will cope with that. Also factor in the extortion type commissions the on hill cleaning and management places will charge. Think ~18% management/letting fee and ~$300 cleaning and linen changeover.

The upside of ownership? You can leave all your stuff up there in a secure locker, so can make a quick getaway to the snow whenever you like and arrive at any time of the night,(providing you place is vacant). You also have a place you can access year round. The downside compared to a lodge is you miss out on all the social interaction with other members and your kids playing with other kids, (although sometimes this can be an upside).

The downside of lodge membership is availability of booking places. If that's the way you decide to go, ask current members before you jump in. Some lodge's have some questionable constitutions and founding members and their families get preference bookings at subsidised rates.

18. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

It is not an investment. You're paying for a recreational lifestyle which will cost whatever way you go . It will be expensive.

19. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Mate of mine had a unit in Jindy and during peak season he barely used it because that was when he could get best returns. He admits it was a lifestyle choice but he never got to use it when the snow was good. He did enjoy it during off peak and summer.

coolair likes this.
  20. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    we usually get enough income from a handful of midweek rentals to offset outgoings.Often we'll do one mid season weekend rental now that the two older kids aren't up as much and that always boosts the income as well (we're 3 br though) We do it ourselves via Stayz and airbnb (just started with that this year) and have a good relationship with a property manager who does our set up and cleaning after the stay and can help out if there are issues that we can't handle over the phone.

We typically only rent to families, although I did rent to a group of 30 somethings last season and they were very goo. I just told them the bond was $2K and it turned out I knew the boss of the guy who rented the place (young lawyer) so once I let him know that he knew he was being watched ;) So far, in 4 years of doing this, we've had no issues.

Over summer, just family and friends go up and we just ask them to pay for cleaning and a token fee for heat, light, power and internet.

So for us, whilst it's not a good "cash" investment, we basically stay there for "nothing" and have flexibility to come and go as we please, which was really the reason why we bought in the first place having been Lodge members for many years before that. We enjoy the lifestyle and the friendships both we and the kids make by being there every weekend. I doubt I would have ever met the 3 guys I just went to Alaska with if I wasn't doing the kid's seasonal programs. Trip of a lifetime for me. Can't wait to practice my new found back country avvy skills at Buller - shovel and probe at the ready...........ROFL

I think your budget might be light for 2br with a car space ??

gareth_oau and piolet like this.
  21. CarveMan

Low 300s might be a bit more realistic. Unless there are some of those hotel room conversions like Arlberg/Enzian still up.

22. Mr. Miyagi

Mr. Miyagi Hard Yards

Spot on, we'd be happy with a studio/1 bedder as the kids are only young :)

23. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Aargh more reason for two bedder!

LMB, Vermillion and piolet like this.
  24. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

mmm depends on the club and when you book. Some clubs have a member booking priority period. Some clubs do not have restrictions on how much you book - e.g. Schuss which was referenced in the OP.

25. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    look further into the future now or you're going to be paying in and out costs. Studio with 2 teenagers and a couple of their friends they want to bring up = shudder........

currawong likes this.
  26. wolly

wolly One of Us

buy a house at sawmill. just rates and a gate pass

27. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We have a apartment in Jindy and get good solid bookings up to mid August, we generally use it in one hit from mid August to mid-late September which suits use fine as August and early September are my favorite times there .By that stage its paid for itself for the year and Perisher really quietens down .
    Occasionally we use it in late July or early August for a week but we get about 6 weeks to make money as its a older style apartment. Once you start booking out the peak July periods, especially the school holidays your income is going to start dropping, although we do tend to get a few mon- fri bookings so theoretically you may be able to use it on the weekend and still get 5 day bookings.
    Our plan is slightly different than most as I want to go back to the similar lifestyle(minus the alcohol,with more money and less work) that I enjoyed for most of my 20s when I was based in ski resorts for the winter, and going for a skiing holiday for 2 weeks was never going to be enough, but that wont happen for a couple more years until its paid off.
    After saying that we had no intention of paying more than $200K and we purchased just after the GFC.
    If I was to do it at today's market prices I would probably seriously look at the caravan option or a lodge membership or maybe a studio apartment.
    If you do look at buying a apartment just make sure you get the right sort of loan to maximize your opportunities.

#27 WaitAwhile, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Mr. Miyagi and gareth_oau like this.
  28. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I think the fact you are doing all the sums on the different options says that you're probably better off holding off doing anything. Really, it's a lifestyle choice, like buying a boat, or a caravan and going away with that. In you're in it to make money, then you will probably be disappointed. Having taken that into account, if you decide you do want to head down this path, then look at the option that best-suits your individual situation, be that kids, transport, availability etc because the last thing you want after investing the time and money is to be unhappy, or to sit there and go man we could have done this or that better. If that means it's going to cost you more, then so be it. If that extra cost puts you over the edge, then consider another option, or just come to terms that it's probably not something you can afford. But usually it doesnt get to that, there's always somethng else you can sacrifice in order to get more skiing in :D

Mr. Miyagi likes this.
  29. djam

djam One of Us

keep in mind properties don't move fast, if you need to sell, it might take a couple
    of years. Properties we looked at were still on the market serval years later.

luvthabumps likes this.
  30. CarveMan

Agree ^^^

If you're going to buy something get whatever will serve you for 10-20 years. Don't think that you can easily sell and upgrade a few years down the track.

It's really a poor investment from every point of view apart from lifestyle, which IMO is great.