Camping for the 2019 season

silva

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
Same thing happened to a guy in a Toyota van during the week. Worked well for a couple of hours. The next time he tried the heater (meant to be a Chinese copy of a Planar) it pumped out an amazing amount of smoke, and appeared (smelt) to be flooding. As you say a low battery could be the problem.
I'm undecided; try a cheapie or shell out $1400 for a German brand

We have a 2kW Webasto in our caravan. Has done over 10 years of service without missing a beat (and it does not blow smoke or smell). This year we noticed that the heated air stream was not quite as hot as we remembered - booked it in for a service - back to being as new. I do not have any experience with the cheaper options but can certainly vouch for the brand name version (was one of the first installations in Australia and cost about $2000 installed 11 years ago - was the only SIDS approved free camping heating option for our caravan)

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
No offence to the lucky ones that get a good one, but China is China, they are shit at lots of stuff if they have no foreign party involved. If you cant tell the difference, I suggest working on your senses.

I sell a lot of stuff made in China, both by outside companies with Chinese partners, and straight Chinese companies, and there is a big difference between them, and again with stuff made in other countries. Its a justification to say they are great, not reality.

If you can afford a German one, it will be heaps better. If not, go the Chinese one, but it might need a bit of work, or sometimes they can actually be pretty good at sending another. And sometimes they do actually get it right.

Reactions: crackson

Piste Ant

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2017
Thanks Silva and Telecrag, I will take your advice and buy a Webasto Airtop 2000- dual outlet without a thermostat @ $1385.

Reactions: skull

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
apart from the color, same as mine for $169.
Have you rectified the smoke issue?

Did you just get it via ebay? I have been thinking about getting the van people to install one now as part of the build, it is just they will most likely not install the cheap knock offs.

I won't need a heater till next season now, so if I go down the path of retro-ing one in next year I will need to pay an installer. As I am not very handy and I don't have the tools to do it anyway

silva

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
Thanks Silva and Telecrag, I will take your advice and buy a Webasto Airtop 2000- dual outlet without a thermostat @ $1385.

I don't think you will regret it. If I was after something to keep warm for a couple of trips then I would go a ebay cheapy but for something you will use and rely on for many years the brand name ones really work well, are maintenance free (just run them once a month for half an hour and do not run on alpine diesel - mix in kero instead) and if installed correctly they are quiet and do not smell.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
We just bought a new tent on clearance. The Blackwolf TuffDome Twin at $599-
While The Boss won't do snow perhaps I can persuade her to come away if I can make it warm and comfortable.
The best solution might be to modify the new tent to use the wood stove from the tipi, we already have the wood stove after all.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
for half an hour and do not run on alpine diesel - mix in kero instead

So does this mean I would need to consider not connecting to main fuel as we’ll be running alpine diesel most of winter?

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Solve one problem and create 3 others. The joys of vehicle fitouts. Its why i suggested you try using the van without the heater and see if you still think you need it. After 3 years in my van i would not bother.

We are talking a few uncomfortable minutes when you first get out of bed. Its not that big an issue and for mine all the issues created by the addition of more stuff is more painful than those few uncomfortable minutes on cold mornings.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I wake up, fire it up, go back to bed for 20mins while it defrosts. I thought about the heaters many years ago, but never bothered.

silva

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
So does this mean I would need to consider not connecting to main fuel as we’ll be running alpine diesel most of winter?

If you are planning to connect to your vehicle fuel tank I would not bother - just use alpine diesel. It just makes it more important to run it once a month on high for half an our to prevent carbonisation build up in the combustion chamber. Even if you don't it is not a big deal - we have run on alpine diesel for 10 years and just had to service the unit ($250). Was told by the expert who did it that it would have gone another 10 years without needing doing if we did not use alpine diesel OR if we had actually made the effort to run it every month (we never got around to it).

Reactions: coolair

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
Have you rectified the smoke issue?

Did you just get it via ebay? I have been thinking about getting the van people to install one now as part of the build, it is just they will most likely not install the cheap knock offs.

I won't need a heater till next season now, so if I go down the path of retro-ing one in next year I will need to pay an installer. As I am not very handy and I don't have the tools to do it anyway
I will get a chance to pull the van out on the weekend, packed away in the garage now with the battery on charge, it would be worth it to get a price fitted up anyhow, a good fit up in a camper would take 3-6 hours .

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
Managed to pull the van out and test the heater,only heaps of smoke, I pulled it out and pulled it apart, the burning chambers where caked in diesel soot, cleaned it out and put it back in, fresh battery, it works again . I still believe the glow plug may have been wanting more power than the battery had, it now gives me a reason to upgrade the solar.
I also plan to run it on full power to try and prevent soot, If any one can remember the old kero house hold heater, run it on full and it runs clean, run low and soot/smoke builds up fast.
Just have to wait to next season to test it again.
After pulling it apart, they are very simple in design, quality was ok, not too much to go wrong, about 35 minutes to remove ,clean and replace.

Reactions: GS and skull

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Where's the nearest campground to perisher? Probably going first week of October. I know the campsites near thredbo, is there a good one near perisher?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Where's the nearest campground to perisher? Probably going first week of October. I know the campsites near thredbo, is there a good one near perisher?
Island bend is the one you want. If it is busy then you can camp in the field above the main site which is closer to the River and has a toilet block. It is not far from The Guthega Power station, Perisher and Guthega.

Reactions: GobrinIce

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
And Guthega will be closed. Sawpit Creek is another, but not free. You get facilities in return.

Thanks for suggestion, Sawpit camping costs $77 for family of four and unpowered site. That's pretty expensive camping, probably worth finding cheap cabin instead of that.

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Just be aware that there will be a couple of hundred kayakers camped at Island Bend the first weekend in October for the Snowy Race.

We're probably arriving sunday night so I assume that'll be okay.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Thanks for suggestion, Sawpit camping costs $77 for family of four and unpowered site. That's pretty expensive camping, probably worth finding cheap cabin instead of that.
It is more expensive than the Jindy parks but I guess you save in driving time/cost.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
It is more expensive than the Jindy parks but I guess you save in driving time/cost.
And a much nicer surrounding / environment.

$77 / 4 = $19.25 each, last time i enquired about a spot in the Snowline CP they wanted $25 for a one person tent spot. Was a while ago.

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
$77 / four is cheap.

I forgot snow prices!

I will put back arrival until Monday or Tuesday if we camp at Island Bend.

What are people's thoughts on the condition of the snow? Looks to be a bit of rain next weekend and some warmer temperatures next week. Is there hope? Choosing Perisher over Thredbo because of higher altitude, but is that overthinking it a bit? Perisher will cost roughly twice as much because it doesn't have the kids ski free deal that Thredbo runs.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I forgot snow prices!

I will put back arrival until Monday or Tuesday if we camp at Island Bend.

What are people's thoughts on the condition of the snow? Looks to be a bit of rain next weekend and some warmer temperatures next week. Is there hope? Choosing Perisher over Thredbo because of higher altitude, but is that overthinking it a bit? Perisher will cost roughly twice as much because it doesn't have the kids ski free deal that Thredbo runs.
Heaps of snow still at Perisher. When are you going? Pretty sure by long weekend only Front Valley and Mt P will be open.

cornice11

One of Us
Jun 16, 2018
cause it loses 50% of its terrain to the big melt

Am i missing something? I assume most years merritts antons and basin plus the snowmaking on high noon and supertrail stay open close to the end.

Most of that 50% is the stuff which melts out a day or two after a snow fall. No guarantees to be skiing it in august let alone october.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Am i missing something? I assume most years merritts antons and basin plus the snowmaking on high noon and supertrail stay open close to the end.

Most of that 50% is the stuff which melts out a day or two after a snow fall. No guarantees to be skiing it in august let alone october.
I find anything below 1750 or so absolute sludge . Especially the snowmaking snow.
So you basically have Antons and sponars. Karels and Basin.
Bit of merritts early.

Its nice though being in the village as the grass greens .

Whereas Perisher . Its still pretty decent on alot of aspects...

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Over eyre?
why?
Besides your Thredbo bias?
cause I already have access to Thredbo and don't want to pay for Perisher. My Thredbo Bias is only 2 years old, prior to that I was Perisher and grew up skiing at Perisher.

Reactions: nfip

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
cause I already have access to Thredbo and don't want to pay for Perisher. My Thredbo Bias is only 2 years old, prior to that I was Perisher and grew up skiing at Perisher.
yadda yadda.
they both have their pros n cons.
grew up skiing Perisher Smiggins , and just as much Thredbo on it day.
Tho back in late 70's early 80's Thredders really suffered down lower.... still does but snowmaking has relieved it somewhat.
Comes down to logistics.
what works for you.
The new age season pass has been the defining line. IMO.
I'm Perisher clubbie so Season pass and I'm locked in.
still love Thredbo, the Hill , the Village but just don't have the time or economics to get there these days.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass