Camping for the 2020 Season

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
D668AACE-C3DB-42F3-A1F3-9241A8D3F3BE.jpeg

Diggings local.

She certainly wasn't coming to raid your coffee stash.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Kiwi= every possum is a great garment.

Legit pist in NZ.

We used to spotlight them as kids
Went out to Skippers Canyon one night with my brother in law and another mate a few years ago. Had hand held spotties and mounted. Rabbits and possums out of control. We removed a few but would've have needed a nuke to get them all. Absolute pests and at plague proportions.

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
Couldn't find the thread on "swags" (might be merged into this one where the darche dirty dee is mentioned), anyways, recently grabbed myself a 23Zero Bandit 1400 ... it's basically like a dirty dee, but more head room at the tapered end, and importrantly you can open/close/control ALL outer doors/surfaces. Plus the end portals have double or triple flaps and gusetted, so you can control airflow and have airflow in heavy precip without issue.

Also comes with an optional fly... which isn't difficult to erect, and i reckon it keeps a lot of heat / dew / precip off, plus you could chuck stuff under it. Unsure how it'd go in decent wind, untested as yet

July-11-2020--1016.jpg
SpotK-Aug-2020--1005.jpg

IMG_1399-2.jpg
IMG_1401-2.jpg
IMG_1406-2.jpg
IMG_1407-2.jpg
IMG_1640.jpg
July-11-2020--1014.jpg

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
When does a swag stop being a swag and become a tent?

Twag? Swent?
Have seen many an argument about that on FB. Semantics really but amusing how frothy some blokes get over it.

I call it whatever the manufacturer calls it. To my mind, if you can roll your mattress and doona up with it, it's a swag.

Comfortable versatile & fast setup sleeping aparatus takes too long to say after a few rums.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
the swags dont need a tarp or fly @Moondog55 , have had dirty dee and 23-0 bandits in horrible rain without a drop getting in.

The 23Z set me back $450 which i thought was pretty decent value for a super-swag/twag/swent (quality 75mm HD foam in it too, which is ironically the most expensive part these days). They're built pretty well (a lot of complex stitching), decent canvass and good design

btw re "traditional" swags, can't go past these handmade, australian made (with the only australian canvass maker still existing) beauties. Got one for each kid. I want one but apparnetly we have enough "camping shit" in the house ??!?

They cost more than the super-swags :)

IMG_4053.JPG

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
I had a Candy Canvas [ Adelaide] swag years ago, super tough with a 40 ounce nylon/vinyl bottom, waterproof yes but I got wet every time I got out to get dressed, the only down side to swags. Great if I still had a truck or the old Ford Falcon ute

Reactions: Darb

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
I had a Candy Canvas [ Adelaide] swag years ago, super tough with a 40 ounce nylon/vinyl bottom, waterproof yes but I got wet every time I got out to get dressed, the only down side to swags. Great if I still had a truck or the old Ford Falcon ute

Ah yes i see what you mean. yeah any small sleepoing space is going to suck in inclement weather.

I tend to tuck swag next to vehicle awning if there's a "bit" of rain around, but if it's going to be constant rain then yep anything swag based is going to suck without some sort of extras.

We use an RV5 oztent with front room acting as a kitchen ... girls sleep in the RV5, myself and the boy have a queen super-swag each.

But man the setup is a pain in the arse and has me reaching for a caravan.

April-School-Hols-2019--1001.JPG

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Ah yes i see what you mean. yeah any small sleepoing space is going to suck in inclement weather.

I tend to tuck swag next to vehicle awning if there's a "bit" of rain around, but if it's going to be constant rain then yep anything swag based is going to suck without some sort of extras.

We use an RV5 oztent with front room acting as a kitchen ... girls sleep in the RV5, myself and the boy have a queen super-swag each.

But man the setup is a pain in the arse and has me reaching for a caravan.

April-School-Hols-2019--1001.JPG
Love the pic, The Modern Oz Camping Family At Play.

:):cool:

Reactions: Darb and Sage O

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
doesn’t show the stress. The stress I tell you of a 3 year maniac daughter who was firstly constipated and power spewing in between nuclear meltdowns for days , then the complete opposite of Constipation for the second half of trip.
Ahh kids, you can have em.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
the swags dont need a tarp or fly @Moondog55 , have had dirty dee and 23-0 bandits in horrible rain without a drop getting in.

The 23Z set me back $450 which i thought was pretty decent value for a super-swag/twag/swent (quality 75mm HD foam in it too, which is ironically the most expensive part these days). They're built pretty well (a lot of complex stitching), decent canvass and good design

btw re "traditional" swags, can't go past these handmade, australian made (with the only australian canvass maker still existing) beauties. Got one for each kid. I want one but apparnetly we have enough "camping shit" in the house ??!?

They cost more than the super-swags :)

IMG_4053.JPG

Was tempted to buy a canvas swag for sleeping in the backyard during this covid lockdown. We have a Southern Cross Canvas tent made locally so looked at their swags....crikey, they are *very* expensive! Beautifully made though with Aust canvas. Couldn't justify though.

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
Was tempted to buy a canvas swag for sleeping in the backyard during this covid lockdown. We have a Southern Cross Canvas tent made locally so looked at their swags....crikey, they are *very* expensive! Beautifully made though with Aust canvas. Couldn't justify though.

Yeh not cheap. A bit of Australiana though, I got these two for the sprogs as I feared the husband and wife team wouldn’t be around forever. Very nice swags and mattress, familiar bed for them at beach house sleepovers and such

infact I’ll be borrowing the daughters one this weekend at Sons scouts camp (inside tent, wet weekend forecast). Even has pink frozen doona rolled in! To go with the custom ladybirds we had sewed in (by Murchison)

plus they have a limited edition blue one tempting me

12A85F28-B2D5-45D5-ABF1-1FC1AB5D4C46.jpeg

Reactions: GS and Spence

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Twag? Swent?
Have seen many an argument about that on FB. Semantics really but amusing how frothy some blokes get over it.

I call it whatever the manufacturer calls it. To my mind, if you can roll your mattress and doona up with it, it's a swag.

Comfortable versatile & fast setup sleeping aparatus takes too long to say after a few rums.

'Swent' has a certain ring to it?

Twenty2Legs

First Runs
Dec 31, 2020
This is how I got hooked! Next thing you need a good tent, then a camper trailer, then a cheap van, then one with a shower - camping has been a part of my life ever since my father used to take me up into the Snowy Mountains with his mates a bloody long time ago. For mine, camping in the mountains, in whatever form, is an important part of living.

Evolution or Ageism? - started with sleeping bag n mozzie net on Fraser to tent to Kombi to Prado with RTT and now Coaster with full size oven, full size fridge, shower, toilet and diesel heater.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Lovely couple of days at the bend catching up with friends. Walked up kosi which was nice and took a dip at Spencer’s which was quite refreshing :p. Tomahawk for dinner as standard.

DCC3E708-CB48-4104-BD6C-D770859988A1.jpeg

0800C2E6-DC87-48E1-9401-45EDA0F6F8CD.jpeg
BB6E4587-6669-48CE-B65D-7358FA6A4A90.jpeg
4D57DF81-A8BB-4CC7-ACF7-4469A941A29E.jpeg
110D7D29-CBE5-4442-AE25-73F20D9BE081.jpeg
Great photos; envious! Will be down for a summer touch up in about 4 weeks. Cant wait!

Reactions: Sage O

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
I believe BOOKINGS are now a permanent thing in Kozi?. Bookings fees of $6 are becoming a nice revenue source and they are thinking about "site fees" as well after the Covid2020 season. My point to Rangers was that the daily $29 winter access fee included camping, so too the Annual Pass at $190. Hence, if they are going to charge for camping on a daily basis, they will have to reduce the daily access fee. This made their heads hurt.

Reactions: Chaeron and coolair

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
It’s only the booking fee. Not per day.

Everything was booked out a couple days ago. Including the backside of the mountain. Hence why we stayed at kossie park.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
It’s only the booking fee. Not per day.

Everything was booked out a couple days ago. Including the backside of the mountain. Hence why we stayed at kossie park.
Wow! That's busy. Guess it's that time of the year. During winter they only permitted perhaps 25% occupancy on sites due to Covid. $6 per booking is $nudda but their thoughts on site fees were worrying to say the least. Their logic: "They charge $40 a night for an unpowered tent site in Jindy!" I explained that the parks in Jindy provide daily cleaned toilets and showers with hot water, prime lake frontage real estate close to restaurants/shops etc, water, night security - and they pay rates, staff wages, GST and income taxes - oh and they had to pay for the land!. Reaction from the 3 rangers was a classic "Did somebody mention KFC ?????"

Reactions: coolair and Chaeron

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
During winter they only permitted perhaps
During winter I stayed at both ngarigo and diggings on various weekends. I booked early but they eventually booked out during august. Nearly always empty the weekends I was there. Either the numbers were super limited or people booked and no showed.

Reactions: Chaeron and Sage O

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Did you have to book for IB and was it busy?
Yeah I had a booking which I’d put in back in October. Rangers were out and checking if you had a booking then attaching a ticket to your caravan tent etc with your booking number and rego details etc. In terms of busyness I’d say it was at about 80% comfortable capacity. The lower section was very busy with pretty much every site occupied. The upper section was quieter though and I’d say there was about 60% occupancy.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I'd booked in at Island Bend from 4-13 January. Last year the park was closed two days before we were due to travel up from Melbourne due to the bushfires. This year the border has closed two days before we were due to leave Melbourne (tomorrow) to drive up via Cann River with the small caravan. Have I offended a spirit in the park? Next year it may be another locust plague? Though that didn't stop us one year. Just needed a flyscreen over the car's front grill to protect the radiator.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
So for NSW folks the Kosi NP and other camping grounds around the state will be more spacious due to the Vic's who have evacuated or can no longer visit NSW. Maybe I'll get to NSW in late July or early August if we're all vaccinated by then. Some friends got back from Thredbo yesterday so they have the 14 days of staying at home to serve out. They got the news about the border closing at 7pm on NYE but deemed it too risky to start start driving to beat the first deadline after a couple of drinks with dinner and with the Roos coming out to play.

Reactions: Chaeron

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
So for NSW folks the Kosi NP and other camping grounds around the state will be more spacious due to the Vic's who have evacuated or can no longer visit NSW. Maybe I'll get to NSW in late July or early August if we're all vaccinated by then. Some friends got back from Thredbo yesterday so they have the 14 days of staying at home to serve out. They got the news about the border closing at 7pm on NYE but deemed it too risky to start start driving to beat the first deadline after a couple of drinks with dinner and with the Roos coming out to play.

Bro - they only had to drive for about 40 minutes to cross the Murray at Tom Groggin.. Lots of ways through the scrub back into civilisation that way.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
So for NSW folks the Kosi NP and other camping grounds around the state will be more spacious due to the Vic's who have evacuated or can no longer visit NSW.
we were just in Dubbo the last few days. As soon as the Vic border announcement was made the place emptied by around 50%

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Bro - they only had to drive for about 40 minutes to cross the Murray at Tom Groggin.. Lots of ways through the scrub back into civilisation that way.
If it had been me and my family facing two weeks stuck at home during the school holidays, we'd have packed up pronto and found somewhere to have a sleep across the border then drive home the next day. But everybody needed to make their own choice. The notice was short. It's the people who drive for 15 hours straight to scramble from QLD back to Vic who were at high risk of a fatigue-related accident.
My friend spent a lot of today trying to get tested but the test stations are overwhelmed. They will try again tomorrow.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
we were just in Dubbo the last few days. As soon as the Vic border announcement was made the place emptied by around 50%
At the Eden Caravan Park the owner has said 95% of their customers were Vic's. From 3 30pm on Thursday, it was a mad rush of packing and leaving. Same thing happened last year with the fires. So if you are in NSW and want a quiet park stay in Eden that helps a business doing it tough...

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Trying to think of where we do go now instead of Kosciusko NP. Most camp spots are so busy in January. A reduced number site in Kosi was very attractive.
Ah well, ce la vie

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Stayed at a free camp just out of the Dubbo town centre in 2009 on a six week camping trip with our 4yr old twins. First night there it was my wife's 40th birthday (we had a pre-emptive party for her before we left on the trip). Instead of me cooking a steak dinner for her, I was running around dealing with torrential rain that was wetting through the new canvas camper trailer roof and walls and flooding the pullout kitchen.
Made it a memorable night. Next two days we enjoyed the zoo before heading north. Is hearing zoo animals from your place @Snow Blowey like getting a cheap trip to exotic places? When the huge flock of raucous corellas get going at our place I feel like I'm up at the Murray.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
DOn't hear much from my place. The saimang gibbons when the wind blows in the right direction is about it. But i hear these guys at golf most saturday mornings and i never get tired of it. Best animal at the zoo IMO.

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
It may be a rumour(but isn't), but nsw police save special postings like snow season for the newbies that annoy their lac.

We get the cops that even the cops don't want around.

Pursuit cars are different. They operate out of queanbeyan.

They're pretty cool and fair.

If she gets to return to her original posting after this deployment, then they like her. If they move her to another lac after this posting, then her initial lac used the special posting to get her out of their hair.

It's not nice, or right, or an honest upfront way you would expect law enforcement to treat their own, but it's what they do.

There is generally no sinister motive, it's just no one wants to be the bad guy and have the hard chat with them, so they move them on surreptitiously.

I don't even know what surreptitiously means so i'm just gonna use it and hope like hell it's right. Like titanal.

The hard chat isn't even that hard. It's basically, life isn't black and white. It's an infinite number of shades of grey. Stop rocking the boat with your black and white bs.

Not saying this is your relatives case, but it might be.
Returned to post.

Reactions: crackson
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass