1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Camping for the 2020 Season

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by skifree, Oct 7, 2019.

1. travelingmelis

travelingmelis First Runs

I spend july, august and september camping at mt beauty in a powered site on the kiewa river (50+ days over past few years each season) in a coleman 6 person instant up tent and also use a 10 person instant up tent- no problems with storms, tent has held up fine. I use foam square mats on the floor (from kmart or reject shop)and small electric fan heaters that you don't need on long to warm the tent up. I do have a -10 down sleeping bag and use stretchers with self inflating mats. I think tawonga would be fine. I have not camped at Jindy! I plan to do the same again over this winter . I have also camped in a 3 person smaller dome tent with yoga mat on ground, same sleep set up. Friends have also used the "eurobed inflatable set up" if you insulate it enough- mattress topper and woollen underlay with flannelette sheets and warm sleeping bags. the little 3 person tent is very toasty warm- have never put a heater on in that tent. you could use electric blankets as well if powered- I havn't needed them

Pottsy, crackson and skifree like this.
  2. coolair

coolair One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Just had a shake down trip to Devils hole in the Barrington tops NP .1400m elevation , 6 c gave a good chance to test the heater ,hot shower and other bits, also a good excuse to go camping.All set for island bend.

Attached Files:

3. crackson

crackson Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Just add 100km/h breeze.

coolair likes this.
  4. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Some lovely camping up there, we checked out Devils Hole but ended up at Manning River camp.

coolair likes this.
  5. coolair

Wouldn't recomend Devils hole, there wouldbe better sites around but I was after some lower temperatures
    To test out some new gear and modifications, 1400m asl helps, definitely byo fire wood, I could hear some
    Dickheads at another site nocking down trees, sure way a no open fires ban put in place like at Bungonia.

Majikthise likes this.
  6. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

what video, I cannot remember seeing it. Though I suffer CRAFT a bit more often now.

7. skull

had a session with the boys this weekend at Ngarigo. Got cool during the nigh. I had the wife's new fancy mont sleeping bag and was toasty warm.

The water in the pipes for the camper must have frozen up a bit. As when I tried to run the tap this morning I didn't get any flow. Only after the sun had been up a bit longer did I get water. I also went to Jayco and a few other places to get a diesel heater installed. Jayco wasn't keen, said they could do it but it would be expensive and would have to re-engineer the camper set up if they did it (so preferred to not do it at all). Another place said they could but wouldn't tap into the fuel tank and said there wasn't anywhere to fit an external tank for the heater, so again not keen as they mentioned it would be inside and stink the van out.

8. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Do you put the roof down to sleep? I would imagine the pop up roof is losing all your heat.

nezumi and crackson like this.
  9. skull

no I slept up in that section. There is a floor to pull down so you can have people sleep up there and on the rock and roll bed below.

When winter hits wit will be kids up the top and mum and dad down below.

10. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Maybe I saw it on his insta, not sure sorry. It was either a camping thread or there

11. bradster

bradster One of Us

Does people here open the windows a bit when sleeping in your vans to reduce condensation?

Or have I been freezing my back side off for nothing.

skifree and crackson like this.
  12. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

Generally a good idea for the condensation as a rule.

13. crackson

Yes, it's a must.

14. coolair

I always have the top vent just open, no condensation. But you do lose heat from convection, this is better
    Outcome.

15. coolair

Only time i can sme my heater running is if I have the door open and the wind is
    Blowing in that direction, and only at start up, when running it burns clean.
    2kw system is heaps for my small van, it does draw 2.5a to 4 amps while running.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  16. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

No, never in a gazillion years.

telecrag likes this.
  17. skull

where do you keep the fuel for it?

18. coolair

10l slimline tank on A frame.

19. skull

Inside the van or outside, got a photo?

20. coolair

mounted on draw bar.

21. skull

ahh outside.

That was the smell the installer was talking about, he said there isn't really anywhere adequate to mount outside so inside was the option and he said it would smell. As in the fuel canister being inside.

22. skull

Oh next thing for those with van camping experience

On Sunday it was below freezing, the water in the van must have frozen as it wouldn't run first thing in the morning. The guys that did the conversion got advice from who they source the tanks off and said they are hard and shouldn't need insulating. However as I noticed on Sunday water must have frozen, I am thinking maybe it was the pipes. Would it be as simple as some insulation tubing on the pipes under the van to stop that?

23. crackson

Most water pipes up here are fine once insulated.

24. coolair

Two seasons ago I came back to the aerator on the tap in the sink, pump humming and no water.
    The system had frozen during the day, I now when leaving/going to sleep turn the pump off, and open
    The tap to give expansion space, better than rupturing a water line. I also have additional water supply
    Incase the system does not thaw.
    Been looking at USA youtube clips on winterizing campers, unless the pipes are heated the system is drained and an alternitive source used.
    Looked at insulating all the pipework (i do this as part of myjob) and it was put in the too hard basket
    With no guarantee of sucess, so secondry supply it is.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  25. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

@skull is your spare wheel mounted on the back of the van or underneath? If it is rear mounted, the tank would probably fit inside the wheel or close to it - held in place by straps as you can see @coolair has done at the front.
    I currently have mine inside a storage panel, with absolutely no air-flow into the cabin of my van. Diesel is the sort of smell you can never get rid of and you can never fill a diesel heater tank without spilling a few drops. Furthermore, they have a small hole for airing in the caps, hence smell; not good.

skull likes this.
  26. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

The water tanks rarely freeze but pipes surely will and the chambers around and within the pump can also freeze depending on where it is. My water pumps was inside an insulated van, but I still had a couple of freezes, wrecking one pumps diaphragm (on/off pressure sensor) until I installed vents in the cupboard doors and open them occasionally. You have to release water pressure from the lines each evening before things start to freeze, otherwise the expanding water finds the weakest link - normally the joiners but even tap washers in metal taps (I've removed all of mine and replaced by PVC).
    A mate of mine spent a gazillion hours and a fair amount of money "insulating" every under-body pipe, join and anything else he could think of so they could enjoy a hot shower later in the night. Didn't work. You just have to get used to not having running water first thing or after a certain hour at night. I always have a 15 litre water container inside for such occasions. Timing water use becomes second nature after a while.

coolair likes this.
  27. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

Good Point, forgot that you have to turn the water pump OFF at night and every other time you are away from your van. The last thing you need is a drained water tank and a blown pump as well. Double aarrgghh!

28. skull

our pump is inside the van too.

No hot water on our rig, just cold. I turn the pump off at night too, just because I don't want any accidental leaks (when we picked it up a couple of clamps weren't tight and we had a couple of puddles)

The blokes that built it said just running the car for a few minutes first thing in the morning might be enough to unfreeze the pipes. Haven't tried that approach yet.

29. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

One of my guests who is an engineer suggested I use black hydraulic pipe and joiners for cold climates instead of the red/blue RV pipe as it is stronger. He was right. Wish I had of done that many years ago. I got my pipe from the Bearing Service Centre. More expensive, but after you have crawled through slushy, icy mud for the 3rd time repairing the same freezing fault, you don't mind paying a bit more!!

coolair and skull like this.
  30. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You will see that you vehicle will not heat up at idle. Takes a good 30 minutes of running at idle to start puting out heat. Worse thing about the transporter.

telecrag and skull like this.
  31. Goski

Goski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Hi Skull,
    What bike rack do you have? I have a heavy duty Kaymar swing out arm (not made any more) that I can put some older style racks onto but a 4 bike vertical rack like yours that swings out so I can open my pajero's door would be very nice. As would a similar camper though my two 15 yr olds are getting a bit big for sleeping up top weight-wise.

32. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Looks like a Shingleback

33. skull

Yep is a 6 bike shingleback with the shingleback swing arms

Very sturdy rack, swing arm is a real good addition. It can be a bit of a nuisance taking the rack on and off the bike between uses, so I just leave it on for now. Once mtb season is over I will remove it until the snow season is over.

Almost got in trouble off the poo poo in Berridale. Luckily I had my aux plate on but he said it needs to stick out past the actual bikes. So potentially hanging off the seats or tyres

crackson likes this.
  34. telecrag

surely the tech exists to get rid of number plates altogether.

35. skull

possibly.

No doubt but we are stuck with them for now

The copper mentioned that it was good I had the aux plate up, but in it's current position it wouldn't be picked up by a camera. Personally, I am fine with that.

skifree and telecrag like this.
  36. telecrag

yeah, the cop cars are continously scanning all the number plates they go past. Might as well have a chip built into the car IMO.

skifree and skull like this.
  37. Goski

At least you had an auxillary plate. Most I see don't have one or have just scribbled on a piece of cardboard and tired it on with string.

38. Goski

Thanks @skull . I'll look up the shingleback racks. Saw a few at the Mt Buller festivsl kast weekrnd but no swing arms. Definitely worth having the swing arm for rear opening doors

39. telecrag

Swing is an extra. I think they also work as a storage rack off the vehicle.

Goski likes this.
  40. Goski

I'll be looking for a 4WD van too @skull .

41. Goski

Great for the garage then. Doing double duty means not having to store the rack and very easy to load and unload the bikes.

42. skull

@Goski yeah the racks would be a good for storing bikes in garage etc. Have a look on their website and they have some other attachment for storing and moving around.

Unfortunately our garage isn't secure enough to be able to leave the bikes racked like that.

43. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I'm trying to remember seeing a Ford Transit van in the van collection, anyone using one or is there a reason the van for everyuseunderthesun is being shunned?

44. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

The transit van is, if I recall correctly, a notorious POS mechanically.

skifree likes this.
  45. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

coolair, whether, skull and 2 others like this.
  46. telecrag

Jen has one.

Untele-whippet and skifree like this.
  47. telecrag

In line with the NSW Government's announcement, all campers will be required to book online or via the NPWS contact centre (1300 072 757) prior to arrival for the foreseeable future in order to manage campground numbers.

We are working towards opening many campgrounds and accommodation from Monday 1 June and we expect to be opening the booking system in the next few days.

skull likes this.
  48. Jasper Schwarz

Jasper Schwarz One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

This is very good news. People who have stayed at Island bend before, what are the prices like. I have done almost no camping in the past and have very little experience with it, but am exploring accomodation options if lodges dont open up

49. skull

Just ordered some reimo liners to insulate the top. Won't arrive till late July though due to no air freight ATM. Due to my roof being different, it won't be a perfect fit but the blokes said it is pretty close.

Link shows the type of liners.

https://shop.reimo.com.au/camping-s...-for-folding-roofs-vw-t5/6-easyfit-front-high

Goski and Snow Blowey like this.
  50. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

Prices are very good; particularly if you already have the Annual National Parks Pass; like zero. It may be different this year as they manage through Covid19 issues, though the only real dangers I see are toilets. As it happens, Kozi Nat Park has always been ahead of the pack with alcohol-based hand sanitiser at every toilet for many years now. It's not like people camp within 1.5m of your spot! There are no showers or camp kitchens or any other common surfaces that would potentially harbour a Coronavirus, so one of the safest places on the planet I suspect? Friday night "Weekend warriors" are the biggest issue, many turning up half blind thinking it will be fine to sleep in the car if they drink enough vodka and chop down enough trees for firewood before they pass out or the music stops as the battery in their vehicle goes flat (this is worst case I might add).
    Otherwise, it's important to keep it quiet about winter camping in Kozi; it is largely very isolated, quiet and peaceful. Too much love though and it will get ruined, if you know what I mean?

Reginald, mauricem, coolair and 2 others like this.