1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Camping for the 2020 Season

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by skifree, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

There was a bloke camped near me all season near PV hut, but he was an Aussie. There is a spot near the village that has been bivvied in a few times illegally but never enough snow to dig a cave that I know of
    I loaned/gave him my spare tent wands after his tent collapsed in a heap after a huge dump. He disappeared before I got back But I did clean up all the stuff he left behind. I did visit his web page a time or two but not since. I have no idea what happened to him. One thing tho; he wouldn't share food as he was Vegan and I am about as far from Vegan as it is possible to get

crackson and Goski like this.
  2. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Site bookings are now available for Kozi National Park for those interested. The Website has been updated and whilst camping used to be included in the $29 vehicle pass, it now costs $6 to make a booking with a maximum of 7 nights. You can make more than one booking and whilst Covid19 conditions prevail, you can book two sites. I'm not sure why, but suspect that it is to allow friends or family to be close by - as long as social distancing regulations are not broken of course!!!
    If you like to randomly camp overnight or longer at Diggings or Ngiaro, there are maximum site bookings for each camp area, so don't be shy. Even the vast camping areas of Island Bend has a maximum of 30 site bookings, which I'd estimate to be about 50%.
    It doesn't look like the Parkies are trying to make it hard for winter campers, so don't be harsh, rather complying with their own internal regulations.

3. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

well that should cover the cost of regular cleaning and plans for updating the camping areas

coolair likes this.
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

What about snow camping at Horse camp hut in August?

5. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Cheers for the heads up, booked in :thumbs:

coolair likes this.
  6. coolair

coolair One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The rig is ready , every thing checked,cleaned ,greased, site booked, just need Perisher to sort the tickets out, my daughter and me are itching to get down there.

Peli89, JM72, whether and 6 others like this.
  7. Jacko4650

Yes, also waiting to see what happens with perisher tickets before committing, so have left a few jobs for the camp setup to keep me busy if we get the green light for a "Go". Full time Managers I had in place for the past 10 weeks up and quit on the spot the other day, so now have to find suitable replacements. The stars are not quite aligning this year, but who knows what will eventuate?

8. northsail

northsail One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Booked a site Island Bend for second week July school holidays. Will make a final decision based on snow and lift ticket prices/availability.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  9. northsail

Noticed that all weekends in July and August booked out. Interesting to see how it will be managed by Parks.

10. Jacko4650

Already! Bugger.
    This is what also happens to the caravan parks in Jindy - they book out Fri and/or Sat nights and sit half empty for the other 5 nights so you can never book a holiday for a week or two. Very frustrating when you are standing there looking at lots of empty sites and they tell you they can't make a weekly booking. Hello, I'd like to make a booking worth $5000 over a longer period? No, sorry sir, our computer won't permit that. Why, your'e nearly empty? Because it is booked out for one of those nights (for $50). This is why many people like myself have always gravitated to the flexibility of National Park camping. Things are now changing, making it harder also - bloody Coronavirus!

snowgum, Snowy Joey and coolair like this.
  11. northsail

$6 to make the booking for up to 7 day stay.
    Things may change in the next month and they relax camping rules in National Park.

12. Jacko4650

Yes. The booking fee is fair and I have no issue with booking, whether it be for contact tracing during Covid19, Covid20 or simply to measure the pressure on resources like toilets, frequency of pumpouts etc. There are practically no days each season where Island Bend runs out of camp sites (Splitfest the one exception perhaps) so the current limit on 30 is "pluck a number" kinda management I reckon. $6 for a week, also means people will book even if they might not make it, so there may well be incredibly under-utilised facilities from time to time, yet nobody else is allowed to camp because the computer says it is booked out. Nobody is to blame and I trust the Parkies will use this pragmatically to better manage the park's camping in years to come? Remember, if there is a blizzard and you planned on camping in a transit van or a cheap tent, fair chance you might give it a miss!

13. northsail

I remember last year July school holidays and a week in August very few camping. I reckon about 10% to 30% capacity.
    A good blizzard does keep the unprepared away. So as you say may only be a few registered campers on a bad weather weekend. I hope they have the decency to cancel their booking if that is the case.
    Not sure how parks will stop the overnighters. They rock in after dark and leave early.

14. skull

Ahh bugger. Already?

Jacko4650 likes this.
  15. Jacko4650

I have suggested to Parkies a few times that if they are interested in curbing inappropriate behaviour (anti-social, environmental destruction, stupidity) they should do patrols on Friday and Saturday nights rather than mid arvo Mon-Fri. Donuts on the airstrip at Island Bend was a regular Friday night activity, despite signs saying "Please keep off this airstrip in the event of emergencies?" Of course, Parkies always agree as that would mean penalty rates, but they are Parkies for the lifestyle not the income stream, so those nights tend to eat into their own chillout nights and wages budgets are not particularly flexible I hear.

cornice11, POW_hungry and coolair like this.
  16. coolair

I had 2 weeks booked in early July that i can't make,rang Npws and canceled to putthem back in
    The pool,they even refund the booking fee.

17. northsail

This information supplied on my booking information from National Park.
    "Anti-social and illegal behaviour:
    Overwhelmingly, visitors to national parks act responsibly and respectfully. Unfortunately, on occasion some visitor behaviour may be unsafe or illegal.
    If you witness anti-social behaviour or contravention of the Covid guidelines, please gather evidence and contact the local police via the police assistance line on 131 444"

skull likes this.
  18. skull

I’ll be site booking roughly 5 minutes after booking my dates next week. If I cannot get into ngarigo or diggings then I’ll have to figure out a contingency.

Maybe some dodgy stealth camping in the overnight parking or even in jindy. Hopefully have our new wheels with snow tyres on so might venture to some other spots I’ve been to nervous to get too.

19. northsail

Ah! House on wheels. You have so many options for stealth camping.

skull likes this.
  20. teleroo

teleroo still looking for Thredbo in the Park Ski Pass: Gold

Fun night out camping in northern Kosciusko. Mt Tantangara vicinity. Still patches of snow around up above 1500 m on SE facing slopes.

Chaeron, Peli89, Jacko4650 and 11 others like this.
  21. Snowy Joey

Snowy Joey One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This was definitely not going to be an easy year to get a camp site. It was one of the things i had feared they would put restrictions on. Aside from finding out about our passes and how much we're going to get to ski this year!

Mister Tee on XC Skis and skull like this.
  22. skull

Probably be a bit easier to get a site from the caravan parks in j town. I think a lot of the regulars might not be down.

23. skull

was that just Island Bend? as I just jumped online and booked our weekends at Ngarigo in August and September not problem.

Hopefully I get lift tickets for the days we have booked

skifree likes this.
  24. northsail

Yep. Just island bend.
    You can check availability at all camp areas.:thumbs:

skull likes this.
  25. skull

just did, all others are looking ok ATM

#225 skull, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    northsail likes this.
  26. northsail

I just booked a week in August at Island Bend. Hope to get lift tickets. Will just cancel if i miss out on lift tickets.

skull likes this.
  27. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am planning to tow a sleddy thing from Guthega Power station car park to Horse camp Hut and snow camp there and XC ski tour out towards White's river hut and the Schlink hut in Mid August . AFAIK NPWS do not require a permit /booking for BC camping in the KNP. You simply have to fill in an intentions form at Khancoban or Jindabyne.

28. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You can do the intentions form online I think.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  29. skull

GS and skifree like this.
  30. Jacko4650

As long as you don't want to leave a vehicle overnight while you are up in the whoop? Vehicle = camping = problem now that you have to book. Vehicles are the trigger, not tents, caravans or tents. Mind you, there are rules and there is compliance and than can be mutually exclusive with some agencies. KNP Parkies have always been pragmatic, so one assumes they are understanding of the current 'difficulties'? In our paranoid Qld, we are heavily scrutinised as a commercial camping facility but the free camping areas have absolutely no impositions whatsoever.

31. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I will call the NPWS next month and ask but usually leaving your car at Guthega Power station car park and going off on an overnight ski tour or a multi night bush walk is just fine. As long as you have your KNP car pass clearly visible on the dash board.

crackson likes this.
  32. Jacko4650

I just realised I was going to say that we would be happy to look after your vehicle at Island Bend while you do your trip - and then I went on a tangent about vehicles and booking requirements. As long as you have the KNP pass for you vehicle, offer still stands and we would love to hear about your exploits!

33. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

There is an overnight NPWS car park at Guthega Power Station for BC tourers heading up Whites River.
    I’d imagine you’d just need a trip intention form and parking ticket.

34. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

35. skull

gee island bend must get pretty crowded over the season

pretty much booked out completely

36. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It's not really surprising - after all, it's such a small site that it's difficult to adequately socially distance there. :rolleyes:

coolair and skull like this.
  37. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Over 1/2 of Island Bend area was closed due to concerns about waste and maybe asbestos from the old village. So the current capacity is well down on what it could hold. So to some extent it should not be crowded compared to what it could be.

Chaeron, coolair and skull like this.
  38. skull

I will most likely never camp there unless I start going to Perisher again. I found Diggings and Ngarigo to be pretty chill. I think the only real noice we had were people coming in late and setting up.

coolair likes this.
  39. Jacko4650

Just had a call from a ranger about my booking, so they have realised things are booking out, despite the facts that there have rarely ever been crowds with the large camping areas in years past - even after they closed large patches off for asbestos. Having to book sites may seem like a good idea, but it is now applying a whole new layer of bureaucracy that they probably didn't want. There will be troubles and disputes this year for sure.

40. skull

I am interested to see how they will police it. When we arrive the ranger hut is shut and that is fairly early in the evening. A lot of people arrive up at midnight or beyond, camp, get up first thing and head to the hill.

ecowain and skifree like this.
  41. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am giving Island Bend a miss this year. It was almost deserted when I camped there in September in 2019.
    I will Nordic ski at Perisher in 2021 and camp at I.B. then in August 2021.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  42. Jacko4650

Thredbo Diggings is a very popular camping area, yet there were no booked out weekends even during August, so I'm not sure what is going on? If the Rangers acknowledge first season hiccups, I'm sure winter camping will be as pleasurable as it usually is but if they think a new system will be known and adhered to by all of the regulars and ad-hocs alike, trouble will brew for sure.

43. Newsteve

Newsteve Early Days

I have a sneaky suspicion that the booking site only knows about 1 site.

44. skull

I never found it got crowded during the season though.

There were a couple of nights when the way people parked their cars made it seem packed but the camping sites were still a plenty.

45. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This palaver makes Vic snow tours seem very simple by comparison, notwithstanding additional pressure from increased Viccos giving AT a go for the first time?

Apologies in advance if anyone has already stated this: does anyone know if there’s likely to be any restriction camping up high near the main range in the main BC season: August into early October?

If I’ve read this correctly, the main problem with a high level tour will be:
    1) Finding an Overnight car park at Thredbo; &
    2) Finding a half decent camp site in the NP immediately before/after the tour.

And not the tour per se? Probably midweek in Sept.

Thanks in advance for any tips for this Vicco.
    :thumbs:

46. coolair

Just had an article come in via a facebook site, June long weekend Police carried out RBT and camping permit checks
    at Barrington tops NP. I was there in April and it was free for all, no permits. I dont know how to link the
    article. Wouldn't be surprised if we see this at the main Snowy camp sites this year.

47. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Surely you could find a campsite at Geehi flat after completing the KNP BC ski trip ?.If contact sports with stadium audiences are proposed being permitted in July then camping on your own or with a friend in a quiet snowy spot in the KNP cannot pose a public health risk !

coolair likes this.
  48. Jacko4650

That's very interesting. I'm no legal eagle, but whilst Police can "ask" about camping permits, I doubt they have any enforcement jurisdiction? They cannot ask you to move on from your camp if you have been consuming alcohol either. Even Rangers would be stepping into a very murky place if they asked you to move on, perhaps by fining you, if you have been on the piff.

coolair likes this.
  49. teleroo

teleroo still looking for Thredbo in the Park Ski Pass: Gold

Brekky in da bush

malas1, coolair, northsail and 7 others like this.
  50. Sean Sunley

Sean Sunley One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

What is the fire damage like in the Tantangara area?