Camping for the 2021 Season

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Parks website now allows changes to bookings online. Might help with campsites showing full online with no shows.

I had 3 days booked next week but with the forecast have moved it to a weekend in June. No extra charges and easy online. Win!

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016
Parks website now allows changes to bookings online. Might help with campsites showing full online with no shows.

I had 3 days booked next week but with the forecast have moved it to a weekend in June. No extra charges and easy online. Win!

This should have been implemented at the beginning, I’ve booked both a site in early winter last year and summer at blowering which I didn’t end up using as I had alternate accomodation. But being able to change it free’s up spots and you haven’t wasted the booking fee either.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
This should have been implemented at the beginning, I’ve booked both a site in early winter last year and summer at blowering which I didn’t end up using as I had alternate accomodation. But being able to change it free’s up spots and you haven’t wasted the booking fee either.
True. But in their defence it was all unexpected and rushed. It’s easy now.

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Once you’ve got yours in could you pop down to Canberra and put one in my van please?
I was just thinking @skull would it be possible to resolve you auxiliary fuel tank issue by using a tow bar hitch mount like this one for a winch on the back of your transporter? You could take it off in summer to mount your bike rack. Once your van is out of warranty you could just tap the vehicles fuel tank and ditch the aux tank. Just a thought :)

734966B2-18E6-441C-9149-5AA72DBC5DDF.jpeg

Reactions: skull

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
I was just thinking @skull would it be possible to resolve you auxiliary fuel tank issue by using a tow bar hitch mount like this one for a winch on the back of your transporter? You could take it off in summer to mount your bike rack. Once your van is out of warranty you could just tap the vehicles fuel tank and ditch the aux tank. Just a thought :)

734966B2-18E6-441C-9149-5AA72DBC5DDF.jpeg
oh genius. That is a great suggestion.

Reactions: Sage O

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
I'm booked for every Saturday in July. Current set up is an annex tent (cant be bothered with the swag anymore, packup is painful).
I was looking at getting a good quality 10cm inflatable mattress like the monstamat, although at $300 I'm a decent way towards a rooftop tent. Has anyone used a rooftop tent camping at the snow who can comment on whether it's warm enough and makes things simpler?

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
I'm booked for every Saturday in July. Current set up is an annex tent (cant be bothered with the swag anymore, packup is painful).
I was looking at getting a good quality 10cm inflatable mattress like the monstamat, although at $300 I'm a decent way towards a rooftop tent. Has anyone used a rooftop tent camping at the snow who can comment on whether it's warm enough and makes things simpler?
Can't comment on the rooftop tent, but the zempire monstamat is so warm and comfy, can even be used as a guest bed at home too.

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Have seen a few people using the Kings ones but have wondered how they would go with strong gusts.

Reactions: Ozgirl

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
Final shakedown trip this coming weekend to Coramba, should get cold enough
To test the heater, not that inside the avan will be cold, +1 wife 1 daughter, 1 daschound & me.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Have seen a few people using the Kings ones but have wondered how they would go with strong gusts.
Used one on the top of mt selwyn in victoria a few years ago this week (so easter)

Bloody cold night and windy and shaky on the roof.

And remeber you have to pack up before leave for the day. Definitely annoying if staying in one place more than one night.

I didn't mind it in some ways, annoying in others.

IMG_20170415_1654597.jpg

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW

Not easy to take on and off. Need somewhere to store it if not on the roof. Need to drive a car with 80kg on the roof all the time if you don't want to take it off. Poor handling. Will make your vehicle fuel economy up the shit if you eave it on the roof all the time.

Thats where i got to with them.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Not easy to take on and off. Need somewhere to store it if not on the roof. Need to drive a car with 80kg on the roof all the time if you don't want to take it off. Poor handling. Will make your vehicle fuel economy up the shit if you eave it on the roof all the time.

Thats where i got to with them.
That's what I thought. On the other hand I'm driving up every weekend this season and value comfort. My car does nothing during the week at the moment. If I can find one cheap it's worth a go if it's comfortable.
I'm guessing I may need to put in a decently warm matress in any case.

sn0wbunny29

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 11, 2015
Sydney
Also consider if you are going off road as the weight you can safely carry on your roof declines quite considerably.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
windy and shaky on the roof.

This

For many year I slept in the tray of a single cab ute that had a canvas canopy. Was warm enough and very comfortable, but it did rock around when exposed to high winds. I can't imagine getting a wink of sleep in the roof top tents in similar conditions.... especially on a vehicle with softer suspension than my old leaf sprung ute.

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
New s2s base camp BC2 double sleeping bag finally arrived after being on back order for about 5 months :zzz:
Is only rated to -1 but needed something to use in the van in warmer weather. Was pleasantly surprised with how roomy it is.

The top separates from the bottom and can be used as a quilt so I think it should offer a good amount of flexibility. If we get too cold can always turn on the diesel heater.... or cuddle for warmth LOL

BC2 double.JPG

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
New s2s base camp BC2 double sleeping bag finally arrived after being on back order for about 5 months :zzz:
Is only rated to -1 but needed something to use in the van in warmer weather. Was pleasantly surprised with how roomy it is.

The top separates from the bottom and can be used as a quilt so I think it should offer a good amount of flexibility. If we get too cold can always turn on the diesel heater.... or cuddle for warmth LOL

BC2 double.JPG
Does that have a built in matress? Kind of looks like it in pic.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
I have found one on gumtree at the right price and will give it a try. Probably do a test run in May to see if it's warm enough without an additional matress.
Pray for me...
Suggest you try it out on a less-windy night? Less stress = more betterer sleep. Last year was the least snowy and least windy year EVER at Island Bend, meaning this winter is more likely to be more wintery (Based on highly scientific guess!). You have been warned.
You can PM me for some of the more betterer spots at I.B. in a blow; two in the lower camp, a couple more in the upper camp and absolutely none in the middle camp (just don't go there if there is so much as a breeze).

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
Gods country, Martinsville
Suggest you try it out on a less-windy night? Less stress = more betterer sleep. Last year was the least snowy and least windy year EVER at Island Bend, meaning this winter is more likely to be more wintery (Based on highly scientific guess!). You have been warned.
You can PM me for some of the more betterer spots at I.B. in a blow; two in the lower camp, a couple more in the upper camp and absolutely none in the middle camp (just don't go there if there is so much as a breeze).
No spots in the lower camp. Stay up high.:whistle::cool:

Reactions: Jacko4650

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Is the lower camp accessible in winter? Road doesn’t get muddy?

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Is the lower camp accessible in winter? Road doesn’t get muddy?
Mud not so much an issue but snow and ice can be mid winter. 4WD highly recommended for getting out in any weather, though easy enough in any 2wd on a good day. If you are flexible enough to hang around for an extra day or two in bad weather if it turns bad (eg: deep snow, ice), any vehicle would be fine.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Mud not so much an issue but snow and ice can be mid winter. 4WD highly recommended for getting out in any weather, though easy enough in any 2wd on a good day. If you are flexible enough to hang around for an extra day or two in bad weather if it turns bad (eg: deep snow, ice), any vehicle would be fine.
Will likely stay up top. Have been trying different spots over summer.

Reactions: skifree

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
Final shakedown trip this coming weekend to Coramba, should get cold enough
To test the heater, not that inside the avan will be cold, +1 wife 1 daughter, 1 daschound & me.
Shake down trip went well, found a water leak on main tank better to fix at home than in the sub zero mush.
Just hanging out to get to the snow in a few weeks.

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
As I am not weight restricted and take my Avan bush snow camping I decided to build a portable fire pit from an old gas bottle, get bored of an afternoon and have to do something to kill the time to the snow trips start.
This is MK1. Still needs some refinement but does burn wood conservatively . Definitely not buying a cheep Chinese one.

Attachments

• 83575532-0526-4B60-836B-4E018148366F.jpeg
    83575532-0526-4B60-836B-4E018148366F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
As I am not weight restricted and take my Avan bush snow camping I decided to build a portable fire pit from an old gas bottle, get bored of an afternoon and have to do something to kill the time to the snow trips start.
This is MK1. Still needs some refinement but does burn wood conservatively . Definitely not buying a cheep Chinese one.
Look up Rocket Stoves made from 9kg gas bottles; very interesting. Friends at Nimbin have one and it burns phenomenally (like a rocket!!!!) and requires bugger all fuel. Been meaning to build one myself.

Reactions: coolair

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Pro tip, make extra sure the cylinder is empty, like real empty, before hitting it with the angle grinder.

Or not!

Reactions: fenrir

iagreewithhim

Blessed are the bignoses
Ski Pass
Sep 3, 2001
A very long way from everybody
Come late July I plan to hitch up the camper trailer, tow it across the Nullarbor and set up at Island Bend, camp there for all of August (with maybe a week at Thredbo Diggings if the rangers kick me out of IB), ski every weekday and work weekends. Our new camper trailer is due to arrive while I'm away. I might even put the old one up for sale while I'm there, to save me towing it back across the country.
:woohoo::woohoo:
Could be a long three months...

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Come late July I plan to hitch up the camper trailer, tow it across the Nullarbor and set up at Island Bend, camp there for all of August (with maybe a week at Thredbo Diggings if the rangers kick me out of IB), ski every weekday and work weekends. Our new camper trailer is due to arrive while I'm away. I might even put the old one up for sale while I'm there, to save me towing it back across the country.
:woohoo::woohoo:
Could be a long three months...
Check the reservation page on the Parks website...max 7 nights per booking, max stay 14 nights. For 14 nights, you'll need 2 bookings. And book ahead, it will book out. You can only book 90 days out, I've been booking every weekend as they become available.

Rangers have been checking over summer.

Also re working - you know there's no/limited mobile reception if internet is required?

Reactions: Belly and skifree

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Check the reservation page on the Parks website...max 7 nights per booking, max stay 14 nights. For 14 nights, you'll need 2 bookings. And book ahead, it will book out. You can only book 90 days out, I've been booking every weekend as they become available.

Rangers have been checking over summer.

Also re working - you know there's no/limited mobile reception if internet is required?
Is that 14 days a limit per person per year? I've been booking Saturday nights only as I don't like the idea of driving up to island bend on a Friday night after work but was considering trying it in September when the weather should be a little less dicey.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
As i understood it, it was 14 days max in a row to stop people staying indefinitely.
Yeah that's how it reads to me. I've got 15 days over 7 weekends booked so far, plus the days I have already stayed over summer.

Balsta

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 11, 2012
I have been booking my mid-week trips well in advance, planning to do 3 nights every second week. So far availability hasn’t been an issue, although I suspect once the ski season is upon us bookings will pick up and a lot of weekends & school holidays will fill up.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Interestingly they allow 6 people per booked campsite but only allow 1 vehicle.
I tried to include another vehicle but got an email saying it was fine for the 3 people to stay but 1 vehicle would have to been left parked at a designated NP carpark elsewhere.
Not at all practical and the ranger who came around checking in the morning knew nothing about the 1 vehicle rule!

QGh4NvFjz2ULX-pH70a63gCkVs1ryPv40DufBABP6rH_XFf1a8-Bu70I7IYURZ_EI4JMxLC5mzJl15watgUMXyNSOO3lJKjjNZY50_dIFJeAPnrNO9snL5Sb5G2qvYBbWdgrgrnEIreTGWXCUAxXRP0h1aDTRc5DFgxn=s0-d-e1-ft

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately you are only able to have one vehicle per site.

However, there is additional parking available at Kosciusko National Park where you will be able to park your additional vehicles.

If you would like any further information regarding parking at Kosciusko National Park, please see the link below:
https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/kosciuszko-national-park/visitor-info

If you have any questions or concerns please visit our website or contact us on 13000 72757 (13000 PARKS).

Kind regards

Bronte

National Parks Contact Centre

Visitor Experience Branch

National Parks and Wildlife Service

Ph: 13000PARKS (1300072757)

Reactions: skifree

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Interestingly they allow 6 people per booked campsite but only allow 1 vehicle.
I tried to include another vehicle but got an email saying it was fine for the 3 people to stay but 1 vehicle would have to been left parked at a designated NP carpark elsewhere.
Not at all practical and the ranger who came around checking in the morning knew nothing about the 1 vehicle rule!

QGh4NvFjz2ULX-pH70a63gCkVs1ryPv40DufBABP6rH_XFf1a8-Bu70I7IYURZ_EI4JMxLC5mzJl15watgUMXyNSOO3lJKjjNZY50_dIFJeAPnrNO9snL5Sb5G2qvYBbWdgrgrnEIreTGWXCUAxXRP0h1aDTRc5DFgxn=s0-d-e1-ft

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately you are only able to have one vehicle per site.

However, there is additional parking available at Kosciusko National Park where you will be able to park your additional vehicles.

If you would like any further information regarding parking at Kosciusko National Park, please see the link below:
https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/kosciuszko-national-park/visitor-info

If you have any questions or concerns please visit our website or contact us on 13000 72757 (13000 PARKS).

Kind regards

Bronte

National Parks Contact Centre

Visitor Experience Branch

National Parks and Wildlife Service

Ph: 13000PARKS (1300072757)
Book 2 sites? With 6 people and extra cars there's going to be a number of tents, so really more than a single site.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Aww crap. I sold my swag to my mate because I didn't want to carry the bloody thing in the back of my car.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Book 2 sites? With 6 people and extra cars there's going to be a number of tents, so really more than a single site.
There were only 3 of us, vehicles arriving at different times.
We did manage to book 2 sites because luckily there was an extra site available but that will be impossible come the ski season.
I thought the booking system was introduced to ensure social distancing and eliminate overcrowding because of Covid.

Balsta

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 11, 2012
I thought the booking system was introduced to ensure social distancing and eliminate overcrowding because of Covid.

It was, but with all the issues around accommodation shortages plus the explosion of the vanlifer, I’d imagine things will be a lot busier this year than in previous years (Happy to be wrong on that).

Moving forward I won’t be surprised if NP introduce more stringent booking conditions, at least for the more popular locations.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
It was, but with all the issues around accommodation shortages plus the explosion of the vanlifer, I’d imagine things will be a lot busier this year than in previous years (Happy to be wrong on that).

Moving forward I won’t be surprised if NP introduce more stringent booking conditions, at least for the more popular locations.
That makes sense.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
There were only 3 of us, vehicles arriving at different times.
We did manage to book 2 sites because luckily there was an extra site available but that will be impossible come the ski season.
There was very little crowding on the Guthega side of the mountain until they introduced the Bookings system (yes, to prevent Covid19 overcrowding!!!). Regarding the 1 car rule - their official response and their practical responses are prolly going to be worlds apart.
These days you must make rules for the Ferals (ie: the lowest common denominator). They are there for the exceptions rather than the rule. Problem being the ferals don't read the rules anyway, so it just makes it harder for the good ones who mostly do and treat them as gospel.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass