Camping for the 2021 Season

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
If i were a grey nomad with time on my hands i'd love to try one of the heat coil on the fire hot water systems coupled with a large outdoor bathtub. Once had visions of doing this at the diggings but would imagine it would take several hours to get it working.
I’ve thought about it too, would be next level premium serenity :love:

Just need to put it on a box trailer
F30928F7-A5AD-40E5-84BD-C1D6A252767B.jpeg

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Thats a bit plush. I was just thinking a copper coil to throw over the fire with both open ends in the tub.

IBC with the top cut out of it. Not insulated sides though so would take a big fire to keep the heat up to it.

Reactions: Sage O

Sweefu

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 22, 2019
Great thread!

I'll be camping quite a bit this season, does anyone know if Telstra gets reception at Island Bend? Wondering if it's feasible to reply to a few work emails etc.

Cheers all, looking forward to meeting some of you guys out camping this season.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Great thread!

I'll be camping quite a bit this season, does anyone know if Telstra gets reception at Island Bend? Wondering if it's feasible to reply to a few work emails etc.

Cheers all, looking forward to meeting some of you guys out camping this season.
Don’t count on it. You might get occasional connection in some spots. Nothing in others.

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Great thread!

You’ll be lucky to get a way a text message most of the time. Phone reception is fairly well non existent.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
As I am not weight restricted and take my Avan bush snow camping I decided to build a portable fire pit from an old gas bottle, get bored of an afternoon and have to do something to kill the time to the snow trips start.
This is MK1. Still needs some refinement but does burn wood conservatively . Definitely not buying a cheep Chinese one.
Now up to mk6, finaly satisfied with operation, successfully cooked some sausages
In a cast iron fry pan on top, contains ash well, minimal ground cover damage if any, can be peged to the ground for
Additional
20210514_171148.jpg
Stability, removable chimney is great for taosting marshmallows and deflecting smoke.All set for the season opening.

Podlet

Old n' Crusty
May 28, 2000
Jindabyne
Are they installing a car wash as part of the bp overhaul? If so problem solved.

Doesn't look like a car wash, but the jindy chamber of commerce are working with 3 landholders to install amenities blocks, wifi roads and lights in time for the season for car campers

Reactions: crackson

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Doesn't look like a car wash, but the jindy chamber of commerce are working with 3 landholders to install amenities blocks, wifi roads and lights in time for the season for car campers
I heard ot was something to do with water usage _ which is the reason a car wash cant be installed in jindy.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I heard ot was something to do with water usage _ which is the reason a car wash cant be installed in jindy.
Car washes filter & recycle the water back thru the wash. Not a 100% closed loop but close enough. At least in Radelaide.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006

I knew they were doing this to house staff, but I hadn't heard any mention of skibums being welcome at these facilities.

Reactions: Ozgirl and telecrag

scout99

Hard Yards
Mar 22, 2018
How frequently are chains required for the drive from Island Bend to Perisher? I stayed at Thredbo Diggings lots in 2019 and we only needed chains once but I'm guessing Guthega Rd might be a different story, is it?

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
On an average year, you might need chains 5-10 days getting up the one steep hill before turning on to the main road to Perisher. However, one big dump of snow might necessitate chains every day for a week.
The drive to Guthega can be very tricky if there is black ice on the bitumen sections (lots of shade over the road), particularly just before you get to the Power Station turnoff. From there you are on a long stretch of dirt road. You don't see too many 2WD vehicles at all; it's a long, slow and bumpy ride unless it's a nice clear day on nice clear roads. Good luck, have fun.

Sweefu

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 22, 2019
How frequently are chains required for the drive from Island Bend to Perisher? I stayed at Thredbo Diggings lots in 2019 and we only needed chains once but I'm guessing Guthega Rd might be a different story, is it?

What kind of car do you have? I have yet to ever fit chains in any snow driving including camping/4x4 tracks (since 2017), but I have a 4x4 with AT tyres.

Reactions: Jacko4650

scout99

Hard Yards
Mar 22, 2018
What kind of car do you have? I have yet to ever fit chains in any snow driving including camping/4x4 tracks (since 2017), but I have a 4x4 with AT tyres.
Sorry - should have thought to add that. I'm in a 4WD with AT tyres but I am very lacking in confidence driving on ice and snow. Two years ago at the Diggings, I was in an AWD with useless low profile tyres.

We wouldn't be driving to Guthega from Island Bend, we'd be driving to Perisher.

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Sorry - should have thought to add that. I'm in a 4WD with AT tyres but I am very lacking in confidence driving on ice and snow. Two years ago at the Diggings, I was in an AWD with useless low profile tyres.

We wouldn't be driving to Guthega from Island Bend, we'd be driving to Perisher.

You'll be fine, slow and steady :thumbs:

Sweefu

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 22, 2019

Agreed, you should be fine. Don't hesitate to whack it into 4Hlc if it's icy, snowy or very slippery.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Admit to being worried about being able to turn right onto the main P road though. Will have to leave before the conga line.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Just wait for a really expensive car in the conga line amd pull out in front of them.

They'll stop.
Another trick: There is rarely any traffic coming back from Perisher, so you ignore the conga lane and slowly and safely turn right into the wrong lane (ie: the RHS of the road). Once you have good traction going down the hill, indicator on to merge and people always oblige. Never failed yet.

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
That is the one I have planned.

Still tempted to get the little bcf kero as a backup as well.

Thankyou all for keeping your eyes out for a solution.
That should keep you very toasty!

re the gas mate portable propane ones, from what I’ve read, the inbuilt battery is an issue as it can’t be charged and run at the same time and you can just hook it up to 12v.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
That is the one I have planned.

Still tempted to get the little bcf kero as a backup as well.

Thankyou all for keeping your eyes out for a solution.
These are predominantly temporary solutions. If you need something for more than a week or two a more serious solution would be something like:-
https://www.amazon.com.au/Parking-T...ocphy=1000383&hvtargid=pla-851768415824&psc=1

Said system requires a bit of planning and installation, nothing beyond a Ski.com.au forum member with some Youtoob and friendly advise from fellow Ski.commers (hello???).

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Good mate has a little diesel one in his van. Have been quizzing him about it. 8kw should be good with kero backup. Can also take kero one fishing.

Reactions: Sage O

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Couple weekends I’ve missed to book for august. Although I have options available so not concerned

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
These are predominantly temporary solutions. If you need something for more than a week or two a more serious solution would be something like:-
https://www.amazon.com.au/Parking-T...ocphy=1000383&hvtargid=pla-851768415824&psc=1

Said system requires a bit of planning and installation, nothing beyond a Ski.com.au forum member with some Youtoob and friendly advise from fellow Ski.commers (hello???).
Bugger, all my online adds for the next month will be for diesel heaters.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass