Camping for the 2022 season

Sweefu

Hard Yards
May 22, 2019

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Same as last year’s plan (which was foiled early August). Every weekend that’s not complete rubbish at Island Bend, single person tent, no beer, no soft heaters.

5FE81FC2-3491-4CA8-8BA0-266B1A1C0880.jpeg

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Temperatures are already falling. Intend to camp for a night or two in tent late next week and the forecast had Perisher getting down to zero. Must take warm blanket. No van with diesel heater for this trip!
Following week with van at Island Bend for summer hikes, fishing and march fly swatting.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Diggings and Ngarigo will be our primary van locations this year again. I best set a reminder to get my bookings on.

We have put some roof racks on the van now so can put the pod on the roof to carry the skis and other extra items and not cramp up the van floor. Will need to get a mini step ladder so I can actually get up to the pod.

I notice shingle back have new bike racks that can now have a ski/snowboard attachment. A bit hexy but looks like it could be good. They have a rack with a hitch on it too, so will be able to swing and lower the hitch and open the back of the van. Considering ordering it.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Temperatures are already falling. Intend to camp for a night or two in tent late next week and the forecast had Perisher getting down to zero. Must take warm blanket. No van with diesel heater for this trip!
Following week with van at Island Bend for summer hikes, fishing and march fly swatting.
I spent last weekend out near Guthega, woke to a tent covered in ice.

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
I have spousal permission [ albeit grudgingly] to undertake a re-hash of my aborted 2021 ski camp at PV.
I'm going to need a method of running a CPAP machine as these days I can't get enough regular sleep with out one. Any recommendations of reasonably priced solar panels and controllers as I need a new battery and it's probably worthwhile changing from lead-acid to lithium technology and my current controller won't work with lithium cells.
Will be using the Helsport lavvu/tipi with stove as the group shelter and sleeping in a modified cheap tent from Rays, highly modified with stove and other bits
Looking forward to advice on solar chargers

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
No major upgrades to our van at this stage for the upcoming winter. Having said that, we're running starlink now at home so if geolocking is done with by winter will have satellite internet for the hutte. It pretty taxing on power reserves though so may need to add a second house battery.

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
Tossing up whether to pick up a teardrop trailer this year. The roof tent, whilst quick to set up and cosy had to be packed up before going skiing in the morning - not fun when it's frozen over with ice.
You could simply put the rooftop tent on a small trailer and save some cash for new skis.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Having said that, we're running starlink now at home so if geolocking is done with by winter will have satellite internet for the hutte.
So on our local community page someone had been adjusting their starlink address to use it when travelling between here and the coast. That was until the last trip returning home and they could no longer hook back onto the home address. I guess the base station got full while they were away.

Reactions: Sage O

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
So on our local community page someone had been adjusting their starlink address to use it when travelling between here and the coast. That was until the last trip returning home and they could no longer hook back onto the home address. I guess the base station got full while they were away.
Yeah wouldn't want to lose my spot here at the home address, going back to NBN would be dreadful *vomit emoji

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
I have spousal permission [ albeit grudgingly] to undertake a re-hash of my aborted 2021 ski camp at PV.
I'm going to need a method of running a CPAP machine as these days I can't get enough regular sleep with out one. Any recommendations of reasonably priced solar panels and controllers as I need a new battery and it's probably worthwhile changing from lead-acid to lithium technology and my current controller won't work with lithium cells.
Will be using the Helsport lavvu/tipi with stove as the group shelter and sleeping in a modified cheap tent from Rays, highly modified with stove and other bits
Looking forward to advice on solar chargers
We just been using one of these which was able to provide enough juice to keep our battery topped off camping last season.

Puts out about 77w with full direct sunlight per the VictronConnect battery shunt I'm using.

Cost about $340, quite bulky to transport and decently heavy.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
You could simply put the rooftop tent on a small trailer and save some cash for new skis.
The price difference between a trailer and a teardrop from aliexpress isnt that much. Added bonus that you don't need to wait for a sunny day to dry it out between use.

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
Never seen a teardrop caravan on Ali can you share a link? Would freight be a killer tho?

Sweefu

Hard Yards
May 22, 2019
I've been trying to do a longer camping trip near Perisher for the last 2 years but being based in Melbourne I haven't been able to.

So the plan for this year is to do a decent trip 10 - 14 days at Island Bend, as well as a couple of smaller trips where I'll probably share accommodation with mates who won't camp in winter.

My partner and I do a lot of camping through the Vic high country, down on the coast and longer trips to NT/Central Aus, all based out of our car so most of our gear is pretty heavy/comfortable.

I'm tossing up which tent to use this winter but probably my Blackwolf Turbo 210 Lite, I've read a few posts about these and they seem to cope with wind OK. Being able to stand up and get changed inside the tent is a huge bonus for this type of camping so the swag isn't an option.

A giant fridge isn't as much advantage here but I do have a 200ah lithium battery and 2000w inverter, I typically use an induction cooker which has been an amazing upgrade, much easier in wind too.

Has anyone tested any awnings or gazebos at Island Bend or similar conditions? I have 2 Oztrail gazebos but they are awful in the wind, wondering if anyone has found a good alternative?

Would be great to meet anyone else camping this winter :thumbs:

20210815_160717.jpg

3decks

One of Us
Feb 1, 2002
Does anyone who rides Perisher camp at the Diggings?

I always have a tube pass but still go the Bend for car camping. Hadn’t really thought of heading to the Diggings despite it being easy via the Tube.

Granted I haven’t done much car camping recently but I wondered the relative merits of catching the Tube down and camping at the Diggings instead of the Bend (eg 2wd and less access issues) does anyone have a point of view? pros/cons?

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Not me, but met plenty perisher riders camping at diggings.

Diggings is inside the park so you are meant to have a parks pass to have your car there. A 2wd 'should' be fine in most circumstances, there may be the odd occasion needing chains to get out and to the tube

Reactions: Chaeron

Balsta

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 11, 2012

I always have a tube pass but still go the Bend for car camping. Hadn’t really thought of heading to the Diggings despite it being easy via the Tube.

Granted I haven’t done much car camping recently but I wondered the relative merits of catching the Tube down and camping at the Diggings instead of the Bend (eg 2wd and less access issues) does anyone have a point of view? pros/cons?
If you don’t mind catching the tube then I can’t see a problem. Also better for those who don’t like driving in the snow as much.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
PreCovid the Diggings was really overpacked and quite often on weekends totally full with no spots left at all.
Covid probably sped up the much needed booking system as it was becoming a circus.

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Did I see some new toilets being built at Island Bend last year before heading down the hill?
Are thy finished?
Yeah they were looking finished when we were there late august last year but the roof looked like it was damaged in the high winds. I’m sure it would have been fixed pretty quickly though.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Yeah they were looking finished when we were there late august last year but the roof looked like it was damaged in the high winds. I’m sure it would have been fixed pretty quickly though.
Yep , new dunny's (single berth only) are now fully operational at the Bottom camp at IB and in the middle (winter swampy) section adjacent to the grass airstrip. The middle one has issues with water leaking straight back into the 'operational' zone (ie: under feet, whilst seated at the throne) and might present some interesting ice skating challenges in winter so be very careful.
I would strongly urge fellow ski.com'ers to avoid the middle (airstrip) camping area during winter. It is perhaps the dumbest location for camping in a National Park I have ever witnessed - it can quickly turn into a muddy, half frozen, wind blown quagmire.
That said, it remains quite popular here in summer now that the rains have eased.

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Question. Drinking water at Island Bend. Just extract from Snowy River, or summin else. Boil/treat first, or usually good to go for drinking?

Reactions: FatBoyDave

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
In winter, would I get in and out of Island Bend campground ok with chains on a front wheel drive VW Transporter van? A 4motion AWD VW van would be much better but there aren't many of those in the used vehicular market.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
In winter, would I get in and out of Island Bend campground ok with chains on a front wheel drive VW Transporter van? A 4motion AWD VW van would be much better but there aren't many of those in the used vehicular market.
Technically speaking, to drive to down the bottom you need a 4WD.

Can neither confirm nor deny I've been down there in the 2WD Honda Jazz.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Top section easy. Even the bottom section probably. I was surprised how easy the road was even after snow. I have an Impreza with snow tyres.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Looking for a tent that can pull double duty for touring and the odd night at one of the campsites in the park if I'm on my own.

Does anyone have experience with the Mont Moondance FN? Looks expensive compared to 3 seasons (cheap compared to 4 seasons) but has a lot of nice features like covered vents and a very waterproof floor. Are there any other comparable tents that are cheaper?

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Wait until the factory sale in May maybe (stock these days fk knows really) and get a good price. I have the original MD1, it’s a really good unit.

Reactions: Sage O

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Looking for a tent that can pull double duty for touring and the odd night at one of the campsites in the park if I'm on my own.

Does anyone have experience with the Mont Moondance FN? Looks expensive compared to 3 seasons (cheap compared to 4 seasons) but has a lot of nice features like covered vents and a very waterproof floor. Are there any other comparable tents that are cheaper?

I picked up an MSR remote 2 a few years back on sale from the uk for about 700 delivered but it’s not the lightest out there. Can get the weight down somewhat by jettisoning pegs if you’ve got poles and skis you can use. Good amount of space for two and very sturdy construction.
4EB12B6A-8C72-4DC6-837F-F108F51222DA.jpeg

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass