Camping for the 2022 season

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Deep cycle batteries are not suitable for high current draw.
What would you suggest? Many thousands of caravaners run microwaves via Inverters on deep cycle batteries. Using cranking batteries would be expensive as they don't cycle too well for long periods of draw and would get wrecked pretty quickly. I'm not trying something new. Lithium is definitely more betterer but even then, experts recommend at least 150ah.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
What would you suggest? Many thousands of caravaners run microwaves via Inverters on deep cycle batteries. Using cranking batteries would be expensive as they don't cycle too well for long periods of draw and would get wrecked pretty quickly. I'm not trying something new. Lithium is definitely more betterer but even then, experts recommend at least 150ah.
Really roughing it with a microwave on board. Just like the early pioneers.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic

A new AGM deepcycle will probably be fine, just bear in mind when using that much power that the life of the battery will be compromised. I guess trying to avoid high power devices when there are alternatives is probably the best way to prolong your batteries during winter when charging is restricted.

The Century battery specs give good indication of terminal voltage vs time for various loads. Note that the capacity for these is specced at a 20hr rate, drawing more amps will reduce its capacity.

century agm.png

Reactions: Jacko4650

Mogul

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2004
Upper Northern Beaches, Sydney
About half a metre. Cables came with the Inverter; not sure of rating but they are about 12mm thick (each) with insulation. Connections are solid, no heat. Makes me wonder if the Shunt used for the capacity monitor is causing some blockage - will check. I have a bigger shunt so may try swapping out.
To give you an idea you should be running around 50mm square (not 2 inch) cable for that amount of amps. Remove shunt no need for it. As said above most batteries will struggle to delivery that amount of amps for any period longer than a few seconds.

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
Think 200A welding cable, bloody heavy stuff, not the wimpy 200A battery jump cables that can only handle that current for 10 seconds or less.
50mm<2 might be overkill tho, AWG-1 is a bit cheaper than AWG- 0 although I admit that on the old Dyna I used AWG-0000 for the Anderson plugs
Info here for interest

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
To give you an idea you should be running around 50mm square (not 2 inch) cable for that amount of amps. Remove shunt no need for it. As said above most batteries will struggle to delivery that amount of amps for any period longer than a few seconds.
Shunt is required for Coulometer which I find important managing the two (separate) battery systems I have onboard (I meter both). I have always run two systems, even on my yacht when I sailed the east coast for a couple of years. Some people don't like the idea, but I like contingency plans. Shite happens from time to time.
Really appreciate the feedback (from @Moondog55 also) on the cabling. Might try the battery cable I have sitting around somewhere?
Back to the camping . . . .

Reactions: Sage O

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
Talking about camping. My driveway is full of stuff for the big winter basecamp.
Tents, cots, mattresses, underfloor insulation and tent floor protector tarps.
Boxes and boxes of cut firewood. Boxes of staple foods and cooking gear. A couple of wood stoves for heating the tents, Propane and Butane stoves for cooking on, even an old propane lamp that does double duty as a tent heater and matching gas bottles.
Doubling up as my daughter is joining me as partial training for her next trip to Canada.
Waiting until the last possible moment to make the drive up.

iagreewithhim

Blessed are the bignoses
Ski Pass
Sep 3, 2001
A very long way from everybody
Talking about camping. My driveway is full of stuff for the big winter basecamp.
Tents, cots, mattresses, underfloor insulation and tent floor protector tarps.
Boxes and boxes of cut firewood. Boxes of staple foods and cooking gear. A couple of wood stoves for heating the tents, Propane and Butane stoves for cooking on, even an old propane lamp that does double duty as a tent heater and matching gas bottles.
Doubling up as my daughter is joining me as partial training for her next trip to Canada.
Waiting until the last possible moment to make the drive up.
Where base camp?

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
There are reports that Island Bend is booked out for every weekend of the season.

Gotta love rush implemented, short term, "temporary" measures.
It is. However it won’t really stop me from staying there if I was going too but I usually get up early and have breakfast in car park then ski till last lifts. So wouldn’t come across a Ranger

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
It is. However it won’t really stop me from staying there if I was going too but I usually get up early and have breakfast in car park then ski till last lifts. So wouldn’t come across a Ranger
Lots of sites will be booked and not used. $6 for booking up to 7 days isn't enough of a disincentive to make bookings that may not be used. The booking was meant to be a civic control measure. That seems pointless now so it should return to first come, best dressed which would allow the IB sites to be better utilised.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Lots of sites will be booked and not used. $6 for booking up to 7 days isn't enough of a disincentive to make bookings that may not be used. The booking was meant to be a civic control measure. That seems pointless now so it should return to first come, best dressed which would allow the IB sites to be better utilised.
Can you remember a single Guvment charge that was reverted back to zero once in place?

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Can you remember a single Guvment charge that was reverted back to zero once in place?
The Vic state Labor government did roll back on unpopular increases to camping fees in Vic national parks and Vic state parks a few years ago. But I do struggle to remember a second instance!

Reactions: Chaeron and skifree

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
I think I posted this earlier. We were there a couple weekends ago. Fully booked online, plenty of sites.

Anyway the ranger came through and we mentioned we tried to book but it stated full online. He just shrugged and said yep people book and don’t turn up and want worried we were there.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
The Vic state Labor government did roll back on unpopular increases to camping fees in Vic national parks and Vic state parks a few years ago. But I do struggle to remember a second instance!
And the trail fees at Falls Creek.

Reactions: Chaeron and Goski

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
I think I posted this earlier. We were there a couple weekends ago. Fully booked online, plenty of sites.

Anyway the ranger came through and we mentioned we tried to book but it stated full online. He just shrugged and said yep people book and don’t turn up and want worried we were there.
I wonder if that attitude will carry through to winter?

Reactions: skifree and skull

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
And the trail fees at Falls Creek.
I think trail fees are a resort decision but their current absence is welcome for those of us who use the trails when we're not on the lifts. Mt Stirling and Lake Mountain's have had on again, off again trail fees, currently off. Baw Baw used to try and charge xc trail fees but they don't groom much and the dog sled and handlers and the walkers chew the trails up so it's good they don't bother with trail fees anymore.

It would be great if Victoria could move to the NSW model of a reasonable access fee for all resorts but "I'm dreaming".

Reactions: GS and Chaeron

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I think trail fees are a resort decision but their current absence is welcome for those of us who use the trails when we're not on the lifts. Mt Stirling and Lake Mountain's have had on again, off again trail fees, currently off. Baw Baw used to try and charge xc trail fees but they don't groom much and the dog sled and handlers and the walkers chew the trails up so it's good they don't bother with trail fees anymore.

It would be great if Victoria could move to the NSW model of a reasonable access fee for all resorts but "I'm dreaming".
I was referring to the xc trail fees, they were imposed & policed in poor manner, they were rescinded as part of the it’s better to encourage people to exercise via xc skiing than be sick for lack of exercise plan.

Reactions: Chaeron

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
We got busted at diggings last year when we should have been at ngarigo. Ranger said all good then. Snow Blowy and family were with, the Ranger didn’t even bother checking their booking (weren’t booked)
Hey. I always follow to rulz.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I was referring to the xc trail fees, they were imposed & policed in poor manner, they were rescinded as part of the it’s better to encourage people to exercise via xc skiing than be sick for lack of exercise plan.
Yes, I understood it was the xc trail fees. I agree that they weren't managed or policed well. More trouble than they were worth for not much revenue. At Stirling a paid ARC officer would show up now and then to check that the xc trail fees were being paid but it was a haphazard effort and only on the lower trails. On days when no grooming had been done we would wonder why we were paying.

Reactions: skifree

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Yes, I understood it was the xc trail fees. I agree that they weren't managed or policed well. More trouble than they were worth for not much revenue. At Stirling a paid ARC officer would show up now and then to check that the xc trail fees were being paid but it was a haphazard effort and only on the lower trails. On days when no grooming had been done we would wonder why we were paying.
Come to Perisher. On your first km of skiing you can gaze upon the carpark of lifted skiers who have paid their entry fee,... which pays for your trail grooming.

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
I cancelled my June LWE Diggings camp booking. Got Tbo accom via my ski club. But online cancellation did not work, had to ring up. Yep, should revert back to first in best dressed. The booking thing was supposed to be a Covid thing remember?

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Went back to the Mont sale to look for a sleeping bag. Wasn't really happy about paying a lot of money for a bag that's lighter and only slightly warmer than my cheapo sleeping bag. I decided to look for a liner for my cheapo bag instead when I spotted the old version of the expedition bag going extremely cheap. It's heavy but I will not need any additional liners or have to sleep in my jacket. Amazed to see it there so late in the sale and very happy with my purchase.

Reactions: Chaeron

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I cancelled my June LWE Diggings camp booking. Got Tbo accom via my ski club. But online cancellation did not work, had to ring up. Yep, should revert back to first in best dressed. The booking thing was supposed to be a Covid thing remember?
Yes, and now that we, as a country, have stopped limiting Covid-19 spread, the booking system should go. Camping 10 or 20 metres from someone else vs walking through a busy shopping centre that will have active cases? I'll take the low risk camping scenario please. I'm safer in a full NP campground then I am going out to buy milk. Covid-19 risk reduction in a campground isn't logical when compared to the current, accepted, urban risks.

Me+3

One of Us
Jun 26, 2014
IB booked out all weekend in July & Aug.
But looks to be pretty quite mid-week.
Interesting given how full Jindy is and comments in this thread about lack of available/boked out spots...

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Surely they run it for Guthega guests to get over? Skis off?

I’ve no idea!

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Yes, and now that we, as a country, have stopped limiting Covid-19 spread, the booking system should go. Camping 10 or 20 metres from someone else vs walking through a busy shopping centre that will have active cases? I'll take the low risk camping scenario please. I'm safer in a full NP campground then I am going out to buy milk. Covid-19 risk reduction in a campground isn't logical when compared to the current, accepted, urban risks.
There's nothing more permanent than a temporary government measure.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
The word up my way is that parks are happy to keep the booking system, as it helps with justification of funding for different facilities.

I detest this removal of spontaneity.

IMO, welcome to the world of smaller parks and larger population.

We're fast approaching the conundrum of a population size that requires better parks management, but still not enough population to fund it properly.

Reactions: Belly and Myazma

plink01

Addicted
Jun 27, 2018
Ok im gonna ask a bunch of annoying questions that have probably already been answered but it might be handy for any other interstate person looking to camp in the NSW parks this ski season.

I'm from Vic and usually do a week camping in Island Bend every season. Obviously Covid stopped me the last 2 years and from my understanding I now have to book a site??

But I still have to pay NSW National Park Pass??

Why am I paying both??

I know no one has a crystal ball, but how likely is Island Bend to be full and what are the chances of the Ranger coming to check on me before 9am, and after 5pm??

This whole thing sounds like a shit show, im now considering not even bothering. I like to be flexible and spontaneous due to work and this now looks like I'll need to book months in advance.

I like to camp at the very bottom part where they advise not to camp but even if it's empty, it ruins the experience if at a moments notice someone could show up with a booking and boot me out. Or vice versa I drive all the way from Bairnsdale and i gotta boot some poor bloke out who has set up his big intricate snow camping set up.

I loved camping down there in those crazy kill storms, im spewing If this is going to be the end of it.

Reactions: Belly

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Ok im gonna ask a bunch of annoying questions that have probably already been answered but it might be handy for any other interstate person looking to camp in the NSW parks this ski season.

I'm from Vic and usually do a week camping in Island Bend every season. Obviously Covid stopped me the last 2 years and from my understanding I now have to book a site??

But I still have to pay NSW National Park Pass??

Why am I paying both??

I know no one has a crystal ball, but how likely is Island Bend to be full and what are the chances of the Ranger coming to check on me before 9am, and after 5pm??

This whole thing sounds like a shit show, im now considering not even bothering. I like to be flexible and spontaneous due to work and this now looks like I'll need to book months in advance.

I like to camp at the very bottom part where they advise not to camp but even if it's empty, it ruins the experience if at a moments notice someone could show up with a booking and boot me out. Or vice versa I drive all the way from Bairnsdale and i gotta boot some poor bloke out who has set up his big intricate snow camping set up.

I loved camping down there in those crazy kill storms, im spewing If this is going to be the end of it.
You won’t be booting or being booted, you don’t book a particular spot. You may turn up and have trouble finding a spot, the bottom bit has been very busy every time I’ve been.

It will be full, I believe weekends are booked right through winter already. Having said that, I have never been checked.

Booking fee is $6, per booking. Not per night or per person. $6 for a week, shouldn’t break the bank?

Reactions: Untele-whippet
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass