Camping for the 2022 season

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
They certainly do some damage. The one we hit in our Suzuki nearly came through the drivers side door which admittedly was made of the worlds thunder sheet metal.

Hopefully with all the rain this year they aren’t as attracted to the grass adjacent to the road.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
A mate of mine swears by his DMax, only time he's come off second best was from a street sweeper, but never from a roo.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
1987 Hilux just ate them, never hurt it.
yeah the older 4WDs coped with roo strikes better, especially with decent bars on the front.

My wife's cousin lives in country Vic, surrounded by big eastern greys and like you hit two in quick succession in a newish Hilux, much damage from first strike, written off with second.

Now has Landcruiser 79 with enormous bar which apparently worked out cheaper than insurance!

Edit...he doesn't slow down at night or early morning which doesn't help.

The proliferation of deer at night around us worries me more than roos, they are big top heavy b***ds that are likely to come through the windscreen

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Snowmaker7

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Bowral, NSW
Back to the previous topic of conversation again... what's the go with the camping at JE resort? Are they still doing it? If so, how much is it? Cannot find anything on their website

Also to answer anyone's questions about booked out camp areas in the NP online, just ring up, I think the operators are just throwing the covid capacity limits out the window and taking bookings to what they considered to be their pre-covid capacity (still with the $6 fee). Sounds like they just haven't updated their online booking system as such

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Back to the previous topic of conversation again... what's the go with the camping at JE resort? Are they still doing it? If so, how much is it? Cannot find anything on their website

Also to answer anyone's questions about booked out camp areas in the NP online, just ring up, I think the operators are just throwing the covid capacity limits out the window and taking bookings to what they considered to be their pre-covid capacity (still with the $6 fee). Sounds like they just haven't updated their online booking system as such
Something updated today.
I tried booking Thredbo diggings campsite (2 different web pages and their own App) and it was throwing up all sorts of nannas, so I went into the Jindy office to suss it. Today is the first day of "Site specific Bookings" at this campsite. Some are for Caravans only and others for tents only. This was due to the expected overcrowding. Of course, there is only one other person here atm, but I have to camp on a site (no.11) I would never camp on at this time of the year; (a) right next to the only other people here and (b) no sun to charge batteries via solar. System is broke.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Interesting chat with the staff in the Jindy National Parks office while I was there about wild dogs in the National Park. I told them you hear them howling pretty much every night at Island Bend these days; including pups. Nat.Parks have been fighting to keep private dogs out of Crackenback but lost the argument. Apparently, lots of rich city people like to bring Woofa with them to their $million holidays shacks adjacent to the Ntional Park and the natural instincts of some dogs take over. Off they go, seeking to plunder and pillage and to be free. Interesting fact: they need to rotate Rangers in areas because the wild dogs get familiar with their scent and will avoid baits and traps accordingly.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Interesting chat with the staff in the Jindy National Parks office while I was there about wild dogs in the National Park. I told them you hear them howling pretty much every night at Island Bend these days; including pups. Nat.Parks have been fighting to keep private dogs out of Crackenback but lost the argument. Apparently, lots of rich city people like to bring Woofa with them to their $million holidays shacks adjacent to the Ntional Park and the natural instincts of some dogs take over. Off they go, seeking to plunder and pillage and to be free. Interesting fact: they need to rotate Rangers in areas because the wild dogs get familiar with their scent and will avoid baits and traps accordingly.
Not quite correct, the rangers don't rotate unless it's because of promotion and other staffing issues. If there are any rotations it may be the dog catchers but I've never heard of it happening.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Not quite correct, the rangers don't rotate unless it's because of promotion and other staffing issues. If there are any rotations it may be the dog catchers but I've never heard of it happening.
Take it up with the Nat.Parks staff? This came from a member of the Wild Dog Task force (or equivelent).

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Something updated today.
I tried booking Thredbo diggings campsite (2 different web pages and their own App) and it was throwing up all sorts of nannas, so I went into the Jindy office to suss it. Today is the first day of "Site specific Bookings" at this campsite. Some are for Caravans only and others for tents only. This was due to the expected overcrowding. Of course, there is only one other person here atm, but I have to camp on a site (no.11) I would never camp on at this time of the year; (a) right next to the only other people here and (b) no sun to charge batteries via solar. System is broke.
Have the sites actually been marked out at the diggings?

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Something updated today.
Is that what all the rope was last year? Is it just diggings or ngarigo and island Bend too?

Sage O

Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
625A9050-D980-4948-B821-4E33DD9144CF.jpeg

4.6m, sounds like they don’t want mega rigs. Having said that 4.6m isn’t very big either.

Snowmaker7

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Bowral, NSW
Something updated today.
Just had a squiz. They really couldn't have put you on a worse site could they? Right at the entrance to the campground and furthest from the river. What a joke!

Reactions: Jacko4650

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Just had a squiz. They really couldn't have put you on a worse site could they? Right at the entrance to the campground and furthest from the river. What a joke!
As a site for caravans, no sun. Need sun for solar to charge batteries; otherwise peeps will come equipped with generators = not good. Personally, I don't have one but can charge from the ute if absolutely necessary via a DC2DC charger.
At least it's level. It would be a good site for campervans; skiing thru the day and returning to camp. Easy to back in; Dunnies are close.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Reactions: Sage O

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Their new system generally lets you choose the site you want, if it is available. I just had a look and could book site 12 next to you for this weekend, if I was going...
Software interface was so new - it wasn't there when I was in Berridale, but showed up (with glitches) in Jindabyne 25 min later. Senior staffer booked me in but she didn't select a site as far as I know? Might have????
BTW, internet is bloody good here compared to I.B.

Reactions: Sage O

ecowain

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2003
Mount Victoria, NSW
Whether anybody will keep to it is another question. When i turned up at a campsite in the southern highlands last week, there were two caravans squeezed into my allocated tent only campsite. I had to go elsewhere.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
There was no site numbers on the bookings I’ve submitted for the season?!?
They will probably allocate retrospectively. Didn't somebody mention they got an email update with a site number????? Diggings Only.

Reactions: skull

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Whether anybody will keep to it is another question. When i turned up at a campsite in the southern highlands last week, there were two caravans squeezed into my allocated tent campsite. I had to go elsewhere.
Yes, this will be an issue. Rangers generally hate breaking up fights (as a rule).

Reactions: skull

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Whether anybody will keep to it is another question. When i turned up at a campsite in the southern highlands last week, there were two caravans squeezed into my allocated tent only campsite. I had to go elsewhere.
Surely you’d be within your rights to burn their vans and sell the folks off in the slave market?

Reactions: fenrir

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
As a site for caravans, no sun. Need sun for solar to charge batteries; otherwise peeps will come equipped with generators = not good. Personally, I don't have one but can charge from the ute if absolutely necessary via a DC2DC charger.
At least it's level. It would be a good site for campervans; skiing thru the day and returning to camp. Easy to back in; Dunnies are close.
Peeps come equiped with generators anyway. Nothing like a night in the great outdoors with the roar of a generator and the smell of diesel wafting across the site. Had it happen a few times.
There was also the couple who hooked their caravan into the car battery then couldn't get the car started the next day.

• Haha
Reactions: skull and cornice12

Snowmaker7

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Bowral, NSW
No.1 or No.9 would be my picks to get the winter sun. It's not my normal camp and I'm not sure if you can select sites or it's random, but they would be my winter spots at this early juncture. I have a week to reconsider!
Yep I booked last night. Was able to pick the exact site I wanted.

Long story short, between the time I had clicked on my selection and payment, someone had booked that site out for the entire season - not available until OCTOBER.

I honestly don't mind this system, next step is having someone there policing it. I am still scared that on the day I will rock up and someone is in my site. More than happy to pay 10 bucks a night as opposed to flat rate to fund a more structured and honest system.

Reactions: Jacko4650 and GS

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Peeps come equiped with generators anyway. Nothing like a night in the great outdoors with the roar of a generator and the smell of diesel wafting across the site. Had it happen a few times.
There was also the couple who hooked their caravan into the car battery then couldn't get the car started the next day.
I love cruising the internet on my phone and viewing random shit occasionally but I see some people set up with portable cinema set ups and satellite dishes, thats just too much for me.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Yep I booked last night. Was able to pick the exact site I wanted.

Long story short, between the time I had clicked on my selection and payment, someone had booked that site out for the entire season - not available until OCTOBER.

I honestly don't mind this system, next step is having someone there policing it. I am still scared that on the day I will rock up and someone is in my site. More than happy to pay 10 bucks a night as opposed to flat rate to fund a more structured and honest system.
Agree. Charge more per night so as to prevent people just booking the entire season. This is not the complete solution, but part of it.
Demerit points for people who dont show up (compliance costs!) - or just go back to the old system.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
I love cruising the internet on my phone and viewing random shit occasionally but I see some people set up with portable cinema set ups and satellite dishes, thats just too much for me.
Why? Should we stop diesel heaters, campervans, outdoor showers, fire lighters, where does this line of thought start and stop?
I started sleeping in the back of my Toyota Surf, then progressed to a swag, then a camper trailer, then a little pop top, now a caravan; over a period of 30+ years. I grew up camping in the alpine. Is progress, learning and the fruits of hard work which permits me to have lithium batteries, Kayo and a roof over my head to be frowned upon?. If (big if) I had millions of dollars to buy a property near Kozi, I would still prefer to camp with friends I have met over decades in the National Park, close to nature, at the mercy of the weather. Its the experiences. I must be mad?
The single biggest contributor to the one or two days of overcrowding in Kozi camps is social media like this, so just stop it.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Why? Should we stop diesel heaters, campervans, outdoor showers, fire lighters, where does this line of thought start and stop?
I started sleeping in the back of my Toyota Surf, then progressed to a swag, then a camper trailer, then a little pop top, now a caravan; over a period of 30+ years. I grew up camping in the alpine. Is progress, learning and the fruits of hard work which permits me to have lithium batteries, Kayo and a roof over my head to be frowned upon?. If (big if) I had millions of dollars to buy a property near Kozi, I would still prefer to camp with friends I have met over decades in the National Park, close to nature, at the mercy of the weather. Its the experiences. I must be mad?
The single biggest contributor to the one or two days of overcrowding in Kozi camps is social media like this, so just stop it.
Why? Because the effort setting all the tvs and satellites dishes up is not what I enjoy. Hence the “too much for me”. If setting up your campsite like it’s your lounge room fill your boots just make sure your geni and surround sound TV set up don’t disturb me.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Why? Because the effort setting all the tvs and satellites dishes up is not what I enjoy. Hence the “too much for me”. If setting up your campsite like it’s your lounge room fill your boots just make sure your geni and surround sound TV set up don’t disturb me.
Are you now a camping snob?

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Are you now a camping snob?
What’s with being a Dick?

I can’t be bothered setting up all that shit. Happy keeping it with just the van, that luxury enough for me. Does me saying that’s “too much for me” offend you or something? Do you need a cuddle?

If you want to set up a taj mah camping arrangement fill your boots. As long as your generator and tv aren’t distributing the others around then I can’t see a problem.

Reactions: Humphrey

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
I see the problem being when whatever you are doing starts affecting the enjoyment of others or the usability of the spot for the next camper. So running a generators is out for me as there is a noise issue. Just as i would never fire up a petrol chainsaw in the campground if there were others around. Diesel heaters? Need to consider fumes for others. You may not smell the fumes or hear the noise in your solid insulated walled cabin or vehicle but if it can be smelt by others in tents and swags then its antisocial. Those diesel heaters churn out nasty fumes - none of this refined modern day vehicle diesel fumes.

If its boggy and you are maneuvering vehicles or vans off the driveways that a big no no for me as it renders the area useless for those intending to swag or tent. You may be able to afford a caravan, but the younguns just starting out in a swag or tent shouldn't have to sleep in mud because you or I got soft and a bit wealthier in middle age.

I do have an issue with people leaving the formed roads in vehicles and caravans. IMO any designated vehicle or van spots should have some form of surface treatment and preferably link to the road.

lewis

One of Us
Jan 25, 2018
Not exactly camping but do Thredbo care if you park in their overnight carpark/s and sleep in your car? Is there somewhere else nearby to park instead?

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Not exactly camping but do Thredbo care if you park in their overnight carpark/s and sleep in your car? Is there somewhere else nearby to park instead?
Very much yes they (and Parks) care.

A recent history of folks leaving their rubbish and using the car park as a toilet and things like that have resulted in a severe lack of interest in having folks stay overnight in the car parks.

Reactions: lewis

lewis

One of Us
Jan 25, 2018
Very much yes they (and Parks) care.

A recent history of folks leaving their rubbish and using the car park as a toilet and things like that have resulted in a serve lack of interest in having folks stay overnight in the car parks.
So you have to stay in either JIndy or one of the campsites?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass