Camping for the 2022 season

lewis

One of Us
Jan 25, 2018
yeah I went and pre-booked our sites as soon as they opened for reservations.
Jindy it is then. Unless they'll accept people who just show up when the campsites not full? Oh well, still much closer than Cbr.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

lewis

One of Us
Jan 25, 2018
that is still frowned upon like stealth camping anywhere else you are not meant to be
I'll keep it in mind and try book a campsite ahead of time if there's any available (late cancellations). Can't really book in advance because I've got no idea when I'll be going. But if there isn't any campsites available, Jindy it is.

lewis

One of Us
Jan 25, 2018
9AC6A10A-BCD5-40B7-A7DE-E2AF0C0851A6.jpeg
Are the penalties cheaper than a nights accommodation?? :angel:

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Are the penalties cheaper than a nights accommodation?? :angel:
I think it’s $300 for each night you’re busted.
So cheap in Thredbo Dollars...........!
They’ll check for evidence of sleeping, like fogged windows, sleeping bag etc and take photographic evidence.
Sometimes it’s a 5.00 am knock on the door in a blitz.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
They’ll check for evidence of sleeping, like fogged windows, sleeping bag etc and take photographic evidence.
Wouldn't condone it but I have heard of some people using converted tradie vans without windows for a camper and steadfastly refusing to respond when they come knocking at 5am

Reactions: lewis

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
saw a van last year camped up in the ON parking area and it had a chimney with smoke bellowing out of it.

• Haha
Reactions: fenrir and skifree

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
saw a van last year camped up in the ON parking area and it had a chimney with smoke bellowing out of it.
22C558CB-B65B-4146-836E-225DA27C571F.jpeg

The Beverley Hillbillies had this chocked up in the back corner of Carpark 3 all 2017 season and drove down from Canberra on weekends to use it as a cabin while they skied.
7A5871BA-69E8-4C54-BDE6-CBAC0DAC1D8A.jpeg

This guy had the chimney going all season.
And we wonder why they cracked down.
Carpark parties, Carpark fires, Carpark poo!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Wikicamps was good too, until everybody got on to it and now those 'secret' sites and secret tips are no longer secret!

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Wow, demographics really are changing, people paying farmers $20 a night to camp/park all over the place, dog minders required so someone can go skiing for the day (in my day you left the dog in the backyard all day while you were at work, no minder!). Just bizarre, oh well, young people these days hey!

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Wow, demographics really are changing, people paying farmers $20 a night to camp/park all over the place, dog minders required so someone can go skiing for the day (in my day you left the dog in the backyard all day while you were at work, no minder!). Just bizarre, oh well, young people these days hey!
Gen Z dogs, lots of anxiety.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Anyone camping last night? Sort of weather that eats poor design/quality tents.

Think @DidSurfNowSki and @Kletterer are out there somewhere.

Wilderness Equipment 2nd Arrow for its maiden overnight BC trip. Passed with flying colours.

B61E04A1-FB2A-4CFD-8020-17651E0058F4.jpeg

Can confirm it was a bit breezy.

Kletterer cobbled up that structure in the background using some fencing wire and corrugated iron he found laying around.

Last edited:

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
just got an interesting email from NSW parks about my bookings over the school holidays.

I had booked three bookings over the period 7 days - 7 days - 3 days to cover the full period. Anyway they just emailed me and said the bookings breach the 14 days and I need to 3 days from the bookings.

Thing is I will be disappearing during the week while the wife stays there, I should have made the middle booking in her name to split them up. Too late now

Reactions: Snowmaker7

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
just got an interesting email from NSW parks about my bookings over the school holidays.

I had booked three bookings over the period 7 days - 7 days - 3 days to cover the full period. Anyway they just emailed me and said the bookings breach the 14 days and I need to 3 days from the bookings.

Thing is I will be disappearing during the week while the wife stays there, I should have made the middle booking in her name to split them up. Too late now
Likely match number plates.

Good to see them enforcing stay restrictions, hopefully deal with the permanent campers.

Reactions: skifree

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Likely match number plates.

Good to see them enforcing stay restrictions, hopefully deal with the permanent campers.
possibly. I have got them to amend the booking and skip the first weekend. Plenty of options for us to park the van somewhere else for the Fri and Sat night.

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015

gets a bit hot in them vehicles
internets.

yes but have you got the most recent upgrade? if not, you don't get all the websites apparently.
2) IB, was ok until closed due to asbestos fears (pssst 3 mile camp grounds are full of it if you look cl
so that's not "fresh", then, I see on the cams...

Niepan

Hard Yards
Feb 8, 2014
Just checked the booking system for IB and it's saying all saturdays are booked out all the way through September. Has IB actually gotten that packed over the last couple years? Last time I camped there was in 2019. I don't remember IB being more than half full ever. I just made a last minute decision to get a season pass and I'll try to get to the slopes every weekend if I can hack it. I was gonna camp in IB just for a night on Saturdays but it's looking kinda rough. Does anyone know if the actual campground is as busy as the booking system makes it out to be? Do rangers actually come and check if I've got a booking if I'm just sleeping for a night in my tent/car?

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Do rangers actually come and check if I've got a booking if I'm just sleeping for a night in my tent/car?
They check, the times I have encountered them checking camp reservations (at the other sites) has been around 3-4pm and in the morning they tend to only check vehicle permits around 7-8am.

My gut feeling, based of the email I got, it seems they are being more proactive in enforcing the rules and I think they will patrol more and actually take action for non reservation campers. I could also be wrong on that assumption.

Niepan

Hard Yards
Feb 8, 2014
They check, the times I have encountered them checking camp reservations (at the other sites) has been around 3-4pm and in the morning they tend to only check vehicle permits around 7-8am.

My gut feeling, based of the email I got, it seems they are being more proactive in enforcing the rules and I think they will patrol more and actually take action for non reservation campers. I could also be wrong on that assumption.
Thanks. That's a bit frustrating to know. I guess there's always accommodation options further than Jindy.

Balsta

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 11, 2012
Just checked the booking system for IB and it's saying all saturdays are booked out all the way through September. Has IB actually gotten that packed over the last couple years? Last time I camped there was in 2019. I don't remember IB being more than half full ever. I just made a last minute decision to get a season pass and I'll try to get to the slopes every weekend if I can hack it. I was gonna camp in IB just for a night on Saturdays but it's looking kinda rough. Does anyone know if the actual campground is as busy as the booking system makes it out to be? Do rangers actually come and check if I've got a booking if I'm just sleeping for a night in my tent/car?
For large parts of the previous two seasons Sydney an further afield were in lockdown during peak season so it wasn’t as busy as it was going to be.

I expect this year to be a different story.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass