1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Camping near hotham or mt Buller

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Lil_powlesy, Jun 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tcornall

tcornall Early Days

Is the west ridge ski-able to any extent, for someone who has an aversion to slopes where 'if you fall you will die'? i.e. is is worth taking skis there, or is it a snowshoe/crampon/ice-axe jobby? I don't mind a bit of climbing whilst carrying the skis but if there isn't anywhere to put them on, I'd rather leave them behind.

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

It’s pretty spicy out there.

tcornall and mr like this.
  3. GS

GS A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Snow camping is actively encouraged on Stirling, but they do have toilets in various places.

https://www.mtstirling.com.au/activities/snow-camping/

4. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

yeah its a crampons walk up mostly, with some exposure, and the occasional, thoughtful move with a big pack. Conditions could vary from an ice block to slush, in the same day.

we camped in that flat spot, just under that headwall far left....i believe we might have accidentally passed a resort management sign further down.........it was obscured by snow i recall........ as you can see, there is some skiing in the area.....but from this point down it would be fairly sketchy unless big cover

skifree, dr80, tcornall and 1 other person like this.
  5. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

The Plowking likes this.
  6. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

The West Ridge is usually icy or hard snow, you really want to have crampons, an ice axe and know how to use the axe to self arrest, as even with crampons you are likely to slip over a few times and it is a very long way down to the tree line.

That said, in 2013 I took a group up there in snow that is best described as waist deep porridge. There was no danger of people sliding hundreds of metres on that trip, they just stopped where they fell. But ploughing through that crud to get up to the summit ridge was exhausting.

7. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

I’ve camped at the base of west ridge. Makes for an interesting trip back when your legs are less than fresh.