Camping near Perisher (Tips) / Hot Shower (Free or Paid)

Fred Maranhao

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
Hi Guys!

I know there are a couple of threads about this, but they are quite old and probably outdated...

I am planning on going to Perisher this year, but instead of paying for accomodation in Jinda, I was thinking on camping (to keep the costs low).

I usually don’t feel cold and I believe I can go a few days without a shower, but my mates (which I am trying to convince) are afraid of the cold nights and not having a shower (hot).

I am planning on spending the night on Thredbo Diggings Campground (seems to be the closest to Bullocks Flat).

So, my questions are:
1) Is there any place up in Perisher or nearby Bullocks Flat where someone can shower?
2) Or do we need to head to Jinda for a shower? If so, what are the options? We might end up going to Jinda for a beer anyway...
3) How would it be for camping somewhere near Bullocks Flat? We would be using a regular tent... What type of sleeping bag / mat should we look for, for a comfortable night?

Cheers!!!

Last edited:

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
I’m by no means anywhere close to an expert, but pre pandemic I believe you could go to the Jindabyne pool and go for a swim and a shower. someone closer to home would have to answer that.

I only know that cause I was looking at it once for my mate. He was less than pleased when I suggested that if didn’t want to pay for that, Normo’s creek, the snowy river or Lake Jindy were going begging

Can’t provide much more help than that I’m afraid

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Jindy Pool.

But be real prepared for maybe limited to no access thru 2021.

Otherwise it’s the caravan parks, do not forget the Saw Pit Creek Caravan Park in your research.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Fred Maranhao

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
Jindy Pool.

But be real prepared for maybe limited to no access thru 2021.

Otherwise it’s the caravan parks, do not forget the Saw Pit Creek Caravan Park in your research.
Yeah, I was in Thredbo last year and the pool / showers were closed...

I saw Saw Pit Creek option, but was favouring something closer to Bullocks Flat...

Fred Maranhao

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
I was assuming the OP would realise they actually need to stay at the caravan park to use bathroom.

Some of the free camping seem to have bathrooms... My question is regarding shower cause I know one of the parties will “require” it... At least for the first time. Then he might be ok for skipping it a day or two.

Fred Maranhao

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
Lol you said cheap airbnb / station in same sentence as jindy.
Cheap is 1k for a weekend?
The plan is to drive almost every weekend, so paying for accommodation will be prohibitive.
We will go for a full week in August, with the wives... Then we will have proper accomodation, etc... :p

Camoman

One of Us
May 10, 2019
Jindabyne
That’s $122 for 2 nights, 3 people. Might do that for the first trip, and explore the area for free options...

This was my option for many many weekends years ago. $122 for an unpowered site might seem a bit steep on face value but at only $20/person/per night it isn't all that bad $$.

For that you get your shower and nicer toilets than then NP long drops. You also get a kitchen facility. You also get a common area with fireplace (obvs subject to covid). The kitchen in itself makes it worth it if you are doing high numbers of trips as it saves you cooking under head torch in the park. Or if you planned takeaway you will be miles ahead $$$ by taking simple supplies and cooking spag bol.

Keep in mind all NP campsites now require booking. Toilets are not as nice. No showers. No kitchen.

IMO by far the best option thru experience. Nobody 'needs' showers daily but for that extra $20 personally on your day totals your body will thank you for it.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
This was my option for many many weekends years ago. $122 for an unpowered site might seem a bit steep on face value but at only $20/person/per night it isn't all that bad $$.

For that you get your shower and nicer toilets than then NP long drops. You also get a kitchen facility. You also get a common area with fireplace (obvs subject to covid). The kitchen in itself makes it worth it if you are doing high numbers of trips as it saves you cooking under head torch in the park. Or if you planned takeaway you will be miles ahead $$$ by taking simple supplies and cooking spag bol.

Keep in mind all NP campsites now require booking. Toilets are not as nice. No showers. No kitchen.

IMO by far the best option thru experience. Nobody 'needs' showers daily but for that extra $20 personally on your day totals your body will thank you for it.
You also get a Woodfired oven, a drying room and a large fire pit.
For the cost of two beers at perisher

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Lol you said cheap airbnb / station in same sentence as jindy.
Cheap is 1k for a weekend?
He has no idea! Mummy and daddy pay his lodge fees!

OP, Jindy pool or the thredbo pool (but may as well ski thredbo for that.

The Station is you cheapest no camping accom option.

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
He has no idea! Mummy and daddy pay his lodge fees!

OP, Jindy pool or the thredbo pool (but may as well ski thredbo for that.

The Station is you cheapest no camping accom option.
I’ll have you know that my lodge fees come from my trust fund thank you very much ;) ( just kidding, no annual fees until I turn 21, start paying them off next year.
But you pay for what you get.
Granted I got the air bnb wrong. You live and learn. I have only ever stayed off the snow once and that was at the station. Cost me 1000 bucks for the week.

My dads best mate sleeps in his 4WD in a side street during weekendsHas a very warm sleeping bag, and is yet to complain about it. Some people are just built differently

Ding

Hard Yards
Mar 5, 2021
Sounds like a good business idea to build a shower/toilet only facility. Maybe built next to a laundromat. Charge $20 for 30 minutes use of an enclosed shower/toilet. Charge progressively higher $25/45 minutes, $30/1 hour etc. They can chuck in their dirty clothes in the laundromat while showering. After they're done, they would want to use the dryer to dry their clothes. They'll be bored waiting for their clothes to dry so maybe have a few selection of craft beers on tap. Open 24 hours and could be maintained by a one man shift who can do the cleaning and serving of beers. Might even be a way to automate the beer serving. Add a few vending machines with snacks and drinks and selection of laundry liquids for goretex, wool, etc

Reactions: SnowRabbit

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Sounds like a good business idea to build a shower/toilet only facility. Maybe built next to a laundromat. Charge $20 for 30 minutes use of an enclosed shower/toilet. Charge progressively higher $25/45 minutes, $30/1 hour etc. They can chuck in their dirty clothes in the laundromat while showering. After they're done, they would want to use the dryer to dry their clothes. They'll be bored waiting for their clothes to dry so maybe have a few selection of craft beers on tap. Open 24 hours and could be maintained by a one man shift who can do the cleaning and serving of beers. Might even be a way to automate the beer serving. Add a few vending machines with snacks and drinks and selection of laundry liquids for goretex, wool, etc
Except....that's a caravan park....and its cheaper.

Ding

Hard Yards
Mar 5, 2021
What the cheap set could use is a new class of accommodation like Japanese style coffin hotels. Cheaper than a proper hotel but a step above a caravan park or accommodations like The Station in that it can provide personal private sleeping space, albeit cramped. Could probably charge a price in between those accommodation types.

Ding

Hard Yards
Mar 5, 2021
And a kitchen

A drying room is a good addition to my "shower hotel" idea. Kitchen not so much. We assume they would eat out in Jindy then scoot off somewhere to sleep in their car or tents. Just need a facility to shower/relieve themselves and clean and dry their clothes.

Basically a caravan park yes, but without the additional costs of building and managing a sprawl of a parking facility.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass