Camping Stoves

ski spiggy

Hard Yards
Jul 13, 2004
Vic
Shrek, I also love my Dragon fly except for the fact that the slightest wisper of wind upsets it and disallows full throtle.
Do you find the same thing?

Shrek

Old n' Crusty
Jun 16, 2000
be in the mist
well i would not use it without the windsheild. 2 reasons
the one you mentioned and if you use the windsheild it forces the hot air to wrap around the cooking vessel, heating is faster. If you leave it off even in still air boiling is much longer. I dont use the lower reflector. full throttle can be a balancing act with bottle pressure and jet size, I have run a DF flat out on kero with shellite jet, do i need to write up a how to superchange a dragonfly FAQ?
laugh.gif
more pressure and bigger jets, must check if holley, delorto or webber would be a good source.
ps id love a titanium base plate and fuel bottle

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulM

First Runs
Jul 14, 2005
Melbourne
Simonn said:
Gas Trangia Update

Back from 5 days in perfect weather on high plains with our Gas/Trangia system. Trangia worked well except first morning when it was around -7 degrees overnight (water bottle freezing in tent)and the gas cylinder needed to be warmed to work well - after that we keept the cylinder in the tent overnight and it was fine.

Otherwise stove was great and very efficient - took two gas bottles, one of 440g and one 220g - only used about 3/4 of the 440g cylinder (not melting snow though) for 5 days/4 nights.

(btw - is it possible to get temps after the fact - ie is there an archive of the hourly temps data from Falls somewhere..??)
Try Denali, -55degC ambient. White spirit gets gluggy in the bottle (you have to keep in sleeping bag). Main Range in perfect conditions - yes. Main Range in manky conditions - maybe/no... Serious conditions - no. Use a white spirit stove. Much more versatile.

Paul

Simonn

First Runs
Jul 27, 2004
South coast WA
PaulM said:
Try Denali, -55degC ambient. White spirit gets gluggy in the bottle (you have to keep in sleeping bag). Main Range in perfect conditions - yes. Main Range in manky conditions - maybe/no... Serious conditions - no. Use a white spirit stove. Much more versatile.
The inability of a gas trangia (or any gas stove) to perform on Denali in -55degC is not, imho, a good measure of their usefulness. Based on my experience, yes, on the main range in manky conditions I might need to keep the cartridge warm. Just like on Denali!

If I was on Denali (in a really bad dream perhaps?) I would have the multi-fuel burner for the trangia. Or even my MSR...

ski spiggy

Hard Yards
Jul 13, 2004
Vic
They make a titanium base plate... Ohhh I want me one of those!!!
eek.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass