1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Camping up for 2018 season

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by skull, Mar 28, 2018.

1. skull

skull One of Us

Looks like a bit of weather coming through this weekend but nothing like we got hammered with in May.

So we are going to be brave and camp. Our set up is complete and I think it should be ok. There will be success or disaster photos on Monday.

2. Arsas

Arsas One of Us

Did you camp last weekend? I was at Sawpit Saturday and Sunday nights and it was the coldest I have been. Perisher dropped to -12.1 Sunday night and Cooma dropped to -8.1, so Sawpit was somewhere in between.

POW_hungry likes this.
  3. skull

skull One of Us

No.

I had to work and was in Sydney. The wife did a day trip on the Sunday with the kids.

4. skull

skull One of Us

Alrighty

Great success.

We have now got a good routine for setting up. Arrived Friday and our good spot was clear, so jump out and get to it setting up the tent. We now have a combination of 375mm and 300mm long pegs and have 9 additional guy ropes.

Friday night and Saturday day were nice days and no issues with tent.

Early Sunday morning the weather started to come through. First it was the rain, and it bucketed down at 1PM. Tent held out like a champ. Rain continued then the wind started. By 5AM it was blowing a gale. I could hear other tents and peoples equipment getting blown around. Our tent barely budged.

I got up at around then for a nature break and I could see a site down from us getting blown away. By the time it was light I was up and had a look around. All our guy ropes still solid, all the pegs still fully in, our poles still upright and in position. Because of the rain we didn't want to use the wooden table and chairs so I boiled up the water under our awning and then we all sat there eating our porridge and watching some shellshocked campers trying to work out what happened.

While eating breakfast we watched the group below us have a whole tent pick up over the trees and blow off into the distance. Kids were chipper the whole time, the anaconda sleeping bags we got for them are brilliant. They have slept solidly every night, even through the -7 morning the other fortnight.
    We then spent the morning getting rained on. The wife and I cut our day short to pack up after lunch, tent held strong all day. Picked the kids up at 1530 and then drove straight home.

The group that lost the tent and had a rough night, well you could say nature gave them a bit of karma. When they arrived they started cutting down trees for firewood, the ranger had a word. Also when they left they left 6 large bags of rubbish behind but I called out and said they better take that too. So they sheepishly walked back and collected it (probably just dumped it somewhere else the grubs). However there was a large amount of rubbish and debris left behind by people. Makes me angry.

5. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Great work, mate. I think most will agree, take down number plates of those discard their rubbish and let rangers take it up with those responsible. There's no excuse for that shit in a NP and especially not KNP. Some people will argue it's a waste of time, but you have an obligation to speak up against those dumbwits.

ecowain, GS, W0nkey D0nkey and 7 others like this.
  6. skull

skull One of Us

Well, this weekend has greatly improved out confidence with the camping now. Friday during the day I was getting a bit apprehensive after some of the posts on the weather threads. My wife, who stalks this forum, had read those posts too. She even went to the BOM site who had a severe weather warning up.

Thanks to @Snow Blowey for basically telling me to toughen up and get out there, I went home and got everyone ready to go. The Mrs was still not keen and said she wanted to wait for the 1700 update from the bom. However I said Snow Blowey said we will be fine.

We arrived around 1900, our favourite location had a couple of tents set up but we still managed a spot near to where we wanted. It was pissing down with rain. So I got to enjoy setting up the tent by myself in the rain whilst everyone else watched on from the car. Oh and they heckled.

I now run six 300mmX9mm pegs for the base and the remaining pegs are 375mmX9mm and I also have three big large heavy duty plastic ones at the front. Unfortunately the rubber mallet crapped itself during this set up but luckily it was near the end so just took a bit of effort getting the last pegs in. To improve on this I am getting 2 rubber mallets, so a spare can live in the car as well as a heavy duty mallet as I think it was banging in the heavy duty pegs that damaged the rubber one.

During the night the wind picked up a beauty and the tent rattled a bit, but held solid. The only thing that was annoying me was when it rattled condensation would drip off the canvas onto my face. We fixed that the following night but turning the sleeping arrangements around.

I was hoping to wake up with snow at diggings, but unfortunately that didn't eventuate.

Sat night was calm, but today was blowing a gale and when we went to the site after skiing all day the tent was holding firm. There was some lads camped close by who had some nice tunes playing on Sat night too, so it was all rather peaceful.

I have to express my gratitude to all that offered advice on extra guy ropes and improvements with pegs and site arrangement. After the last two weekends were there has been some adverse conditions we have had very successful camps. The confidence has improved and the experience been great.

So thanks.

Tanuki, Pottsy, W0nkey D0nkey and 8 others like this.
  7. POW_hungry

You thought the weekend was busy, just hunkered down for the night and the entire Diggings camp is chocka block!
    There is 20-30 knots blowing, but the anticipation is well in force.

Belly, Untele-whippet and whether like this.
  8. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

9. skull

skull One of Us

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the people there on Saturday night. Was full. We got back from dinner around 1830 and car parks were at a premium. We had to park our car down the bottom of digging off the side. It is also a lot worse with a lot of the areas fenced off at the moment due to being rutted up.

Enjoy the week. I have Friday off as some mates are coming to the ACT to ride stromlo, so I decided I would join them. The wife has now said if I am taking Friday off it would be better to go down to Thredbo. So that is what we are doing now

10. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Glad you are puting me in the firing line @skull . Your mrs may as well blame me as well.

POW_hungry, Belly and skull like this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

Rubber deadblow hammers are the biz for pegs.

skull likes this.
  12. skull

skull One of Us

erghhh

Another wild windy weekend ahead. I have today off for a bonus day down at the snow too. I have to work next weekend too, so this will be my last ski for a fortnight.

We are just about to head down and set up camp then ski for rest of the day. That is if we do not get blown away.

13. skull

skull One of Us

Arrived, got our spot. Had a sneaky ski and now cooking dinner. Tied down tight. Starting to get a bit blowy now

14. GS

GS A Local Ski Pass: Gold

In Vic we can report littering to the EPA and we have done so on numerous occasions. Take some pics and details for evidence. Hopefully a few fines and these people will learn.

POW_hungry and skull like this.
  15. skull

skull One of Us

Another successful camping weekend. With the best skiing yet. I also got my wish for a snow covered tent.

Friday night was a bit iffy with the wind coming through. Both the wife and I were a bit nervous, however I did feel like we have made progress from the May disaster so I wasn't as nervous as the wife.

One problem though was when the strong gusts would come through on one of the tent frame legs it would release the catch. I ended up through a few extra guy ropes on near the join to hold the pole steady. Yet we made it to Saturday morning in one piece and still all together.

During Friday night I was thinking next time when there is an extreme weather warning with gusts over 100km/h to maybe not camp. However waking up to the snow on Sunday and the two intensely made days of skiing, it was worth the risk.

Snow tent

Snow breakfast

Extra guy ropes

Extra guy ropes with fly off

Pottsy, coolair, Bloke and 8 others like this.
  16. Woolie

Woolie Hard Yards

Hi Campers. We normally camp at the Diggings and ski Thredbo but am thinking of trying Island Bend this weekend. A couple of questions.
    1. The Perisher website says there is only 50 day parks at Guthega. What time does this fill up on a Snowy Saturday or Sunday? Or would I be better of driving to Perisher?
    2. We normally finish the day at Thredbo with a swim for the Boys at the Aquatic centre and Mexican at the ULLR. Is there any dinner options at the base of Guthega?
    3. Finally, looks like it is going to be windy this weekend. How does Island Bend compare to the Diggins for wind?

Appreciate your help?

17. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

8am and you should be fine.
    Yes, dinner i believe at the pub a short walk up the road.
    Lots of different nooks and crannies at the bend, up high and down by the river, you'll need to find something that works best for you.

POW_hungry likes this.
  18. POW_hungry

On weekends Guthega CP can be full by 9am. Theres’s bugger all at Guthega in terms of infrastructure. Might as well drive to Perisher IMO.
    Island and Bend and Diggings are comparable in terms of wind. The bonus of Island Bend is there is a lower section a little less exposed, alas it’s highly contested and you’ll need to get in early to find a half decent spot.

19. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yep, go to Perisher, what was I thinking :)

20. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The drive from Island Bend is very relaxing and takes about 20min. There's wildlife to watch out for and much of it is windy dirt road, so slow going is the norm.
    Its about the same time to Smiggins or Perisher, but you have to beat the crowds, leaving by 7.45am or earlier is recommended on a Sat. As mentioned above, Saturday nights are busy but if you take your time, there are heaps of good spots, just remember to plan for extreme winds; it is the new norm this year.

21. Untele-whippet

Overnight body heat clothes line

POW_hungry, Jacko4650, Belly and 2 others like this.
  22. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Tidy your room, ps your to old to need to be told;)LOL

Untele-whippet likes this.
  23. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Good to see you keep your "stack magic" in the car. I like to take mine out on the slopes with me.

skull and Untele-whippet like this.
  24. skull

skull One of Us

We shoved damp ski pants into the bottom of our bags at night and that worked pretty well.

My gloves were still drenched though

25. Woolie

Woolie Hard Yards

Thanks for the info guys. I have just bought a Dry Guy 12volt boot dryer. Will be testing it out this weekend. Also taking a second jacket each for Sunday if needed. Unfortunately the teen boys have refused to wear my 25 year old purple and green snowboard Jacket so looks like I’m stuck with the gem of history.

26. Sean Sunley

Sean Sunley Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Spent the evening of Saturday 11 August in the Kosciuszko Tourist Park and survived. $45 and not far from Perisher. As I'm a Perisher skier next year I will be doing this more.

Tanuki, Jellybeans, tot and 4 others like this.
  27. skull

skull One of Us

Camping escapades have continued. No further dramas really to add here now. It has been a great experience, we have even made friends with a few other regular campers there now.

Last week we were a bit cheeky and left the tent up on Sunday, was so good to arrive Friday night and not have to mess around with that. Especially since it was drizzling.

28. Untele-whippet

Club Diggings laundry and kitchen tonight

Attached Files:

Sage Oya, GS, Tanuki and 1 other person like this.
  29. Untele-whippet

The tranquil purr of a generator permeating the ambience of Thredbo Diggings tonight :mad:

Tanuki likes this.
  30. Bloke

Bloke One of Us

You know what to do :D

zac150 and Untele-whippet like this.
  31. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Stealthily placed bag of sugar could change that quite briskly.

ecowain and zac150 like this.
  32. GS

GS A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Nice setup, what have you got over the windows?

33. Untele-whippet

GS likes this.
  34. Untele-whippet

35. POW_hungry

Fark that. Anything damp can stay the heck away from my down bag...

zac150 likes this.
  36. Untele-whippet

The Diggings this morning

Jellybeans, GS, Bloke and 9 others like this.
  37. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Cool tent LOL

38. The Barracker

The Barracker Hard Yards

Truly this is the spartan way

39. POW_hungry

Campin' right next to dunny makes for great odours at tucker time.

#339 POW_hungry, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  40. Untele-whippet

My Kitchen Rules a la The Diggings.
    Chef @telecrag cooking up a treat.

zac150, crackson, Jellybeans and 4 others like this.
  41. skull

skull One of Us

ermaged that is amazing. Near our usual spot too.

Didn't get down this weekend and only did a day trip last weekend. Hoping to do all long weekend coming up though to finish strong. After that I am not sure what we will do. The family want to continue the camping routines we got into, probably not every weekend so the tempo can drop. I am hoping to do a bit of walking up BC carrying skis for as long as what is left allows me.

That will be solo but the family will camp and stay amused down at the village somehow.

42. skull

skull One of Us

meh, after almost 25 years in the Army that is the best way to get stuff dried so you can use it again the next day.

43. POW_hungry

You had down sleeping bags in the army??
    Just saying, I will do all possible to keep my down bag dry and clean.

44. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu One of Us

As we head towards the end of the season thanks for sharing your entire experience, from planning to execution to perfecting. A great read plus lots of evidence of how other members are willing to share their experiences.

45. skull

skull One of Us

no we just had the cheapest they could supply.

Just checked, the ECW bag I have is synthetic (lamilite) so it can handle being wet and retain warmth. I guess the standard issued ones are some kind of synthetic fill too.

46. skull

skull One of Us

Well, new year and new season, same camping.

Haven't changed much really from last years processes as it worked pretty well. One thing we did do different this weekend was instead of eating dinner out in the Village we cooked up at the camp site. That was a big win actually and the kids also loved being back at the site earlier and watching the bush tele. We didn't get our usual spot this weekend and the camp site was the busier than any weekend last year.

Ozgirl, Snow Blowey, whether and 5 others like this.
  47. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

The Jindy lakefront is much cleaner since they banned camping, circle work in the sand seems to have replaced the litter

Jacko4650 and skull like this.
  48. POW_hungry

I think one and all can expect this trend to grow as the season continues, unfortunately. I hope NPWS are taking note of the numbers... It must be under scrutiny this year, surely.

skull likes this.
  49. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I'm hoping the precipitation comes soon to slow down the large number of yobbo's camping at Island Bend ATM.

coolair, ecowain and skull like this.
  50. skull

skull One of Us

it was pretty packed Saturday night. We packed up and left Sunday to avoid the clear snow that was meant to be coming through. A few asshates had left a bit of a mess. My young lad is a future park ranger though, he went around and collected rubbish.

Snow Blowey, LMB, Barras and 7 others like this.