Can I ski 30 days resorts on AT gear?

JOMA

First Runs
Oct 27, 2021
Hi All,

I'm a new member but have been lurking for a long time. No skiing for 20 years (living in Alice Springs) but a fair bit of time in NSW resorts and NSW back country back in the day (favourite run = triple A on back of Tynam). Back then I skied on tele gear (leather (asolo extremes and Merril supercomps) and then plastic T3, Karhu extremes and last skis were 205 Tua somethings with cable bindings. Skins and some waxing (clister only once and never again!)).

So, I've got some long service leave next year and a ticket of leave from home to go camp at Island Bend and ski for a month.

I want to mainly resort (season pass Perisher with access from that G place, sshhhhh!) but want the option for a bit of back or slack country.

Seen some reasonable ex rental AT gear online that could do me. I won't be cranking, just cruising since I'm an old, unfit fatty these days. I used to parallel a lot on the tele gear, especially on hard pack or steep.

So finally, my question:

Will the AT (I think bindings would be Tec rather than plate if I have those terms right. Lighter for back country) gear stand up to lots of resorting or should I get some alpine gear and maybe rent AT a bit for some back country?

Thanks in advance to anyone listening (even though most are thinking more fly fishing than skiing this time of year. I have got to do a little of that in the past 20 years)

JOMA

Rimey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 28, 2010
The modest end of the Great Divide
Hi All,

I'm a new member but have been lurking for a long time. No skiing for 20 years (living in Alice Springs) but a fair bit of time in NSW resorts and NSW back country back in the day (favourite run = triple A on back of Tynam). Back then I skied on tele gear (leather (asolo extremes and Merril supercomps) and then plastic T3, Karhu extremes and last skis were 205 Tua somethings with cable bindings. Skins and some waxing (clister only once and never again!)).

So, I've got some long service leave next year and a ticket of leave from home to go camp at Island Bend and ski for a month.

I want to mainly resort (season pass Perisher with access from that G place, sshhhhh!) but want the option for a bit of back or slack country.

Seen some reasonable ex rental AT gear online that could do me. I won't be cranking, just cruising since I'm an old, unfit fatty these days. I used to parallel a lot on the tele gear, especially on hard pack or steep.

So finally, my question:

Will the AT (I think bindings would be Tec rather than plate if I have those terms right. Lighter for back country) gear stand up to lots of resorting or should I get some alpine gear and maybe rent AT a bit for some back country?

Thanks in advance to anyone listening (even though most are thinking more fly fishing than skiing this time of year. I have got to do a little of that in the past 20 years)

JOMA
For the past thirteen years I have skied tec bindings in resort and of course beyond.
I have three pairs which I use on a number of skis via quiverkillers.
Fear not, tec bindings are very robust. Mine are Dynafit FT12s. A buddy clocked me at Happoone on the groomers at 80 kmh.

Last edited:

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
hello

beefier tech bindings like kingpins or shifts or the beefiest of other brands are plenty up to the task.

id be a little cautious about the ultra light stuff. that's more designed for saving weight for the up, not for good skiing on the down and certainly not for repeated beating they'd take in resort skiing.

and you couldn't pay me to ski with a frame binding again (which I think you mean by plate). not only are they 2-3 times the weight, thus ruining your day early when your legs get more tired, their massive lever arm on a small aluminum fulcrum means they fail so frequently in the backcountry. they were a super great idea and were invaluable in bridging the gap between touring and alpine sking, ive had two different pair, its just that their time is well and truly past.

the downside with tech is that you need new ski boots with toe pins.
if you're planning on doing a season, with more than about 10 days backcountry, I think its worth the investment in getting a proper setup.
the upside is a comfier lighter touring experience, and a rubber rockered sole that you can walk on tiles with and not fall on your ass.

i nearly chose that G place with the intention of 50/50 resort backcountry. ended up at Hotham instead. I think you'll have a great time!

for reference, this season at hotham i've done approx 30 days on kingpins and 90 on shifts.
last season about 80 days at hotham, all backcountry, on kingpins.
about 30 backcountry and 60 in resort in japan on kingpins every season the previous 4-5 years.
i haven't owned any 'normal' bindings for quite some time.

Last edited:

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Tech bindings generally lack the elasticity of alpine bindings, so you certainly feel the difference if charging a groomer. That said, I have almost exclusively skied in bounds and in the BC on Dynafit bindings for the past 8 years

Reactions: Chaeron and skifree

BrianWilson

One of Us
Jul 20, 2009
All my skiing for the last decade or so has been on dynafits. Very rarely ski resorts in Aust but have skiied 20 days or so in Japan and Canada resorts without problems.

Reactions: Chaeron and skifree

dayzoff

One of Us
May 25, 2012
Canberra
Always ski resort on black crow free birds with marker king pins and scarpa touring boots. Shins get a bit sore some times but the super light weight set up on chair lifts after knee surgery is the biggest bonus!

Reactions: Chaeron

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Always ski resort on black crow free birds with marker king pins and scarpa touring boots. Shins get a bit sore some times but the super light weight set up on chair lifts after knee surgery is the biggest bonus!
haha you just reminded me first time on a chair with new light boots, kingpins and ultra light skis.
they were so light that I panicked, I thought my boots and skis fell off when we lifted up.

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
They're not tec, but have used Marker F10s on 160 100mm Armadas for the last 6 years. Mostly resort skiing. At least 100 days. Some XC in Canada.

I really can't notice any difference between them and Alpine Bindings. Maybe a toe pop on really high speed chattering turns on groomers.

Team Weasel

One of Us
Sep 19, 2015

I think it depends on how many years you plan on doing it. One or two years, go for it. But if you're skiing that much resort skiing every year, you should get an alpine setup for inbounds.

Alpine gear is mostly safer, easier on your body and skis better. Use the right tool for each job, not a mediocre one for both.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
They're not tec, but have used Marker F10s on 160 100mm Armadas for the last 6 years. Mostly resort skiing. At least 100 days. Some XC in Canada.

I really can't notice any difference between them and Alpine Bindings. Maybe a toe pop on really high speed chattering turns on groomers.

Because there isn't any difference between an alpine binding on a ski and an alpine binding on a a frame, other than stack height.

No one buys frame bindings if there is any intention to go touring.

Reactions: Chaeron

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
This

SmartSelect_20211028-130820_Chrome.jpg

Is different to

SmartSelect_20211028-130934_Chrome.jpg

Is different to this

SmartSelect_20211028-131007_Chrome.jpg

All can be used inbound/outbound but all are not equal inbounds/ outbounds

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
If I could take more than one set of skis. I would. But I can't. So I opt for a best fit. Mostly resort skiing. Light touring.

From TGR:

I don't mention platform bindings. Why? Because they suck. They have platforms so they alter ski flex. They're heavy. Touring with them means you are walking up with the equivalent of a gigantic d.i.l.d.o attached to your feet galumphing up the slopes. Go ahead and tell me how you slay your rad 2,000 foot KeyVailAspenHoe bro-tastic lines with your Daymakers, Wardens, Dukes, Guardians. See if I care. The platform binding is dead. You just don't know it yet.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Hi All,

So finally, my question:

JOMA
Resort skiing and touring have different risk profiles. In the resort your skiing most of the time and release becomes more important. All resort bindings have your release while only a few touring bindings have it.

Toe release is important inbounds because if your binding doesn't release the forces go to your knee rather than your tib/fib and you only pop some tendons rather than suffering compound tib/fib fractures. For a glimpse of what a bag injury that is check out @Kangaroo saga in the injury thread.

Reactions: dawooduck

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.

My FT 10s are my workhorse binders.
Full release, stomp in and ski.
Great for groomers, side country and day trips.
If you whinge about their weight for a day trip then look at your waist and get a slightly fit.
Tectons for everything else.
Toe release is important.

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
My FT 10s are my workhorse binders.
Full release, stomp in and ski.
Great for groomers, side country and day trips.
If you whinge about their weight for a day trip then look at your waist and get a slightly fit.
Tectons for everything else.
Toe release is important.

My first tech boots were heavy as. The biggest difference between tech and frame bindings is elimination of Frankenstride. Betterer to ditch the FT10 and get Shifts instead.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
My first tech boots were heavy as. The biggest difference between tech and frame bindings is elimination of Frankenstride. Betterer to ditch the FT10 and get Shifts instead.
Yes , I fondled some Shifts a work colleague purchased from @CarveMan just prior to lockdown this year, when their plans were literally scuttled by a few days.
Seemed like a great binder.
However me and +1 have never had an issue with Frankenstride.

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
However me and +1 have never had an issue with Frankenstride.

More efficient stride was the very first thing I noticed when going from frame bindings to tech 10 years ago.

Would like to put Tecton bindings on next ski purchase (DPS Pagoda Tour 100 RP) which will be our main travel skis, but DIN doesn't go low enough for +0.95 (Mk III) so will be Shift 10. I already have a Shift bindings on a pair of Black Crow Daemon and rate them for inbounds.

Reactions: Untele-whippet
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass