Canada 2019-20 Thread

gortonator

One of Us
Jun 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
gortonator.blogspot.com
Seeing as it looks like we're going to be skiing a lot 'north of the border' this season, thought I'd start a thread for places not covered elsewhere (eg Kicking Horse, Revie, Lake Louise, Red, Fernie, etc).

The only worthwhile snow we've found within driving distance so far has been at Revelstoke and Lake Louise. Reports/pics here on my blog here - last weekend was actually heaps of fun. More than this weekend at Whistler is likely to be :(

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Odd that LL has such good snow early when the rest of southern interior has been so dry. Yes I know they have extensive snowmaking but most of that is directed at the DH track before any other runs get any.

Clearly the best snow in BC is Powder King, at 160 cm base, but the 16 hour drive is a little out of weekender range...

Reactions: Chalkie

gortonator

One of Us
Jun 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
gortonator.blogspot.com
Anyone at Fernie?Report on conditions?

ok - self report :) Fernie is ok. Lots of steeps closed/poor cover/rock solid, but we had fun in Lizard and Cedar Bowl today. Off groomed is good until about half way down the bowls, and then it gets scraped and firm. not many groomers open so they are getting hammered and slick by noon. Luckily it really isn't very busy. No lift lines at all. Weird.

And we skied Castle yesterday. Much better snow, plenty of untracked pow up high and an all around superb place, I'd love to go when everything is open as the terrain is magnificent, and it's a very cool old school joint. Will post some pics soon.

Reactions: Bendalong+

Bendalong+

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 30, 2014
ok - self report :) Fernie is ok. Lots of steeps closed/poor cover/rock solid, but we had fun in Lizard and Cedar Bowl today. Off groomed is good until about half way down the bowls, and then it gets scraped and firm. not many groomers open so they are getting hammered and slick by noon. Luckily it really isn't very busy. No lift lines at all. Weird.

And we skied Castle yesterday. Much better snow, plenty of untracked pow up high and an all around superb place, I'd love to go when everything is open as the terrain is magnificent, and it's a very cool old school joint. Will post some pics soon.
Thanks for the report gortonator, it helped raise my spirits. While off but we will be in Fernie late Feb early March for a week. Skiing for me me will depend on recovery from a fractured T12 vertebrae just before Christmas.

gortonator

One of Us
Jun 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
gortonator.blogspot.com
Thanks for the report gortonator, it helped raise my spirits. While off but we will be in Fernie late Feb early March for a week. Skiing for me me will depend on recovery from a fractured T12 vertebrae just before Christmas.

nasty! drugs dude. And pot is legal here ;)

Unless things go south stupidly you'll be fine in 2 months. Just been a dry start to season in most of PNW. Conditions are decent now. Just need another foot or so. I'll post pics in next few days - Fernie again tmr, Kimberley Monday.

Bendalong+

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 30, 2014
nasty! drugs dude. And pot is legal here ;)

Unless things go south stupidly you'll be fine in 2 months. Just been a dry start to season in most of PNW. Conditions are decent now. Just need another foot or so. I'll post pics in next few days - Fernie again tmr, Kimberley Monday.
On a reducing diet of Targin Oxycodone/Naloxone slow release & Endone. Rehab has started slowly (it will be a week today since the mishap. One of those foldable ladders collapsed and 95 kg's of gravity came into play).
Enjoy your travels, Kimberley looks amazing (on our bucket list). Hope it turns it on for you Monday.

Reactions: gortonator

gortonator

One of Us
Jun 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
gortonator.blogspot.com
poor bugger. Def ease off slowly on those drugs. I did 3 weeks on them at work after a back injury. It was kinda fun but def enough!!

Kimberley is a lovely hill when it has good snow. last two times here we've had great pow and coverage. this time not expecting much. but its a day. On Epic. Time your visits here and the skiing is superb.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
If you're looking for something different, there's been another nice clear ice window, this time on Lake Minnewanka. It will probably be buried soon in the current storm, but here's a CTV clip about it:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/lake-min...in-clear-conditions-on-mountain-ice-1.4747799

We walked on Lake Minnewanka on our last trip, but the ice was creaking and groaning so we ddnt venture too far. Other people were walking over 100m ofshore, and I thought I'm not coming to rescue you!!

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
A couple of pics from BW last weekend.

81401114_10221706565592918_2250282947200417792_o.jpg 81521960_10157102620705292_7278915938227847168_n.jpg

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
Gods country, Martinsville
Colder today in Kimberly but snow is in great condition. ⛷⛷
Last day tomorrow before heading to Panorama and very cold weather.

Attachments

• 20200108_115042.jpg
    20200108_115042.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
Reactions: Joe

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
I expect to get so some of these mentioned hills this time next year. Lovely photos. Can't wait.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Prepping for Kamloops v Kelowna tonight! Should be a good game!

kamloops is the weirdest town! It’s obviously a central hub for distribution, but half the shops are nowhere near the city, go figure

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Reading the Sunpeaks thread and the coming of the ice age next week I was a little concerned about the kids. @Taipan mention he uses boot gloves and I thought I’d give them a go.

C9220EC8-D6A8-4187-B750-B62D313E5AD9.jpeg

My experience is positive, we went out on morning 1 in minus 12 and my toes were cold, not f this I’m going home cold but not comfy. As a tele skier my toes need to work as they flex so should be warmer than an alpine.

anyway day 2 minus 15 in the boot glove, toasty! +1 reckons they made her heated inner soles work better as well. Very much converts and I think they are better suited to Aus conditions as well especially at $40.

We also picked up some cheap heated socks, now I don’t expect any heated sock to actually heat the toes, just take the edge off. Will add some rechargeable batteries when home. Note haven’t used these yet but they were cheap at $45 and you can get them cheaper online but we had a need.

FF869C3E-F8C5-404C-A30F-6EFE7AB3CB97.jpeg

B43DC7BD-4AE1-4378-BFC9-5021A631043C.jpeg

sock is made of 50% wool so should be ok.

Reactions: northsail

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
Reading the Sunpeaks thread and the coming of the ice age next week I was a little concerned about the kids. @Taipan mention he uses boot gloves and I thought I’d give them a go.

C9220EC8-D6A8-4187-B750-B62D313E5AD9.jpeg

My experience is positive, we went out on morning 1 in minus 12 and my toes were cold, not f this I’m going home cold but not comfy. As a tele skier my toes need to work as they flex so should be warmer than an alpine.

anyway day 2 minus 15 in the boot glove, toasty! +1 reckons they made her heated inner soles work better as well. Very much converts and I think they are better suited to Aus conditions as well especially at $40.

We also picked up some cheap heated socks, now I don’t expect any heated sock to actually heat the toes, just take the edge off. Will add some rechargeable batteries when home. Note haven’t used these yet but they were cheap at $45 and you can get them cheaper online but we had a need.

FF869C3E-F8C5-404C-A30F-6EFE7AB3CB97.jpeg

B43DC7BD-4AE1-4378-BFC9-5021A631043C.jpeg

sock is made of 50% wool so should be ok.
Have used the boot gloves for a long time. Stops the wind chill on the shell of the boot and retains heat from inside.
Lenz heated socks are awesome but pricey at about $420 canadian.

Now how do we keep the hands warm??? Any recommendations for mitts.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I paid a shade under 300 CAD for Lenz 2 seasons ago. A lot of cheddar for a pair of socks but they work superbly. Phone app is a bit clunky to set up but it sure beats unzipping, un-velcro-ing, adjusting buttons and putting it all back together again.. for both legs. With the cost being what it is, you dont wanna wear holes in these socks, so I get ankle height nylon stockings. Let my gnarly old feet wear those out instead of the socks.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Might invest in some of those boot covers, I wear similar on my bike shoes in winter, so why not?

Still tossing up on which skis to bring. I have the Volkl Auras packed (100mm) but the Temptations are sitting in the lounge room (84mm). Managed OK on the Auras at Breck in 2018 in a crap season, really want to bring the Auras. Whistler, Banff, Revy leaving in a week.

Thoughts brain trust?

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
+1 currently using the rossi Temptation 84. She did say today my skis look so old! Seems a great ski for the groomers.
I’m hoping to stray from the groomers quite a bit, if it’s an option. They are my Aussie ski, and fun.

As for bringing both, I’m trying to travel light, after multiple trips with kids and multiple bags and gear.

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
I paid a shade under 300 CAD for Lenz 2 seasons ago. A lot of cheddar for a pair of socks but they work superbly. Phone app is a bit clunky to set up but it sure beats unzipping, un-velcro-ing, adjusting buttons and putting it all back together again.. for both legs. With the cost being what it is, you dont wanna wear holes in these socks, so I get ankle height nylon stockings. Let my gnarly old feet wear those out instead of the socks.
I found the app quite easy to use. Have the Lenz 5. Good idea with the stockings. Will hit the +1 up for some rejects.
Have you heard any feedback on the Lenz heated gloves?

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
I’m hoping to stray from the groomers quite a bit, if it’s an option. They are my Aussie ski, and fun.

As for bringing both, I’m trying to travel light, after multiple trips with kids and multiple bags and gear.
If you have a hire car i would bring both. Just gives you a choice depending on the conditions.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Second day skiing Kimberly today. Needs about 30cm i reckon. Groomed green/blues runs are good with some fresh last night. Blacks need a top up to cover grass and some hidden gems but are skiable.
The 30cm you are missing landed in Big White overnight/today, was one of the best snow days I have had. Didn’t ski particularly hard as I was with a group of friends that board. A bit of waiting for the slower marker’s, but that’s how it goes. Big White out has lived up to its reputation with fog/poor visibility across the upper 1/2 of the hill. Snow conditions near perfect.

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
The 30cm you are missing landed in Big White overnight/today, was one of the best snow days I have had. Didn’t ski particularly hard as I was with a group of friends that board. A bit of waiting for the slower marker’s, but that’s how it goes. Big White out has lived up to its reputation with fog/poor visibility across the upper 1/2 of the hill. Snow conditions near perfect.
You are the snow GOD! Looks like sunny weather for Sun Peaks 20th Jan unless you can weave your magic again.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
You are the snow GOD! Looks like sunny weather for Sun Peaks 20th Jan unless you can weave your magic again.
Yeh, can’t complain, rolled into SP on the 29th Dec, and got 55+cm in first 3 days, plus top ups , then rolled in BW and have seen 40cm in first 2 days, with a really solid base. Snowed all day today, ALL DAY!
Works for me :)
Skiing in the morning then going to the Kelowna Rockets v Kamloops Blazers tomorrow night in Kelowna. 2nd row seats for the family.

I hate Canada :rolleyes:

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Might invest in some of those boot covers, I wear similar on my bike shoes in winter, so why not?

Still tossing up on which skis to bring. I have the Volkl Auras packed (100mm) but the Temptations are sitting in the lounge room (84mm). Managed OK on the Auras at Breck in 2018 in a crap season, really want to bring the Auras. Whistler, Banff, Revy leaving in a week.

Thoughts brain trust?

this was my theory as well, work on the bike so why not.

for what it’s worth I’ve traveled with the black crows at 102cm and the nordica at 82 (caveat the nordica have a good front rocker). The black crows haven’t been skied yet but we have stuck to trails with the kids.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
this was my theory as well, work on the bike so why not.

for what it’s worth I’ve traveled with the black crows at 102cm and the nordica at 82 (caveat the nordica have a good front rocker). The black crows haven’t been skied yet but we have stuck to trails with the kids.
Thanks. I think I’ll take the wider skis, if I have to spend a few days on icy groomers, I’ll survive. Seems to be more snow coming and the interior looks ok.

And I’m so keen to try out the new phantom!

Reactions: Telezacski

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Ok, flying out tomorrow, smoke in Canberra permitting! I was trying to access the Save on Foods website but it won’t let me! Do I just ask for the 10% discount in store? Will head for the franchise in Vernon when I arrive (somewhat comatose) before proceeding to Silver Star.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Ok, flying out tomorrow, smoke in Canberra permitting! I was trying to access the Save on Foods website but it won’t let me! Do I just ask for the 10% discount in store? Will head for the franchise in Vernon when I arrive (somewhat comatose) before proceeding to Silver Star.

go up to the service desk before you start your shopping and they will sign you up for a discount card. easy

Reactions: Lady Penelope

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
@Lady Penelope We have a card for save on foods. Gives good discounts on many products. I think we got the card in store from memory.
Yep can confirm, obtain card in store, just register before shopping.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Snow report from Big White.
38 - 40cm yesterday. 10cm overnight and still snowing lightly. Weather forecast says Kelowna should get 5cm today, so that should be a bit more on the hill:thumbs:. Fog is killing vision top half of the mountain :( but under foot is excellent when you can see it. Braille skiing is not fun.

Reactions: Joe

BilbyBill

One of Us
Apr 27, 2001
Tawonga, Australia.
We had trouble setting up an on line account with them last year. We had to resort to the phone to set it up. Everything was smooth sailing after that. Their delivery service was very good.

WaistDeep

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2007
Newcastle
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone knows generally when accomodation in Whistler starts taking 2020-21 bookings? I have been asked to organise accomodation in January 2021 for 4 seperate families, and I would like to get in early so that we (hopefully) secure seperate condos in the one complex?

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone knows generally when accomodation in Whistler starts taking 2020-21 bookings? I have been asked to organise accomodation in January 2021 for 4 seperate families, and I would like to get in early so that we (hopefully) secure seperate condos in the one complex?
I had an email this week from one of the travel agents taking 20/21 bookings, so I’d say now. I booked my accommodation for this January through an agent in April last year and received a hefty discount.

Reactions: WaistDeep
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass