Canada 2019-20 Thread

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Where is that Air Canada hate thread? Flight out of Brisbane to YVR just cancelled (in fairness apparently due to an ill customer on board the incoming flight necessitating a return to Honolulu). At Cba airport now while the very helpful Qantas rep is trying to facilitate alternative flights out of eg Sydney in conjunction with Travelplan. Sigh ...

The Lunatic

Hard Yards
Mar 16, 2000
Northern NSW
Where is that Air Canada hate thread? Flight out of Brisbane to YVR just cancelled (in fairness apparently due to an ill customer on board the incoming flight necessitating a return to Honolulu). At Cba airport now while the very helpful Qantas rep is trying to facilitate alternative flights out of eg Sydney in conjunction with Travelplan. Sigh ...
Good luck

I called Air Canada direct and got on Monday’s flight. Didn’t want to go via LA

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
I am with Travelplan also. I just wanted it sorted as we are 1:30 from Brisbane airport so called direct.
All sorted. Call Travelplan if you want to go today; they may be able to get you on AC34 leaving Sydney this afternoon. Big shout out to Travelplan and the incredibly helpful Chris from Qantas at Cba airport.

The Lunatic

Hard Yards
Mar 16, 2000
Northern NSW
All sorted. Call Travelplan if you want to go today; they may be able to get you on AC34 leaving Sydney this afternoon. Big shout out to Travelplan and the incredibly helpful Chris from Qantas at Cba airport.
Nice one.

Too many other moving parts for us to not fly out of Brisbane. Just got to take the one day lost on the chin

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mitchell Pearce

One of Us
Mar 9, 2018
IMG_2411.JPG
Have used the boot gloves for a long time. Stops the wind chill on the shell of the boot and retains heat from inside.
Lenz heated socks are awesome but pricey at about $420 canadian.

Now how do we keep the hands warm??? Any recommendations for mitts.

Mittens with a zip pocket for warm packs

Reactions: Joe and northsail

Mitchell Pearce

One of Us
Mar 9, 2018
IMG_2412.JPG
IMG_2414.JPG
D1 is working over in Castle Mountain atm, she has these mittens and has been fine with the temps so far.
It's important to keep your core warm. She has fake down vests (does clump together breathes better, also less cruel on animals) and good mid layers with a high neck.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
IMG_2412.JPG
IMG_2414.JPG
She has fake down vests (does clump together breathes better, also less cruel on animals) and good mid layers with a high neck.

if you buy your down from a responsible supplier like Patagonia, arcteryx and the like they will only buy down which is a by product of the food industry I.e the birds are sold as produce. I like this as it means we are using more of an animal which is sustainable.

primaloft is great (my mid layer is primal loft), as it’s more water resistant than down so can be a good option but it doesn’t compact as far as down. It’s a horses for courses thing. Personally I love my down for travelling as it’s much warmer but I don’t like skiing in down as I don’t want to be hot, just comfortable.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
if you buy your down from a responsible supplier like Patagonia, arcteryx and the like they will only buy down which is a by product of the food industry I.e the birds are sold as produce. I like this as it means we are using more of an animal which is sustainable.

primaloft is great (my mid layer is primal loft), as it’s more water resistant than down so can be a good option but it doesn’t compact as far as down. It’s a horses for courses thing. Personally I love my down for travelling as it’s much warmer but I don’t like skiing in down as I don’t want to be hot, just comfortable.

I should also add their is responsible and responsible, Patagonia famously ditched their European supplier of down as the found the supplier was using the birds for foie gras and they weren’t happy with this as they felt it didn’t meet their standards.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I should also add their is responsible and responsible, Patagonia famously ditched their European supplier of down as the found the supplier was using the birds for foie gras and they weren’t happy with this as they felt it didn’t meet their standards.
They also use a lot of recycled products.

Reactions: Telezacski

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Found these cool signs in our lodge

874E92BF-1F9F-408D-9A29-32186736483F.jpeg
I’ll be using this for all my ski.com friends phone numbers.

6B74CB4D-4A33-4316-BB3F-0B22ACF59C6D.jpeg

Sad but true

Reactions: chunky

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
FWIW one of those skiing with us at BW is an ICU doc that I work with. He was on that flight into Brisbane . 4 hrs past Honolulu cardiac arrest. CPR for an hour or so while the plane rerouted. He hasn’t heard the outcome of the patient but the flight certainly wasn’t diverted on a whim...

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
FWIW one of those skiing with us at BW is an ICU doc that I work with. He was on that flight into Brisbane . 4 hrs past Honolulu cardiac arrest. CPR for an hour or so while the plane rerouted. He hasn’t heard the outcome of the patient but the flight certainly wasn’t diverted on a whim...

I reckon that would be an airliners worse nightmare

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
I reckon that would be an airliners worse nightmare
Can’t imagine a resuscitation on the floor of a 787 would be a heap of laughs. Unless things have changed since I last had to use them, there’s the barest of gear in their Med kits. No doubt I’ll get the full story when we get back.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Can’t imagine a resuscitation on the floor of a 787 would be a heap of laughs. Unless things have changed since I last had to use them, there’s the barest of gear in their Med kits. No doubt I’ll get the full story when we get back.

shit no, there isn’t a lot of space anywhere on those planes

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Word is, he didn't survive. :(

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Went to the hockey last night. Kamloops Blazers v Kelowna Rockets in Kelowna. They played Friday in Kamloops and there was a bit of tension during the game. Come Saturday you could sense something, coming up. The Rockets put the first point on the board, but it was nearly one way traffic from there.
5 - 2 at the start of the 3rd period.
8 mins to go and the first of 12 fights started. At one point all players were going at it inc the goalies. There were only 4 players left on each bench at the final hooter. Talk about value for money.
The daughter said she’s not sure if she ever wants to go to another hockey match because it won’t be as good. Talk about a riot.
EB3C6CC4-2D83-4F87-9B5F-EEC13D570E27.jpeg
C988FB55-6958-45DA-96B6-EEAE82D83BC0.jpeg

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Went to the hockey last night. Kamloops Blazers v Kelowna Rockets in Kelowna. They played Friday in Kamloops and there was a bit of tension during the game. Come Saturday you could sense something, coming up. The Rockets put the first point on the board, but it was nearly one way traffic from there.
5 - 2 at the start of the 3rd period.
8 mins to go and the first of 12 fights started. At one point all players were going at it inc the goalies. There were only 4 players left on each bench at the final hooter. Talk about value for money.
The daughter said she’s not sure if she ever wants to go to another hockey match because it won’t be as good. Talk about a riot.
EB3C6CC4-2D83-4F87-9B5F-EEC13D570E27.jpeg
C988FB55-6958-45DA-96B6-EEAE82D83BC0.jpeg

we went to the game Friday, and it was pretty much as described, Kelowna had the best of it early then kamloops got on top.

I think Friday Kelowna played pretty much the last 10 minutes a player down. You could really see the niggle start so doesn’t surprise me it ended all in.

Last edited:

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
You are the snow GOD! Looks like sunny weather for Sun Peaks 20th Jan unless you can weave your magic again.
Don’t know where you are currently, but hoping you’re getting some white stuff.
Hasn’t really stopped for the 4 days we’ve been in Big White, pity the visibility is so poor. I reckon another 30cm over the last 36hrs or so, based on the hot tub cover measurement system.

Reactions: northsail

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
Gods country, Martinsville
Don’t know where you are currently, but hoping you’re getting some white stuff.
Hasn’t really stopped for the 4 days we’ve been in Big White, pity the visibility is so poor. I reckon another 30cm over the last 36hrs or so, based on the hot tub cover measurement system.
Currently at Panorama. Had a little POW at Kimberly but mainly groomers with +1. Not looking forward to the cold this week. Panorama looks different to 22years ago when last visited.
Keen for a ski with the extreme team on 20th. You in??

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Currently at Panorama. Had a little POW at Kimberly but mainly groomers with +1. Not looking forward to the cold this week. Panorama looks different to 22years ago when last visited.
So .......... You know I'm going to ski out all the POW before you boys arrive.......... right ?

Freddie's is just going to a sea of tight turn tracks, my brothers. :evil:

Reactions: northsail

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
So .......... You know I'm going to ski out all the POW before you boys arrive.......... right ?

Freddie's is just going to a sea of tight turn tracks, my brothers. :evil:

your lucky it’s topping back up for you after our visit

Reactions: Astro66

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Yep I’m in, just for 1 day though, we are out on the 21st.

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
Gods country, Martinsville
20200115_155043.jpg
Good ski today in cool conditions.
Started out at about -20 and -16 by mid afternoon. Temps seem to be milder here than other areas.
Explored Sun Bowl area in the sun this afternoon. Snow was squeaky and still lots of pow to be found.
Warming conditions for Thursday and Friday will be welcomed for our final two days at Panorama.
Resort has certainly expanded over 20 years since our last visit and we will be back again in the future.

Harper11

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Brisbane

poor guy only 38, father of three

meningitis the cause

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass