1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Review Canada accommodation positive reviews

Discussion in 'Canada' started by zac150, Jan 20, 2020.

1. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

As per a recent post I thought it may be an idea to post some positive reviews on Canada accommodation options. But I think their needs to be some basic rules:

1) No negative reviews, if you feel accommodation didn’t match the description maybe contact the original poster.
    2) be objective this is a resource to help people book so thinks like parking access to shops and slopes are useful. Staff change especially in ski resorts.
    3) no commercial arrangements, don’t review your own place.
    4) don’t publish people’s personal details, if the owner is okay pass on details by PM.
    5) if people provide additional information on accommodation, please add it to the original once verified. Idea is to have a thread of reviews.

Booking sites for Canada.

Airbnb
    Ownerdirect https://www.ownerdirect.com
    Allura direct https://www.alluradirect.com
    The lodging company https://www.lodgingcompany.com/
    Bear country https://www.sunpeakscondos.com
    Sunpeaks http://www.topofthemountain.ca/

#1 zac150, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  2. zac150

Maple leaf chalet silverstar.

located on the edge of the village it’s about 250 to 300m walk down a quiet lane to get to the snow in the morning. There are other lifts that get you closer on the ski home.

super cute but a little battered around the edges, we loved it as it had a real cottage feel but if your after 5 stars this isn’t for you.

2 bedroom, ski room and spa.

3. zac150

Whistler - blackcomb lodge.

located on the Whistler walk about 300 - 400m from the gondola on the first square. There is a small supermarket in the square as well as a coffee shop and chemist.

the lodge is neat and tidy albeit a little older; we stayed in a studio loft which has a bath, small kitchenette under the stairs which we were able to cook nice dinners in, a king size bed and two singles beds in the loft. I’ve stayed here twice, once on a trip with friends and once with the family.

The lodge is in the heart of things which made ducking in and out easy, on the boys trip we were close to restaurants and bars, on this trip going out with the family or picking up bits from the shops was easy.

parking is under the lodge

my only comment is that their isn’t a table to eat in.

#3 zac150, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Sage Oya, chunky and Jonathan_P like this.
  4. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Our go to in Sun Peaks is www.topofthemountain.ca

always fantastic service while you are there and will be flexible with booking requirements and offer return discounts as well

5. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Just checked into Delta Whistler Village Suites. So far it’s very nice. 10 minute walk to the Gondola in the village. Haven’t figured out where anything else is yet.

Got a very good early bird deal through Skimax.

6. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Tip : for the last few years Delta have ski valet at the bottom of the slopes, probably have it this year as well. They don't seem to tell people. They must pay by the number of people using it. Go to the shed at the bottom of the slopes, between excalibur gondola and fitzsimmons chair. Tell them you are from the Delta and they store your skis overnight.

7. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The ski hire near reception stores them, but I will look for the shed thanks.

zac150 likes this.
  8. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

You didn’t mention the smoke alarm going off every 5 minutes!

9. zac150

i didn’t want to mention your cooking skills ;) I kept trying to tell you the food was done when that alarm goes offLOLLOLLOL

Lady Penelope likes this.
  10. Lady Penelope

Ok, while I’m waiting at Vancouver Airport for my (delayed) Air Canada flight home (they really can’t get it right, can they?), here is my 10 cents worth.

From two years ago;

Banff: Moose Hotel and Suites. Just lovely. Great hot tubs on the roof, and roomy family rooms - easily accommodated five of us. Very modern, luxurious, and well situated. Their 2br suite had a large living room with a kitchenette (no stove unfortunately) with two generous sized bedrooms off it. Included ski storage and a nice restaurant downstairs. The shuttle bus for the local ski resorts left pretty much outside the door.

Sun Peaks; 2 years ago when there was five of us, we stayed at Fireside Lodge, centrally located in the village. Our 2br apartment was pleasant, if a bit tired. Full kitchen facilities, 2 double beds in one bedroom and a queen bed in the other, with one bathroom. Parking underneath. Ski in and out. Free wifi

Most recently the boys and I (3 of us) stayed at Coast Sundance and Hearthstone Lodge. Both are bang smack in the middle of the village. The Comfort Room in the former was small but adequate, apart from the bar fridge. It included a 2 burner stovetop, microwave, and dishwasher-less kitchen. I found the room to be very warm, and had to have the window open the whole time. Nice hot tub, and secure ski/snowboard storage. Helpful reception staff. Great price too, $144 AUD per night through Travelplan. Good wifi. I preferred the studio loft apartment we had at Hearthstone Lodge, which included the living area and kitchen downstairs (complete with fold-out comfortable Murphy bed) and loft upstairs with queen bed. Roomy, with dishwasher and full size fridge. Around $200AUD a night through Travelplan. Secure ski storage and a short skate to the lifts. Parking under the building. Slow wifi was the only downside (although not as bad as Coast Blackcomb Suites at Whistler).

Whistler: during our visit 2 years ago we stayed at Coast Blackcomb Suites (since renamed). Right up the top of Blackcomb and ski in/ski out. We had a 2br suite, which included a full kitchen, dishwasher, and cooked breakfast with freshly made waffles. The only downside was the very slow wifi and the hot water sometimes running out.

11. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

We also stayed here on our trip in one of the studio apartments and thought it was great for the price.

Agree that its getting a bit old but had everything we needed to self-cater when we wanted, and had plenty of space for the two of us. The bathroom plumbing was a bit temperamental but didn't cause any major problems.

We also liked the lodge's proximity to the bus (Skylynx) drop off point (under 50 metres) which meant we didn't have to drag our bags far.

No drying room was about the only thing missing that i would have liked. Will likely stay there again next trip.

zac150 likes this.
  12. Lady Penelope

I forgot to mention the accommodation we had at Silver Star on our recent Canada trip. This was probably the best of the lot. A large studio apartment at Silver Creek lodge. This came with a full kitchen (oven and stove top as well as microwave, dishwasher, and FULL SIZE FRIDGE - some of you will understand the capitals there!). It was a very nice apartment with a lovely gas fireplace, queen size bed, and two bunk beds, so it easily accommodated the two boys and me. A decent sized bathroom with a full bath was also nice. Silver Creek Lodge is ski-out and (with a small amount of shuffling), ski-in, and is located very close to the village and gondola. The only downside was the roof-top hot tub. The elevator opens directly onto the roof, so once out of the spa (and spending a bit of time replacing the cover) you have to wait in the cold for the lift to arrive. Given it was in the minus 20s while I was there, it got a bit nippy in my bathers :p. Good ski storage, staffed reception desk, and a reasonable fitness room too.

aazz and Sage Oya like this.
  13. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Stayed for the 4th time at the Pan Pacific Village Center. Was upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment (with a view of the fire station :)) Very good, breakfast every morning included. Locker at other Pan Pacific so only need to carry skis about 50 m to gondola. Also a $150 room credit which we used at Dub Lihn Gate Irish Pub.
    PT

zac150 likes this.
  14. Lady Penelope

Assume Whistler?

15. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yes sorry

16. scottski

scottski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The Post Hotel Lake Louise.
    Much nicer than the Chateau, food is absolutely first class.
    Every room has its own open fireplace which is set ready to light after returning from skiing.
    Private driver to take you to the ski hill or shuttle at set times.
    Pool and spas are great looking over the snow.
    Afternoon tea looking over the ice skating rink each afternoon from 3:30 til 5.
    A little expensive

GlendaN, sly_karma and zac150 like this.
  17. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I had dinner there ~20 years ago. Delicious and classy.

18. scottski

The view whilst taking after noon tea

Lady Penelope, zac150 and AWJ like this.
  19. scottski

Last night of a fantastic ski trip.
    Powder day at lake Louise.
    We skied on our new hand made powder skis. They worked really well in powder, bumps and fast groomers. Fun ski.
    Just lighting the fire in our room at the Post for the last time before we head off for a fine dining experience in the hotel restaurant.
    Sydney here we come.
    Home on Tuesday

GlendaN, sly_karma and zac150 like this.
  20. GlendaN

GlendaN One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I can also recommend The Post Hotel at Lake Louise while its definitely at the top of the market rate wise it's worth it for the comfort and ambience. The private bus to the ski hill is super convenient and it's within walking distance of the Village and various dining options including the attached pub and other bistro type restaurants. The hotel dining room is fabulous but its fine dining so best for that special occasion dinner. Photo shows the Post welcome on arrival.

Attached Files:

sly_karma and Lady Penelope like this.