Canada Goose. Worth the money?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by XTREMO, Mar 20, 2017.

1. XTREMO

XTREMO Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Tempted to pull the trigger on buying one of these jackets while I'm here in Canada. Anyone own one? Any comparable wares with less hefty price tags?

I really like the fact that they're (apparently) so warm that they negate the need to layer up.

2. Shredderman

Shredderman Active Member

I got one in Vancouver, the one I got is ridiculously warm. It was -20 to -30 when we were at Revelstoke and I was walking around town with a t shirt and the jacket and was warm as toast. I wouldn't wear the one I got skiing as its a bit bulky but fantastic for walking around a resort etc (and Vancouver which was also very cold). I really like it, warm and understated, wife wants one now.

I actually think it will be too warm for wearing in Oz though.

3. XTREMO

XTREMO Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah not for skiing. And not for Australia.

What model did you get?

4. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Looks like a fashion label. Any outdoor clothing brand will be cheaper - especially at this time of year online from US.

5. Shredderman

I think it is called Chateau in Navy. There are so many variations in style and sizing, definitely worth trying on as you don't want it too big or small.

6. Shredderman

Yep, they definitely have moved in the fashion direction but but the coats are very well constructed and have a long history with a very good reputation for quality.

7. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

There is an element of "fashion label" these days but ... it's very good kit.

8. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

This. Very popular with swedes. Its just a nice down jacket thats heavy duty and looks the part for wearing everywhere for winter.
    Pricey but it should last for years.

Shredderman and Gimp like this.
  9. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Www.peterglenn.com does canada goose.

Check their online pricing before you commit.
    Also look at PG through Amazon. Even cheaper, especially freight

10. luvthabumps

luvthabumps Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Basically a $1000 jacket. I think they are leaning more towards a "label" now and you can get better value for money. To be honest, Vancouver is just not that cold and you'd have to ask yourself how often you expect to regularly be in temps of -10C. I've acclimatised pretty quickly and was getting around Vancouver in January with a t-shirt and a HH puffer on top unless it was super cold. Same for most of the weekends at Whistler to be honest. In Vancouver, a puffer and a raincoat and gumboots is more appropriate ;)

They never seem to go on sale either because they are in such high demand. We went into Dept stores in January during the sales as mrs LTB was considering getting one for our daughter but she decided she'd rather spend the money on something else and we ended up with a long North Face down jacket for less than half the price and is also super warm. They're very commonplace in in Vancouver so either people are making way too much money or there is a huge market in cheap knock offs. Apparently they are highly sought after in China as well and much more expensive over there so visitors to Canada will buy 2 or 3 of them and take them home for family and friends.

11. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

He's in berlin iirc

12. luvthabumps

luvthabumps Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Oh, he mentioned being here in Canada in the OP so I thought he was here. Euro winter might be a bit colder.

Probably can still get something cheaper over there that would do the job just as well. Skin a bear maybe?

13. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

The arcteryx of big coats ....

Zeroz likes this.
  14. azzski

azzski Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

You certainly see a lot of locals wearing Canada Goose in places like Toronto or Calgary.

Just don't wear it in downtown Detroit - you'll get rolled.

dawooduck likes this.
  15. Snow Blowey

Season Pass Gold

When i went to NY a while back it was deadly cold when we got there. I walked into a jeans shop and bought a very solid North Face puffy for around $300 AUS - and that was when the dollar was around $0.50. So i'd suggest you'll find better value elsewhere.

That North Face puffy is unbeatable though. Other than in the mountains i can't wear it anywhere else in Australia. Nice to be walking around in -15 with only a t-shirt underneath.

16. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

At prices up to $1770 for a jacket you'd want it to be enough with a t-shirt. Hell, I'd be wanting it to serve me coffee, take selfies of me with the CG logo prominently displayed and launder itself.

LMB likes this.
  17. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Never been tempted by a down jacket in all the time I've lived in Canada, and I've spent many of those years working outdoors. I admit that I do run hot, don't need a lot of layers. To want down, I'd need a situation where I was to be outside for long periods of time and relatively inactive. I did strike that in Lake Louise back in December working on a race in -35 weather; all I did there was purchase an inexpensive oversized Columbia jacket and wore it right over the top of my normal ski wear. I run into those conditions maybe once every five years.

18. absentskier

absentskier Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I just can't fathom paying those sort of prices. Ridiculous IMO.

I do have an excellent Mont down jacket (have had it for 15 years probably) which I do wear in the Northern Hemisphere with a tshirt under. Great for going out for dinner because you only need to strip off the one layer.

19. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Yes very pricey but much more heavy duty than a classic downy, canvas kinda material rather than thin nylon.

20. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

If you had to buy one coat ....

Shredderman likes this.
  21. XTREMO

XTREMO Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

FOMO snookered me. Only had 3 days in Toronto. Was 40% cheaper than in Europe. Bought one. Comments here are on the money. It probably is possible to find similar warmth in a much cheaper jacket. And CG has definitely become a bit of a fashion brand. However I think there's a reason why they've recently IPO'd successfully. They've totally nailed their execution with a super functional warm, sturdy product that also happens to be pretty stylish. Ultimately that's why I bought it. In the limited time I had to make a decision, I found other warm jackets but they all looked very utilitarian with big pockets etc. Was worth paying a premium for the combo of style and function. Will use for decades.

Next time wifey tells me she's "saved" 300€ on a pair of shoes, I'll probably need to bite my tongue......

22. Snow Blowey

Season Pass Gold

"style" is getting about in what ever makes you comfy and warm and coping smart arse comments from those with chattering teeth about looking like a marshmallow man.

23. XTREMO

XTREMO Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I'm pretty sure that's function, not style

24. azzski

azzski Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Function can be style. SB's style just happens to be padded sumo suit! ;)

Snow Blowey likes this.
  25. Snow Blowey

Season Pass Gold

Style is a merky word with many possible interpretations.

The marketeers view sort of uses it interchangeably with fashion. You look stylish in something that is fashionable. But i don't like that interpretation because fashion changes. in my world it's more stylish to rise above what someone else tells you is stylish. It's stylish to be functional.

Each for their own.

26. XTREMO

XTREMO Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Not really. One can look stylish wearing something that's totally out of fashion.

What you're describing is something totally different; being comfortable wearing whatever the hell you want and being as comfortable as you desire with zero regard for aesthetics, fashion, trend, style or what others may think. That's to be admired but it shouldn't be confused with being stylish/fashionable.

Just my 2c