1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Canada Resort closures due to COVID 19

Discussion in 'Canada' started by sly_karma, Mar 18, 2020.

1. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Following resorts have announced closures, either temporary or season-ending. The BC govt has asked for all gatherings of fifty or more persons to cease. Will make it hard for any resort to stay open with a good conscience. Expect to see them all closed by end of this week.

Apex
    Big White
    Cypress Mountain
    Fernie
    Grouse Mountain
    Kicking Horse
    Kimberley
    Manning Park
    Mt Seymour
    Mt Washington
    Nakiska
    Norquay
    Red Mtn
    Revelstoke
    Whitewater
    Silver Star
    Sun Peaks
    Whistler-Blackcomb

2. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Staying the **** at home. Ski Pass: Gold

Can't like :cry:

skiflat likes this.
  3. sly_karma

Yeah. Wanted to go one last day today but I have to take this isolation thing seriously.

4. Chalkie

Chalkie A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I just got an email from Vail Resorts confirming all Vail Resorts owned properties are closing for the season, with Whistler-Blackcomb (and Breckenridge and Heavenly) under review to re-open in late April / early May, depending on conditions.

There's an ambiguous FAQ answer about season passes, saying the "non-refundable / non-transferable" terms will be reviewed in the coming weeks.

5. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Vail central command closed down their operations here for a week here, sent the workers home and it's glorious autumn weather and you cannot get much more isolated than PB, Hotham, Flat Creek.

6. Alex.C

Alex.C One of Us

Everything remaining open in Alberta now closed due to provincial order, this includes Sunshine Village, Lake Louise, Castle Mountain etc, of note other ropeways such as the Sulfur Mountain gondola are closed too.

7. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

8. sly_karma

Still open - sort of - is Powder King, 1000 km northeast of Vancouver. They're closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays anyway, but their website says they're still planning to open on Thursday. They've led the BC snowpack standings all season long and are reporting a superb 417 cm base. And they're way inland so the snow is dry, not coastal shampoo powder.

Also hanging in there is Hudson Bay Mountain near Smithers, about 5 hours west of Powder King. Shames Mountain near Terrace announced closure yesterday.

9. Chalkie

I heard an interesting conspiracy story last night about the Whistler-Blackcomb closure - accommodation bookings, rentals and advance lift ticket purchases were at 20% of normal for this time of year. It is allegedly better financially for WB to be closed and not incurring operating costs than it is to be open at 80% below standard operating numbers.

I don't know how reliable the source is and as I said it strikes me as borderline conspiracy nutter stuff. But it did get me wondering (particularly given that WB was the first to blink in B.C.) ...

10. teleroo

teleroo Ignored Member Ski Pass: Gold

Also, if the majority of "Australian" cv cases are overseas acquired, it does make me think the supposed exponential growth rate observed in Aus really refelects exp growth overseas, with cases being imported (and hopefully detected and isolated).

Not convinced Australia yet has native exponential growth.

11. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

Yep, I could see that last week. The numbers of folks on the mountain were in free fall, even before resorts closing was a thing.

Snow fall has been a bit underwhelming in March too thus far. Add in a pandemic, and pulling that trigger wouldn't have been hard at all. At least I got a good 10 or so weeks here.

cold wombat likes this.
  12. sly_karma

FWIW the Vail group announced all its resorts at once. Still could be argued it was a business decision, their model across all properties depends on high occupancy.

cold wombat and Chalkie like this.
  13. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

But it shows that the conspiracy is garbage.

Chalkie likes this.
  14. sly_karma

They usually are. (Except the ones that only a tiny few of us woke people know about).

cold wombat, skifree and Chalkie like this.
  15. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

It nay not be the reason but I’m sure itmade the decision a whole lot easier

cold wombat and Chalkie like this.
  16. sly_karma

Powder King and Hudson Bay Mountain are still open! Snow school and shuttle bus are shut down but lifts are running. In theory I could stay with my SIL and BIL in Smithers and get a few more runs in at Hudson Bay Mtn to finish of the season - once I'm off isolation of course (today is day 4). It's a mere 1100 km drive...

skifree, dawooduck, Crystal and 2 others like this.
  17. Crystal

or earn your turns up the road

18. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Self Isolate by going up on your own or with a mate with snowmobile. Guaranteed fist tracks.
    As you've said, biggest snowpack in ages, someone needs do that base some justice. I think I know just the guy ;)

skifree and dawooduck like this.
  19. bigwhite-rameok

bigwhite-rameok Hard Yards

Sly - Have heard that Mt. Baldy near you (kinda) is remaining open. Nothing posted on their website about being closed. So bummed about Biggie closing. Was shaping up to be the most epic spring season skiing in a decade or more. Guess the only reason to head up there now is to clean out the condo for the season. I wish they'd turn off the darn webcams - It's just making me sad.

20. sly_karma

Yes I think Baldy is still open, but have announced Sunday is the last day of the season. Wanna go tomorrow?

21. sly_karma

The resort is telling people to stay off the runs as staff do the close down work - removing signage and ropes and then cutting drainage trenches to facilitate snow melt. Sure you could drop into double blacks - they let those melt naturally - but no there's no patrol and a large snowpack in warming temps. Isothermic avalanches happen right around this time of year.

Crystal likes this.
  22. Crystal

yeah yeah...... the voice of reason.

sly_karma likes this.
  23. KneeDeep

KneeDeep One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If you go does that mean that Darwin's theory of evolution is proven?

24. FNM

FNM Early Days

Panorama closed last Monday (about a month early). Jobs finished then too - would have been ongoing. Thankfully, we put some money away over the course of the season. Others not so lucky. Heading back to Australia in a week and will return to Canada whenever things settle and jobs become available. Don’t think it will be summer, but hopefully next winter!

Missed Fernie and Apex but got to experience LL, Sunshine, Revelstoke, Whitewater and Red, as well as my home base, Panorama. Visited many other places - Whistler, Kamloops, Kimberley, Banff, Nelson and Rossland. Have been hanging for summer hiking and biking, but doubt things will have settled in time for this summer. I’m (pretty) sure things will be settled by summer 2021, so I’ll get my chance. Disappointing to heading home in these circumstances but things could be a hell of a lot worse!

Chalkie and sly_karma like this.
  25. sly_karma

Well it is all over. No lifts turning in western Canada. Unsurprisingly, people flocked to holdouts like Smithers and Powder King and they were no longer able to maintain social distancing.

Backcountry terrain is vast and wide of course, but again the popular/accessible areas have been heavily visited by people taking advantage of mild sunny spring weather, unexpected time off and deep snowpacks. Still, it's a huge province (roughly same area as NSW + VIC) that is almost all mountains) with an enormous set of backcountry possibilities for those with the equipment, training and fitness to exploit it.

gareth_oau likes this.
  26. essjaywhy

essjaywhy One of Us

^ yeah, the consequences multiply : dont trigger a SAR situation ... or end up in the Emergency hospital

27. Chalkie

Well, Vail Resorts was good to its promise of reviewing the situation with season passes - here's a link to what I just received and posted in Snow Talk: Epic Pass Season 19-20 Credit

sly_karma and Crystal like this.