Canada Road Trip next year Q's

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
I'm sure Lady P that although +1 isn't driving, you can use your womanly way to convince him that he needs to fit the chains if required...........all in the name of harmony, happy wife, happy life etc......;)
That could possibly appeal to him :)

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
I'm in Calgery from 25th Dec to Jan 20th looping from Banff through Revelstoke, KH then down and back via Red, Fernie etc. Looking at car hire. 2 of us. If we get a Toyota Corolla, Camry or similar are we getting my 190cm ski coffin & 160cm boardbag in? I drive a massive ute in Aus so no issues here but ute is about double the price to hire for that length of time in Canada.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
I'm in Calgery from 25th Dec to Jan 20th looping from Banff through Revelstoke, KH then down and back via Red, Fernie etc. Looking at car hire. 2 of us. If we get a Toyota Corolla, Camry or similar are we getting my 190cm ski coffin & 160cm boardbag in? I drive a massive ute in Aus so no issues here but ute is about double the price to hire for that length of time in Canada.
Either hire with racks or buy cheap racks from Canadian Tyre.

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
Either hire with racks or buy cheap racks from Canadian Tyre.
That could work only issue is we just take that bag each so if it snows all our clothes get wet - a workable option just might have to think about taking a spare bag for our clothes and keep it in the car

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
I just got a quote from a place in Calgary (SANTA FE OR SIMILAR or similar) CAD $999 + 200ish fees per month
That's a mid sized SUV, would fit heaps in it.
Seems pretty cheap to me! How does this compare to what you have found??

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
That could work only issue is we just take that bag each so if it snows all our clothes get wet - a workable option just might have to think about taking a spare bag for our clothes and keep it in the car
Just buy a great big soft disposable bag and shove your clothes in it. Discard before leaving.
Is it easy to hire wth racks from Calgary? this option does't seem to come up on most hire sites
Dunno, but Canadian Tire is everywhere.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I just got a quote from a place in Calgary (SANTA FE OR SIMILAR or similar) CAD $999 + 200ish fees per month

Make sure you consuder the insurance options.

Your travel insurance isnt sufficient

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
That seems bloody great have been seeing $1500-$2000 for my 26 days

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Would still have to be road worthy to rent.
If the heater was knackered I don't know if it would pass a roadworthy??...........No heater = Boo

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
All I care about is traction and space. I can live without heaters (probably)...
They replied saying 3rd party liability is included but CDW is 25 a day.... significant!
But they guy also said that my travel insurance should cover me in place of CDW

So RE travel insurance. It doesn't cover rental cars??? I thought this would normally be included.

I have some feelers out with some other Calgary truck leasing companies, I'll see what they come back with.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
All I care about is traction and space. I can live without heaters (probably)...
They replied saying 3rd party liability is included but CDW is 25 a day.... significant!
But they guy also said that my travel insurance should cover me in place of CDW

So RE travel insurance. It doesn't cover rental cars??? I thought this would normally be included.

I have some feelers out with some other Calgary truck leasing companies, I'll see what they come back with.

your travel insurance will cover TPL and will also cover the first $5-7k of damage tot he vehicle, but if you have say a $50k vehicle, you are up for the rest yourself.

also, if yourely on travel insurance, you have to foot the bills and then claim a refund afterwards.

CDW is a necessary evil, so try and find one that covers it, or cough up the extra $25/d

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Unless they drive a commercial vehicle, Canadians have little clue about chains. They're just not used for passenger cars and light trucks. So be careful if asking for advice about sizing or usage; sales staff will almost certainly have no personal experience.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Looking to do a road trip in western Canada as our next OS jaunt. Was looking to do Boeing in Everett as our first stop. Any tips or ideas on what i should check out on the way to Sun Peaks??
Wifey and I have been to Vancouver several times and skied Whistler, so not looking at this option, more inland attractions/suggestions?? Does not have to be all ski related, although it will be a late Dec - Jan trip.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Looking to do a road trip in western Canada as our next OS jaunt. Was looking to do Boeing in Everett as our first stop. Any tips or ideas on what i should check out on the way to Sun Peaks??
Wifey and I have been to Vancouver several times and skied Whistler, so not looking at this option, more inland attractions/suggestions?? Does not have to be all ski related, although it will be a late Dec - Jan trip.
In my experience one of the problems with Canadian winter road trips is that Canadians go into hibernation and most of the tourist traps are closed.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Seattle has lots to see:
  • Museum of Flight
  • Pike Place Market (historic and touristy but still a true working fish and produce market)
  • Experience Music Project (music history museum - Jimi Hendrix gallery a must if you're a fan)
  • old character neighbourhoods like Ballard, Queen Anne and Fremont
  • waterfront areas along Elliot Bay and Lake Union
  • Space Needle

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
And there are a couple of options for driving from Seattle to SP. You can of course go back the way you came, across the border at Sumas and follow hwy 1 and then 5 to SP. That's almost all freeway, and the quickest. You could also go inland from Seattle via I-90 and Snoqualmie Pass, several small ski areas up there. Or east from Everett on 2, Stevens Pass. The ski area of the same name has more vert and acreage than the Snoqualmie areas, and better terrain. Both routes join at Wenatchee, where you could also have a ski at the local favourite, Mission Ridge. Then north up 97 and into the Canadian Okanagan, minor detours only to Apex, BW and SS. Longer route but has the makings of a skiing road trip if you're so inclined, a week would disappear very easily.

KneeDeep

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2004
Canberra
Seattle has lots to see:
  • Museum of Flight
  • Pike Place Market (historic and touristy but still a true working fish and produce market)
  • Experience Music Project (music history museum - Jimi Hendrix gallery a must if you're a fan)
  • old character neighbourhoods like Ballard, Queen Anne and Fremont
  • waterfront areas along Elliot Bay and Lake Union
  • Space Needle
You forgot Chihuly glass exhibition just near the space needle. Boeing at Everett is a must see.

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
your travel insurance will cover TPL and will also cover the first $5-7k of damage tot he vehicle, but if you have say a $50k vehicle, you are up for the rest yourself.

also, if yourely on travel insurance, you have to foot the bills and then claim a refund afterwards.

CDW is a necessary evil, so try and find one that covers it, or cough up the extra $25/d

Turns out you are right, this particular company said if you don't take CDW, then the car is fully UNINSURED.
My normal travel insurance company will pay up to $5000 excess only
So its not really a option if we are driving a 20,000-30,000 car

I'm still looking...

Reactions: gareth_oau

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Turns out you are right, this particular company said if you don't take CDW, then the car is fully UNINSURED.

I'm still looking...
Let us know how you progress. Its an issue many are keen to follow.

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
You forgot Chihuly glass exhibition just near the space needle. Boeing at Everett is a must see.
You can get a combined ticket for the Space Needle and the Chihuly exhibition. Friend and I started with the Chihuly exhibition mid-afternoon, then went up the Space Needle for the last 45min or so of daylight. Had dusk and an hour of dark up there - lots of fab pics - then came back down and did all of the outside part of the Chihuly exhibition again, by night. Seeing it in daylight and dark is like two different exhibitions!

In the same area as the Space Needle and Chihuly exhibition, there's also the Science Museum, the already mentioned Experience Music Project/Hendrix museum, though note that the name has now changed to MoPop, (Museum of Pop Culture). Access all three attractions by the monorail from downtown.

Other Seattle things worth putting on your list:-

A half day trip on the ferry across to Bainbridge Island
The iFly indoor skydiving centre
Seattle Underground tour. (Note that there are two different tours, the daytime one is very 'G' rated, the nighttime one more "Australian" [ie, normal adult] rated)

A bit out of town is the Wolf Haven International wolf sanctuary, between Seattle and Portland

And sly_karma mentioned skiing at Stevens Pass, but make sure you visit/stay at Leavenworth, (no, not the military prison - that's in Kansas). Leavenworth is an absolute trip all on its own! Here's a LINK to a post covering both Stevens Pass and Leavenworth.

bill76

Hard Yards
Jul 10, 2011

I'm still looking...

Thanks! I've been in touch with them too, they have SUVs with snow tyres (not M+S) which was attractive until I read this...

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
The CDW is 25/day which will be close to 800 for our trip.
I haven't written them off yet, ill compare with more rental companies first

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Leavenworth was a must-do when my kids were younger. Now they're adults with kids of their own, they still like it a lot. Along with all the Bavarian kitsch comes locally brewed beer and locally grown wines for tasting. It's a superb example of what a small community can do when its primary employer (timber mill in this case) shuts down. They didn't whinge or demand that government somehow make it all better, they looked at their available resources and came up with their own solution.

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
^^The first big blow that Leavenworth took was the railway headquarters relocating further up the line, to Wenatchee, during the 1920s.

And HERE is a great piece on the town's remodelling - from virtually a ghost town, to the amazing Bavarian alpine village it is today, attracting over 2 million visitors a year.

maxresdefault.jpg

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Hi. Not really sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but I don't want to start a new thread. I hope someone may be able to help.

Booked flights on Qantas and at the end of our trip we leave Calgary and fly to LAX (Terminal 2) then have several hours stopover before leaving at "Terminal 0" on our ticket (to Auckland).

I have been to LAX once when I was 18 so I have not a good memory of it. Is Terminal 0 = TBIT?

Can we go between terminals in transit? Or do we have to clear immigration?
(Seems silly to have to do that only to fly a few hours later)

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Never heard of Terminal 0. If it is Tom Bradley that place has improved immensely over the last 5 or so years. It is quite civilised.

You will clear US customs and immigration in Calgary, so there is no problem moving around the airport, or even out into the big wide world. The flight is just like a domestic flight. USA does not believe in transit - everyone who lands has to go through customs and immigration. Uncivilised barstools.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
yup...you are free to walk around with the general public and then you'll have to clear security again when you head to your next flight :(

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Has anyone been to/through Leavenworth between Christmas and New Year, and is the light show still on??

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Hi. Not really sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but I don't want to start a new thread. I hope someone may be able to help.

Booked flights on Qantas and at the end of our trip we leave Calgary and fly to LAX (Terminal 2) then have several hours stopover before leaving at "Terminal 0" on our ticket (to Auckland).

I have been to LAX once when I was 18 so I have not a good memory of it. Is Terminal 0 = TBIT?

Can we go between terminals in transit? Or do we have to clear immigration?
(Seems silly to have to do that only to fly a few hours later)
Your luggage will be checked all the way through from Calgary, and you should also have boarding passes for all legs. You won't have to worry about luggage and check in in LAX but, as Crystal says, you will have to deal with security.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Has anyone been to/through Leavenworth between Christmas and New Year, and is the light show still on??
Book NOW if you want accoms in Leavenworth in that period, might already be too late and you'll have to stay in Wenatchee and drive over (under 30 minutes).

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Book NOW if you want accoms in Leavenworth in that period, might already be too late and you'll have to stay in Wenatchee and drive over (under 30 minutes).
Looking at Dec 2018, so plenty of time. Just making sure they don't turn the lights off on Boxing Day

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
The lights stay up until Valentine's Day - longer if there's too much snow to get the cherry-pickers in to take them down.

You should still be able to get December accommodation, though probably not on the December weekends prior to Christmas, which are pretty much booked out in perpetuity, by families that have now been heading for the Leavenworth Christmas Lighting Festival for several generations.

Wenatchee, or Cashmere, (halfway between). But try the Evergreen Inn in Leavenworth first. It's a basic, but good motel, which I'm happy to recommend. And only a sixty second walk to everything.

evergreen-inn.jpg

Reactions: sly_karma

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Your luggage will be checked all the way through from Calgary, and you should also have boarding passes for all legs. You won't have to worry about luggage and check in in LAX but, as Crystal says, you will have to deal with security.
Cheers!
So... We pass US immigration.. In Canada??!!
Before we get on the flight?

Reactions: Crystal

KneeDeep

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2004
Canberra
Yes, correct, if you stay up in the terminal and transit above ground level then no security check, did this early this year. In LAX that is.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Or east from Everett on 2, Stevens Pass. The ski area of the same name has more vert and acreage than the Snoqualmie areas, and better terrain. Both routes join at Wenatchee, where you could also have a ski at the local favourite, Mission Ridge. Then north up 97 and into the Canadian Okanagan, minor detours only to Apex, BW and SS. Longer route but has the makings of a skiing road trip if you're so inclined, a week would disappear very easily.
How scenic is this route??
Hire car prices out of Seattle for 28 days or so, are scaring me. Only looked at 2 hire car mobs so far. Booking through Hertz UK, they are asking for UK2500 Pounds for mid size SUV AWD.........:eek:

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
How scenic is this route??

The standard response is: "it's the PNW, everything is scenic!" Fly across the region and you'll understand why - it's basically all mountains. Anyway the route described has good variety - water views around Seattle, coastal mountain pass (Stevens), rain shadow semi-desert Columbia Valley (Wenatchee northward), lakes surrounded by mountains (Okanagan), forested high plateau as you cross into the grassland valleys of the Thompson and Nicola on the approach to SP. Longer route than the straight shot north from Seattle on I-5 and then the Transcanada and Coquihalla to Kamloops and SP, but more variety and more ski options along the way. Although the coastal route does take you quite close to Mt Baker, a day or two there would not be a bad thing at all.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
The standard response is: "it's the PNW, everything is scenic!" Fly across the region and you'll understand why - it's basically all mountains. Anyway the route described has good variety - water views around Seattle, coastal mountain pass (Stevens), rain shadow semi-desert Columbia Valley (Wenatchee northward), lakes surrounded by mountains (Okanagan), forested high plateau as you cross into the grassland valleys of the Thompson and Nicola on the approach to SP. Longer route than the straight shot north from Seattle on I-5 and then the Transcanada and Coquihalla to Kamloops and SP, but more variety and more ski options along the way. Although the coastal route does take you quite close to Mt Baker, a day or two there would not be a bad thing at all.
Thanks @sly_karma , was thinking strapping the skis on at Stevens Pass for a day. Red is unlikely to see our money, due to being too steep for +1, +2, +3 :(. BW would be more their thing.
I have flown from Kelowna to Van, a couple of years ago on a nice summer day, so I understand your description, just didn't know what it would like in winter, and any road closures etc. You suggested it, so it must be good :thumbs:.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
There's one road that closes every winter, highway 20 or the North Cascades Highway. Goes from the coast midway between Seattle and the border roughly eastward across Washington. Its crossing of the Cascades has to be one of the most spectacular mountain roads you'll ever see. Glaciers, lakes, rainforest, towering peaks and tortured hairpin bends everywhere. It gets so much snow in winter that the authorities decided long ago not to fight it but simply close it between November and May. I've been through shortly after reopening and the snow banks still there were stupendously high.

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
They do get some snow - and resultant avalanches - on the North Cascades Highway...

north-cascades-2-630x472.jpg

North_Cascades_hwy_avalanche_zones_t810.jpg

But then they call in the big guns...

9672f658-d7da-11e4-8dd6-4df606469ca8-780x518.jpg

And machinery...

C-w8h8dXoAEua2F_1493678002484_9341607_ver1.0.jpg

5716637184_bbb2c6f919_b.jpg

And soon it's all clear again...

n_cascades_hwy.jpeg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using