1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Canada snow forecasting

Discussion in 'Canada' started by zac150, Dec 14, 2019.

1. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Ok so I’m following the Whistler and Sunpeaks threads with some interest as I arrive in country on the 30th.

It seems snow or lack of (in Whistler especially) is topical on both threads albeit with some excellent forecasting coming through.

I thought it may be beneficial to start a thread to merge some of the forecasting, especially for those of us unable to pick up the longer range forecasts.

Roymond likes this.
  2. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Do you want individual resort forecasts to keep going in those individual threads, or put them all here? Coastal BC, interior BC and the Rockies will often have different snow situations, so I'm not sure I follow about "merging some of the forecasting".

I would have thought it would make sense to keep the forecasts/comments in their respective resort threads. Let us know what you'd like to see in this thread.

sly_karma likes this.
  3. zac150

id Like to see all the forecasting in one thread albeit acknowledging many locations have unique or varying results so making it clear if the snow is for coastal, interior or Rockies would be good.

I know many of us are crossing into multiple localities I.e I’m skiing coastal and interior as I know others are. Also many resorts don’t have threads or those in them don’t have the posters who have access to detail. For instance Su peaks has some great detail but silverstar etc not so much.

Roymond likes this.
  4. Chalkie

Fair enough.

Perhaps the Moderators or Bosses could make a ruling on what should go where. I'd prefer not to be admonished for putting something like forecasting comments in the wrong place.

5. zac150

I don’t think moderators should care, I just think if people post in the resort thread awesome and if that info is useful to other resorts maybe someone will cut and paste the info here.

6. zac150

Whistler finally getting some love with the next few days also looking ok with 20cm predicted today.

the snow also seems to be making it inland with Sunpeaks and silverstar getting a top up as well.

7. Jellybeans

Jellybeans not woke enough Ski Pass: Gold

8. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

System moving into the interior overnight should deliver modest snowfall but over a reasonably long period, 20-25 cm by Saturday for most upland areas.

DidSurfNowSki and zac150 like this.
  9. Chalkie

It looks like this week will deliver some snow across B.C., particularly NYE and NYD, but freezing levels are a bit on the high side, so the interior may fare better than the coastal ranges. Fingers crossed there's not too much r*^n...

10. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

yeah whislter at 1480m is showing some decent snowfalls, but at village level a very damp 120mm of wet stuff over the next few days

11. Joe

Joe Near a silver lining

Chucking down at Sun Peaks atm....20c last 24hrs and building...

12. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

SP got 50 cm in about 24 hrs. I rarely ski Whistler so it's been a long time since I skied that much snow that was so heavy. Great for the base though.

Joe likes this.
  13. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

Whistler got 25 up high today ..rain in the village tonight .. after huge flakes and 5 cm this arvo