Canada - West Coast Weather

Discussion in 'Alpine & Snow' started by Blackinc, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Blackinc

Blackinc First Runs

Hey all,

Can some one please direct me to some canadian weather sites, particularly those covering the west coast. I'm going to Canada, Vancouver in November for 3 weeks, and i'd love to get a few turns in. November being the very start of winter im not liking my chances but hopefully some will fall somewhere.. maybe.. hopefully. I was over there for 2 months in Feb/Mar this year and it was unbelievable!

Thanks

2. Matt.D

Matt.D Hard Yards

3. bogong_flyer

bogong_flyer First Runs

Judging by the latest US Climate Prediction Centre ENSO diagnostic discussion you might want to take your sunscreen, sunglasses and hiking boots...

The latest NCEP coupled forecast system (CFS) predictions indicate El Niño conditions for the remainder of 2006 and into the NH spring (SH fall) 2007 (Fig. 4). More than two-thirds of the other statistical and coupled model predictions also indicate El Niño conditions during the same period (Fig. 5).

Typical El Niño effects are likely to develop over North America during the upcoming winter season, including warmer-than-average temperatures over western and central Canada, and over the western and northern United States, wetter-than-average conditions over portions of the U.S. Gulf Coast and Florida, and drier-than-average conditions in the Ohio Valley and the Pacific Northwest.

This is the same El Nino that trashed our Australian season - looks like it will do the same for the Rockies and Coastal Moutains NORTH of California. (Note California's Sierra Nevada often gets very heavy precipitation and colder temps during El Nino events).

#3 bogong_flyer, Oct 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  4. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

warmer and weater for coastal mountains sounds to me like another 04/05 disaster... Crickey!

5. NIFF

NIFF Hard Yards

#5 NIFF, Oct 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  6. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Just as Bogong says, Californian resorts love El Nino winters (think 1997-98 season there, it was unbelivable, they got back to back dumps for 25 days straight in February '98!).
    They have just come off their best season on record in some parts of Cali (Mammoth), and the season before that was also very good, so to have an El Nino this winter would be phenomenal! 3 excellent seasons in a row, crazy.
    BTW, I'm talking Mammoth & Tahoe resorts in particular.
    Might have to start looking at booking tickets.......

7. Brindabella

Brindabella Hard Yards

You might want to take a look at the 1976 winter before booking tickets!!!!!!

If you think it was bad here in Australia this year, it was nothing on what happened that year in the West from California to Alaska.

The National Geographic later that year provided an in depth article with pictures of bare mountains and 'heavy rain' in Alaska in mid winter!!!!!

The East did very well with the biggest snow falls in Buffalo on record.

8. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Don't like you chances for a ski in the PNW this November. I'm looking out the window at yet another warm sunny day with a lot more sun to be expected.
    Off to watch the salmon running. Bye.