1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Canada working holiday Banff

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Aspen Lievert, May 4, 2020.

1. Aspen Lievert

Aspen Lievert First Runs

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has used easkiandsnowboard to get their level 1 and/or 2 CSIA ski instructor qualifications, and how it was like. I was also wondering what others Did as a job during summer while in Canada on a working holiday visa. I have decided that I want to work at lake Louise during winter and then either find a job in Banff or travel to Vancouver for a summer job. I will be going from Australia and I have good experience skiing. If anyone has any other information on these topics then please reply. Thanks in advance.

2. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

This is going to be an unusual ski season coming up. I think numbers will be down at most western resorts with a lot of international guests opting to stay home, partly due to concern/uncertainty with the likely second wave of virus, but also because of patriotic messaging to spend your money at home, help rebuild the Aussie economy, etc. The coastal resort areas so badly hit in the fires will surely be working hard to pull in bumper crowds to recover from the wreckage. Aussies are the single biggest international visitor group for the north american ski industry, so this will most definitely have an effect.

Alberta has been extremely hard hit by the economic slowdown. Their economy is heavily dependent on the oil and gas industry and was still yet to recover from the 2014 plunge in world prices. Now the price of oil has plummeted even lower, and things are going to get pretty bad in Alberta. Their govt is predicting 25% unemployment by the end of this year, numbers not seen since the Great Depression.

So you have fewer people coming in from abroad, and then you also will have record high unemployment. Not as many jobs at the resorts as usual, and more people competing for them. If I were you, I wouldn't go unless I had enough money to live most of a season without working. If you havent got the working holiday visa already, consider putting it off for a year and keep saving money in the meantime.

Chalkie, skiflat and Aspen Lievert like this.
  3. Aspen Lievert

Aspen Lievert First Runs

Thanks for the reply but I was thinking of going in 3 or 4 years and definitely not anytime soon.

sly_karma likes this.
  4. sly_karma

Good call! I'll still be around, although my own working holiday was in the 1980s. Some would argue it's still going, I came for one season and haven't left yet.

Chalkie and Aspen Lievert like this.
  5. Aspen Lievert

Aspen Lievert First Runs

Yeah mate I’m only 15 at the moment but have been doing my research and decided that lake Louise would be a great place to go. Just wondering would you have any ideas of what job to do during summer when the ski season is over whether it involves moving to Vancouver or staying near Banff. Thanks again

sly_karma likes this.
  6. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    heaps of jobs available in summer for you. Summer in the bigger mountain towns / resorts is big business - MTB, hiking, etc so there would be outdoor, hospo, etc, etc

FWIW, summer in Vancouver is pretty spectacular - super consistent weather, sunny days, no wind, little rain and lots of beach bbqs. Great city to be bsased in with lots of work opportunities and then get out into the mountains or onto the water on weekends / days off.

7. luvthabumps

Holy shit! Only 15 - nice forward planning :thumbs:

My 16 yo can't plan out a day ahead of himself LOL

Crystal likes this.
  8. Aspen Lievert

Aspen Lievert First Runs

Yeah thanks mate been thinking about this for a month or two while corona virus has been a thing, it’s given me a lot of thinking time and research to do. I’ve been to both Vancouver and Banff before and it’s gonna be impossible to decide which is better to go to during the summer cause they are both such amazing places but at least I have a few years to think about it.

9. luvthabumps

If you can find a good summer job in Van and some reasonable share accom you can buy a beater car and do great summer road trips out of there. We did several during our two years there - a 3 week Rockies Road trip, Portland / Oregon Coast, Seattle is only a few hours away. Tent, sleeping bag, bear spray, off you go.

My wife and I did our working holiday back in 89/90 (yes, we are that old....)Summer '89 in Europe (arrived May) working as canoeing guides in the south of France, then backpacked Euro until Sept 89, flew to the States and worked our way across to Vancouver. Lived and worked in Whistler Oct 89 - June 90 and then bought a $500 Datsun S/W and drove it across Canada/USA to Saint John, New Brunswick over June / July , spent August in NB, flogged the car for $500 and flew home in September 90.

whether, Chalkie, Summit and 2 others like this.
  10. Aspen Lievert

Aspen Lievert First Runs

Yeah thanks mate would love to road trip through the Canadian Rockies again, my family did in 2017. We landed at Calgary airport then hired a car and drove to Banff, Spent a week or so there at the ski resorts and town, then we went to panorama for 5 days which was amazing, then back to lake Louise to stay at the chateau for two nights, then we went all the way to jasper along the ice fields parkway. Was an amazing experience. We also went to big white and Vancouver a couple years before. Can’t wait to be back in Canada.

sly_karma likes this.
  11. sly_karma

LL runs a busy summer op and the Banff area gets more visitors then than in winter. It is one of the most visited regions in Canada and Banff NP brings in more revenue than any other park in the entire system. There are lots of tourism related jobs and their busy seasons are longer and stronger than most. Like LTB says, you could buy a banger car and do a lot of short trips on days off and then a longer one cross country.

Glad you have a few years to let the virus recession run its course.

Aspen Lievert likes this.
  12. Aspen Lievert

Aspen Lievert First Runs

Thank you guys so much for the help, hopefully this all becomes reality

13. StuckinQld

StuckinQld Addicted

We worked in lake Louise for the winter on working holiday program, then I came back to oz for work, but my partner worked in whistler for the summer. Travelled in between. Once you go you won’t want to come back.

14. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

A couple of things to add to the excellent advice already given by @sly_karma and @luvthabumps:

1. Definitely have plenty of savings to fall back on. You don't want to come to Canada for the kind of experience you're planning on having and ending up living hand to mouth.

2. Keep yourself nice and don't get any criminal convictions in the meantime. I know that may sound obvious, but some things in Canada are treated more seriously than they are in Australia (and vice versa), but one thing that can now seriously trip you up now for Canada (as a result of a change in the law in 2018) is getting a DUI ticket/conviction in Australia. Depending on the level of offence, it can make you criminally inadmissible to Canada. Don't drink and drive for any reason - besides the safety consequences, it could also prevent you from being able to implement your plan.

3. Doing things like making sure you have a full driver's licence before you come is worthwhile from a driving perspective.

I can second @luvthabumps's comments on Vancouver summers - they're pretty darn good. In fact the whole year 'round here is pretty darn good!

Aspen Lievert and Summit like this.
  15. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Generally you only get one bite at the WHM Visa cherry in most jurisdictions which have signed up to the arrangement. Check this out for Canada and for your circumstances. If so restricted then it will be necessary to think of a visa that will allow work, being aware that turning up at the border will only allow you 3 months entry with NO work, and having just had a WHM visa the border agent will be asking probing questions to ensure working is not on your mind and could deny entry if in any doubt. Then come the practical considerations of COVID-19 border closures, depressed economic conditions etc

16. Aspen Lievert

Aspen Lievert First Runs

thanks for the reply, so good thing is I’ve got a good few years of saving to do before I go to Canada and also I was wondering if you or anyone else knows about the Australian to Canadian driving licences. If you are a learner or on your provisional license in Aus would that also count to be able to drive in Canada or would you need to own a full license? Because I would then have to wait a few more years to come to Canada. Also wondering what it is like just living in Canada in comparison to Australia if you know. Thanks

17. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

and canadian authorities are still hunting for you!!

18. luvthabumps

yeah..... what he said.

Aspen Lievert and Chalkie like this.
  19. sly_karma

Shhhhh, they don't know my real name.

20. gareth_oau

take off your green hood and reveal your true identity!!

21. sly_karma

What, and risk being shipped to Australia to join all the convict descendants? And the snow there is crappy and the trees are weird. No thanks, the Green Bastard identity is keeping me safe.

22. sly_karma

Canada and Australia are very alike, huge countries with few people. History of development via British colonialism, same Westminister parliamentary system, same youthful energy and enthusiasm. Economies based mostly on resources and services. Both have culture shaped by physical landscapes and extreme climates, although the population is largely clustered into small zones with more benign conditions.

The similarities make it easy to spot the small detail differences because you're not putting most of your mental bandwidth into handling the basics like language, civil structural, religion and culture.

Aspen Lievert and Chalkie like this.
  23. gareth_oau

we don't share a border with a bunch of morons

24. Chalkie

Driver licences are regulated at the provincial level in Canada, in the same way that they are at the state level in Australia. This means there are differences in the approach of each province.

British Columbia requires you to exchange your Australian licence for a British Columbia licence after 90 days living in the province. As a tourist, you can drive on your Australian licence for up to six months. To get an unrestricted BC licence you need to prove you've held an unrestricted Australian licence for two years. If you can't do that (eg, you're on your Ps), you may be able to get a "N" (new driver) licence, which comes with similar restrictions to a provisional licence in Australia (limits on the number of passengers, zero blood alcohol, etc).

Alberta requires you to exchange your Australian licence for an Alberta licence after 90 days if you're living in Alberta permanently, but will let you drive on your Australian licence for up to one year if you're only a temporary resident. Alberta also has the two year rule, and if you've not held an unrestricted licence for two years you'll be getting a restricted licence with similar restrictions to BC.

It is of course possible things could change by the time you come to Canada, so you'll need to review it all again when the time comes. The best thing to do though, if it is at all possible (and I know (from friends with learner driver children) how hard it is to get the 120 hours or whatever the requirement is your state), is try and get your driving licence in the shortest possible time.

Although you don't necessarily need to for entry level jobs, other things to do in preparation for what you're thinking about include getting your responsible service of alcohol certificate (from 18 y.o.), your boat licence, general purpose (deck) hand certificate (from 16 y.o.), some retail / waitering / bar tending / other hospitality experience, your scuba diving qualifications - basically you want to be as marketable a proposition to potential employers as possible, and experience in these sorts of hospitality / leisure fields will potentially expand job options in both summer and winter.

@slykarma has commented above on some of the big picture things about "just living in Canada". Living in Vancouver, British Columbia, is remarkably similar to living in Sydney (where I spent the first 25 years of my life) and Melbourne (where I spent another 25 years), except with way better views (the coastal mountains in Vancouver come right down to the north side of Vancouver Harbour - I get to look at them from my roof top garden every day, and they are stunning). It "feels" very similar, both at the big picture level, and for the smaller stuff (if you avoid Starbucks and Tim Horton's, excellent coffee can be had in Vancouver). The diaspora of Aussies/Irish/English/Chinese in Vancouver adds to the similarities.

Things get a little less similar to Australia the further east you go. Toronto, for example, feels more like a generic North American city (it's flat and has big skyscrapers) than does Vancouver, which feels much more like an English colonial city a la the Australian capital cities. Quebec is the French-speaking province (Canada is "officially" bilingual, which means you can receive government services in English or French, but out here in Vancouver there is precious little French spoken and only a tiny French speaking community - you're more likely to hear Cantonese and Mandarin spoken on the streets of Vancouver than French), and that means it has a very unique culture. The Maritime provinces are visually stunning but poor (for various historical reasons) and other than some Francophone pockets in New Brunswick, feel more English/Scottish (Nova Scotia, as the name suggests, takes its Scottish heritage VERY seriously).

Some of the differences between Australia and Canada are trivial; some others not so, for example:

- Food and alcohol are generally speaking a bit more expensive than in Australia. On the food side, a lot of food is imported from the US and Mexico, given the long and hard Canadian winters (everywhere except for Vancouver) so this can add to the cost of some food items. Alcohol is regulated at the individual provincial level to the extent that inter-provincial trade in alcohol is pretty limited, and the provinces love using booze as a revenue raising measure. Which brings me to my next point and the one thing that annoys the bejeezus out of me...

- Federal and provincial sales tax is added at the checkout, and is not included in the shelf price displayed. This means a C$20 bottle of wine is C$23.10 at the checkout ($20 plus 10% sales tax on liquor (it's only 7% on most other consumer items), 5% Federal sales tax and 0.10 container deposit)

- Banking in Canada can be a bit quaint in comparison to Australia (I had to write a couple of cheques when I first got here!)

- Car insurance in BC is eye-wateringly expensive in comparison to Australia (it's not quite as bad in Alberta, and friends who live there still moan but acknowledge that "it's not as bad as BC")

- Canada still loves a piece of paper for certain life administrative things (although the Covid-19 crisis has forced governments and businesses to give up on this somewhat and move to electronic platforms)

- Permanent employment conditions in Canada can often be quite different (lower) to Australia - fewer holidays (two weeks' annual leave is the norm here), no compulsory long service leave, only 3 days' sick leave (in BC, and then only if you work in a job covered by the BC Employment Standards Act, which doesn't cover everyone)​

I've lived in Sydney, Melbourne and London (and now in Vancouver, Canada, where I've retired), and spent many years of my professional life travelling all over the world for work, spending extended periods of time in the US and Canada and making repeat trips to a couple of Asian cities. Each city has its own attractions and charms and was right for me at that time of my life, and right now I'm absolutely loving living in Vancouver and Canada for lots and lots of reasons.

I think it is absolutely brilliant that you've identified that you want to have the adventure of living overseas, and Canada is a great place to start that adventure. Depending on the career you choose, it may or may not be the best place to pursue your career (I couldn't have done what I did in Canada in the same way that I was able to between Melbourne, London and the rest of the world, and in particular I needed the time in London to advance my career), but who knows - having adventures is what life is all about! Good luck!!!

25. Aspen Lievert

Aspen Lievert First Runs

Wow thanks so much for that useful information, I’m living in Sydney so I’m pretty sure it is 120hours for a drivers license to get off the learner plates. I’m currently working in Woolworths (I’m sure you know it’s a supermarket coming from Australia) so that is giving me some useful customer service skills. I’ve been thinking for summer jobs after reading all of the information from this thread that I would want to work in Vancouver in summer as some sort of outdoor job, don’t know what yet. I’ve been thinking of studying hospitality in year 11 and 12 of high school to get a hospitality certificate or whatever it is that you get so it would give me another option. I would be thinking of staying in western Canada so I wouldn’t need to learn too much French. I’ve done all my research on taxes and I’m aware that there are definately some extra taxes but hopefully I won’t be drinking too much alcohol. I’ve been to Tokyo aswell and skiied at hakuba but honestly not much can compare to the Canadian Rockies. Thanks again.

Chalkie likes this.
  26. Chalkie

I know Woolies very well. I worked there from when I was 14 and 9 months, through high school, university, and I still did a weekend shift for the first two years of my full time career - the weekend shift paid the rent so I could save my full time earnings for overseas ski trips.

Absolutely no French needed in Western Canada!

The Canadian Rockies are pretty special. Good luck with everything.

27. luvthabumps

great summary - I knew you had way more time on my hands than me so I was hoping that you take care of it.....:D

"Banking can be a bit quaint...." now there's an understatement :rolleyes:

28. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

For an outdoors summer what about Squamish?

sly_karma, Chalkie and Aspen Lievert like this.