Canadian East Coast Resorts

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Tonester, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Tonester

Tonester Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

My daughter is heading off later in the year to do a uni exchange in Montreal.
    We are planning on heading over to spend some time with her in January, so I'm looking at what to ski over that side of Canada.

Tremblant looks OK and there have been favourable TRs from a few.
    From Montreal, what other resorts would people recommend? And...how long before I get bored of Tremblant? We are experienced skiers, so looking for a mountain that has some challenge and variety to it would be preferable. Especially off piste and tree skiing.

2. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

In Canada - combine a trip of a few days / nights to Quebec City and then ski Mont Sainte Anne. Has some very good / steep off piste tree skiing.
    In USA - Vermont........"Stowe" or "Jay Peak".
    Each are 2-3 hours by car from Montreal.

#2 Zimboo, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  3. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

P.S. If you do go the Quebec City..........you must stay in the old city area (beautiful). We have been there in January..........magic place, was bloody freezing!!!!!!

Tonester likes this.
  4. Crispy013

Crispy013 Dedicated Member

Tremblant is pretty good...I'd say 3-4 days max. All the lifts generally take you to the peak and you pick a side of the mountain to explore. Similar to Iwatake in Japan in a sense, only bigger. Nice tree runs.

Zimboo likes this.
  5. Tonester

Season Pass Gold

Hmmmm......thanks @Zimboo. We'll eventually end up in NYC.
    Considering doing a road trip.

6. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

We did a round trip / road trip from Boston as my Brother lives north of Boston.
    Hired a car in Boston, visted brothers family over xmas / new year then did New Hampshire, Vermont, Quebec, Maine, Boston over 3 weeks.
    The drive from Quebec ciity to Sugarloaf in Maine (via Jackman/Moose Riiver) in January was wild. Total winter wilderness. The border police couldn't believe a family of 4 with Australian passports were on a skiing road trip in that area. Wife still thinks I'm mental, but loves the memories. :)

#6 Zimboo, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    The Plowking and piolet like this.
  7. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

This. Mte Ste Anne and Le Massif on the Quebec side, and lots of Montrealers swear by Jay Peak.

The Plowking likes this.
  8. Tonester

Season Pass Gold

Nothing mental about that at all. I was google mapping last night and started laying out a similar road trip in my mind. They are all areas I'd love to visit.

The Plowking likes this.
  9. Tonester

Season Pass Gold

I love the idea of crossing a border to go for a ski. Only about a 2 hour drive. I can leave the non-skier wife in Montreal for shopping and pop over for a ski. Thanks for the tip!

10. SurlyJoe5000

SurlyJoe5000 New Member

Le Massif

http://www.lemassif.com/en

Or drive just south of the border to Jay Peak. They've had 447 inches of snow so far this winter

11. Tonester

Season Pass Gold

Jay Peak does look good!

12. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

If anyone here does the Quebec City to Sugarloaf / Maine drive in January via Jackman/Moose River please take a winter emergency car kit with you as you wouldn't want to get in trouble etc out there. We only saw 1 truck on the road for a long long time and no evidence of snow clearing on the road. Google maps shows it as highway "201" ........ why we took it over what looks like a much shorter option to Sugarloaf further south on "route 27". If 201 is a highway I would hate to think what route 27 is like in winter between Sugarloaf and the border.

#12 Zimboo, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Tonester likes this.
  13. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

14. Tonester

Season Pass Gold

wow

15. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

It's all about the timing in the east for great snow conditions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,similar to Aus / NZ.
    Just much colder if the air is coming in from the north!
    We had standard - 5s C in NH and VT and then -15's C in Quebec and Sugarloaf was - 20s! before windchill!!!!!!!!!!
    My advice............wait and book on conditions as you see them, as accom vacancy is not a issue mid week in January.

#15 Zimboo, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Tonester likes this.
  16. Beerman

Beerman Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Did this area a few years ago in late Sept mostly US side though. If considering the US for skiing there is a resort called Loon, at the junction of highways 112 and 93 in New Hampshire, just out of Lincoln, looked very good. This area has a heap of little resorts tucked around every corner. Heaps to explore. Stowe is fairly steep but not as big as most people would expect, and heading further west you have Lake Placid.
    If you're looking for overnight stays, in Canada, Niagara on the Lake, Magog (25km form Jay Peak), Quebec city, and in the US, Stowe, North Conway are all nice places.
    The 112 through Thetford Mines and Highway 20 which many maps designate with a Maple Leaf aren't too picturesque unfortunately if your heading south into the US from Quebec city.

17. Tonester

Season Pass Gold

Great info, thanks @Beerman
    Certainly lots to consider.

18. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Did actually ski Loon, on our way north. First day was very good......about 10cms new snow. Little choo choo at the bottom links the two bases as does a lift at the top. 2nd day not as good as day 1, as no new snow. Nice hills, with a gondola, tree's and the train along the bottom. Was a great place to visit.......as long as you have new snow. IMO

#18 Zimboo, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    The Plowking likes this.
  19. PTee

PTee Active Member

Prepare for extreme cold in January. Only place I've needed boot heaters.

Tremblant is good if it's snowed. Crazy busy on weekends. Mid week is your best bet. Skied 100+ days there so hit me up if you have any more questions about it.
    Bromont is about an hour from Montreal. Night skiing is worth checking out for something different. Less French in the eastern townships compared to Tremblant too if that's a consideration. There's a few smaller resorts around there like Mont Sutton that can be fun.
    Otherwise, Stowe and Jay Peak are def worth the drive. More vertical and tree skiing compared to Tremblant. Mad River Glen too if you want a different small resort feel.

Tonester likes this.
  20. Tonester

Season Pass Gold

thanks @PTee

21. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Factor in the anywhere between 30 minutes and 2 hrs at the border..... from experience

Tonester likes this.
  22. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Its great.
    I spent a few months living in Montreal and did this weekly.
    Was a bus doing return day trips.
    The canadians were not happy with the delay at the border...

Tonester likes this.
  23. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

We are on a fall colours vacation at the moment in eastern Canada, well Ontario anyway. Well that had been the idea but as with snow mother nature may have other ideas and so it is this year and Fall just isn't happening with the hot summer being followed by record high temperatures for the NE USA and Eastern Canada, breaking records by significant margins. Nights this week have been above 20C! Very high humidity too. So the ground is just not cooling down thus precious little colours. Not just the ground but the lake water is about 5C warmer than average too. The heat/hunidity is being sucked up from the Gulf of Mexico where the water is much warmer than usual in terms of being above average to a great depth, so fuelling Hervey and Irma.

A cool change will drop temps over the weekend but they are forecasting temps back to mid 20s by mid next week. So it may be a late start to the season.

Funnily enough even in Ontario there are some ski resorts like one where we have some accommodation for a few days.

Attached Files:

Chowder11 and shabu_shabu like this.
  24. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Looks like a lovely day in Collingwood.

Come out west, cooler than normal after a hot smoky summer. Most ski resorts have 2-3 cm of cover on the upper half of the mountain from snow that fell more than a week ago. The larches have all turned golden, other broadleaf trees at lower elevation are yet to turn. We have more evergreens than deciduous in the west evergreens out west, but there are some colours to be seen. Not on par with central and maritime provinces though.

oldgeezer likes this.
  25. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

We did out west this time last year SK, had hoped to checkin with MS at SP but of course that didn't happen.

Today we did the drive to Parry Sound and did the ferry ride. Beautiful farming countryside on the way on Horseshoe Valley Dr and up through the granite belt on TCH 400 to Parry Sound. Still virtually no sign of Fall :(

Different at Blue Mtn resort (looks/feels like a mini Whistler, being Intrawest) and with the humidty gone over the next couple of days left we hope to do some walking up on the escarpment.

26. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

If you rent a car make sure you are permitted to take it over the border

27. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

Fall being a bit of a fizzer was noted on The Weather Channel but we started to see a bit of color as we had to leave, naturellment.

Some pics of Blue Mountain

The green slopes end

Lifted height about 190m.

Nearer the village it is about 250m with some decent blues resembling the pitch of those on Tod at Sun Peaks and a couple rated 2Black, steep enough for there to have been a slide last season after rain.

Nice views of Georgian Bay even from near the bottom of the run.

Some color in the village

Chowder11 and The Plowking like this.
  28. KneeDeep

KneeDeep Dedicated Member

Oldgeezer has gone native, colour is North American english, every other English speaking country spells it colour. Just saying, my OCD is showing,lol.

29. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

Oh yes. When in Nth America I use the local lingo such as vacation (which I prefer to holiday now), elevator, cell phone, roll my Rs, and color (when in conjunction with 'fall') haha.:)

Chowder11 likes this.
  30. Chowder11

Chowder11 Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Nice Pics OldGeezer. Blue is a pretty little village.
    Im in Toronto currently and yes the weather has been pretty odd. Was a pretty average mild summer, the hottest temps we had were last week. I was up in Montreal and Quebec last weekend and it was bloody hot and humid.
    Has cooled down now, is in single figures the last few nights but going to warm up again mid week.
    The trees have only just started to show a little bit of change, usually this time of year they are in full swing, so I think you are right in being a late start.

But you just never know with winter and especially the East coast, anything can happen.
    Thanksgiving is this weekend and talking to locals at work they have told me stories of everything from swimming in the lakes to snowfalls thanksgiving weekends.

31. Chowder11

Season Pass Gold

Waashrroom

32. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

The for the reminder about being here @Chowder11 - I recall someone was here for some time. In its own quiet way we are taken with Ontario even tho it lacks the dramatic scenery of BC and Alberta (or PNW and CO). So green it hurts your eyes and this is at the end of a long hot summer, delightful country towns, beautiful agricultural areas etc. Would have been nice to had decent fall 'colors' but nature is variable. Several people we know at home have connections with here: my boss at work was in Hamilton many years, sister and brother in law lived in Toronto for a decade when he was Dean at OISE before the cold winters got to them and our older daughter came home fluent in French after three months exchange in Quebec City.

Unfortunately she also came home having decided to give up skiing after doing an ACL the second run snow ploughing down a black run on Mt Ste Anne :(

Next time back to Canada though (if it happens) will be back to Sun Peaks (or maybe Whistler if, like next year, we get the Epic Pass for Perisher.

Off to Chicago tomorrow to visit the widow of a skiing pal, and a 3rd cousin of MrsOG before leaving for home Thu night. Am looking fwd to my first ever First class trip home (courtesy Aeroplan) on ANA.

Chowder11 likes this.
  33. Chowder11

Season Pass Gold

Ontario is completely different to the West Coast. (Obviously)
    I have been in Toronto since Mid March now, I have to be honest I have not fallen in love with the city itself. Toronto is a massive stale at times incredibly busy city, but I really enjoy living here.From a distance though the skyline is one of the best I have seen thanks to the CN tower.
    Im living just east side of the "downtown" city where it is still very vibrant but a little more laid back compared to the inner West. Looking forward to the winter t will be my first non ski field NH winter, hoping it is a really brutal one.
    You are correct, the intense green once you leave the city and suburbs is something I have never experience. will do some road trips once the leafs finally decide to change. It has its own beauty away from the massive mountains to which you need to look at in a different perspective to the "Rocky Mountains" Canada 90% of Aussies think of when you say Canada.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. My folks were just in Chicago and loved it. Great time of the year as it can get pretty brutal in winter also from reports.