1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Canadian in NZ for snowboarding

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Sylvain Beland, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Sylvain Beland

Sylvain Beland First Runs

Hi, I arrived today on Christchurch. I'm supposed to be here to snowboard during my vacation.
    Three weeks. I have a camper from July 15th to August 4th.

any suggestions on the right spot? !!!

(I heard there was not a lot of snow !?)

What do you have to propose for a Canadian far from home?

2. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

School holidays till Monday 22nd. Go south mate...shit loads of snow coming from this weekend onwards.
    Look at:
    https://www.metservice.com/national/home
    http://www.metvuw.com/forecast/
    Plan your days around the weather.......NZ is score or lose, within a couple of hundred kms.

essjaywhy likes this.
  3. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

As above, drive South. Various small ski areas might appeal after Mt Hutt (but check road conditions carefully before taking a van up there). Mt Dobson is worth a visit on the way to stunning Lake Tekapo. Roundhill ski area is very accessible from there and although a small ski hill, it does now include a seriously long rope tow which gives access to heaps of steeper terrain. A bit further south is Ohau ski field, highly regarded by some, although the road is considered intimidating by others. In a van, I personally would not drive up but I believe school buses do go up there. Further south again is Wanaka which gives access to Cardrona valley with ski/board areas both sides. Cardrona ski field is accessed via a gravel road but it's a relatively easy drive to a highly regarded resort. Treble Cone is also nearby (not been there) and is said to offer steeper terrain and interesting backcountry options. Further south again is Queenstown, a busy tourist town for good reason, with access to Coronet Peak and the Remarkables ski areas, well worth visiting. Locals will know more, (Fox peak, Olympus etc.); I'm surprised they have not been more forthcoming, but this is a brief summary of your options from the perspective of an occasional visitor. Enjoy the south of the South Island. Let it snow.

Bogong and Ziggy like this.
  4. Sylvain Beland

Sylvain Beland First Runs

Thanks for the information.