Canadian ski resort for week before Xmas.

skivet

Addicted
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast
Good afternoon.
we are looking at a Canadian White Xmas ( well just before) December 2022 for extended family. Skiers are beginner to strong intermediate, no children, looking at renting a bi g house for 7 days. Two of our party are complete non skiers but enjoy ice skating/ photography. what resort would everyone suggest? We usually ski Japan and are very excited to venture over to Canada!

Reactions: sly_karma

sunpeaker

Hard Yards
Sep 10, 2011
Sydney Australia
Good afternoon.
we are looking at a Canadian White Xmas ( well just before) December 2022 for extended family. Skiers are beginner to strong intermediate, no children, looking at renting a bi g house for 7 days. Two of our party are complete non skiers but enjoy ice skating/ photography. what resort would everyone suggest? We usually ski Japan and are very excited to venture over to Canada!
Agree with Sbooker, Sun Peaks or Silver Star are the clear favourites for the family mix you have. Both are exceptional ski in ski out family resorts. Silver Star may suit you slightly better as it has a very large natural skating pond, Tubing hill & excellent cross county trails for the non skiers. Sun Peaks also has those but I think Silver Star just edges Sun Peaks in that regard. SP's village is slightly larger with a very european style. Both have excellent accommodation options. Very hard to pick between the two. Suggest you search both websites , You tube etc to decide which one you like better. Better still spend 5 days in each resort & take the weekend off in between. Whichever you choose you can't go wrong with either.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
'... cross country trails for the non skiers' ? Pardon? Have you tried cross country skiing? It is the oldest form of skiing.

sunpeaker

Hard Yards
Sep 10, 2011
Sydney Australia
'... cross country trails for the non skiers' ? Pardon? Have you tried cross country skiing? It is the oldest form of skiing.
Chris, you shouldn't be so cross. Yes I have tried it. Personally find it quite boring but to each their own. I suppose I should have said, might be an option for those that don't want to try downhill. Snowshoeing (even older than cross country ski's) is another way for non skiers to enjoy the many trails around Silver Star. Skivet has asked for suggestions & advice for a family trip to Canada. If you have any please offer it.

Reactions: Roymond

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth

Nice big house in Sun Peaks, 5 minute walk to the village, or ski down the beginners slope and catch the magic carpet ride back up

Weelk before xmas is a great time for pricing, as prices peak on Boxing Day

Reactions: skivet

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
Good afternoon.
Sun Peaks before Chrissy , BIG White for Chrissy and Whistler after New Years. That was our 2019

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Sun Peaks before Chrissy , BIG White for Chrissy and Whistler after New Years. That was our 2019
I would be careful of Big White. I have been twice. The first time Gem Lake was open and it was fine. The second time it was closed and the experience was less good. It seems that there needs to be a bit of snow for it to open. On that basis I would not recommend it for early season.

Reactions: Reetro and skivet

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Sun Peaks would be a great option but for something completely different Banff and the surrounding area (particularly Lake Louise which is stunning from a scenery perspective and completely frozen in winter, so great to skate on). The scenery in that whole area is just gorgeous. You can splash out and stay at the Chateau for a few days or look at renting a cottage nearby (or combine with Sun Peaks - did this a few years ago).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Any of SS, SP or BW will suit well. This is right in their wheel house. Accoms options are vast and overall pricing less than Whistler or Banff.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Another thought may be a resort near a gorgeous town. Red comes to mind, but you would need a car for the non-skiers to be free. Not a lot for them to do on hill.

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
I would be careful of Big White. I have been twice. The first time Gem Lake was open and it was fine. The second time it was closed and the experience was less good. It seems that there needs to be a bit of snow for it to open. On that basis I would not recommend it for early season.
My experience is the opposite, gets snow before others and we had 2-3 feet while there.. great. I would like to live in the area for a period and just go when its good.

Reactions: Crystal
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass