Canadian trip advice - January 2012

Cubanpete

Hard Yards
Apr 26, 2006
Hi All,

Getting hitched in Ireland on the 31st December and we are planning a Canadian ski trip for our honeymoon. It’s been 10 long years since I had an amazing season in Whistler and I’m keen to check out what the others have to offer.

I have 200+ days experience but my partner has only had 15 days boarding experience. I would classify her ability as a strong beginner. She links turns just not with confidence. I’m certain it will come together very quickly for her this time.

I have been inspired by what Doonks did and want to do a very similar trip. https://www.ski.com.au/xf/posts/895661&page=20#Post895661

So the only plan at the moment is to fly out of Ireland on the 2nd January and spend a week in New York and then fly to Calgary.

Resorts I want to go to are

Sunshine
Lake Louise
Kicking Horse
Revelstoke
Red Mountain
Big White and or Silver Star
Whistler Blackcomb

So right now the plan is to stay in Banff and have two days each at both Sunshine and Lake Louise to get our ski legs.
Revelstoke/Kicking Horse would be next for 5 days at each. It looks like it would be easier to do Kicking Horse first and then onto Revelstoke?? A concern I have it how much enjoyment my partner will get out of these two places?

After this drive down to Red Mountain for 5 days. I would love to get to Fernie but it just seems too far out of the way.
From Red west to Big White or Silverstar or perhaps both. What are people opinions on Silver Star??

And finally to Whistler for five days or so.

My big questions are
What order to visit them in. I would love my girlfriend to have more boarding time this trip before she gets to Revelstoke and Kicking Horse, however I’m not sure that I want longer at either Lake Louise or Sunshine.

should I be going to a couple less resorts and spending longer at others.

And also any cheap accomadation recommendations at any of these areas? We plan to stay someplace nice in New York. Wehn skiing we really dont care although no shared accomadation - just clean warm and reasonably priced.

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Cubanpete said:
My big questions are
What order to visit them in. I would love my girlfriend to have more boarding time this trip before she gets to Revelstoke and Kicking Horse, however I’m not sure that I want longer at either Lake Louise or Sunshine.

should I be going to a couple less resorts and spending longer at others.

And also any cheap accomadation recommendations at any of these areas? We plan to stay someplace nice in New York. Wehn skiing we really dont care although no shared accomadation - just clean warm and reasonably priced.

Any advice is appreciated!
Ahh....the honeymoon ski trip, we did ours to New Zealand 12 years ago.

As for your trip, the order you have the resorts in looks pretty good. Maybe miss out Red Mountain if you're running out of time. Is the "wife to be" going to be happy moving around every few days ? Remember you want to have some energy left for the "other" honeymoon activities.
wink.gif

Accommodation:
Banff - http://www.bluemtnlodge.com/ Not 5 star, small rooms, shared kitchen but a good central location and value for money.
Big White - http://www.ownerdirect.com/vacation-rental-community/big-white/snow-ghost-inn We've stayed at this building a few times (via ownerdirect). Older building but is right on Perfection run, indoor heated pool and hot tub, good prices.
Silver Star - http://www.ownerdirect.com/north-silver-star/vacation-rentals/95320 Love this place ! Your front door is literally 2 metres from the ski run, your own private hot tub, only one other unit in the building and pretty good value for what you get. (A nice honeymoon suite for a reasonable price)
Whistler - http://www.alluradirect.com/506/index.cfm Nice modern place, large apartment block, shared hot tub, a bit of a walk to the lifts (or shuttle ride). Good value for Whistler.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
My contribution ....

I think the GF may be a little overwhelmed at Revelstoke and Kicking Horse with the longer steeper runs (especially Revelstoke) but all the others are good options. Maybe less time at these two places and more time at Red and Silverstar\Big White and as it is a honeymoon, Lake Louise which is a very beautiful "romantic" place. You could even cat ski Red for a relatively easy together adventure.

Your driving route is good. Start Calgary, Finish Vancouver. Just leave a whole day to sleep in and commute so it is not rushed and you can stop for "couple stuff" and sight seeing. Hire something comfortable and take good tunes and just lap up the incredible scenery on your travel days.

Don't forget to stick the missus in SS sometimes so she can buddy up and you can get amongst it on your own and share adventure stories in the evening.

The road trip is a big part of the whole relaxed holiday so don't over organize.

Happy skiing
cool.gif

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Dr. Wood Duck said:
My contribution ....

I think the GF may be a little overwhelmed at Revelstoke and Kicking Horse with the longer steeper runs (especially Revelstoke) but all the others are good options. Maybe less time at these two places and more time at Red and Silverstar\Big White and as it is a honeymoon, Lake Louise which is a very beautiful "romantic" place. You could even cat ski Red for a relatively easy together adventure.

Your driving route is good. Start Calgary, Finish Vancouver. Just leave a whole day to sleep in and commute so it is not rushed and you can stop for "couple stuff" and sight seeing. Hire something comfortable and take good tunes and just lap up the incredible scenery on your travel days.

Don't forget to stick the missus in SS sometimes so she can buddy up and you can get amongst it on your own and share adventure stories in the evening.

The road trip is a big part of the whole relaxed holiday so don't over organize.

Happy skiing
cool.gif

+1 for the Duck´s comments. Early Jan is still very much early season for the Rockies, so don´t be disappointed at thin cover in LL and Sunshine, although you could get lucky. They keep building and building and don´t peak for base until mid April. DO book a room for one night at Chateau Lake Louise, mucho dinero but it´s a honeymoon must if you´re there anyway. And a cheese fondue in the Walliser Stube wine bar is a more cozy romantic option than the even more expensive main dining room.

sli1

One of Us
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
I love Red Mountain, but it is pretty "core". Unless you like steep trees and often tight trees, the rest of the resort can feel a bit small.

There are much better places to learn how to ski or board. Maximum enjoyment comes from knowing how to ride before you are there and testing yourself.

Also, in most places I ski with my boarding mates but at Red there was many places that were either too much effort for them to either ride, get to or get out of (because of the trees). I'm sure there are boarders that ride of all Red, all the time but keep in mind that it presents different, (extra ?) challenges for boarders than "normal" resorts.

tobyinsydney

Hard Yards
Jun 18, 2007
I just got back from four weeks at Red (my honeymoon after eloping to Whistler)... Have ridden every resort in the West over the years . Would rank Red as my favourite!

I would skip Lake Louise personally...

Here is a link to our trip blog for inspiration!

http://5weeksofwhite.wordpress.com/

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using