Trip Report Canberra Crew Northern Adventures!

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
So we are now waiting at Vancouver Airport for our flight home. True to form, our Air Canada flight to Sydney has been delayed by 50 minutes, jeopardising our connection to Canberra. Oh well ... :whistle:

Time to reflect on our trip. Probably the best accommodation was at Silver Star. Silver Creek accommodation rocked: big room with a full sized kitchen, ski-in and out, and plenty of room for 3 of us (or even 4 had there been an added extra). Enjoyed what we saw of Silver Star, although our ability to explore was hampered by the extreme cold (-26 for 2 days, -18 for our last day). A very nice skating pond, and free tubing with your lift ticket. The village isn’t quite as pleasant as Sun Peaks, but is very picturesque none-the-less. Having a season pass at Sun Peaks meant we received 2 free days of skiing at Silver Star, then 25% off any further days. Reciprocal arrangements apply.

I hired a car from Kelowna Airport through Airport Car Rentals (a broker who sourced the vehicle through Avis). Easy-peasy with no attempt to upgrade you to another type of car. The RAV4 handled the conditions well and seated 3 comfortably with 1 double ski bag and 3 large cases. Relatively easy 3 hour drive from Silver Star to Sun Peaks, where we stayed the first 8 nights at Coast Sundance before moving to the superior option of Hearthstone Lodge. More on these in the Canada Accommodation thread. Much preferred the latter. Sun Peaks delivered with snow quality, lots of snow, and a great village atmosphere. I can’t wait to return!

A few pics of Sun Peaks;

79EF901A-613C-45DD-B95B-744CB6851C3B.jpeg

(Below pic with the Astros)

9AA4B056-FF64-4DE7-A95D-45087D85B7ED.jpeg

D2CF73F4-0FA1-48C6-B2AE-785529D44C85.jpeg

Love Canada. Lovely wine too; had a couple of glasses of the Jackson Triggs VQA Reserve Chardonnay tonight; very tasty!

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
My turn...

This is the final skiing leg of my around the world jaunt to Japan, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, USA and Canada.

The planning for this trip can be found here.
RTW Part 1 - Japow can be found here.
RTW Part 2 - Austria, Italy and Switzerland can be found here
RTW Part 3 - Utah can be found here.

This trip report covers flying to Vancouver from Denver on the dreaded Air Canada and skiing Whistler for a week, including a 4 day skiing camp.

zac150

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Lmao, so far we have had six Air Canada flights between us four of which have been delayed.....

Ok so one reasonably (medical), one because flight late from the interior, one due to mechanical and one because the airport didn’t have room.

Reactions: Stick

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Lmao, so far we have had six Air Canada flights between us four of which have been delayed.....

Ok so one reasonably (medical), one because flight late from the interior, one due to mechanical and one because the airport didn’t have room.
When I’m over my jet lag, I’m going to find that Air Canada appreciation thread to debrief on my trip home yesterday :p

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Yep, missed my first bus, took the later one. Thanks Air Canada !

Quite a bit of snow on the way up. Tomorrow could be alright ;) Need to find the ticket office and get there at a reasonable time to get lift and lesson passes.

Lots of people pouring out of the pubs after the Superbowl final.

Reactions: zac150

Stick

Addicted
Apr 11, 2016

Our leg from Vancouver to LAX... On Air Canada, kept our little one (18 months) awake as long as we could knowing it is a 2 and a bit hour flight to LAX, get on plane.. She falls asleep pretty much straight away... Sit at gate for 1/2hr, then wait 45 minutes to get de-iced finally take off, little one awakens.. Stewardess sates.. - You should try and get her to sleep the white noise should help..

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
@robbo mcs what's the skinny on eating places around the crystal ?

Also I’m learning to drive the coffee pot.

420F3286-AA07-42AB-B8D8-85E8101B76B2.jpeg

I hope Pedro makes good beans. Smells good :)
Wish they would put instructions on the coffee machines. Had to use google a few times to drive them.;)
Oh really, you two are my vintage and should know how to drive a good old-fashioned dripolator machine! I loved making a pot of coffee at lunchtime then heading back out onto the slopes at Sun Peaks - better than most of the coffee you could buy (although the flat whites at Sunburst Lodge weren’t bad).

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
Gods country, Martinsville
Oh really, you two are my vintage and should know how to drive a good old-fashioned dripolator machine! I loved making a pot of coffee at lunchtime then heading back out onto the slopes at Sun Peaks - better than most of the coffee you could buy (although the flat whites at Sunburst Lodge weren’t bad).
"Dripolator!" I must be lot younger than you think.:whistle:

Reactions: Lady Penelope

zac150

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010

If you wander to the first square their is a little Italian that does a spag Bol and litre beer, cheap if you buy before 5pm.

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
@robbo mcs what's the skinny on eating places around the crystal ?

The old spaghetti factory is downstairs from the crystal. Cheap and cheesy, formulaic, but surprisingly good for the price. Good for a single, because you can wander in, get minestrone, bread, main course and ice cream, with drink for around $15 in 45 minutes;) Not the best italian food in the world, but fills you up nicely

Earls is around 200m away, I quite like that, good north american pub style food. These days the famous "Earls Girls" have tamed down, you know PC and all that:rolleyes:

One of my favourite places is the Brewhouse, which is down the other end of the village stroll. Either bar type food (ribs, wings etc), or full menu, with various choices, and also 6 varieties of beer brewed on site. I usually go there at least once a week.

If you like cakes, pastries, biscuits (or even cookies), then you have to go to purebread, but be prepared to join a queue:D

If you want to spend $ on top notch food, there are a few options. Araxi has the reputation as the go to place, but overated IMHO. Did the the bearfoot bistro degustation once, something like $400ph, before drinks, was good, but not that good;) Hy's does the best steaks in town, but pricey.

The go to place for most locals is rimrock, which is in creekside. Easy to get a cab or bus. Nice, good quality food, local ingredients etc, not at all touristy. If you like Japanese, Nagomi in Blackcomb is good, but probably not as good as the stuff you have been eating lately;)

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

zac150

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
@DidSurfNowSki I’d agree on Purebread, worth the queue and I’m a fan of Brewhouse as well have had good ribs there.

didn’t do earls as friends used to manage so I’ve always avoided, maybe I heard to many stories.

Araxi is in the Blackcomb building and I always looked but @robbo mcs description kind of confirmed my expectations.

I’d also add the Mexican upstairs almost across the road (maybe closer to the lift), we had a great meal there on our last trip.

I do suggest you try the vodka tasting in the ice bar.

Reactions: Chalkie

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Wow you need to get up early here to be first in the lift queue.

2C005A10-79E7-4088-9D4C-49CB50CA4A63.jpeg

For the Whistler Cup races in April our race crew load time for gondola is 6:20 am, we meet at 6:00 for volly breakfast, an egg mcmuffin eaten standing in the drizzle in the gondy plaza. Before that we had to drive to lot 5 and park, put boots on next to the car and ski down to the gondy. Means leaving Creekside accoms at 5:20 so we can be at race site for 7. Life in the big city.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
We’ve officially reached peak ski maps for this trip.

D05DB937-6702-4DB6-90B0-84A771D664DC.jpeg

Going to be a slight update to the ‘places I’ve skied ‘ list ;)

Anyways... today... was a mixed bag.

Got my lift ticket at 7, breakfast at 7:30, ski school pass at 8, queued up at 8:30 and up to the roundhouse at 9:20. Got to love a queue.

345D0AEF-1E57-41AF-9CC3-9E15F488190A.jpeg

The playing pitch is rain and wind affected so everyone was trying to get as high up the hill as possible. Didn’t help that the peak to peak wasn’t running due to ice and the Whistler chairs had huge queues on them.

It was the sort of day our instructor, the delightful Leslie, really earns her pay. She got us through the lift queues and led us through off piste powder all day. (There was a bit of other stuff as well )

So all in all a fun day :) though I could have quite happily missed being taken out on the t-bar on the way to lunch. Poor kid lost control, fell off and took us out.

Time to fire up the coffee pot, investigate pool / tub options and start thinking about dinner.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
We’ve officially reached peak ski maps for this trip.

D05DB937-6702-4DB6-90B0-84A771D664DC.jpeg

Going to be a slight update to the ‘places I’ve skied ‘ list ;)

Anyways... today... was a mixed bag.

Got my lift ticket at 7, breakfast at 7:30, ski school pass at 8, queued up at 8:30 and up to the roundhouse at 9:20. Got to love a queue.

345D0AEF-1E57-41AF-9CC3-9E15F488190A.jpeg

The playing pitch is rain and wind affected so everyone was trying to get as high up the hill as possible. Didn’t help that the peak to peak wasn’t running due to ice and the Whistler chairs had huge queues on them.

It was the sort of day our instructor, the delightful Leslie, really earns her pay. She got us through the lift queues and led us through off piste powder all day. (There was a bit of other stuff as well )

So all in all a fun day :) though I could have quite happily missed being taken out on the t-bar on the way to lunch. Poor kid lost control, fell off and took us out.

Time to fire up the coffee pot, investigate pool / tub options and start thinking about dinner.
Say hi to Leslie for me. She is awesome.

andrew7

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 3, 2007
castlemaine
A couple of food recommendations DSNS:

Ingrids very close to you for brekky
Pasta Lupino
Hunter Gatherer (really good bbq, ribs, craft beers)
Sushi Village
GLC is good for apres ski

Re queues you should find your Monday to Friday queues minimal ( weekends on the other hand!!)

Enjoy, and make sure on Blackcomb (my fave mtn of the 2) you climb Spankys ladder to ski into the serious Diamond, Ruby etc bowls and ski Saudan Coloir at least once.

bomber

Having a good time
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2001
Brisbane
We are in Pan Pacific Village Centre. Just out of the hot tub. Booked for 21 steps tomorrow night

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Oh sweet, I'm staying at the Crystal. Want to catch up at Earls tonight ? If so, name a time to meet at the entrance.

Actually, scratch that. My skiing group is dining at GLC, must run !

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Skied Blackcomb today. Did the GMC race thing this morning. Wasn't feeling it. Lots of off piste skiing in the afternoon in the misty foggy stuff. Skiing got better as the day went on for me. Kind of like going for a long ride, feeling crap at the start but getting better as the ks click over.

Leslie is a wonderful coach. So attentive to each skier in the group and developing their ability. Quite prepared to kick people to other groups and take on others of similar skill level.

So much turns.
So much different terrain.
So many things to do to improve skiing... start turns earlier, 3 main connection points around the boot, turn the boots like you're kicking a ball around a corner, keep the hands out in front of you, keep the shoulders over the front of your boots, transition your weight in the turns to rest your legs, ski the fall line, look down the hill further, look down the hill further, look down the hill further... I need another drink...

End of the day it's all about enjoying skiing...

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
A couple of food recommendations DSNS:

Ingrids very close to you for brekky
Pasta Lupino
Hunter Gatherer (really good bbq, ribs, craft beers)
Sushi Village
GLC is good for apres ski

Re queues you should find your Monday to Friday queues minimal ( weekends on the other hand!!)

Enjoy, and make sure on Blackcomb (my fave mtn of the 2) you climb Spankys ladder to ski into the serious Diamond, Ruby etc bowls and ski Saudan Coloir at least once.

I had dinner at Sushi Village last night - always enjoy it there (yep, it's not Japan but the food there is good enough). One of our team wants to go back later in the week. Pasta Lupino is on for tomorrow night.

We've been dining one night in and one night out.

Breakky at La Brasserie tomorrow I think - we're having a rest day tomorrow.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada

I forgot to take photos of the food, but breakky at La Brasserie was excellent. We ordered the Japa Toast (a cross between French toast/pain perdu/bread pudding), which was cooked in a cast iron skillet, with berry sauce and maple syrup poured over. Major yum.

The waitress (a young lawyer from Qld having a "sabbatical") told us the reason why the food at La Brasserie is so good - many of their cooks and kitchen crew are from Japan!!!

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
I forgot to take photos of the food, but breakky at La Brasserie was excellent. We ordered the Japa Toast (a cross between French toast/pain perdu/bread pudding), which was cooked in a cast iron skillet, with berry sauce and maple syrup poured over. Major yum.

The waitress (a young lawyer from Qld having a "sabbatical") told us the reason why the food at La Brasserie is so good - many of their cooks and kitchen crew are from Japan!!!

Crepe Montagne is good for breakfast as well. Good sweet and savoury options

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
Just had dinner at Pasta Lupino. Excellent

At which table were you sitting? LOLLOLLOL

We just ate there as well. The food was terrific - fresh and housemade tasting (we thought the tomato and artichoke soup was great, as was the pesto vinaigrette salad dressing). On the recommendation of our waitress, we all had the rose sauce with our various pastas. The house red wine was also pretty damn good.

The bill at the end of the meal was the nicest surprise - positively cheap eats by Whistler standards. Dinner for 4 (two courses each) and 2 9oz glasses of wine was $140 including tip.

bomber

Having a good time
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2001
Brisbane
At which table were you sitting? LOLLOLLOL

We just ate there as well. The food was terrific - fresh and housemade tasting (we thought the tomato and artichoke soup was great, as was the pesto vinaigrette salad dressing). On the recommendation of our waitress, we all had the rose sauce with our various pastas. The house red wine was also pretty damn good.

The bill at the end of the meal was the nicest surprise - positively cheap eats by Whistler standards. Dinner for 4 (two courses each) and 2 9oz glasses of wine was $140 including tip.
Three of us first table up from back wall. There was. 4 behind us with two coming in after

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass