Bug Report Cannot upload pics on my phone

IAB

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2005
The Shire, Sydney
Hi @Richard

I'm unable to upload photos on my phone, works ok on the PC.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S9. Used to work great. I've restarted my phone but no joy. It allows me to select a photo, hit Done but then nothing happens - it's like the command hasn't registered at all.

Cheers,

Pat

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
From iPhone
0017568C-A412-4D12-B26A-C4001AE45A7A.jpeg

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Hi @Richard

I'm unable to upload photos on my phone, works ok on the PC.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S9. Used to work great. I've restarted my phone but no joy. It allows me to select a photo, hit Done but then nothing happens - it's like the command hasn't registered at all.

Cheers,

Pat

Pat,

Three things to check please;

1. What's your network connection like? If you are on wifi over ADSL it could be that it is taking a very long time to upload. The upload indicator shows nothing and then suddenly jumps to 100%. How long did you wait exactly?? (If you are on 3/4G data via a telco this is unlikely to be the problem).

2. The upload limit is 10MB - is the image larger than this?

3. Is the image a phone snap or an image from elsewhere? If the image is not a regular phone snap - then is the image a non-standard file format ? The following is the list of allowed image file formats;
gif
jpg
jpeg
jpe
webp

IAB

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2005
The Shire, Sydney
Pat,

Three things to check please;

1. What's your network connection like? If you are on wifi over ADSL it could be that it is taking a very long time to upload. The upload indicator shows nothing and then suddenly jumps to 100%. How long did you wait exactly?? (If you are on 3/4G data via a telco this is unlikely to be the problem).

2. The upload limit is 10MB - is the image larger than this?

3. Is the image a phone snap or an image from elsewhere? If the image is not a regular phone snap - then is the image a non-standard file format ? The following is the list of allowed image file formats;
gif
jpg
jpeg
jpe
webp

Hi Richard,

1) Same result if I'm using 4G or the NBN. I've waited minutes but the upload indicator (that shows the percentage) never appears. It's like the command doesn't register at all
2) < 5MB
3) Yep, phone images. I've tried with a number of different photos.

Weird huh? Could it be a problem with my phone. Used to work just fine, same phone.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Thanks for checking. Must be a problem with my phone but I don't understand why it would suddenly stop working.

What phone browser are you using? Chrome?

Is this the first you have attempted an image upload from you phone since The Great Hammo-ing site crash??

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Mt iPhone 11 does something similar I think.

Easy enough to select pics to upload. But, when you go to install them within your post, using the insert as a full image, requires multiple attempts. Eventually persistence generally pays off. It’s a slow process though...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
@Richard

Can't upload pics from any browser,.... Photobucket links don't seem to work either... ??

more details please

Phone? Android or Apple
Version
Browser
How large the image file size? (Email it to me if practical)

Re: photobucket.
They suck and are no longer link friendly for posting onto other platforms

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
more details please

Phone? Android or Apple
Version
Browser
How large the image file size? (Email it to me if practical)

Re: photobucket.
They suck and are no longer link friendly for posting onto other platforms

It was Andriod phone (S20+), Andriod tablet (Galaxy Tab S4)(both on latest version Samsung browsers) and laptop via Chrome or Edge

File size sub 10 Mb

I did get a weird pop up about "disk access" at one stage though.....

The pic would upload as though normal but once it was loaded, there was no "Thumbnail or full image" options to actually post it in a reply.

The problem seemed to resolve itself after a few hours .....

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
It was Andriod phone (S20+), Andriod tablet (Galaxy Tab S4)(both on latest version Samsung browsers) and laptop via Chrome or Edge

File size sub 10 Mb

I did get a weird pop up about "disk access" at one stage though.....

Thanks,

This was the clue I needed;

The pic would upload as though normal but once it was loaded, there was no "Thumbnail or full image" options to actually post it in a reply.

It seems that we hit our monthly plan limit with the optimisation service (kraken.io) right on the last day of the monthly billing cycle. I have now upgraded our account - others must have been experiencing the issue intermittently as well but not reporting it.

It's kind of a good problem to have because it means that we have more regular members being active and uploading images. Three years ago when we first moved to a subs model the monthly upload was less than 1GB now it's over 5GB of images per month. So whilst it's an increase in an overhead expense it's one that signals a healthy member base.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Thanks,

This was the clue I needed;

It seems that we hit our monthly plan limit with the optimisation service (kraken.io) right on the last day of the monthly billing cycle. I have now upgraded our account - others must have been experiencing the issue intermittently as well but not reporting it.

It's kind of a good problem to have because it means that we have more regular members being active and uploading images. Three years ago when we first moved to a subs model the monthly upload was less than 1GB now it's over 5GB of images per month. So whilst it's an increase in an overhead expense it's one that signals a healthy member base.

Errrr,.... @Richard

It's doing it again.....

No options to display uploaded pics.

One of the attempted pics is uploaded to this post.....

Attachments

• 20200912_111045_018.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 5

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Ok

So there is a delay between the upload indicator bar saying 100%. This delay is usually longer than the upload itself.

This view;
F15BD9CE-5D66-49D8-8491-E2DFF4878FF4.png

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
The reason is that there is an additional optimisation process happening that I added.

It’s an annoying delay and it would be better if the upload Indicator was synced more accurately, but it’s what keeps mobile performance of images snappy.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Yeah I’ve noticed that delay, assumed it was the compression software churning away.

Also on my iPad Pro I’ve had few errors where I select the photo/s I want to upload using the iOS picker, but when I press done, nada. No idea if it’s forum software or OS.

do you know if that is more likely to happen when selecting multiple images??

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
do you know if that is more likely to happen when selecting multiple images??
Yeah I just tried multiple images there and the dialog disappeared when I pressed ‘Done’ and no uploady action.

But I also just tried to upload a single and no bueno.

Because of iCloud photo syncing I usually just jump on my phone when this happens, haven’t had an error on that.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Yeah I just tried multiple images there and the dialog disappeared when I pressed ‘Done’ and no uploady action.

But I also just tried to upload a single and no bueno.

Because of iCloud photo syncing I usually just jump on my phone when this happens, haven’t had an error on that.
Right

so the error is specifically from (mac) desktop with cloud stored pics not yet synced to local?

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
No, iPadOS on iPad Pro. Phone seems to be fine.
I would imagine something similar to what I experience.
With apple photo syncing, a lo-res preview will be available initially on other devices. I then open them fully to force the download and wait for that before attempting to upload to a post. If this hasn't happened, you will sometimes see the little loading circle on the image thumbnail as you attempt to upload

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I would imagine something similar to what I experience.
With apple photo syncing, a lo-res preview will be available initially on other devices. I then open them fully to force the download and wait for that before attempting to upload to a post. If this hasn't happened, you will sometimes see the little loading circle on the image thumbnail as you attempt to upload
Nah I’ve seen that, that’s not it.

It doesn’t work with screenshots I’ve taken on my iPad, or stuff that is definitely synced ie pics I’ve viewed in the photos app.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
This is what just sits there.....

failure to load.JPG

Oddly enough,.... The 52Kb screenshot loaded fine.....

The 7Mb pic is still just sitting there.

Attachments

• donk.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 4

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I just got a pic to load..... But in order to do it I had to get the file size below 1Mb ..... I ended up with a screenshot of the pic I wanted that came in at 228Kb

I had started out with a 7.3Mb pic and resized it down to 2.9Mb with no joy,.... That's when I went with the screenshot option.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Is that tied to quad pixel binning on the 64Mb pics function that drops them to circa 15Mb each ?
couldnt say categorically but likely

The thing is this - the images are uploading - that donk.jpg is a 6MB file that has uploaded fine - but as an attachment, like a PDF file - so it won't be sent for optimisation and it will never show the buttons to insert it, there is nothing to wait for - it's attached to the post, not inline with the post.

Here it is;
https://ski-forum.imgix.net/2020/09/267398_6d3491c7a24f8f1f82eae9531fd22386.JPG

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
@main street

Can you see if you are able to set the 'Share as jpeg' option to On from the instructions found here;

https://www.technologieshare.com/heres-how-to-make-galaxy-s10-camera-photos-take-less-storage-space

Look for the following text;
How to share high efficiency images as standard images
The Galaxy S10 comes with an option in the Gallery app that allows you to share every .heic image as a standard .jpg image when you’re sharing them with other apps and devices. Follow the steps below to enable that option.

Step 1: Open the Gallery app.

Step 2: Tap the three-dot button on the top right and tap Settings.

Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: main street

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Ok.... its when I use the 64Mb hi res option on the S20+

This was just taken at "full" definition on the S20+ ..... circa 2.2 Mb file size...

20200914_202456.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass