Bug Report Cannot upload pics on my phone

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
@main street

Can you see if you are able to set the 'Share as jpeg' option to On from the instructions found here;

https://www.technologieshare.com/heres-how-to-make-galaxy-s10-camera-photos-take-less-storage-space

Look for the following text;

Let us know how you get on.

Ok,..... I've had the time to sit and run through some options.....

Firstly,....I run an S20+ not an S10,.... That notwithstanding, I do have the options as listed to switch TO .heif from the default JPG on the pics taken at 64Mb resolution.

My next obvious question is why would I want to enable .heif conversion (to save space, when I have 1Tb of storage on my phone and file size is the least of my concerns) ..... AND then have to convert those pics back to JPG in order to share them ? ..... Sorry,.... But I'm in the "WTF" zone on that one.....

So,.... Here are the details on 4 shots I took this morning.....

file type.JPG

Pic 110130 was taken at "full" pic type on the phone..... Loads just fine.... Thus....

20200915_110130.jpg

I won't bore you with repeated pics, but 110212 (taken at 3:4) .... and 110240 (taken at 9:16) both load fine and give me the "insert full image" option.

Then..... 110256 was taken at 3:4 in the 64Mb mode.... Creating a file of 11.7Mb and obviously that is too large and give a file size error.

So I used Nikon ViewNX2 to compress the pic down to a JPG of 3.49Mb ..... & guess what..... Doesn't load.

However,......

When I resize the dimensions of that 110256 down to 4032 pixels x 3024 (creating 110256_026 ), it loads..... even at zero compression with the file size now down under 10Mb..... Thus:

20200915_110256_026.JPG

These are the files as they sit on my system.....

file type 2.JPG

& here are all the file upload shots....

upload status.JPG

This tells me it has zero to do with .heif and everything to do with picture dimensions.

Can you allow the larger pic dimensions while still capping overall file size for pic uploads ?

Obviously, if I'm taking pics that I want to upload for posting, I'll need to resize them on the lappy,..... Or I use a different pic option for certain shots if I want to immediately upload from the phone...... But I have zero need or want to go down the .heif road.....

This doesn't just affect me,.... It will hit everone with newer phone cameras that take higher res shots as standard.

Does this help you at all ?

:)

Attachments

• 20200915_110240.jpg
    20200915_110240.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200915_110240.jpg
    20200915_110240.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20200915_110256_023.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20200915_110256_024.JPG
    20200915_110256_024.JPG
    854.1 KB · Views: 5

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
AND then have to convert those pics back to JPG in order to share them ?

My read on that setting (as I don’t have a Samsung), is that, like iPhones, it automatically converts upon upload .heif to .jpg when ‘sharing’ - which would be sharing via any platform or message system for compatibility - these forums included - no intervention required when the setting is ‘on’

as to .heif It’s a superior image format for a bunch of reasons which you can research yourself and decide upon. We are in a transition period but eventually .heif will be the default file format for all phone cameras and all the platforms will cater to the new format

Anyway, I think we have solved your particular issue which was you were uploading non-standard image files it would seem.

(edit: nup, but solved now)

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
OK getting a bit more to the bottom of the iPad thing, this photo wouldn’t load a minute ago despite being downloaded to my device by iCloud:

93C144F1-8D03-4F1E-BA6C-3AB06F0055E1.jpeg

I’ve got it setup to sync regularly with no regard for data / time of day which are settings. When something isn’t synced and you view it in the photos app you get a low res thumbnail and a progress circle, and if you try to direct upload an unsynced pic you get the progress circle in the image picker as per @kylep ‘s post.

However I just remembered when you go to Edit a photo on iPad, it downloads a copy again, that’s what I did here - tried to upload the car pic, no dice, went in to Photos, hit edit, it downloaded, exited edit, hit upload and it worked. So it looks like the full, full pic isn’t synced to my iPad and for whatever reason the version that is synced won’t upload.

So this is a pretty edge case, I guess I”ve solved it for myself more than anything, but just in case people can’t upload iCloud synced pics, this might be why.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
OK getting a bit more to the bottom of the iPad thing, this photo wouldn’t load a minute ago despite being downloaded to my device by iCloud:

93C144F1-8D03-4F1E-BA6C-3AB06F0055E1.jpeg

I’ve got it setup to sync regularly with no regard for data / time of day which are settings. When something isn’t synced and you view it in the photos app you get a low res thumbnail and a progress circle, and if you try to direct upload an unsynced pic you get the progress circle in the image picker as per @kylep ‘s post.

However I just remembered when you go to Edit a photo on iPad, it downloads a copy again, that’s what I did here - tried to upload the car pic, no dice, went in to Photos, hit edit, it downloaded, exited edit, hit upload and it worked. So it looks like the full, full pic isn’t synced to my iPad and for whatever reason the version that is synced won’t upload.

So this is a pretty edge case, I guess I”ve solved it for myself more than anything, but just in case people can’t upload iCloud synced pics, this might be why.
Yeah I find sometimes it seems like it's done, but it's not quite. So then just play with stuff to try to force a 'state change'. I also have a variety of 'workflow' (generous term) for posting photos to the forum, depending on what I took the photo on, and what I'm posting from. iphone 8, ipad mini 4, MBP, Mac Air, and it could be a phone photo, a proper camera photo exported from LR, or proper photo downloaded from online album. Each has considerations

Reactions: CarveMan

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Does this help you at all ?

Yes,

So thanks Main Street for your efforts

There is no image dimension restriction at all - you can upload as large a dimension image as you like.

But... as your posts revealed - the very large dimensions get uploaded as an attachment (so nothing to do with the file format which was my initial suspicion) but why ??????

So I did some testing (above) and even though there is no width x height restrictions - there was something going on.

And after some Googling - it turned out to be a xenforo server config setting where there is a maximum pixel count beyond which the image processor is bypassed - hence the uploads as attachments not images.

Code:
$config['maxImageResizePixelCount'] = 40000000;
## The maximum size of an image (in total numbers of pixels) that XenForo will attempt to resize. Images larger than this will simply not be resized and thus may be rejected. This is calculated using width × height.

I've now increased by 5x from 40,000,000 to 200,000,000 (Note: @kylep @CarveMan )

Always there is someone who breaks the settings...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
The pic didn't display in the post before actually hitting the post button..... this was done from the phone though....

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Yes,

There is no image dimension restriction at all - you can upload as large a dimension image as you like.

But... as your posts revealed - the very large dimensions get uploaded as an attachment (so nothing to do with the file format which was my initial suspicion) but why ??????

So I did some testing (above) and even though there is no width x height restrictions - there was something going on.

And after some Googling - it turned out to be a xenforo server config setting where there is a maximum pixel count beyond which the image processor is bypassed - hence the uploads as attachments not images.

Code:
## The maximum size of an image (in total numbers of pixels) that XenForo will attempt to resize. Images larger than this will simply not be resized and thus may be rejected. This is calculated using width × height.

I've now increased by 5x from 40,000,000 to 200,000,000 (Note: @kylep @CarveMan )

*runs off to find a stitched pano..

Can you remind us Richard, the zenforo plugin allows a higher res image to be uploaded, but resizes down to a setting of your/programmed choice? eg MS uploaded larger than my screen res, but full size viewing is still below my screen res

Reactions: main street

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
*runs off to find a stitched pano..

Can you remind us Richard, the zenforo plugin allows a higher res image to be uploaded, but resizes down to a setting of your/programmed choice? eg MS uploaded larger than my screen res, but full size viewing is still below my screen res

The original image is uploaded, file is optimised for file size (dimensions are not changed) and stored.

Upon display, the original image is fetched VIA a dynamic image server - which RESIZES & OPTIMISES the image for both mobile and desktop

max width on desktop is 1600 px (including tablets)
max width on mobile is 415 px

The first time an image is fetched by the dynamic image server, the resized files are cached for 30 days and subsequent fetches are delivered by CDN.

In this way, we always have the original image saved at full size whilst page load performance remains lean and fast - and if I want to adjust the max size on desktop or mobile it is a simply a configuration change

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
The original image is uploaded, file is optimised for file size (dimensions are not changed) and stored.

Upon display, the original image is fetched VIA a dynamic image server - which RESIZES & OPTIMISES the image for both mobile and desktop

max width on desktop is 1600 px (including tablets)
max width on mobile is 415 px

The first time an image is fetched by the dynamic image server, the resized files are cached for 30 days and subsequent fetches are delivered by CDN.

In this way, we always have the original image saved at full size whilst page load performance remains lean and fast - and if I want to adjust the max size on desktop or mobile it is a simply a configuration change
Thanks for the explanation.

You just reminded me (sorry) - when viewing images on my ipad mini - there is no enlarge on click active. On same images on phone and desktop the enlargement happens. Possible that the ipad mini is being treated as mobile as the reason for this?

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Edit to above - in landscape orientation, the image seems to start larger, and on click will enlarge. In portrait orientation the image seems to start smaller, and not enlarge on click.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Yes,

Code:

Still no worky here but I wonder how much is iPadOS and how much is the forum software.

It’s a bit annoying as it’s nice to have photos taken on my phone automagically sync to my iPad which is my couch browsing / content consuming / shitposting device.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass