Trip Report Canterbury and McKenzies 2018

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by soza, Jun 8, 2018.

1. soza

soza Addicted

Starting a thread for the Canterbury and McKenzie fields.
    Opening day at Hutt today and what s start, best opening day cover in 20 years.
    All lifts turning and plenty up making the most of the perfect weather.

essjaywhy and Dumphfish like this.
  2. soza

soza Addicted

Photos from opening day

chunky, Froff Life, Summit and 3 others like this.
  3. soza

soza Addicted

First day up the hill with the family. We had a late start and missed most of the crowds who were leaving around lunch time when summit six went on wind hold. Worked out well as the winds eased and both main chairs ran the rest of the day. Snow was in real good condition with snow off the groomers softening up since yesterday. Plenty of sharks, glad im on my early season rock hopper and not my new set up.

4. soza

soza Addicted

Back up at Hutt today and the midweek rain has done a bit of damage although Sunday's looking good for a top up. Was a warm one today, spring like conditions and hardly anyone one the hill. Tomorrow will be a whole different story.
    Posted a video of the conditions

Summit and Born2ski like this.
  5. KL.

KL. One of Us

considering the rain, the snow looks ok (just). how did it finish up?

soza likes this.
  6. Summit

Summit Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

I remember in the early 90's when Mt Hutt used to open on the second weekend in May. Wonder if it was more the lack of people or snow that caused them to delay opening for a month.

soza likes this.
  7. soza

soza Addicted

We had a nice 20cm top up mid week so Friday was sweet. Might get up again tomorrow, will have to see what's happening with the wind.

8. soza

soza Addicted

I think with the amount of snowmaking they do up at Hutt they could very well have opened up in May this year. Lack of paying customers I would guess what with most locals grabbing the cheap season passes.
    Has been busy on weekends, more so than this early in the season last year.
    I'm hanging out for Dobson to open but by the look of the cams they need another big dump yet.

Summit likes this.
  9. soza

soza Addicted

Friday was real nice, we let the boy have a sickie from school and all headed up to Hutt for a great day. Still a few hidden surprises off the groomers but the mountain was freshly covered and looking very nice indeed. As were the views from up top.

#9 soza, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    ians 158 likes this.
  10. KL.

KL. One of Us

20cm of snow, definitely sweet

11. KL.

KL. One of Us

that 20cms of fresh snow looks nice and dry and it's great you were there to enjoy it.

soza likes this.
  12. soza

soza Addicted

Hutt wad closed due to strong winds today. Hopefully tomorrow should be open. Roundhill opens next weekend and Dobson the week after. Doubt we will be heading to Hutt much then but it really is a godsend early season....and late come to think of it.

chunky and windy like this.
  13. soza

soza Addicted

Another 15cm at Hutt on Sunday made conditions perfect today. Some nice powder stashes and with temps of -6 and clear blue skies it was the perfect way to spend a Monday

Dumphfish likes this.
  14. soza

soza Addicted

Roundhill opens tomorrow and Dobson next Friday....plus a few others like porters and broken river due to open. Had to settle for Hutt again today but can't complain, had a really good month up at Hutt the snow has been great, crowds manageable and the weather kind....only one day closed due to winds so far.

chunky, Summit, Fozzie Bear and 3 others like this.
  15. soza

soza Addicted

Nice day up at Dobo. Closed yesterday so when the lift turned today at 11am you could find lots of windblown stashes from the previous nights top up.
    Striped bare high up and no good for exploring the ridges and out wide, so different to this time last year.
    The Mrs got to try the new skis out and looks to have had lots of fun.

16. pedub

pedub One of Us

Hows Dobson looking now? in the cams it looks a little bare in places?

Will arrive Thursday in Canterbury and looking at all options, about as far south as Ohau will be our limit

17. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - 30 Day

This season hasn't really seen any big east/south east snow events, Dobson will be just so-so. Go to Ohau.

soza likes this.
  18. soza

soza Addicted

Yeah it's a bit bare, wind has stripped lots high up and out to the right of the T-bar.
    The bowl under the chair is nice as are all the groomers. We keep getting little flurries of a couple of cm every day or two but could really do with one more big top up.

19. pedub

pedub One of Us

Quick trip into Mackenzie this weekend. Ohau Friday and Dobson Sunday.
    Definitely less snow on the ground generally there compared to last season but the ski area bowls had really decent cover overall. Better than 2016 definitely (I am looking at photos of that season right now).

Ohau got a dusting that day and varied visibility, until the end of the day it cleared and the ridge was opened for an hour. We drove back to Twizel and crashed at a seemingly deserted motel complex. Had an en suite room for $90, backing right onto the main restaurant area in the town. A lot of Panhead on tap and mt cook salmon sashimi later, we could easily stumble back to the room :D

The next day we headed to Mt Cook village. I have not been there for 20 years and my partner has never been. We talked to some heliski operators and checked out the DOC center, its well worth it !! Also fit in a walk to view Lake Tasman and the glacier. We headed back to Fairlie with a soak in the hot springs in Tekapo on the way. This was a magic day, so calm.

Then Dobson yesterday, first time there. Really enjoyed it, cover was decent enough but it seems quite exposed and the wind stripped ridges definitely showed that. There was just enough cover to do a little off piste above lift and to the gully below the chair. Can see how it would be great here when you time it right.

The snow quality at Ohau and Dobson was really good overall, did not come across any ice or crust. The freeze levels were staying low enough. Also the elevation at Dobo is pretty decent? (highest carpark in NZ?)

20. soza

soza Addicted

Looks like you had a great little trip. Was nice up at Dobo on Sunday, quite a few people on the hill. Not sure if it's the highest car park but I know the T bar goes up to 2000m. Yeah last season was amazing with that extra 100cm base.
    We are in Tekapo this weekend so will get to ski roundhill for the first time this season.... looking forward to the hot springs.

21. pedub

pedub One of Us

I scrolled up and noticed your sons jacket in the videos and now I come to think of it, i'm pretty sure I saw you guys!! I think we unloaded right behind you at the top of the chair on 1 run....

soza likes this.
  22. soza

soza Addicted

Had a nice weekend in Tekapo, heading off home tomorrow and will hopefully call into Dobo on the way back.
    Roundhill wasn't looking too good with a serious lack of snow compared to this time last year. Still the views are amazing and it was nice to spend time somewhere different.
    Average season in this neck of the woods....fox peak don't even look like they will get to open.

#22 soza, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  23. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

@BoofHead @Beerman

Few pics from my tour through the craigieburns.
    Skinned up middle basin to the craigieburn day lodge.

Somewhere between Broken River and Cheeseman.

Looking back towards Cheeseman ski field.

Attached Files:

24. essjaywhy

essjaywhy Addicted

Well , scored beautiful pow at Fox last year ...

soza likes this.
  25. Old School Mike

Old School Mike Addicted

Love your pics. That trip you did is definitely on my hit list!

Dave6 likes this.
  26. soza

soza Addicted

Few pics from the last couple of weeks at Dobo and Roundhill.
    Didn't think we would get to the end of August at one point but a nice 40cm dump a couple if weeks ago saved the season.
    Fun spring conditions and plenty of bluebird days had.

Attached Files: